Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.66%
15.85%
47.56%
10.98%
10.98%
3.66%
4.88%
1.22%
1.22%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

This was a really good installment. Looking forward to another.

Spoiler:
I liked that Chekov had a lot of scenes. Was it just me or did the U.S.S. Franklin look similar to the Enterprise from the Enterprise TV series?
Old 07-22-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

3 films in - time to reintroduce the Borg for film #4. Make it so.
Old 07-22-16, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

The RogerEbert.com review here:
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-trek-beyond-2016

It nails my feelings exactly.
Old 07-22-16, 04:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

really enjoyed this one. great mix of humor, story and action. just really well done and good jobs done by all. very fun. looking forward to another with this crew. the "photo" was a nice nod as well. did think the 3D sucked. at least in my theater. virtually non-existent to my eyes.

Old 07-22-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't like it at all, it seems the packed theatre audience agreed with me. Dead silence. Anything Bad Robot touches has amateurishly written, cliche dialogue and that is my big pet peeve. The "Nimoy" scenes felt forced, and "Sulu is gay" just seemed pandering (which I find hilarious that it backfired when George Takei was pissed about it)

I'm not a fan of next generation, but the only moment that got a rise out of me (other than Jaylah) was when Kirk said -

Spoiler:
Make it so.
Old 07-22-16, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I gave it 3/5 but have come to the conclusion that this version of Trek just isn't for me. I didn't dislike it as much as the first two but if the series goes forward it will be doing so without me. I still have my TOS and TNG episodes and films to keep me happy.
Old 07-22-16, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Saw this today (packed theater). I really enjoyed this one, and like a few others have said, it feels like this cast now as a good cohesiveness. I think this is the best of the new ones and it did have a good flavor for old trek.

The only thing I felt was over the top was the stuff with the motorcycle.

My theater was also giving out the red poster.
Old 07-22-16, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Was it just me or did the U.S.S. Franklin look similar to the Enterprise from the Enterprise TV series?[/spoiler]
This movie included references to Enterprise as canon: Xindi and MACOs
Old 07-22-16, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Cow

The only thing I felt was over the top was the stuff with the motorcycle.
Yeah, those poser moments are another reason not a fan of this reboot.
Old 07-22-16, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed this as a summer action picture, but did not think it was very special as a Trek installment.

I thought the reveal of Krall's true identity was pointless. Nothing he did as a villain was especially meaningful because he was once a good guy. I know that was intended to create complexity to the character, but Krall was just your standard issue insane killer. Of course he kills indiscriminately except when he has Sulu or Uhura in his grasp.

I wanted to scream at the screen when Kirk had Krall beaten but did not kill him. Why do filmmakers think we want to see our heroes be stupid at critical moments?

Great Beyond drinking game: Take a shot every time Scotty says "Lassie"

Loved that the script separated the crew into unusual pairings to create some new dynamics, but there was too much emphasis on action and CGI.

Screening I went to had a lot of kids. Maybe I am just getting too old for this shit.
Old 07-22-16, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Face hugger head lady will give me nightmares forever. I thought her head shape was a little too similar to the main villains. At first I thought she was one of them.
Old 07-22-16, 09:39 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku

I wanted to scream at the screen when Kirk had Krall beaten but did not kill him. Why do filmmakers think we want to see our heroes be stupid at critical moments?
May I refer to TOS episodes "Arena" and "Spectre of the Gun". This is actually a step in the right direction in terms of making it more like The Original Star Trek.

And frankly I find it an improvement over Kirk and Spock summarily executing a helpless Nero and his crew at the end of the first film--like it was fucking "Firefly" or something...

Last edited by PatD; 07-22-16 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-22-16, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

2/5 from me. I thought it was the weakest of the 3 new Star Trek movies so far. It felt like ST: Insurrection, for some reason. Cheap and rushed just to get a new Trek out by a certain date. I don't know if that's the case, but it sure felt like it to me.

