Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie Talk (Reverse) Sheep: Sheeperhero Edition

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-16, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

OK guys, this is my first attempt at the running of the sheep ... Please be gentle with me. I'd like to get 15 players and start scoring as soon as possible.

So ... find a phone booth, strap on your utility belt, and check you secret identity at the door ... Superhero (Reverse) Sheep: Sheeperhero Edition is beginning its origin story! (I stole the format from Crocker's last game, so I hope this works! Thank you again CJ!)

The basic rules:

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:

The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question.
Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules

The term “actor” is being used as a gender-neutral term to denote actors or actresses.

Make sure you are specific in your answers (provide everything I need to know what answer you are providing – i.e., the actor, character, film, etc.). Vague answers with multiple interpretations will receive a 5 point penalty.

Unless specifically noted, “superhero” is being used as a generic reference to the genre, not necessarily the titular or super powered characters.

Unless otherwise noted in the question, movies eligible in this game MUST be:

Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
1 Unique is awarded -20
2 Uniques are awarded -15 each
3 Uniques are awarded -10 each
4 Uniques are awarded -5 each
5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each

Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Your Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use it on:
In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier.
In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use your {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing.
Slam dunks cannot be stacked. Use one per question only or else they will be discarded. You cannot use two slam dunks to turn a Reverse into a Sheep and then slam dunk those sheep answers.

And another reminder: Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Do not forget your {sd}. Sometimes I notice and ask the player to re-send, and sometimes I don't, so to make things fair, if you forget to include them I won't be reminding you.

1.)Comic books are known for periodically “recreating” their characters. A hero is killed off and reborn or replaced by a new hero. Other than Stan Lee, name an actor who has played different characters in different superhero movies. (Alter-egos do NOT count.)

2.)Now, name a character played by different actors in different films!

3.)REVERSE: Of course there was a reason Stan Lee was excluded from the first question … Name a Stan Lee cameo.

4.)Which actor has been the most miscast in his/her superhero role?

5.)Obvious next question … Which actor was the best casting decision for his/her superhero role?

6.)REVERSE: What is your favorite superhero movie?

7.)We all know fan favorites aren’t necessarily “critical successes” though … Name a superhero film which received one (or more) Oscar nominations.

8.)The superhero landing has become a bit cliché, but we love it anyway. Name a character who has “stuck the superhero landing”.

9.)Another superhero cliché would have to be the cool vehicles they get to drive. If you could cruise around in superhero style, which superhero vehicle would you want?

10.)While they could be included in any question above, we haven’t necessarily paid tribute to the men and women who make superhero movies possible: the sidekicks! What actor played the best sidekick?

11.)OK, so the hero needs a little more help than that. Break bad and name your favorite portrayal of a supervillain.

12.)Speaking of bad guys, name the most controversial decision or change a studio or director has made when bringing a superhero to the big screen.

13.)The superhero genre is well known for borrowing from itself or rebooting its universes. Name the best superhero movie sequel OR reboot.

14.)Just to finish on a plot twist … If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Old 05-27-16, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: Movie Talk (Reverse) Sheep: Sheeperhero Edition

I'd be so horrible at this as I haven't followed all of the superhero movies as much as many folks. I may just follow along, popping in from time to time to make fun of others.

to stepping up and running one of these Abob!
Old 05-27-16, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cardsfan, it's not difficult. Just alternate between these two formulas:

1.) Pick any animal. Add "Man" on the end.
2.) Pick any noun or adjective. Add "Man" on the end.
Old 05-27-16, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

Unless otherwise noted in the question, movies eligible in this game MUST be:
They may not be good answers, but shouldn't this only be applicable to reverse questions? No wrong answers in Sheep after all.
Old 05-27-16, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

My "Super"-bad answers sent!

