Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Apocalypse (Singer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: X-Men: Apocalypse (Singer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
6.15%
29.23%
32.31%
20.00%
10.77%
0%
1.54%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

X-Men: Apocalypse (Singer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-16, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: X-Men: Apocalypse (Singer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Only saw an hour of this yesterday. Was hanging in the projection booth w/ a friend for a bit. Holy hell... that first hour has some pacing and plot issues. Like....it's a big waste of time in there.
Old 06-05-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
So you'd be ok if Stryker just pops in to try and kidnap mutants in every movie for the rest of the series? The only reason he was in Apocalypse was because a.)he was in the other movies, and b.)they couldn't think of any other way to work in a Wolverine cameo.
If he pops again? Then I'd think it was poor. But he only had a small part in Days of Future Past, and this was a nice flash back to X2.
Old 06-05-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

One thing is for sure the box office is pretty much following the attitude in here. Looks like it will end up one of the lower grossing (US) films of the series.
Old 06-05-16, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I'd still rank this one 3rd out of the newest trilogy but do think it's way better than Last Stand. Hell, Quicksilver's scene is better than all of Last Stand.
Old 06-05-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 980 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
If he pops again? Then I'd think it was poor. But he only had a small part in Days of Future Past, and this was a nice flash back to X2.
It might have been nice if it had been written into the story organically, but it literally had nothing to do with the rest of the movie. It was just more wasted time with old characters for the sake of spending time with old characters.
Old 06-05-16, 12:42 PM
Banned

Ok. I'm in the booth again. Finished out this thing. Ehhhhhhh. It's really a pointless movie. A lot of shit going on w/o shit really being that important to be in there.

Even Fassbender and McAvoy can't up the script w/ their talents. It's just a really dumbed down movie. They're working obviously. Giving their solid talent into it but the scripting is simple and w/o subtlety. It's just no depth to it.

Apocalypse was boring as hell. Some minor interesting things about him. For all his powers that are shown... just seems like it was too convenient on plot to what he could do and when. I also didn't feel like he was extreme as how the film may try to portray him.

The Horseman were just background pretty much. Magneto barely mattered either as a character in that group. Psylocke was just eye candy. Angel/Archangel was another failed attempt. Storm was also just a pretty pointless character.

Jesus. That first hour though. It's just so much pointless plotting.

They kind of make it an important notion to mention about Quicksilver being Erik's son but they pull the BS movie cliche of never telling the character about it for some weak reason.

Jean was alright. Again.. the script is weak here. The X kids were all pretty just there to move the plot but honestly... they don't really matter. You could have switched them out for any character pretty much for when they really mattered to the plot otherwise they're kind of just there to do stuff that's not unique to them at times.

Mystique. Jesus... the character just keeps getting worse and worse. Lawrence is just never good in this franchise. She's pretty but it's just weak acting from her. And stupid reasoning in the plot for her never wanting to be in the blue. Again.. the acting when she's in the blue is just awkward. That woman needs some confidence in her w/ this character. She matters fuck all to the plot. Suppposedly she's some motivating aspect to her in the film but really... it doesn't do much. She's just there and talks to where it really didn't matter for her to be in this.

Quicksilver's scene is probably the best thing about it. It's a bit too long for my own tastes but it's so much fun cuz Quicksilver is so cocky that it fits him.

The Weapon X scene as an isolated moment is actually pretty damn good. Amazed they let as much red as they did. I hope that means more for the rating as time passes cuz I felt like this made a big leap w/ it here. The helmet was kind of wonky. They should have gone full Weapon X on his look. The hair looked off too. Like I know they're taking it from the comic but it wasn't wild enough... it just looked kind of half assed wig there. Like... they wanted to keep his regular points but a bit wild... it just looked off. It's also a pointless thing to insert into the film. I love it cuz I'm a fan but I also think I could have done fine and dandy w/o it too. No point for Stryker and the Weapon X facility to be in this film.

All the X-Men vs. Apocalypse lacked thrill to it. It's just fighting w/ no sense of danger to it. It's very average. Just a lot of CGI going on showing off how big and bad this whole thing is but you don't feel it.

If anything, it's a film w/ a lot of fan service by putting this moment or that character in but it's all just there for visual and no depth to it.

It's a massive leap below DoFP. Where that was an event. You felt like shit mattered and it was going down. Here it just happens and it's just another whatever big destruction movie.

Just a big movie w/ shit going on but never really making you feel like anyone is in any real danger. Again.. that ending in DoFP kind of neuters some of the things that happen here.

even if there was an extended cut.. what is there is overall pretty average. No way more scenes could make this a damn good movie cuz it just has too much shit it wants to do to up the ante but it just never really sells it well.

