Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016) - The Trailer

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016) - The Trailer

Old 05-26-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016) - The Trailer

This may be a minor thing, but in the first trailer, after Jones slaps McCarthy (hard), there is absolutely NO redness in the face afterwards. That...doesn't sell the slap. At all.
Old 05-26-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Not surprisingly...you missed the "But seriously" in the next paragraph letting you know I was kidding.
Not surprisingly... the "just kidding" from you comes with a very large grain of salt given your posting history.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Again, her success and popularity disagrees with you...
So now we are judging quality based off of commercial success. Good to know.
Old 05-26-16, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Not surprisingly... the "just kidding" from you comes with a very large grain of salt.
You Salty Girlfriend? That's your problem not mine. I don't know you past your posts on this forum. How the fuck can i know if you're personally racist? that said, you made the following sorry ass comment that comes across a bit guilt ridden:

Originally Posted by jjcool
I'm sure some troll will be along before too long to tell me that I'm a racist or a sexist
...so I answered that comment with my JOKING comment about you being racist. That's all it was.

So now we are judging quality based off of commercial success. Good to know.
Outside of your PERSONAL opinions of her and your coin purse, her "quality" is not determined by you. So yes... in this case i most certainly am judging it that way.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-26-16 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-26-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Back on Topic...

This film is gonna suuuuck!!! [/net rage]
Old 05-26-16, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

McCarthy also has credibility in the comedy world. The Oscar nom certainly helps cement that but it says a lot when she's been welcomed into practically every comedy circle that is populated by otherwise need-accepted comedians. She was Bill Murray's 1st pick for a female Ghostbuster before she was even cast.

The comedy world is very incestuous and it's also very vicious. You don't see comedians ragging on her movies like you see them ragging on Sandler, Schneider, etc. You don't see any of her movies used as a bad-movie punchline like Deuce Bigalow or Paul Blart.

Subtract the disapproval of the whiny man-babies of the internet world and it becomes pretty much undeniable that the cast and director of the new movie are entering into it with a pedigree comparable to that of the original cast and director.

Reply prediction: that just proves comedy is in a sad state, comedy was better in my day, get off my lawn etc.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 05-26-16 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-26-16, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Subtract the disapproval of the whiny man-babies of the internet
While I agree that sexism is a motivating factor for some fans' vitriol, you are by far the most insulting person posting in this thread. If you think the movie looks good, great, try to focus on the movie instead of attacking other posters.
Old 05-26-16, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I think a big reason why the comedy doesn't seem to work as well judging by what we've seen and what's been reported is that it feels a bit too forced in and like the cast are all trying to get their moments in. The original film's comedy came more from the situation the guys were in and they pretty much dead panned it and acted like scientists who were in a strange situation. They weren't necessarily acting like comedians playing wacky parts like the women of this film appear to be.
Old 05-26-16, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
While I agree that sexism is a motivating factor for some fans' vitriol, you are by far the most insulting person posting in this thread. If you think the movie looks good, great, try to focus on the movie instead of attacking other posters.
Ok, here we go, a little positive talk in the style of the "critics":

The movie looks FUNNY! These are CLEVER people playing these FUNNY roles. The director is TALENTED.

Now they match.
Old 05-26-16, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I know that's how I feel. When rumors of Ben Stiller and Seth Rogan as young Ghostbusters were floated around I felt just as disapointed as when I heard they were green-lighting LadyGhostbusters.
Just great! Now we have to deal with anti-semitism in this thread as well.

Old 05-26-16, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Ok, here we go, a little positive talk in the style of the "critics":

The movie looks FUNNY! These are CLEVER people playing these FUNNY roles. The director is TALENTED.

Now they match.
Your post is still focused on other posters. The sexist posters are just embarrassing themselves with their comments, nobody takes them seriously. But when you generalize and lump everybody together to fit your narrative and insult fellow posters, you're doing more to drag this thread into negativity than anybody else. It's clear that we can't discuss this movie like mature adults. And that's true for both sides.
Old 05-26-16, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Guys, can't we just get back to shitting on this movie?
Old 05-26-16, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your post is still focused on other posters. The sexist posters are just embarrassing themselves with their comments, nobody takes them seriously. But when you generalize and lump everybody together to fit your narrative and insult fellow posters, you're doing more to drag this thread into negativity than anybody else. It's clear that we can't discuss this movie like mature adults. And that's true for both sides.
This. Its not just here but everywhere online when someone criticizes the film that people are generalizing the dislike some have for this film as being for sexist reasons. Yeah there is a degree of sexism from some people but I think that angle has been played up to be a bigger factor than it actually is. That seems to be the go to for any defender of this film whenever anyone gives valid reasons why they don't like it. James Rolfe (The Angry Video Game Nerd) is a perfect example. His videos mentioned nothing negative about the female cast yet people were so quick to label him as a sexist because he gave an opinion on the film and why he doesn't want to see it.
Old 05-26-16, 06:03 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

