Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Apocalypse (Singer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: X-Men: Apocalypse (Singer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
6.15%
29.23%
32.31%
20.00%
10.77%
0%
1.54%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 09:45 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"X-Men: Apocalypse" (Starring: James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, Oscar Isaac, Rose Byrne, Evan Peters, Olivia Munn)

Release Date:
5/27/16

Rating:
PG-13 (for sequences of violence, action and destruction, brief strong language and some suggestive images throughout.)

Running Time:
144m. (2h. 24m.)

Budget:
$178 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Since the dawn of civilization, he was worshiped as a god. Apocalypse, the first and most powerful mutant from Marvel's X-Men universe, amassed the powers of many other mutants, becoming immortal and invincible. Upon awakening after thousands of years, he is disillusioned with the world as he finds it and recruits a team of powerful mutants, including a disheartened Magneto, to cleanse mankind and create a new world order, over which he will reign. As the fate of the Earth hangs in the balance, Raven with the help of Professor X must lead a team of young X-Men to stop their greatest nemesis and save mankind from complete destruction.

IMDb Info and Rating:
7.6 (36,400 votes as of 5/24/16)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:67 Rotten:62 (52% as of 5/24/16)

Metacritic:
51 metascore ('Mixed or average reviews' as of 5/24/16)

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jer8XjMrUB4

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-27-16 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-27-16, 10:09 AM

Re: X-Men: Apocalypse (Singer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

bump for release
Old 05-27-16, 11:17 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That RT score...ouch. I might wait for home video on this one.
Old 05-27-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Friday AM Update: X-Men: Apocalypse brought in an estimated $8.2 million from Thursday night previews from approximately 3,595 of the 4,150 theaters it will be opening in this weekend. It's a solid start and compares favorable to the $8.1 million X-Men: Days of Future Past launched with in 2014 before opening with $90.8 million over the three-day and $110.5 million for the 2014 Memorial Day weekend. Days of Future Past brought in $35.5 million on Friday back in 2014 so we'll be looking closely at that number once Friday estimates are released.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4190&p=.htm
Old 05-27-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
That RT score...ouch. I might wait for home video on this one.
It's down to 46% now. I'll probably still see it in the theater but don't feel the need to rush out there.
Old 05-27-16, 12:38 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
It's down to 46% now. I'll probably still see it in the theater but don't feel the need to rush out there.
as low as that is, Alice Looking Glass is even worse. You know your movie sucks when it doesn't even get its own reviews thread on the prestigious DVDTalk Movie Talk subforum.
Old 05-27-16, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by HN
as low as that is, Alice Looking Glass is even worse. You know your movie sucks when it doesn't even get its own reviews thread on the prestigious DVDTalk Movie Talk subforum.
yeah, i figured the other thread was sufficient for Alice and probably for X-Men too, but oh well. there was a day when a new X-Men movie would entice me, but with the reviews i could wait...
Old 05-27-16, 01:26 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by HN
Given that the first Alice movie was the cinematic equivalent of a Cleveland steamer, I'm not surprised that the new one is more of the same.
Old 05-27-16, 01:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I give it a B. Good to have an x-men movie again but just like in Man of Steel, no onscreen repercussions for all of the innocent people Magneto killed near the end.

Given the post credits scene, has another movie already been greenlit?
Old 05-27-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Given that the first Alice movie was the cinematic equivalent of a Cleveland steamer, I'm not surprised that the new one is more of the same.
Everytime I see mention of the new Alice movie, my immediate reaction is "Wait, what? They're actually making another one of these?" I've had this same reaction multiple time over the last couple of months. It's as though my brain is constantly purging the knowledge of this movie's existence because it doesn't seem remotely plausible that it's actually true.
Old 05-27-16, 01:53 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Tim Burton didn't direct this latest "Alice," he was too busy shopping for black clothes.
Old 05-27-16, 03:48 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by 0073735963
I give it a B. Good to have an x-men movie again but just like in Man of Steel, no onscreen repercussions for all of the innocent people Magneto killed near the end.

Given the post credits scene, has another movie already been greenlit?
Given that this is the only superhero franchise Fox has that has produced any major hits, they're going to keep greenlighting X-Men films until the bubble bursts on comic book movies.
Old 05-27-16, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Given that this is the only superhero franchise Fox has that has produced any major hits, they're going to keep greenlighting X-Men films until the bubble bursts on comic book movies.
Hey Francis, you ever heard of Deadpool?!
Old 05-27-16, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Technically Deadpool is part of the X-Men franchise, that's why Fox has the rights to him. They didn't purchase Deadpool separately.
Old 05-27-16, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 282 Likes on 180 Posts

Saw it this afternoon. Thought it was fine. Weaker than Days of Future Past and First Class, but certainly better than The Last Stand (I chuckled at the "the 3rd movie is always the worst" line).