It wasn't funny. The majority of the action was dull. We saw the Enterprise destroyed...again. The motorcycle stuff was even more ridiculous than I thought it would be. The villain is boring and, about halfway through the movie, it's pretty easy to predict what his big reveal is. And, Jesus Christ, that fucking ending. So much of this movie felt like it was ripped off of other movies/sci-fi properties, including Star Trek itself.

I don't mean to troll, but this was super disappointing.

I did like Sofia Boutella, though. And there were a lot of really good looking shots/sequences in the movie. It was definitely fun to watch.

And I also liked the original cast 'cameo'.
Old 07-22-16, 11:54 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
We saw the Enterprise destroyed...again.
It wouldn't be a Star Trek movie without this!

Wife and I took this in today and really enjoyed it. Much better than Into Darkness (which I liked) but still behind the first. Nice that every character got some attention, got a little more of each of their personalities. Bones/Spock still the best thing in this series.
Old 07-23-16, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I liked it. Not the BEST Trek movie by any means, but a comfortable one, which after 13 movies, I'll take that. They've ditched the overblown solemnity that hurt the first two reboots IMHO and gotten back a sense of exploration which the series sorely needed. And while it's respectful to Trek's legacy (the nods to Nimoy and TOS are great) it doesn't do some tortured remake of Star Trek III which is where Into Darkness totally fell apart to me. I wasn't a huge fan of the manic editing during the action scenes and some of the crew still don't get enough to you (sadly Chekov, and ironically considering all the pre-release press, Sulu). But I dug it and I can handle another with this cast if this one does well. It's fun, and not pompous.
Old 07-23-16, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
My only issue with this one was playing the Beastie Boys song to destroy the horde. That might have been one of the lamest, most cringe inducing things I've seen in a movie in a long time, especially when Sulu was bumping to the song. Just painful.
hey kid Kirk was bumping to the same song back in 2009
Old 07-23-16, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

3.5/5

Enjoyed it. Thought the new girl character was the best thing.

Nimoy tribute was well done, although I still dont get that multi dimension story arc of two Spocs, but whatever...

Special effects were great, saw this in a RPX thester, and had no idea that even existed, not worth the $5 extra for that, but enjoyed the super sound.

This cast is pretty rock solid.
Old 07-23-16, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Saw it last night and loved it. I really enjoyed 09, but was immensely let down with ItD so I went into this with equally low expectations.

Great blend of action, humour and an original story. One thing all 3 films have done well is to follow the theme of what it means to be in Starfleet and the sacrifices that can mean. The best part about this one, is as Kirk is questioning his place and is at a crossroads, we see how quickly it can all go wrong through the big reveal. Especially great that it ties into his birthday and the 09 film.

I liked how all the pieces fit together at the end, but nothing was given away. There were clues throughout as characters asked questions.

I agree Elba didn't have a lot to do, but I thought he was much stronger in the final 3 as he was allowed to act more.

I have a few minor quibbles. I think it could have been ~10 minutes longer. The ending felt rushed, especially after the fight. I also would have liked to have seen more of the community on the planet, understood their structure and how it came to be. I think some of that is answered at the end, but up to that point it seemed a bit aimless.

As an aside, I do think that had this film come before ItD that ItD would have worked better for me (Khan retread aside). For me, the characters hadn't bonded so there was no payoff. This one let them come into their own and bond in different ways.
Old 07-23-16, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I enjoyed this movie. I laughed when Chekov first meets Jaylah and he checks out her ass. Seemed fitting for the character in this movie.
Old 07-23-16, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PatD
May I refer to TOS episodes "Arena" and "Spectre of the Gun". This is actually a step in the right direction in terms of making it more like The Original Star Trek.

And frankly I find it an improvement over Kirk and Spock summarily executing a helpless Nero and his crew at the end of the first film--like it was fucking "Firefly" or something...
TOS had narratives where Kirk made the decision not to kill his enemy because the show was trying to allegorically promote the notion that the USA should not have a "war is the answer" foreign policy.

