Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Another movie SHEEP game: SHEEPERHERO II

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-01-16, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,216 Likes on 834 Posts

I'm not 100% laid up with my hip injury, but I'm limited enough that I am starting to go stir crazy. Sounds like a good time to begin ...

SHEEPERHERO 2 -- The Rise, Revenge, and Return of Lamb-Man Vs. Goat Rider

Last time I hoped for 15 players and had a few more ... Let's shoot for 20 this time! I know it's a holiday weekend, so we'll see how long it takes to get players. Hopefully I can start scoring the game by the end of next week.

Please note: I upped the value for REVERSE uniques ... I thought unique answers should always be worth more than -1, so four or more uniques on a question will score -5 each.

Please be gentle with me ... I'm still a novice Sheepmaster!

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.
The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:
Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"
Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.
The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:
Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"
The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.
That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:

The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question.
Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Unless a question specifies otherwise: Only previously released movies are eligible for answers. The purpose of the game is to use theatrically released (in the United States) major-studio superhero films based on Marvel and DC comics. TV movies, TV shows, and shorts (such as the Marvel One Shots) are not acceptable answers. I will use these Wikipedia pages for any judging that needs to be done:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Marvel_Comics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_on_DC_Comics

Make sure you are specific in your answers (provide everything I need to know what answer you are providing – i.e., the actor, character, film, etc.). Vague answers with multiple interpretations may receive a 5 point penalty.

Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
  • 1 Unique is awarded -20
  • 2 Uniques are awarded -15 each
  • 3 Uniques are awarded -10 each
  • 4+ Uniques are awarded -5 each

Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Your Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use it on:
  • In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier.
  • In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use your {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing.
  • Slam dunks cannot be stacked. Use one per question only or else they will be discarded. You cannot use two slam dunks to turn a Reverse into a Sheep and then slam dunk those sheep answers.

Other reminders: Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Do not forget your {sd}. Sometimes I notice and ask the player to re-send, and sometimes I don't, so to make things fair, if you forget to include them I won't be reminding you. If you submit more than 5 {sd}s, the first five will be accepted and all others discarded.

With all that out of the way ... Up, up, and away we go!

1.) Alter egos and secret identities are important to a superhero’s friends and family. Name a superhero whose alter ego/secret identity is commonly known to the public of that movie world.
2.) REVERSE: Whether they know the hero’s secret identity or not, the residents of a city protected by a superhero are lucky to have a hero among them. Sometimes they are appreciative, sometimes they are not. Name a fictional city or country which has appeared in a superhero film.
3.) New York is one of the few real cities portrayed on film. It is also home to Spider-Man and his rogues’ gallery of villains. Name your favorite villain from a film Spider-Man was in.
4.) What is the “dream casting” you would like to see? Heroes or villains, actors alive or dead … It just can’t be a casting that has appeared on screen or is scheduled/rumored to appear in the future. (Don’t forget to name the actor and the character!)
5.) REVERSE: Name a significant character that has died … or “died” … in a film. (No, you cannot use “Screaming Man #3 in Subway” or anything along those lines.)
6.) Not all important characters have super powers. Name your favorite character that is not super powered and has no gadgets.
7.) REVERSE: In the original Sheeperhero we established the popularity of Tony Stark/Iron Man among DVDTalkers. Name a superhero movie which Robert Downey Jr. appeared in.
8.) Speaking of making appearances in films, what superhero has never been a title character (has only appeared in other hero’s or ensemble films) would you most like to see in his or her own film?
9.) REVERSE: Over the years, many characters have made the rounds in Hollywood. Name a studio that was the primary production studio of either a DC or Marvel superhero movie.
10.) From the studio logo to the last credit, we have been trained to stay until the house lights come up in the theater. What is your favorite mid- or post-credits scene?
11.) In addition to watching the credits, we like to watch pretty people. Who is the sexiest character to appear in a superhero film?
12.) Red-hot sexy superheroes (or supervillains!) …. Name a character whose name contains a color.
13.) REVERSE: Iron Man, Thor, Superman, Batman … all have proven they have some serious backbone. Name a hero or villain whose name comes from an invertebrate animal.
14.) Filmmakers with no backbone will often remake movies rather than come up with new ones … What superhero film is most in need of being remade/rebooted?
15.) Ensemble films are now dominating the landscape. Even movies credited to one title character will have several others in them. What has been the best ensemble or team up movie (3 or more major heroes)?
16.) Those team ups can be some of the best or some of the worst. Sometimes a single hero can carry a film or bury a film. What superhero film did you have low expectations for but most pleasantly surprised by?
17.) Other way around now: What superhero film did you have high expectations for and were most severely disappointed by?

Best of luck SHEEP!
Old 07-01-16, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
Re: Another movie SHEEP game: SHEEPERHERO II

I'm in, but this looks like it will be a tough one.
Old 07-02-16, 12:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give this a try. My last-place answers will be in shortly.
Old 07-02-16, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely in, but won't be able to submit my answers 'til probably Sunday night.
Old 07-02-16, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

Game-Specific Rules that were read several times answers submitted, thanks!
Old 07-02-16, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Ouch man this is TOUGH.

