Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.66%
15.85%
47.56%
10.98%
10.98%
3.66%
4.88%
1.22%
1.22%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
But you would hear the term "green, animal woman"

Well, Turnabout Intruder acknowledged the Federation was sexist...
Old 07-25-16, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I enjoyed it. Lots of good action though a lot of the fight scenes are filmed too close. Let the camera breath a little!

The majority of the humor fell flat. You could tell they were trying but very few lines actually hit the funny bone. I think there were only two lines that got a laugh from the packed audience I saw it with today.

Nice nods to the original series. The CG was generally good except the awful aliens in the first scene. They were terrible and the CG was so bad, I was very afraid of what was maybe to come. Luckily it was way better after that.

I saw it in IMAX 3D. The 3D was generally flat except in the CG scenes. Not much depth at all which was disappointing. Bright and colorful though.

I was mixed on the usage of "Sabotage." While it actually fit pretty well with what was going on, it was also cheesy. But it was also my 12 year old son's favorite part. He loved it when they were blowing the shit out of the aliens and the song was pumping. It didn't bother me and I guess it was just as well as having a generic action score playing during that scene. Cheesy but gave it some flavor if that makes sense.

The alien Jai-La (or whatever her name was) is a great character and very enjoyable. Look forward to seeing her in the future. I was hoping that her and Scotty might get a little heat going. Nice change of pace from Kirk always getting the hot alien chicks and it was nice that they didn;t go in that direction.

The villain was one-note and not very interesting. Was it explained why he transformed some in the end scene. I didn't quite understand that.

I think the guy doing Spock didn't do as well in this movie. He just seemed to be missing something. His attempts at dry Spock humor just didn't catch this time. Maybe it was him or maybe it was the script. Everyone else was great and it was sad thinking about that Anton recently dying every time he showed up on screen.

I thought the scene with them showing Sulu had a husband was nice but they lingered just a little too long on it like they were trying to hit you over the head. Someone in this thread said that George Takei didn't like it. I hadn't heard that. Can anyone explain why?

All in all, a very enjoyable throwback to a normal Star Trek original series episode...with just a lot more action and better special effects. I and my family really enjoyed it even though it won't necessarily knock your socks off. It has its problems but they are minor in my opinion and did not detract from me enjoying it.

My rating - 4 out of 5
This is spot on with my assessment of the movie. Good, not great. Tons of action and it "felt" like it should have been a home run for me... but something was flat about it. Maybe it was the fact that we didn't know who the antagonist was until 95% of the movie was over, so his motives were unclear and I never felt like I cared what he intended to do.
Old 07-25-16, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Perhaps something was "off" in the room I saw it in, but I (and the friends I saw it with) had a problem with the 3D. The polarized lens (being tinted) obviously darken what you're seeing, and their was an abundance of darkly-lit scenes in the movie, all of which played as very murky. I haven't had this type of problem with a film since theaters went digital; I found myself thinking "This will look much better on home video." I wished I had chosen 2D.

I tend to agree with the last couple of commenters about the film. It was "watchable" enough, but the villain just didn't grab me and was easily upstaged by "Jaylah".

Last edited by DWilson; 07-25-16 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-25-16, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Saw it last night and I thought it was fantastic. The feel of the characters felt so much better this time. They were just getting put together in the first one and Into Darkness was so grim, but despite the situation they were put in here, they truly felt like they had been out in space together for two years and had really gotten to know each other.

Originally Posted by Superman07
Whoever said this felt like a TV episode, I had the same thought. It's certainly not a bad thing. I actually reminded me of Insurrection in that regard. Whereas Insurrection didn't pull it off, this did with a good balance of actions, humor, pacing and direction.
This. Absolutely this. Insurrection lacked the cinematic scale necessary to do the whole "episode on the big screen" trick, but Beyond nailed it.

And though I doubt they had it in mind when they were filming, I would also like to nominate Jayla for new Nav officer in the next movie.

And I thought the villain's history was a great shoutout to the franchise's history. There's so many untold stories from that era.
Old 07-25-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Not to mention all of the racist shit that was constantly being thrown at Spock by McCoy and others. He's called names, had slurs used against him, and is frequently mistrusted by other members of the crew simply for being Vulcan.