The "Sidekick" question was hard for me, as I didn't know if we could pick the sidekick of a villain (I went with the assumption we had to pick a sidekick of a hero).
Old 05-27-16, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
They may not be good answers, but shouldn't this only be applicable to reverse questions? No wrong answers in Sheep after all.
I already submitted answers following this rule...so I say stick with it. Although you're right - Sheep answers you WANT to match, so there really can be no "wrong" sheep answers.
Old 05-27-16, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I already submitted answers following this rule...so I say stick with it. Although you're right - Sheep answers you WANT to match, so there really can be no "wrong" sheep answers.
Well for the sake of argument, if someone wanted to answer a sheep question with something based on, let's say, a Dark Horse comic, I don't see what the harm is, other than them not getting a good score. There shouldn't be an additional penalty.
Old 05-27-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

3.)REVERSE: Of course there was a reason Stan Lee was excluded from the first question … Name a Stan Lee cameo.
I don't understand how to this question at all. Are we supposed to answer the movie he appears in, the description of the character he plays? It's not like we know the character's name (and anyone who answers it correctly is an IMDB-ing cheater).
Old 05-27-16, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I struggled a bit with that ... I figured there needed to be some parameters or else we would have ended up with really obscure stuff to argue. I also figured even with these parameters there is still plenty of material to choose from. You may be right though.

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't understand how to this question at all. Are we supposed to answer the movie he appears in, the description of the character he plays? It's not like we know the character's name (and anyone who answers it correctly is an IMDB-ing cheater).
I will accept the movie, but the description would be fun.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 05-27-16 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-27-16, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well for the sake of argument, if someone wanted to answer a sheep question with something based on, let's say, a Dark Horse comic, I don't see what the harm is, other than them not getting a good score. There shouldn't be an additional penalty.
You guys do have me re-thinking this. Since the idea is to match, these restrictions do seem a bit unnecessary. Does anybody see any harm in lifting the movie parameters I laid out? These would remain in place for the two reverse sheep questions though.

Shannon, if that changes any of your answers just let me know.
Old 05-27-16, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Thanks for running the game! Will look into submitting answers this weekend.

I struggled a bit with that ... I figured there needed to be some parameters so we would have ended up with really obscure stuff. I also figured even with these parameters there is still plenty of material to choose from. You may be right though.
It's not crucial to have parameters for Sheep questions. If someone comes up with an obscure answer (and even better if they slam it!), then we laugh at them and move on. Where you want restrictive parameters is on the Reverses. For question 6, people can pick whatever they want, and you can't really call it wrong by saying a shitty movie can't really be their favorite.
Old 05-27-16, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

I will accept the movie, but the description would be fun.
Okay, but if one person says the movie and the other gives the description, are they matches for the sake of Reverse Sheep?
Old 05-27-16, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Okay, but if one person says the movie and the other gives the description, are they matches for the sake of Reverse Sheep?
Yes. (That may be the easiest question I get!)

On all questions, I will do my best to match obviously like-minded answers. However, I've already gotten a few "vague" answers (particularly #9). If an answer is too vague I will contact you for clarification. Hope I'm not tarnishing the good name of Sheep.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 05-27-16 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-27-16, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I'll submit answers eventually. I need to think a little more on some of these.

The "Sidekick" question was hard for me, as I didn't know if we could pick the sidekick of a villain (I went with the assumption we had to pick a sidekick of a hero).
It's hard for me because while superhero sidekicks were pretty common in Golden Age comics, they seem much rarer in movies. I'm sure I'm overlooking an obvious answer that everyone but me will pick

Originally Posted by davidh777
It's not crucial to have parameters for Sheep questions. If someone comes up with an obscure answer (and even better if they slam it!), then we laugh at them and move on.
Yep, no wrong answers in Sheep questions. And it's also funny when obviously wrong answers get matches and do better than some correct answers.

Originally Posted by davidh777
Where you want restrictive parameters is on the Reverses. For question 6, people can pick whatever they want, and you can't really call it wrong by saying a shitty movie can't really be their favorite.
Just to be sure Abob ... it isn't a mistake that question 6 is a reverse and not a sheep question, right? Because, like davidh777 points out, as a reverse it's pretty much "name a superhero movie". Of course, I'll still suck and match a bunch of people.
Old 05-27-16, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

For 11 do you mean name the actor and movie their from or just the charecter?
Old 05-27-16, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I think 9 needs to have a movie AND vehicle, but that's just me...
Old 05-27-16, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brainee
Just to be sure Abob ... it isn't a mistake that question 6 is a reverse and not a sheep question, right? Because, like davidh777 points out, as a reverse it's pretty much "name a superhero movie". Of course, I'll still suck and match a bunch of people.
I think I'm going to leave this as a reverse. It is a classic "am I overthinking this" question.