All three of the new Trek films have villains that take action against the Federation and are not connected to a formal government with which the Federation could possibly negotiate peace.

In #1, Nero makes it clear he has nothing to do with the Romulans of that era or their government. At the end of #1, Kirk offers to help Nero because he sees a potential value in that action positively influencing the Federation's relationship with the Romulans. There is no other reason to show mercy to the person responsible for the destruction of Vulcan, and (like Spock) I am certain it is a good reason.

In Darkness, Khan is a terrorist who is being supported by a treasonous element within StarFleet. The whole plot of the movie is driven by Kirk's decision not to summarily execute Khan but to disobey his orders and capture Khan for trial. Keeping Khan alive may have been the correct ethical decision but is was the correct practical decision because it allowed for the traitors in StarFleet to be exposed.

In Beyond, Krall is very simply a terrorist filled with irrational hatred for StarFleet and singular desire to attack the Federation and murder its citizens. There is no practical motivation in the plot for Kirk not to kill Krall when he has the chance, and there is no ethical reason for Kirk no to kill him. All that is accomplished by Kirk not shooting Krall when he has the chance is that it makes saving Yorktown harder, and Krall ends up dying in a more dramatic fashion. So (in theory) the movie gets extra tension and a bigger climax, but in the process makes its hero look like as ass.

If it is a conscious decision on Abrams' part to make these movies allegories for how the US should be dealing with foreign threats in the 2010s, then he is crazy. We need to be eliminating immediate terrorist threats with extreme prejudice, not showing them any measure of compassion.
Old 07-23-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

If it is a conscious decision on Abrams' part to make these movies allegories for how the US should be dealing with foreign threats in the 2010s, then he is crazy. We need to be eliminating immediate terrorist threats with extreme prejudice, not showing them any measure of compassion.
Relax and take it to another forum. You're looking WAAAAAAAAY too much into it.
Old 07-23-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because it's the Internet and unnecessary comments rule ... this movie got bigger laughs from me than the new Ghostbusters.
Old 07-23-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Saw this yesterday. Definitely a step up from Into Darkness. Lots of good action, and I was worried Pegg would try to make the movie to comedic, but he didn't and really respected the material. My only gripe was that the TV spots inadvertently gave away the twist of
Spoiler:
Krall=Edison. Seeing Idris Elba in human form on TV form and knowing he was the actor playing the villain left me watching and wondering when we would see that part. When it happened, it wasn't a surprise to me .

I did love the brief tribute they had to the original crew from the old series. That scene worked very well.

A bit off topic, but why won't Paramount let Justin Lin take over the Transformers franchise ? I was hoping that would be the case when Bay initially said he was walking away as director. But, it seems like he's back for the fifth as well. Lin knows how to do action without giving you a headache, Bay leaves me needing Excedrin afterward.
Old 07-23-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw this yesterday. Definitely a step up from Into Darkness. Lots of good action, and I was worried Pegg would try to make the movie to comedic, but he didn't and really respected the material. My only gripe was that the TV spots inadvertently gave away the twist of
Spoiler:
Krall=Edison. Seeing Idris Elba in human form on TV form and knowing he was the actor playing the villain left me watching and wondering when we would see that part. When it happened, it wasn't a surprise to me .

I did love the brief tribute they had to the original crew from the old series. That scene worked very well.

A bit off topic, but why won't Paramount let Justin Lin take over the Transformers franchise ? I was hoping that would be the case when Bay initially said he was walking away as director. But, it seems like he's back for the fifth as well. Lin knows how to do action without giving you a headache, Bay leaves me needing Excedrin afterward.
Transformers sells in its current incarnation, they will keep paying Bay until he quits.
Old 07-23-16, 01:16 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

As a Trek fan since TOS, I loved this movie NuTrek has finally gotten the spirit of old Trek with the crew cameraderie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.