Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016) - The Trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016) - The Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-16, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016) - The Trailer

Originally Posted by RoboDad
[Inigo]You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.[/Inigo]
Caught myself using it s second time but let it go, didn't realize I used it a 3rd.

1st and 3rd were used correctly. 2nd would have been if I'd said "most" rather than "all." "Actually" woulda sufficed on the 3rd use but the 1st use was dead-on.

But hey, it gave you an easy out in regards to ignoring all the valid points I made.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 05-06-16 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-06-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Didn't hear a single laugh during this trailer in the theater... I heard a "looks terrible" behind me...and this was in BvS's 3rd wknd..so not exactly fanboys.
That's exactly what I have been hearing as well. From everyone I have talked to about this movie. And definitely not from just "fanboys". Many people are saying that this looks terrible, because it looks like it is going to be a terrible movie. Simple as that. Why some people feel the need to try and spin things into something they are not is beyond me. But those kinds of trolls have been on the internet since the internet began.
Old 05-06-16, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will admit that the ghost w/boobs logo did elicit a chuckle from me
Old 05-06-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
That's exactly what I have been hearing as well. From everyone I have talked to about this movie. And definitely not from just "fanboys". Many people are saying that this looks terrible, because it looks like it is going to be a terrible movie. Simple as that. Why some people feel the need to try and spin things into something they are not is beyond me. But those kinds of trolls have been on the internet since the internet began.
I would agree - I didn't laugh either. But those people aren't going to YouTube and hitting "dislike". They say "looks bad" and move on.

It's like biting into a sandwich and saying "ugh, this isn't good" vs. burning the shop down and murdering the owner's family. Yes, both are negative reactions but one is far more extreme.
Old 05-06-16, 12:55 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

So clicking dislike is the equivalent of murder?

I have never considered somebody clicking the "dislike" to be in any way an overreaction or an extreme expression of hatred. I know you don't see it that way either. So I don't know what you are trying to say in your post. Maybe you'd like to try again.
Old 05-06-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hand to God/Xenu/Voodoo Man, last night at Cap everyone laughed. Not a gut-busting, uproarious laughter but undeniably a positive reaction. It was the revised version with the concert and more Hemsworth including his ghost drawing as opposed to the Exorcist stuff.

Full disclosure: this was at a sparsely-attended 7:15 3D showing compared to a likely-packed 7:00 2D showing, so for all I know that screening had people vomiting in the aisles.
Old 05-06-16, 01:37 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Having re-watched them recently:
Ghostbusters (1984) remains as a true comedy classic. One of the best of the decade and holds strong despite its age.

Ghostbusters II (1989) I saw this movie in the theatre, and watched it countless times growing up. I adored it more than the first one for quite a few years, even.
But... it's complete shit to me now. Barely any of it is funny; the actors' delivery is bad, the writing is bad, the entire story is bad. It's terrible. The only shining light is Janosz; a character I despised before, and, well, still do. But nearly everything he says and does is funny as hell. For me, he's going to be the only reason I go back to revisit this in the future, other than maybe a young Sigourney Weaver fix.

I expect Ghostbusters 2016 to land somewhere in between these two, probably dead center. I didn't love the original trailer, but I didn't hate it either. I like newer one more. I'm still very cautious about it, thinking it might be closer to GB2 than GB in quality, but there's no way it'll be the dumpster fire that GB2 was.

I'll see it in the theatre, so I guess Sony is getting my filthy money.
Old 05-06-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by A-aron
I like how even McCarthy sees the issues when the trailer promotes this as a sequel with the "30 years ago" intro. Her comments indicate that she voiced displeasure with the trailer and was told to pound sand.
Sony: This is a progressive movie! Haters are being sexist!

McCarthy: This trailer doesn't make sense, is it a reboot or a sequel?

Sony: We don't care what you think, beat it, bitch.
Old 05-06-16, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Like her or not, McCarthy definitely comes off as level headed, shame about that cousin of hers.
Old 05-06-16, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I would agree - I didn't laugh either. But those people aren't going to YouTube and hitting "dislike". They say "looks bad" and move on.