I was worried about this film from the trailer cuz it just never felt important. You want something like this to feel important. You want an event. And this is just another film that passes by essentially. Sucks for it to be that way. With First Class you're getting the birth of it all. DoFP you're getting a big event film that changes it all but is also wildly focused on the personal elements of the characters. And here... you get big massive scale destruction and danger w/o any sense of dramatic weight to it.
Old 06-05-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'd still rank this one 3rd out of the newest trilogy but do think it's way better than Last Stand. Hell, Quicksilver's scene is better than all of Last Stand.
Last Stand was a shallow, unfulfilling culmination of the first two movies that was never able to overcome the various behind-the-scenes forces working against it. That said, at the very least it features new ideas/characters and tells a complete, coherent story which builds off of what came before it. Apocalypse might have some better scenes and some better performances, but it's pretty much just a bunch of crap thrown at the wall in order to see what sticks. In total, it adds up to nothing. The Quicksilver scene may have been fun, I guess, but it's pretty much the exact same scene as the one from DoFP.
Old 06-05-16, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I still prefer the X-Men OT by far.

I think I like Apocalypse better than First Class. Days is much better than either one.

1) Why is Wolverine 3 going to be rated R?

2) So now I see talk about Dark Phenix being a spinoff. How would that work? Bringing in new people from SWORD?

3) Haven't heard much about the New Mutants movie. It should come before Deadpool 2?
Old 06-05-16, 10:54 PM
Banned

Why would Dark Phoenix be a spinoff instead of a proper X-Men film? That doesn't make sense.

They're making Wolverine 3 rated R cuz probably works better for the character to not be so shackled by the PG-13. Apocalypse pushed it but it does neuter the character a bit too.
Old 06-05-16, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I guess whoever talked about it meant sequel.
Old 06-06-16, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Wolverine is Rated R because Deadpool.
Old 06-06-16, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Last Stand was a shallow, unfulfilling culmination of the first two movies that was never able to overcome the various behind-the-scenes forces working against it. That said, at the very least it features new ideas/characters and tells a complete, coherent story which builds off of what came before it. Apocalypse might have some better scenes and some better performances, but it's pretty much just a bunch of crap thrown at the wall in order to see what sticks. In total, it adds up to nothing. The Quicksilver scene may have been fun, I guess, but it's pretty much the exact same scene as the one from DoFP.
I'd say the Quicksilver scenes in BOTH films is closer to anything we've already seen in The Flash TV series, which is fine. You give Last Stand way too much credit. Dark Phoenix being able to instantly vaporize anything except adamantium (when Wolverine's healing factor kept regenerating) was stupid as hell amongst other things. I guess Wolverine is still destined to be killed by shitty Sentinels instead of some "Goddess." I always hated that stupid plot point. Cyclops also went out like a little bitch…offscreen. Lame.
Old 06-06-16, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'd say the Quicksilver scenes in BOTH films is closer to anything we've already seen in The Flash TV series, which is fine. You give Last Stand way too much credit. Dark Phoenix being able to instantly vaporize anything except adamantium (when Wolverine's healing factor kept regenerating) was stupid as hell amongst other things. I guess Wolverine is still destined to be killed by shitty Sentinels instead of some "Goddess." I always hated that stupid plot point. Cyclops also went out like a little bitch…offscreen. Lame.
I'm not sure why the Quicksilver scenes resembling similar scenes in The Flash matters. The point is that the rescue scene in Apocalypse is more or less exactly the same as the one in DoFP. Out of context it's fine for what it is, but it's still just more of the same. The fight scene with Apocalypse was better, because at least it was something new for the character.

As for The Last Stand, I don't think I'm giving it too much credit. It sucks. However, despite the fact that it had a hack director (the film's third), a rushed production schedule and a cast of characters being hastily written out of the series due to either actors bailing on the franchise or producer's desperate to cut budgets, I still think it tells a complete story, beginning to end, which moves the overall narrative forward in new and different ways. Even if I don't like all of choices made with that story and can rattle off a dozen or more things that should've been handled differently, at least it feels like the people making it had some idea about what they were trying to accomplish with the film. That stands in harsh contrast with Apocalypse which feels like a contractual obligation. Other than the inclusion of Apocalypse, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that Singer and company had any actual ideas or storytelling goals.
Old 06-06-16, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They couldn't get Danny Huston back as Stryker?
Old 06-06-16, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure why the Quicksilver scenes resembling similar scenes in The Flash matters. The point is that the rescue scene in Apocalypse is more or less exactly the same as the one in DoFP. Out of context it's fine for what it is, but it's still just more of the same. The fight scene with Apocalypse was better, because at least it was something new for the character.