Random thoughts:
-I thought Sophie Turner was good as Jean Grey, but damnit it is impossible not to immediately think of Sansa whenever she's on screen. Took me out of the moment on a number of occasions.
-dug the Wolverine cameo. Can't wait to see the R rated movie with him in a year or so.
-Storm actress was weak and dull.
-Olivia Munn is really hot. Aaron Rodgers is a lucky guy.
-how many more times are we going to see the same conflict with Magneto in X-Men films? He's good, then he's bad, then he's good again. It's getting tiresome.
-the CGI in general felt pretty weak compared to other superhero films like Civil War and BvS. Guess they don't have the budget to hire top of the line effects studios like those productions did.
-there was some really cringe worthy dialogue in this one. The one that stands out the most is Magneto screaming "is this who I am?!?!" and Xavier telling Havok to "wreak havoc!"
-Quicksilver was cool, again, even though that wig is terrible and the rescue scene's CGI was awful.
-James McAvoy always brings his A game to the Charles Xavier role. He's not perfect like Patrick Stewart is for the role, but he's as good a replacement as you can get.
-Nicholas Hoult is a good Beast, even though I think the character looks better when he's got the Hulk like body style.
-Oscar Isaac. Love the actor, but Apocalypse was just an OK villain. Going to blame the writers for not making him more interesting, intimidating, and scary.
-thought the new Nightcrawler was pretty good, even though Cody Smit McPhee looks like a convention/cosplay version of the character.

Overall it had a mediocre plot with some poor writing and poor CGI, but the acting was good, it had some cool moments/good action and funny lines, so I give it a C+
Old 05-27-16, 06:31 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Hey Francis, you ever heard of Deadpool?!
You mean the same Deadpool where he goes to Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters to request the help of X-Man Colossus? Yeah, that's not part of the X-Men franchise at all!
Old 05-27-16, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From the review I just posted to my Facebook page, Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies:

X-Men: Apocalypse (PG-13) - Everything-but-the-kitchen-sink approach almost doesn’t work, but it manages to mostly succeed

A confession up front: in the early to mid 90s, my son and I collected X-Men comics like maniacs. Even my wife had a nice Wolverine collection. When the first X-Men movie came out, we were there, and we really enjoyed the early films a lot, including The Last Stand (I know, right?). When I finally sold off our comic collection a few years ago (several hundreds of issues), about 85 percent had an X in the title.

I’ve enjoyed the new movie versions of X-Men, as well. I thought First Class was first class, and Days of Future Past, while not as faithful to the source material as I would have liked, was fun and gave us the best movie version of Quicksilver in the most entertaining scene in any X-Men movie to that point.

And now we have X-Men: Apocalypse, the latest saga in the Fox/Marvel franchise. The A plot goes kind of something like this: a being that is possibly the first mutant in history (and before history, apparently) fancies himself as privileged and has been stealing powers from other mutants until sometime around 3,500 BC. A mutiny (mutant-ny?) traps him under a collapsed pyramid for several thousand years until he is awakened in the 1980s. He immediately decides he should be the only superpower around, and recruits four other mutants to help him basically wipe out humanity and reshape the world for mutant-kind.

The B, C, D, E, etc., plots, in no particular order are: Mystique is attempting to protect weaker mutants in a world still reeling from the events of Days of Future Past; Magneto continues to have the most tragic and flip-floppy character arc in the X-Men movies; Charles Xavier is still in a wheelchair, but he’s got his hair; Quicksilver decides to finally confront his dad; Scott Summer (Cyclops) has to deal with his powers as they begin to manifest; Jubilee has no lines and nothing significant to do, but we keep seeing her, a lot; Storm, Angel/Archangel and Nightcrawler get pseudo-origin stories; Psylocke is pretty cool; we revisit Colonel Stryker and Alkali Lake; and most interesting and fun, Jean Grey’s real inner power is about to be revealed.

The story has so much crammed into it, it tends to get a bit messy, mildly confusing at times, and a bit long. It could have really used about 20-30 minutes trimmed off of it. But leave the best parts please - another outstanding sequence centered around Quicksilver basically rescuing the movie before we fall asleep, and the climactic battle with the baddie (who is the least interesting character in the entire movie, seriously), with all of the primaries jumping in to take him down. And if you know anything at all about Jean Grey, you will find yourself on the edge of your seat as the battle builds…

I’ll be honest, again. I’d read the reviews of X-Men: Apocalypse and most of them were not that great. Even as the movie started, I was thinking about pithy little put-downs I could write. But as the movie kept going, I really found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would. You might, too. I’m giving it 3.5 out of 5, and I would actually like to see most of it again at some point down the line.