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
For 11 do you mean name the actor and movie their from or just the charecter?
For ALL questions (not just this one) I need enough information (actor, character, and/or movie) so that I know what you are talking about. As long as I can figure that out, I will be generous. For example, if you name a character that has been played by more than one actor or has been in more than one movie, I won't know what you are talking about. If you name an actor who has only played one character, I can probably figure that out.

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I think 9 needs to have a movie AND vehicle, but that's just me...
You are correct. Just as I said above, if it is only in one movie I can figure it out. If it is in more than one movie, you will need to specify which movie/version of the vehicle you are choosing.

Please let me know if I need to edit my OP to clarify any of these things. Like I said - my first time, so sorry for any confusion or errors on my part.
Old 05-28-16, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Currently 3 players in (Shannon Nutt, Devilshalo, and The Bus) and 12 slots still open.
Old 05-28-16, 06:20 AM

For ALL questions (not just this one) I need enough information (actor, character, and/or movie) so that I know what you are talking about. As long as I can figure that out, I will be generous. For example, if you name a character that has been played by more than one actor or has been in more than one movie, I won't know what you are talking about. If you name an actor who has only played one character, I can probably figure that out.
What about actors that played the same character in multiple movies? To use an example (that isn't a comic book example, because I don't want to give away potential answers), if someone said "James Earl Jones as Darth Vader" (without a movie) is that enough? And if 2 other people said "James Earl Jones as Darth Vader in Star Wars" and "James Earl Jones as Darth Vader in The Empire Strike Back", are those different answers or would you count them as matches?
Old 05-28-16, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been a while since I did a sheep game. I'm all like when I saw this thread.
Old 05-28-16, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, you might consider formatting the questions like this:

1) S:
2) S:
3) R:

It can be helpful to cut down on confusion.
Old 05-28-16, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Up, up, and down I go answers submitted. Thanks Abob Teff!
Old 05-28-16, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What about actors that played the same character in multiple movies? To use an example (that isn't a comic book example, because I don't want to give away potential answers), if someone said "James Earl Jones as Darth Vader" (without a movie) is that enough? And if 2 other people said "James Earl Jones as Darth Vader in Star Wars" and "James Earl Jones as Darth Vader in The Empire Strike Back", are those different answers or would you count them as matches?
I hate to sound wishy-washy, but it will depend on the question. I will also take some cue from the answers you guys submit (if everybody answers a question in a manner different than my intent, I will go with the group's interpretation). For example, if you answered "Milleneum Falcon" for #9, I probably wouldn't ask for which one as there was only one (yes, yes, different radar dishes but still the same ship). If you answered "USS Enterprise" I would want the movie so we knew which Enterprise you were choosing.

When you select your answers, ask yourself "Is there a material difference?" It is better to provide too much info tha not enough. If I need clarification on your answer, I will be proactive and contact you.

I hope that helps. I'm not screwing this whole thing up, am I?
Old 05-28-16, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Answers submitted. I predict a lot of uniques on the Reverse questions with me matching at least 3 others on the Stan lee one.
Old 05-28-16, 10:08 AM

I hate to sound wishy-washy, but it will depend on the question. I will also take some cue from the answers you guys submit (if everybody answers a question in a manner different than my intent, I will go with the group's interpretation). For example, if you answered "Milleneum Falcon" for #9, I probably wouldn't ask for which one as there was only one (yes, yes, different radar dishes but still the same ship). If you answered "USS Enterprise" I would want the movie so we knew which Enterprise you were choosing.

When you select your answers, ask yourself "Is there a material difference?" It is better to provide too much info tha not enough. If I need clarification on your answer, I will be proactive and contact you.

I hope that helps. I'm not screwing this whole thing up, am I?
In this case, I'm asking specifically about the villain question.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.