(Of course the Vulcans in ST '09 were kind of racist dicks, too.)
McCoy was just fighting against a double standard.

On Vulcan, "green-blooded hobgoblin" was familiar and affectionate. They would say things like:
"Yo yo yo, you green-blooded fool, where you been hiding at?"
"In da club, tapping that Andorian ass!"
"You are the mack hobgoblin!"
"You got that right, hobby!"

But then when a white man like McCoy tries to use that slang, he's called a racist.
Old 07-25-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I really wanted to have a blast with this one, but wow, was Justin Lin a horrible choice for a director.

My biggest issues with the film were the horrible shaky cam approach to a handful of action scenes and the complete wasted casting of Idris Elba. It doesn't help that the supposed big plot twist is spoiled early on when Elba is visible in a crew photo aboard the Franklin only slightly out of focus over Spock's shoulder.

Pegg's script does its best to evoke the original series quite well, and there are moments where I felt the film was going to really swing for the fences (when Jaylah and Scotty find Kirk and Chekov in her trap, there's a nice musical cue by Giacchino that is vintage TOS scoring), but ultimately it backs off nine times out of ten.

The use of Sabotage I argue, will be debated for years to come; either it's one of the most brilliant left-field moments in the entire 50-year franchise or one of the most cringeworthy; I'm definitely an advocate of the latter.

Overall, "Beyond" feels like a half-hearted attempt to capture some very brief moments of what made TOS fun, but does so by seemingly using "Insurrection" as an example. Say what you will about "Final Frontier", but I'll take its bold but misguided script over this ultimately pointless endeavor. Ultimately, the real capper on the whole film are the performances which aside from Urban, Yelchin, Boutella (Jaylah), and Pegg, are phoned in and apathetic.

While "Beyond" is a definite improvement in overall ambition from "Into Darkness" it's by no means a great film and hard to argue it's even a good film. The goodwill from Abrams' original entry is all put gone from this new series' sails.
Old 07-25-16, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

As of right now 68.18% of the votes here are 4 stars or higher. That's pretty darned good.

As is the movie.
Old 07-25-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boba Fett

My biggest issues with the film were the horrible shaky cam approach to a handful of action scenes and the complete wasted casting of Idris Elba. It doesn't help that the supposed big plot twist is spoiled early on when Elba is visible in a crew photo aboard the Franklin only slightly out of focus over Spock's shoulder.
How the hell could you see that? In the scene where Uhura is playing the video over and over I couldn't figure out who she was looking for, and I eventually made the connection the same way she did (the sound of his accent saying 'frontier')

The use of Sabotage I argue, will be debated for years to come; either it's one of the most brilliant left-field moments in the entire 50-year franchise or one of the most cringeworthy; I'm definitely an advocate of the latter.
I'm with the former. The song was already established in the franchise, and this was the type of scenario where the crew on TNG/DS9/VOY would have made up some nonsense about an "inverse resonance wave, sub-refracted through a Brownian-motion generator" and it wouldn't have really meant anything to the audience. This had resonance both in the movie (Jayla listening to the old music to learn the language, and then as a cultural FU to Krall's plan) and outside of the movie as it's, again, a callback to the first movie and the new attitude and fresh approach to the franchise.
Old 07-25-16, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Perhaps something was "off" in the room I saw it in, but I (and the friends I saw it with) had a problem with the 3D. The polarized lens (being tinted) obviously darken what you're seeing, and their was an abundance of darkly-lit scenes in the movie, all of which played as very murky. I haven't had this type of problem with a film since theaters went digital; I found myself thinking "This will look much better on home video." I wished I had chosen 2D.
Had the exact same problem and the same thoughts in my theater.
Old 07-25-16, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I did not have an issue with the Krall reveal. I'm very observant on those types of things, but did not figure it out until Uhura did. I did pick up on the trinket being of significance because the camera lingered and the screen glitches when Spock put it in the vault.