It's like biting into a sandwich and saying "ugh, this isn't good" vs. burning the shop down and murdering the owner's family. Yes, both are negative reactions but one is far more extreme.
I agree that both are negative reactions, but one would be far beyond the scope of the other.
And I would also agree that the people that thought the trailer was terrible in theaters arent the ones going to youtube and hitting "dislike". But why is the thinking that those "dislikes" were not by people who genuinely disliked the trailer? It was god awful, after all.
Old 05-06-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Hand to God/Xenu/Voodoo Man, last night at Cap everyone laughed. Not a gut-busting, uproarious laughter but undeniably a positive reaction. It was the revised version with the concert and more Hemsworth including his ghost drawing as opposed to the Exorcist stuff.

Full disclosure: this was at a sparsely-attended 7:15 3D showing compared to a likely-packed 7:00 2D showing, so for all I know that screening had people vomiting in the aisles.
I saw BvS last Friday and it was pretty crowded. They definitely laughed at the GB trailer.
Old 05-06-16, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I saw BvS last Friday and it was pretty crowded. They definitely laughed at the GB trailer.
But... but... but... YOUTUBE DISLIKES!
Old 05-06-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
So clicking dislike is the equivalent of murder?
No, it's called a metaphor.

I have never considered somebody clicking the "dislike" to be in any way an overreaction or an extreme expression of hatred. I know you don't see it that way either. So I don't know what you are trying to say in your post. Maybe you'd like to try again.
Clicking "dislike" as many times at it has been disliked on YouTube has gone beyond "its bad" and is now "let's see how many times we can dislike this trailer".

So the reaction has escalated beyond what a normal "bad" trailer would receive.

Good stats here:

The Ghostbusters trailer currently has 507,610 dislikes on YouTube. To put that in perspective, the Fantastic Four trailer from last year has only 20,175 dislikes. The Ridiculous Six trailer, which has an impressive 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, has only 5,803 dislikes. Could Ghostbusters be that much worse than either of those two movies? It’s seems unlikely knowing what we know about both Fantastic Four and Ridiculous Six. What is actually happening is that a certain subset of people on the internet have an unhealthy fixation with hating on the Ghostbusters remake and are teaming up to downvote it into oblivion.
Justin Bieber’s “Baby” (#1 on the list) has a whopping 6 million thumbs down votes, but that’s on 1.36 billion views for a 226:1 ratio of views to dislikes. Psy’s “Gangnam Style” video (#4 overall) has almost 1.5 million thumbs down on 2.5 billion views for a relatively high ratio of 1,666:1. The Ghostbusters trailer is remarkable in that it has 507,610 dislikes on just 28.7 million views. That’s a staggering 56:1, almost exactly four times the amount of dislikes per view of Bieber’s aforementioned most disliked video on all of YouTube. (By contrast, a trailer for a movie like Captain America: Civil War has a 5,237:1 ratio.) It’s not just that people dislike it, it’s that they’re disliking it at a highly disproportionate rate to other YouTube videos.
Old 05-06-16, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In completely unrelated news, the latest Call of Duty game trailer has racked up over 500,000 dislikes since it launched on Monday. And of course there's no way this the result of a bunch of whiny dicks entertaining themselves with a mass dislike campaign/game. There's just no way people would do that.
Old 05-06-16, 07:17 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Regarding COD, Polygon has a good opinion piece about it, and mentions Ghostbusters. But they end it with this image, which pretty much sums up how seriously to take internet anger, such as the Modern Warfare 2 boycott:

spoiler'ed for size
Spoiler:
Old 05-06-16, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

YouTube dislike campaigns will probably be the new trendy thing to do on the internet given all the press these two instances now.
Old 05-06-16, 07:39 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, if bluelitespecial is lurking in this new thread:

My offer still stands but I've made it more specific. I will reimburse you for your ticket (2D or 3D), soda, and popcorn, if you see the film in the first month, and agree to post a lengthy review of the film to this forum.

