Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lights Out -- D: Sandberg S: Palmer, Bello, Burke -- Produced by James Wan 7/22/16

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lights Out -- D: Sandberg S: Palmer, Bello, Burke -- Produced by James Wan 7/22/16

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-16, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts
Re: Lights Out -- D: Sandberg S: Palmer, Bello, Burke -- Produced by James Wan 7/22/1

According to what, two people on DVDtalk who didn't like it? This is certified fresh on RottenTomatoes; their opinion is the small minority.
Old 07-28-16, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Lights Out -- D: Sandberg S: Palmer, Bello, Burke -- Produced by James Wan 7/22/1

Pretty sure DVDTalk isn't the only place talking about it.
Lots people on FB who got free passes at SDCC said it was a shit.
Old 07-28-16, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Pretty sure DVDTalk isn't the only place talking about it.
Lots people on FB who got free passes at SDCC said it was a shit.
So, people who actually paid money to see a movie vs a group of people who'll grab a free movie ticket to anything is a fair comparison?
Old 07-28-16, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
So, people who actually paid money to see a movie vs a group of people who'll grab a free movie ticket to anything is a fair comparison?
Even you said it was just a mild recommendation. I'd say the same thing. It was pretty good. Not great.
Old 07-29-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, paying money makes you like a movie better than if you saw it for free, even if it's really shit?
Makes perfect sense ....
Old 07-29-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VHS?
So, paying money makes you like a movie better than if you saw it for free, even if it's really shit?
Makes perfect sense ....
Sure. Don't you usually pay to see a movie that interests you?

At Comic-Con, people want anything free. I would take the opinion of someone who paid to see a movie over someone who just blindly go see anything because it's free. I attended Comic-Con for many years to see people grabbing free shit.
Old 07-29-16, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What I'm getting at is just because you see a movie for free or whether you pay, if a movie is good, it's good. If it's shit, it's shit. Having to pay or not shouldn't determine whether or not you think a movie is good or not.
You're saying we shouldn't listen to people who got free tickets vs those who paid.
Free shit and Comic Con have nothing to do with this.
I see people on this board talking about getting free screenings all the time. I dont see any talk of this kind.

We got how many on this forum who say a movie is shit just watching a trailer
Old 07-29-16, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

So, basically, instead of people who watch movies for a living, the majority of whom like it, you instead are going to go with the opinions of complete strangers who you know nothing about.

VHS: "yo, I don't know your name, or what movies you like, but what did you think of Lights Out?"

Comic Con doofus 1: "eh it was shit" (doesn't even like horror movies)

Comic Con idiot 2: "it sucked man" (thinks the Transformers franchise is the best)

VHS: "OK, I'll take your word for it!"

You know what VHS, you shouldn't see this movie, because even if you thought it was OK I can see you being the type of person who wouldn't admit it. You're already extremely biased against it anyway.
Old 07-29-16, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Holy shit You guys are full on bent on this HAHAHAHA
You guys are adding shit that isn't even there.

And I'll probably see it at some point. Just glad I did other things during SDCC than watch a movie that some said wasn't that good

Last edited by VHS?; 07-29-16 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-30-16, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

In regards to a movie like Lights Out, I'd be more interested in the opinion of somebody who participates in the DVD Talk October Horror Challenge than a comic book movie fan.
Old 08-01-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

This looks decent. I'm a sucker for the type of atmosphere/environment it takes place in.
Old 08-04-16, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw it yesterday afternoon and enjoyed it. It was pretty creepy, well paced, and didn't overstay it's welcome(It's only 80 minutes long). The audience did scream and jump throughout, which added to the fun. I missed the first five minutes of the movie since I was running late, but I doubt I missed anything other than a scene in the trailer featuring the woman from the original short, which I'm sure has nothing to do with the rest of the movie, and probably was mandated by the studio to begin with a jump scare sequence.

Despite the short running time, there was build up to the jump/scare moments and just a sense of dread throughout. The direction and editing was good as well, compared to say the awful Amityville Horror remake from years ago which also had a short running time, but non-stop hyper active MTV editing and jump scares galore.
Old 08-04-16, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I missed the first five minutes of the movie since I was running late, but I doubt I missed anything other than a scene in the trailer featuring the woman from the original short, which I'm sure has nothing to do with the rest of the movie, and probably was mandated by the studio to begin with a jump scare sequence.
Spoiler:
The first scene of the movie shows the owner of the mannequin factory getting killed by Diana. The owner turns out to be Paul, the father/husband. His body was never found so they thought he abandoned them. Later in the basement it's revealed that it was Diana that killed Paul.
Old 08-06-16, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spoiler:
The first scene of the movie shows the owner of the mannequin factory getting killed by Diana. The owner turns out to be Paul, the father/husband. His body was never found so they thought he abandoned them. Later in the basement it's revealed that it was Diana that killed Paul.
Thanks for the info!
Old 08-06-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Saw this. It was a bit elevated above the standard PG-13 horror fare. But don't expect that full, emotional experience you got with The Conjuring and Insidious. I look forward to whatever the director does next.

Some good scares. It was fun and breezy. Never slows down.

Small theater was packed with a vocal crowd. The bit where the boyfriend uses the car lights was probably the high point (clever and unexpected).
Old 08-12-16, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Spoiler:
I just saw this last night and

Spoiler:
There were 2 different husbands that Diana killed. The husband that was killed in the opening scene was Martin's father. I was under the impression that they knew he was dead, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

The husband that they thought had abandoned them, and it was later revealed that Diana had killed him also, was Rebecca's father.
Old 08-12-16, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I just saw this last night and

Spoiler:
There were 2 different husbands that Diana killed. The husband that was killed in the opening scene was Martin's father. I was under the impression that they knew he was dead, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

The husband that they thought had abandoned them, and it was later revealed that Diana had killed him also, was Rebecca's father.
I must've missed it along the way. I'll watch for it when I watch again on home video. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-22-16, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Just watched this and it was surprisingly well made. I liked that it was an efficient horror movie with very little filler.

***¾/***** (B+, 7.6/10, 3/4)
Old 11-01-16, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Just watched this and it was surprisingly well made. I liked that it was an efficient horror movie with very little filler.
I agree. It was fun and the running time was just right.
Old 11-01-16, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Might have to change my mind and give this a gander.
Old 12-23-16, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I kind of liked this. It didn't really mine the allegorical underpinnings as much as it could-a guy like Craven would've had a field day with the themes-and the treatment of depression (
Spoiler:
Suicide defeat the monster
) is kind of disturbing. But with one little exception, it doesn't cheat, keep its monster in silhouette, has a cool creature, Bello elevates everything she touches as always, the film has the increasingly rare damned sense to be 80 minutes long, and it does some cool stuff with the central conceit. The key fob bit was particularly nice. Hats off to the cinematographer, this has a be a DP's worst nightmare, and they do a cool job of handling it. It was a solid little horror movie.