With friends like him the movie doesn't need enemies. He's poisonous.
Old 05-26-16, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not saying Rolfe was motivated by sexism, but I did find his public announcement of preemptively dismissing the film odd. I can understand him not reviewing the film, but I didn't understand why he felt he had to announce the decision in such a dramatic manner.
Old 05-26-16, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's a big fan of the franchise. He's done multiple Ghostbusters related videos including a three part Angry Video Game Nerd review of the various games and a video where he went around New York finding some of the filming locations. Frankly I don't see why he has to have other motives according to some just because he did a video (in a very calm and rational manner no less) where he simply said why he didn't want to see the new film. I also would guess that he preemptively did the video so he doesn't get questions as to why he's not reviewing it once it's out because I'm sure fans have asked his input given his status as a well known YouTube star who's known for being a fan of the franchise.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-27-16 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-26-16, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099

And that is where most of the hatred comes from. Not "sexism". It comes from a group of fans who had something that they wanted to see, fans who kept the torch alive, and fans who felt cheated because they were basically being given a giant middle finger by Sony and they responded in kind.
I agree with this. I don't play into (or believe) the sexism argument as much as I do the argument that it just doesn't "feel" like a GB continuation.

This might seem odd, but the trailer...wasn't a complete failure.

I could see some funny moments, but I'm not sure about the cohesive group of GB fighters we've been used to. I'll give it a chance.

Special effects look pretty cool, with a lot of vibrant colors, so hopefully I just didn't see the entire effects in this trailer. With a 4K release, this could really make your television pop with some colors you've never seen or experienced since you put Avatar in your blu-ray player.

If anything, the hatred, if there is any, should be directed at Sony. They obviously are only responding to a marketing niche, and could have cared less about their original fans.
Old 05-27-16, 07:06 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

If we could block one person from posting in this thread, who would it be...
Old 05-27-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Maybe we could sell the rights for a movie adaptation of this thread? I am sure it would be more entertaining than the shitfest that will hit the screens this summer. My suggestions are Eddie Money to play Eddie Money, Jenny McCarthy as Guru Askew and Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln.
Old 05-27-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

But when you generalize and lump everybody together to fit your narrative and insult fellow posters, you're doing more to drag this thread into negativity than anybody else.
Originally Posted by Mabuse
With friends like him the movie doesn't need enemies. He's poisonous.
Quoted for truth. He's the reason the first thread was locked, after all. Surprised this one hasn't been locked yet.
Old 05-27-16, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This movie is gonna make a shit ton of money. You think this thread is entertaining now, just wait till release. lmao
Old 05-27-16, 08:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

until this conversation stops sounding like a three ring circus and devolving into mean comments, this thread and topic is closed.
Old 05-31-16, 03:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

...now play nice or I'll show some folk to the door
Old 05-31-16, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

I guess we can start with this...

Dan Aykroyd Has Seen The New Ghostbusters And He Has Some Strong Opinions

No film slated to hit theaters this year has a harder uphill battle than Paul Feig’s Ghostbusters remake. From day one, the Internet was set ablaze with people aggressively hating on the upcoming film – panning everything from the gender-swapped leads to the lack of involvement by the original cast. With so much mounting pressure, everyone is dying to know if the film will actually even be good or not. As it turns out, original Ghostbuster Dan Aykroyd has seen the film, and he has some strong opinions about it.

Dan Aykroyd recently revealed that he got a chance to attend an early screening of the Ghostbusters reboot, and took to social media to sing the film’s praises:

As originator of the original: Saw test screening of new movie. Apart from brilliant, genuine performances from the cast both female and male, it has more laughs and more scares than the first 2 films plus Bill Murray is in it! As one of millions of man-fans and Ray Stantz, I'm paying to see that and bringing all my friends!

That’s about as definitive as an opinion can get on this matter. Dan Aykroyd has seen Paul Feig’s version of Ghostbusters, and he wholeheartedly encourages people to do the same. Seemingly against all odds, he thoroughly enjoyed himself while watching the modern update of the franchise he helped build. He even goes on to reveal that the movie has a Bill Murray cameo, which should be enough to fill plenty of theater seat.

No film in recent memory has drawn the same level of fan ire as the Ghostbusters remake. The early reaction to the film’s very existence has been overwhelmingly negative, with people screaming out that remaking a classic ruins their childhood. Hatred for the upcoming film has become so immense that the trailer for Ghostbusters secured itself the spot of the most disliked movie trailer on YouTube ever.

It’s genuinely heartwarming to see Dan Akyroyd sticking up for the upcoming reboot. Considering the sheer amount of modern comedic talent behind the movie, it’s hard to completely comprehend why people have so quickly taken to hating this film. Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy have become two of Hollywood’s strongest box office draws – particularly their collaborations with director Paul Feig – and Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones have become two of the only bright spots on the current Saturday Night Live lineup. In an age characterized by reboots and remakes, Ghostbusters could have fallen into considerably worse hands.

Whether or not the poor reception of the Ghostbusters trailers is an indication of its box office showing remains to be seen. We'll find out soon enough, as Ghostbusters arrives in theaters on July 15, 2016
Not a surprise!
Old 05-31-16, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts

Not surprised he has probably been bribed to say that, and now Melissa Mccarthy thinks I need a friend.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/What-...hy-134087.html
All those comments – ‘You’re ruining my childhood!’ I mean, really. Four women doing any movie on earth will destroy your childhood? I have a visual of those people not having a Ben [Falcone], not having friends, so they’re just sitting there and spewing hate into this fake world of the internet. I just hope they find a friend.
Old 05-31-16, 05:13 PM
Banned

I'm sure comments like those will help the movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.