For parents: It is rated PG-13 for violence that’s a bit more bloody, intense and disturbing than the other Marvel movies, and it has one “f” bomb. Use your discretion.
Old 05-27-16, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

*Ive mentioned elsewhere that the bottom right of my keyboard is damaged. Which is the reason why I have to rely on the "Smiley question-mark"*

Better than I thought it would be.
There were only two sections of the film that I thought were bad. The entire Stryker-base scene was one of them. Not only did I thought the Wolvie scene could have been better (He looked frickin' silly with that headgear) but the rushed nature (Mostly involving Mystique's transition to leader) and the convenience of an available X-jet and X-suits. The other was the (Ho-hum) battle between the horsemen. But at least I thought the final fight redeemed that. The closure between Charles & Moira that followed was also unexpectedly well done.

I honestly didn't mind everything else...Well, maybe aside from Mystique's closing speech---But hey, at least she's finally got the proper outfit on.
Visually, this is the best looking X-film and the *3D was tremendous.
Oh, and remember that "X-Men Origins:Magneto" movie Well, we're getting closer and closer to see how that must have looked. We saw the first act of it in First Class when he was a nazi-hunter. And the middle-act of it seems to appear in this film with the Poland scenes. Combine those together as one film and we might have REALLY had something special there.

So it looks like we're never gonna see that Alex Summers/Lorna Dane pairing.

*Speaking of the 3D, it was odd that there was no "Put on Your glasses" message to go along with the 3D trailers at my showing. And did anyone else get that odd intro by Storm BTW, I didn't mind her performance. I just really hope she keeps the mohawk and accent from here on out.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 05-27-16 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-27-16, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

Saw it today and thought it was okay. I never have been a huge fan of any of the X-men movies and this one just seemed more of the same. Nothing great, nothing special but a decent way to spend a couple of hours. It should have had at least half an hour shaved off though. I actually dozed off a little during the second quarter of the movie. Luckily the Quicksilver and Wolverine scene livened things up a bit.

I am not a huge Jennifer Lawrence fan and she seemed to be sleepwalking through the Mystique role (though I never thought she was that good in it to begin with). A lot of poor writing and dialogue. The CG in places was atrocious for a big budget movie like this.

Apocalypse never seemed very threatening and just seemed so small. They should have made him 8 feet tall instead of eye level with Magneto.

The quicksilver and Wolverine parts were the best in the movie in my opinion. The final battle seemed slightly inadequate because once you have seen Captain America's airport battle scene, anything similar after that is likely to suffer.

I guess I expected Magneto's wife and child to die but that was still a tough scene to watch, especially the way they went together.

And the 3D was just okay. Really awesome in the credit sequence and looked good during the Quicksilver scene. The rest had some decent depth mostly throughout. i wan't mad I spent the extra bucks on it but would have rather it have been 3D on the IMAX screen.

Overall - 3.5 out of 5
Old 05-27-16, 07:33 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
*Ive mentioned elsewhere that the bottom right of my keyboard is damaged. Which is the reason why I have to rely on the "Smiley question-mark"*
It's easier for you to use smiley question-mark instead of copy/paste an existing question mark on the page or text file?
Old 05-27-16, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

While I didn't mind Sweet Dreams for the Quicksilver sequence, I would have preferred Time (Clock of the Heart) by Culture Club. Sweet Dreams get played a lot in movies/shows set in the 80s.
Old 05-27-16, 07:44 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by N2DVD
And if you know anything at all about Jean Grey, you will find yourself on the edge of your seat as the battle builds…
Ugh, please don't say they're going to the Phoenix well again...
Old 05-27-16, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Ugh, please don't say they're going to the Phoenix well again...
If it's done correctly, I'm good with it. I thought this was a good start.
Old 05-27-16, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This film used up all my "meh" for the year. I have no more "meh."

There were some good bits. I liked Storm. Happy to have Nightcrawler back, even if he's far worse than the X2 version. Quicksilver was awesome. Again. I would happily watch a movie with him.

Psylocke sucked. Angel suuuuuuucked. Apocalypse was okay as a villain, but his costume was terrible and he was way too small. Cyclops was one note, as he is legally required to be. Jennifer Lawrence was totally phoning this in.

But shit. If you liked Last Stand, but felt it didn't have enough poorly done CGI mass destruction, this is for you.
Old 05-27-16, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DVD
If it's done correctly, I'm good with it. I thought this was a good start.
Agreed. They fucked it up so badly on the first attempt but that storyline is more than worthy of being done properly on film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.