Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) — The Reviews Thread
1.33%
4.67%
18.67%
19.33%
17.33%
18.67%
8.67%
4.00%
1.33%
2.00%
2.00%
What are you high?
2.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
And.. apparently Batman kills pretty openly now? Is that right? I saw the bits of him shooting w/ the Batwing.. but wanted to somehow believe that what I saw wasn't the whole sum of it.
Spoiler:
It's not the whole sum of it.
Spoiler:
It's a dream sequence, but an odd one that doesn't add anything to the story. It may have been a reference that went over my head.
Old 03-23-16, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

So the Batwing sequence (from the way it's edited) shooting up guys on the truck is part of that too?
Old 03-23-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Batman, to me, has always represented the dark and gritty and complex side of adulthood. Snyder is delivering the visuals of Underworld or an Evanescence music video. Pretty to look at, but it's not Batman.

The dark and gritty Batman I've always envisioned in film would benefit from someone like Fincher (or even Affleck) directing. I don't argue that Burton's films were not seminal and important, but their tone was always off.

The question is, how much of this is Snyder's effort and how much of it is directed (no pun intended) by the brass at DC/WB as far as the direction they want to go in.
Old 03-23-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
So the Batwing sequence (from the way it's edited) shooting up guys on the truck is part of that too?
Spoiler:

I honestly don't remember.
Old 03-23-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Supermallet
That's really stupid. Cavill can be a good actor. They should be blaming the director.
Cavill's not the problem.
Old 03-23-16, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Spoiler:
It's not the whole sum of it.
Spoiler:
It's a dream sequence, but an odd one that doesn't add anything to the story. It may have been a reference that went over my head.
The video review by Chris Stuckmann made it sound like Batman openly kills and not just in the dream sequence. So that isn't true?

Originally Posted by Supermallet
That's really stupid. Cavill can be a good actor. They should be blaming the director.
I actually like Cavill too. He's been in some good films. It wasn't the best thing ever or anything but I actually liked him in the adaptation of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. that came out last year. Snyder makes shit films and DC put him in charge so we pretty much know what we're in for with all these upcoming films.
Old 03-23-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

This made me chuckle...

And man, it really does look like the cave troll from LOTR.

Spoiler:
Old 03-23-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also looks like The Abomination from Incredible Hulk.
Old 03-23-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I actually like Cavill too. He's been in some good films. It wasn't the best thing ever or anything but I actually liked him in the adaptation of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. that came out last year. Snyder makes shit films and DC put him in charge so we pretty much know what we're in for with all these upcoming films.
100% correct.

Also, have zero issue with Cavill.
Old 03-23-16, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

How long is Spider-Man's screen time in this?
Old 03-23-16, 02:04 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Didn't expect much from Hack Snyder.

Looks like he has met my expectations.
Old 03-23-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by stvn1974
How long is Spider-Man's screen time in this?
He gets shot with dark space magic from Savage Dragon in the first five minutes.
Old 03-23-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Come on man, spoiler that.
Old 03-23-16, 02:35 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by The Bus
He gets shot with dark space magic from Savage Dragon in the first five minutes.
Old 03-23-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I loved this, as it highlights everything wrong with Snyder's approach to DC heroes:

The Flash: This character appears twice, once in a dream sequence that will make no sense to perhaps 90% of the audience. On the surveillance tapes that Lex has Barry Allen shows up, long hair pulled up, in a convenience store shopping for milk. It turns out the store he's in is being robbed, and Barry quickly runs across the store and knocks out the robber. Here's the thing: when he activates his power the electricity in the store blows out, shelves get knocked over and the lighting fixtures explode. I am guessing the robber would have nabbed $50; Barry causes hundreds more in damage.
Old 03-23-16, 03:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

Critics Consensus: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice smothers a potentially powerful story -- and some of America's most iconic superheroes -- in a grim whirlwind of effects-driven action.
Old 03-23-16, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That was the Flash in that dream sequence? That confused the hell out of me.
Old 03-24-16, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Now the question is if this movie takes a big enough hit at the box office, will they course-adjust their DC comics movies, and/or just start from scratch, if it's a big enough disaster - though it might do alright worldwide.
I can't see them starting from scratch. They are already so behind from Marvel and desperately want to emulation the success of The Avengers by having Justice League. Those movies area already in pre-production.

I think people are overreacting. The movie will pull in good numbers. There's nothing else exciting at the box office right now and screw the critics, people are still going to want to see the epic showdown between Batman and Superman. I don't get all the Zack hate. I've enjoyed almost all his movies and like his epic style. I don't go to a superhero movie get Oscar worthy acting and storytelling. I go to see exciting action and special effects.
Old 03-24-16, 08:42 AM
RIP

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I don't go to a superhero movie get Oscar worthy acting and storytelling. I go to see exciting action and special effects.
Yeah, who needs a good story? Shit blowing up more than suffices.
Old 03-24-16, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Early box office projections are predicting a $160 million domestic opening for "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice." This number is part of the total global predicted box office, which is currently projected at $350 million.

"Batman v Superman" has already broken Fandango's record for most tickets sold on their app for a superhero movie, and even though the critics are mostly panning the film, the fan reaction from early screenings seems to be pretty positive.

Deadline also shared the following information about social media impressions for "Batman v Superman," as tracked by RelishMix: "Currently BvS’ total SMU figure is the fifth-highest behind behind Furious 7 (1.05B), Minions (1.01B), Avengers: Age Of Ultron (942.3M) and The Force Awakens (880.4M). But that reach gives Warner Bros. plenty to brag about since it beats Captain America: Civil War (454.3M), X-Men Apocalypse (374M) and Jurassic World (304M).
Old 03-24-16, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Yeah, who needs a good story? Shit blowing up more than suffices.
Yup. When you get down to the basics it's all about the story. In comics it's all about the story and if it has good art; it's just icing on the cake.
Old 03-24-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Yup. When you get down to the basics it's all about the story. In comics it's all about the story and if it has good art; it's just icing on the cake.
You should know, because man, you come right out of a comic book.
Old 03-24-16, 10:36 AM
Banned

Old 03-24-16, 10:41 AM
Banned

No matter what these types of films... that are literally a MASSIVE as fuck franchise. A good story that's executed well ensure longevity for these types of things. I'm not saying Marvel has been the whole time, it hasn't but it mostly is. Add in that.. the guy that is taking care of the whole damn franchise is a fan. Marvel excels cuz of Feige. And turns out... he's pretty good at his job.

WB doesn't have that. They have Snyder and Goyer. Jesus. One knows how to make really beautiful looking cool shit and the other has some great ideas. Unfortunately the former has no sense of creating actual depth from his direction and the latter is a crap writer.
Old 03-24-16, 10:47 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I dunno, Goyer is hit and miss. But he did Blade/Blade II, Batman Begins/The Dark Knight, and a few others that are really good. Crap writer to me is Akiva Goldsman, you know, the genius writer of Batman Forever, I Robot, and Lost in Space.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.