As for The Last Stand, I don't think I'm giving it too much credit. It sucks. However, despite the fact that it had a hack director (the film's third), a rushed production schedule and a cast of characters being hastily written out of the series due to either actors bailing on the franchise or producer's desperate to cut budgets, I still think it tells a complete story, beginning to end, which moves the overall narrative forward in new and different ways. Even if I don't like all of choices made with that story and can rattle off a dozen or more things that should've been handled differently, at least it feels like the people making it had some idea about what they were trying to accomplish with the film. That stands in harsh contrast with Apocalypse which feels like a contractual obligation. Other than the inclusion of Apocalypse, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that Singer and company had any actual ideas or storytelling goals.

TDL;DR

Sure you are.
Old 06-07-16, 01:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ranger
They couldn't get Danny Huston back as Stryker?
You should probably be asking that for when DoFP came out.
Old 06-07-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Had a really fun time with this movie, dunno why so many people disliked it. Sure its the weakest of the new trilogy but I still prefer First Class, Days of future Past and Apocalypse over any of the other X-Men and Wolverine movies.

Also don't get why people dislike Last Stand so much, I always though all the original X-Men movies were pretty meh and I seen them at least 3 times..
Old 06-07-16, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
You should probably be asking that for when DoFP came out.
Ah, forgot aboutt hat, you're right.
Old 06-07-16, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Also don't get why people dislike Last Stand so much, I always though all the original X-Men movies were pretty meh and I seen them at least 3 times..
Because it hamfists two major X-Men plotlines into one film. Including one that is supposed to be a cosmic-level story.

I think the "Angel tries to cut out his wings" is the most powerful moment in ANY of the X-films and the movie could have easily just been all about the cure but they burn all their goodwill with stupid crap like "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch" and killing Cyclops off-screen.
Old 06-07-16, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have some issues with X3 but think it's sitll entertaining. I think some had hoped X4 would somehow fix/retcon some of X3.

Maybe Singer can get the Dark Phenoix and Legacy virus stories right. Who knows.
Old 06-07-16, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Singer can't get anything right. Well, at least Apocalypse certainly indicates that he may be burned out on the X-Men thing. It's a good X-Men movie, but not as good as, well, any of the other X-Men movies (the only one I'd put behind it would be Origins: Wolverine).

It really is time for someone new to take over, even if they keep the same cast and continuity.

But given the fact that Jackman won't be back as Wolverine in any future X-Men movies it may also be time to reboot completely (since this cast can't seem to match the box office of the originals without Jackman).
Old 06-08-16, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

They've already half-rebooted with the First Class/Apocalypse actors. It's tough when you have an immortal character but they could just...not include Wolverine anymore. Plenty of other X-Men to feature.
Old 06-08-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

yeah I welcome a new director, as much as I enjoyed Days of Future Past and Apocalypse, First Class felt so fresh when it came out. Apocalypse is staring to feel a bit like the old outings...

Yeah the franchise can continue with this new cast. We don't need Wolverine; he is been featured in 10 films already.

Also did anybody else felt a bit weird when Jean was taking Logan helmet and there was a moment there.. I know the characters are supposed to have a romantic story but the dude is like twice her age

Last edited by nando820; 06-08-16 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-08-16, 01:21 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

-Did mystique even fight? besides that one elbow she gave while breaking out nightcrawler and the psylocke fake-out?

-apocalypse was too small physically. should have appeared bigger than, say, Magneto. just seemed odd when he (apoc) was looking UP to magneto when the were face to face.

-how long were the SIX characters (apoc, 4 horsemen, charles), chilling on that rocky area? that shit felt like half an hour or longer (of movie runtime) of them just standing/sitting around. or specifically, charles laying there, apocalypse looming over him, and the other 4 just doing nothing. what a fcking waste of the horsemen. i mean this scene

Old 06-08-16, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
yeah I welcome a new director, as much as I enjoyed Days of Future Past and Apocalypse, First Class felt so fresh when it came out. Apocalypse is staring to feel a bit like the old outings...

Yeah the franchise can continue with this new cast. We don't need Wolverine; he is been featured in 10 films already.

Also did anybody else felt a bit weird when Jean was taking Logan helmet and there was a moment there.. I know the characters are supposed to have a romantic story but the dude is like twice her age
First Class seemed super choppy to me when it came out, it improved a little with time but I'm still baffled by the love that entry receives.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.