I'm indifferent on the song. I do think it fit the context as was mentioned above, especially as the alien had been listening to old earth music.

Also, the only scene I felt was too frantic, over the top and difficult to follow was when they went back to the saucer and we're trying to escape. With all the flips and twists, I found it hard to determine who was where and what was going on.
Old 07-25-16, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

but did not figure it out until Uhura did.

Likewise, because she kept rewinding it and it was focusing on the black dude mouthing something - then you see Idris in the background.
Old 07-25-16, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Maybe you guys would have liked this more?
Old 07-25-16, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Saw a matinee today. Used the Movie Cash ($8) from buying the new Wrath of Khan Blu-Ray. Only paid $2 out of pocket.

Not going to write some extended Nathaniel Hawthorne or Star Trek nerd analysis. Overall thought it was significantly better than Into Darkness. Very fast paced and I liked the humor to lighten it up a bit. Liked the little nod to Nimoy and the orginal crew. Great scenes between Quinto and Urban. Loved the chemistry and humor with them together.

Agree about Jayla. I liked her as well. Thought she was a nice addition to the cast. She could be a decent crew member replacement for Chekov if they go into that direction. But she does have to finish Starfleet Academy first. I didn't mind the Sulu married/gay thing. Thought it was very subtle in the context of things.

So sad that Yelchin is no longer with us. Chekov had a huge presence in this movie and was quite good and funny.

A very solid addition to the series. I'll definitely watch this again when it hits BD in the Fall/Winter and add it to my Trek collection.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-25-16 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-25-16, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Nice change of pace from Kirk always getting the hot alien chicks and it was nice that they didn;t go in that direction.
I was disappointed that they didn't follow up with Kirk hooking up with Carol Marcus. I mean how else is David going to be born and be an adult into time for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.
Old 07-26-16, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Likewise, because she kept rewinding it and it was focusing on the black dude mouthing something - then you see Idris in the background.
Unfortunately, one of the TV ads showed Elba's "human" face and so I knew that plot turn was coming (or at least the nature of it).
Old 07-26-16, 01:33 AM

As a HUGE ST:TNG fan, but never watched any of the original series, I feel like I should be in the prime target zone for the new movie series, since I have no attachment to the original, but I just can't get into the new movies. My complaints;

1) Minor issue, but I HATE stuff like Scotty jumping out of his life boat just in time and one hand catching/hanging off the edge of the cliff. Freaking 140lb Simon Peg has the grip strength of a freaking cyborg?!

2) Krall was a shit villain. I know the Avengers just did it, but it would of made more sense if Krall was trying to drive a wedge into the Federation races and revert to conflict like he loved, rather than generic "grr I hate you all you must die grr!"

3) 200+ year old Krall, stranded on an abandoned planet, using out dated probes and mining equipment was able to completely hack all of Starfleet? Is there no IT security department in the future?

4) Motorcycles and Sabotage. Nuff said.

Overall, it wasen't horrible, but definitely a one time viewing. I just felt it was too scattered with a lazy plot.
Old 07-26-16, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

4) Motorcycles and Sabotage. Nuff said.
There's two previous films with motorcycles and Sabotage. It's been a theme for quite a while now.
Old 07-26-16, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but I thought Kirk's line toward the beginning of the movie about life aboard the Enterprise during the five-year mission feeling "episodic" was a nice touch.
Old 07-26-16, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Yes, it would have been much better to put the crew on the loudspeaker and have Kirk, Spock and McCoy sing "Row, row, row your boat."

Did fans get this upset when they used "Magic Carpet Ride" in First Contact? I can't remember. I love that moment.
Old 07-26-16, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yes, it would have been much better to put the crew on the loudspeaker and have Kirk, Spock and McCoy sing "Row, row, row your boat."

Did fans get this upset when they used "Magic Carpet Ride" in First Contact? I can't remember. I love that moment.
I seem to recall the theater loving that moment back in the day.

I don't get it, for years Trekkies have complained about the show only using classical pieces, saying that the characters would have more varied tastes in music (of course, the real reason being the TV shows didn't have the budget) and now we get something different and people are still complaining.
Old 07-26-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I seem to recall the theater loving that moment back in the day.