The movie may be utter garbage, but I want your review more than I want the $20-$25.

To anyone else thinking this offer extends to you: no. This is for bluelitespecial only.
Old 05-06-16, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

If you want, I could act as a third-party verifyer if he's willing to see the movie over on this side of the state line. I think he's over on the Kansas side.
Old 05-06-16, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by General Zod
The most disliked Trailer in Youtube history..

YouTube Link

Now some are saying this is because people have a problem with an all-women cast but.. you know.. this remake looks really REALLY lame. What about that?
I'm hearing a lot of the "It's just because it's an all-female cast" criticisms. I can't deny that there's credence to this, especially given that lots of MRA assholes seem to have come out against it. I think that there was always going to be a backlash given that this franchise has a vocal fanbase who've wanted a proper sequel for decades. The fact is, they took a franchise that had a marketable name, attached to stars and a director who are currently popular, and likely won't be tremendously reverential to the original. It's show business. I get it. That was the most financially viable bet. But I'm not surprised that a lot of fans have seriously objected, and in doing so, I think it's become the whole gender politics battleground, partly deliberately and partly accidentally. But yeah, frankly, the trailer really just wasn't any good.
Old 05-06-16, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I still don't see how the trailer is bad. It's not hilarious like the trailer for Keanu, but it's alright. Still not gonna see it though, but for the people involved I hope it's successful. The studio would have had my money though if they had cast Lizzy Caplan.

She wanted very much to be in the next Ghostbusters film, but they wanted more bankable stars, which makes sense.
Old 05-07-16, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
BTW, if bluelitespecial is lurking in this new thread:

My offer still stands but I've made it more specific. I will reimburse you for your ticket (2D or 3D), soda, and popcorn, if you see the film in the first month, and agree to post a lengthy review of the film to this forum.

The movie may be utter garbage, but I want your review more than I want the $20-$25.

To anyone else thinking this offer extends to you: no. This is for bluelitespecial only.
Yep I have been lurking as I have also pretty much backed out of the Regressive Left thread. I don't know how you would reimburse me, but I still may consider your offer. I have absolutely no problem saying that I hate this movie's existance because of the gender bender concept and that its being rebooted. Paul Feig can call me an asshole, I don't care. Paul Feig, Amy Pascal, and Tom Rothman didn't listen to what the fans wanted in a new Ghostbusters. Then said if you don't like it, "Fuck Off". That's a horrible business model and for that alone it deserves to bomb. Also if I do see it I will be wearing this t shirt.
NSFW:

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 05-07-16 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-07-16, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
If you want, I could act as a third-party verifyer if he's willing to see the movie over on this side of the state line. I think he's over on the Kansas side.
Yes, I am in Lenexa on the Kansas side. I am kind of afraid to show my face to anyone here, but I am not the raging asshole you all think I am. Btw, if Ivan Reitman got to make his Ghostbusters with a mixed gendered cast, Lizzy Caplan would have been a great choice to have been in this, I agree.
Old 05-07-16, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Old 05-07-16, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
In completely unrelated news, the latest Call of Duty game trailer has racked up over 500,000 dislikes since it launched on Monday. And of course there's no way this the result of a bunch of whiny dicks entertaining themselves with a mass dislike campaign/game. There's just no way people would do that.
The Call of Duty series has been declining in popularity for quite a while and by now has a fair balance of fans and people who are tired of it so it's not exactly unexpected. I'm sorry but I just don't buy that a bunch of haters are solely responsible for this film's trailer getting all of its dislikes. Even if we go with that and say that haters are responsible for at least half of the votes that's still close to 400,000 people who disliked it as opposed to around 250,000 who liked it.
Old 05-07-16, 05:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
If the trailer were good I'd give the movie a chance.

It's not good. It's not even mediocre. It makes the movie look awful, and not very funny.

The trailer usually makes the movie look better than it is. If that is true here this movie is gonna suck. Hard.
I hope we're wrong and it's a good film, but this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.