How long are we looking at to submit these? I'd say wait until at least the middle of next week. Lots of folks take off for the week of the Fourth and don't get much DVD Talk time on vacation.
Old 07-02-16, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Ouch man this is TOUGH.

How long are we looking at to submit these? I'd say wait until at least the middle of next week. Lots of folks take off for the week of the Fourth and don't get much DVD Talk time on vacation.
I'm not going to put a hard deadline on it. I know the timing may be awkward, so I'm looking more at the number of players. I'll give at least a day's notice before entries are cut off.

If you are interested in playing but need time to put your answers together, just let me know your intent.

I tried to make this round a bit trickier ... Ended up with more reverses than I had planned! I also thought about renaming slam dunks as Hulk Smashes, but I thought that might be confusing.
Old 07-02-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Awesome!

You say these have to be Marvel/DC but does that include their imprints like DC's Vertigo?
Old 07-02-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Awesome!

You say these have to be Marvel/DC but does that include their imprints like DC's Vertigo?
I debated making this game MCU only ... While that clears some of these things up, it limits the answers too much.

I accepted those last game without too much flak, so yes -- as long as they fall under DC or Marvel monikers. But remember answers must be related to a superhero property ... Things like Road to Perdition and American Splendor are not acceptable. I can think of a few that I wouldn't classify as superheroes, but they could be debated. If there is debate and I don't have a definitive ruling, I will let the Power of the Sheep flow through me.
Old 07-02-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,065 Likes on 768 Posts

I think you might need to explain #9 a little bit, if you are planning on marking answers incorrect
Old 07-02-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Fair warning : #5 will be a fucking nightmare for you to officiate, Abob. Have fun with that one.
Old 07-02-16, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 736 Likes on 363 Posts

The answer to question 13 still has to appear in a movie? If so, I'm not sure that there's more than 3 possible answers.
Old 07-02-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For no. 6, how much does "gadgets" cover? Is a bow & arrow a gadget?

I went with the gadget of a character no one would pick.
Old 07-02-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I think you might need to explain #9 a little bit, if you are planning on marking answers incorrect
PM with your suggestions ... initially I had that written as "distribution" rather than "production" but the reference material showed it as "production".

Essentially I am looking for the PRIMARY studio behind the film.
Old 07-02-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fair warning : #5 will be a fucking nightmare for you to officiate, Abob. Have fun with that one.
That's actually one I am looking forward to!
Old 07-02-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
The answer to question 13 still has to appear in a movie? If so, I'm not sure that there's more than 3 possible answers.
Yes, this is a movie game, not a comic book game. There are more than you realize ...
Old 07-02-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
For no. 6, how much does "gadgets" cover? Is a bow & arrow a gadget?

I went with the gadget of a character no one would pick.
Now that is too sheepy of a question for me to answer!

Just remember, in the Sheeperhero world, Baa-tman has no super powers, he relies on gadgets. Get it, Baa-tman ...
Old 07-02-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Answers sent.
Old 07-02-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 736 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Yes, this is a movie game, not a comic book game. There are more than you realize ...
I'm at 4 now. I'll keep thinking.
Old 07-02-16, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts

Answers sent. So you'll all have a chance to mock me once again.
Old 07-03-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So far, members of this injustice league of absurdity include ...

GhostLee
wishbone
majorjoe23
Shannon Nutt
hasslein

An alternate wording for number 9 that may help (or may not):
Marvel and DC have teamed up with a number of studios to bring their characters to the big screen. Name a studio (other than Marvel and DC) that is recognized as the primary producer and/or distributor of a superhero film.

So ... If I were to ask this question of Star Wars movies, acceptable answers would include: 20th Century Fox, Lucasfilm, Disney, and even Warner Brothers (for that Clone Wars cartoon abomination - it was theatrically released). Bad Robot would be a debatable answer (I would say no, but they are listed as a "co-producer" when I fact check). Wrong answers would be things like THX, Universal, Sony, Skywalker Sound, ILM, or Rick McCallum.

Please don't hesitate to send me any comments, criticisms, or questions on the questions ... I will try to help as much as I can without giving somebody an advantage. My goal is to make this fun for everybody while leaving myself enough fodder to ridicule Shannon Nutt.
Old 07-03-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
That's actually one I am looking forward to!
OK, I have received one answer that I am considering tossing out as I don't feel the character is significant enough to justify.

I understand the way I wrote that question left it subjective ... To me, "significant" would mean that I would probably mention the character by name when giving a decent description of the overall plot of the movie.

Former Sheepmasters -- please advise me if there is protocol for this. Should I contact the player and advise him/her to make another selection, or did I write that too subjectively and I should just let the answer stand?
Old 07-03-16, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,065 Likes on 768 Posts

In most contemporary movies after the movie ends there is that credit sequence where they put up all the names of the "significant" cast and crew with title cards before the traditional scrolling credits run. If your death is not of a character played by an actor that makes that featured cast roll call, you should be worried. Just my two cents.
Old 07-03-16, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't expect anyone to match #4. Answers sent, even though I think I blew one.
Old 07-03-16, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craptastic answers sent.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.