I don't get it, for years Trekkies have complained about the show only using classical pieces, saying that the characters would have more varied tastes in music (of course, the real reason being the TV shows didn't have the budget) and now we get something different and people are still complaining.
In the various incarnations of Trek, our time: the 20th (and 21st century) is considered savage and backward (with redeeming features) by the people of the 23rd and 24th century.

"Magic Carpet Ride" worked in First Contact worked because it came from a 21st Century person (Zefram Cochrane) not Riker and Geordi. If it were Riker and Geordi going: "Let's bust out some Beastie Boys!", it would get the reaction Beyond is currently getting currently.

In The Voyage Home, it's funny watching Kirk, Spock and Co. try to awkwardly assimilate to late 20th century Earth. NuKirk and NuSpock would fit in just fine in that era--and that undercuts an important thread in Star Trek lore.

Last edited by PatD; 07-26-16 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-26-16, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
In The Voyage Home, it's funny watching Kirk, Spock and Co. try to awkwardly assimilate to late 20th century Earth. NuKirk and NuSpock would fit in just fine in that era--and that undercuts an important thread in Star Trek lore.
I had that thought before the movie started, "if they do a fourth film with most of this cast, what if they tried a time travel to our times?" I quickly realized the sensibilities of this incarnation wouldn't have anywhere near the humor of TOS crew in 1986.
Old 07-26-16, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
There's two previous films with motorcycles and Sabotage. It's been a theme for quite a while now.
Yeah, JJ Abrams self indulgence. And for the record, I'm really sick of seeing Greg Grunberg. He has no business being in front of a camera. Truly terrible.

Last edited by hasslein; 07-26-16 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-26-16, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am a lot more forgiving of Peter Jackson's excessive digital tracking shots all of a sudden. They may look like video games, but at least they develop an actual sense of geography. These make me dizzy. Turn the damn shots right side up. Yet AGAIN, a revenge-drunk villain who wants to destroy the Federation! How many times are we going to the Khan 2.0 well? Yet AGAIN, a fake-out Kirk sacrifice. Lin is a talent action director, but he's obviously way more at home with vehicles, as evidenced by the motorcycle set piece, then with the space stuff and CGI. He's not as TV as Abrams, but this looks too damn cluttered. The F&F movies may be silly, but they have a physicality that this CGI lacks. As is a chronic problem with Trek, the designs for the alien worlds and technology are largely disappointingly uninspired. Kirk and Chekov sliding down the saucer was a little Michael Bay.

That said, there were lots of things to like. The new cast have a lot of fun, and splitting up the characters was smart. It was nice watching them play off of each other in different situations. Quinto and Urban do the Bones/Spock dynamic really well, opposites who are also best friends, and whereas they could've just written out Spock Prime with a single line, the tribute to Nimoy actually feels quite touching, and dovetails really nicely with the arc they gave Spock 2.0. They genuinely do try to find more stuff for the characters to do, and having Scotty jury-rig a low-tech ship was a nice touch, and did a good job of harkening back to the low-fi style of TOS in places, forcing the character to use their brains to solve problems. Seeing an NX-class ship was also really cool. It's also nice to get back to some exploration of an alien world. We spend a good chunk of time there in the second act before the space opera. Elba is a great choice for a villain (Him having evil clones vs. the diversity of the Federation is kind of a nice beat thematically), but like Oscar Isaac in X-Men, it's a shame to have an actor so good and so charismatic buried under so damn much makeup.

Oh, and I swear, someone has reincarnated DeForest Kelly in the body of Karl Urban.
Old 07-26-16, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
In the various incarnations of Trek, our time: the 20th (and 21st century) is considered savage and backward (with redeeming features) by the people of the 23rd and 24th century.

"Magic Carpet Ride" worked in First Contact worked because it came from a 21st Century person (Zefram Cochrane) not Riker and Geordi. If it were Riker and Geordi going: "Let's bust out some Beastie Boys!", it would get the reaction Beyond is currently getting currently.
But it wasn't a member of the crew who picked the song in Beyond...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.