Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) — The Reviews Thread
1.33%
4.67%
18.67%
19.33%
17.33%
18.67%
8.67%
4.00%
1.33%
2.00%
2.00%
What are you high?
2.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 01:00 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

this thing's a bust -- 0% on RT currently (0 fresh of 2). time to sell off my tickets
Old 03-22-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

I pretty much knew it all along anyways as they made it pretty clear with giving him both the regular and armored suits from that story and just a number of things that have been shown are clear nods to that story. I just am not a fan of that interpretation.
Old 03-22-16, 01:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata
So is there any mention or reference to Richard Grayson at all or what?
No. They just show the Robin suit that is shown in the trailers.

If there is any mention of Grayson, it probably got cut for the home video R-rated release.
Old 03-22-16, 01:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I've suspected this all along and its definitely one of the things that makes me wary about this film.
I think the trailers pretty much clued us all in to how Batman would be. And who doesn't know by now how much Zach loves loves loves (and probably faps to) to The Dark Knight Returns?

And, yeah, it's a dark and serious film, not much comedy, but it's well-done for what it is. At least the darkness fits for the story. The darker tone did not fit for MoS at all.
Old 03-22-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by faust69
I think the trailers pretty much clued us all in to how Batman would be. And who doesn't know by now how much Zach loves loves loves (and probably faps to) to The Dark Knight Returns?

And, yeah, it's a dark and serious film, not much comedy, but it's well-done for what it is. At least the darkness fits for the story. The darker tone did not fit for MoS at all.
That's good at least. I don't care for Man of Steel as much upon subsequent viewings because I feel its too dark of a story for Superman. This film may work a bit better given that it has Batman in it. I still have a bit of concern about there being too much going on for one film though.
Old 03-22-16, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Going to see this on Monday (busy with work this weekend)

Even better that I have the $8 Movie Cash from buying the BD of Gotham season 1.

It's a super long movie, so I'm going to try to stay dehydrated for the movie. No large drinks.
Old 03-22-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much screen time does Batman have compared to Superman?
Old 03-22-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
How much screen time does Batman have compared to Superman?
I'd say it's pretty equal.
Old 03-22-16, 05:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

from a rotten review:
"No major blockbuster in years has been this incoherently structured, this seemingly uninterested in telling a story with clarity and purpose."
Old 03-22-16, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Currently sitting at 27%.

From Matt Singer of Screencrush

Snyder seems to be shooting for The Empire Strikes Back; the big, somber middle chapter of an epic saga. But he’s wound up at something closer to Iron Man 2; a bloated, frustrating superhero serial featuring a protagonist crowded out of his own movie by a second star, a bunch of villains, and the obligation to lay tons of cinematic universe groundwork.
Old 03-22-16, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It sounds par for the course for Snyder from what I've read. Nice visuals but a bloated, incoherent story.
Old 03-22-16, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I haven't seen the film yet but it can't be as mind numbing stupid as the Dark Knight Rises. So it already gets at least two stars going in.
Old 03-22-16, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Jesus this isn't looking good

I'll still enjoy it probably, I like Man Of Steel
Old 03-22-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

That free ticket I got from buying the two Burton and Schumacker films is looking like an even better deal now.
Old 03-22-16, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I feel like these reviewers are expecting to much from a comic book story

Age Of Ultron got a 75% on Rotten and that story was terrible and the movie pretty much sucked

I'd rather watch Man Of Steel again than Age Of Ultron
Old 03-22-16, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Doom and Gloom!

When I see sites like IGN and GQ posting reviews I just roll my eyes. Stick with what you know.
Old 03-22-16, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by redrum

Age Of Ultron got a 75% on Rotten and that story was terrible and the movie pretty much sucked

Maybe to some extent but I think a lot of the reviews thus far are pointing to what's been evident for quite some time. It sounds like a fairly standard Zack Snyder film that's style over substance and it sounds like the film tries to cram in way too much too fast. I think that this will be a film that most of the general public will like and it'll definitely make a lot of money but I don't think its going to be anything mind blowingly awesome.
Old 03-22-16, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts

Variety's review is what some might consider glowing, and is the type of review that makes me really excited to see the film in a week or two (I might pass on the opening weekend crowds...or maybe not, as I bet this film will be packed each weekend for nearly a month, so perhaps I just need to arrive nearly an hour early and take my chances).
Old 03-22-16, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Or more likely that you just happen to be in the minority with an opinion rather then an actual fault with the reviewers.

Movie is at 41% at the moment, 14 to 20. I hope it rises a bit, but honestly it doesn't matter since I'm watching it Friday or Saturday no matter what and as someone that enjoyed Man of Steel, I think i'll probably still be entertained.

Originally Posted by stingermck
Doom and Gloom!

When I see sites like IGN and GQ posting reviews I just roll my eyes. Stick with what you know.
You're so determined to dissuade any negativity
Old 03-22-16, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Think I'll wait for the Blu-ray. Sorry, DC and WB, but I like FUN in my funny book movies.
Old 03-22-16, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

First, it's a Zack Snyder film through-and-through. That's almost always the case with Batman films, and it continues to be the case here. If you don't like any of his movies, this won't sway your argument. The tone you saw in Man on Steel is the tone you'll see in this film. It doesn't fit as nicely as the finest representation of Batman (the original animated series) or the truest modern presentation of Batman (Nolan's films).

Second, at least for me, it comes off what I keep coming back to as one of my favorite films to see when nothing else is on: Dark Knight Rises. So it would be very difficult for this new Batman film to be as good as DKR. So it has that against it.

Third, there's the issue that aside from Frank Miller's book, there was never an actual physical threat to Batman vs. Superman. Neither were going to kill each other. So the conflict has to come from elsewhere. No amount of explosions (and there's plenty of them) can replace that.

Thankfully, we do get shades of character development and the introduction of Wonder Woman is a great addition. Lex Luthor is well cast, and the other cameos are a lot of fun. There's piles of superhero movies this is better than, and this is a perfectly fine way to tee off the Justice League.

Ultimately, for better or for worse, this film has Snyder's handprints all over it.
Old 03-22-16, 07:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hogwash. If this were 1997 I'd agree, but by now we've had Iron Man, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, etc. The bar has been raised. Comic books can make for great source material for movies. If this movie sucks, it's on the creative team, not the fact that it's based on a comic book.

Also, The Dark Knight Returns, which this film heavily borrows from, is considered one of the greatest comic books of all time. So again, if there's any fault here, it's with Snyder, Goyer, and WB. Not the reviewers, not the source material.
Old 03-22-16, 07:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
First, it's a Zack Snyder film through-and-through. That's almost always the case with Batman films, and it continues to be the case here. If you don't like any of his movies, this won't sway your argument. The tone you saw in Man on Steel is the tone you'll see in this film. It doesn't fit as nicely as the finest representation of Batman (the original animated series) or the truest modern presentation of Batman (Nolan's films).

Second, at least for me, it comes off what I keep coming back to as one of my favorite films to see when nothing else is on: Dark Knight Rises. So it would be very difficult for this new Batman film to be as good as DKR. So it has that against it.

Third, there's the issue that aside from Frank Miller's book, there was never an actual physical threat to Batman vs. Superman. Neither were going to kill each other. So the conflict has to come from elsewhere. No amount of explosions (and there's plenty of them) can replace that.

Thankfully, we do get shades of character development and the introduction of Wonder Woman is a great addition. Lex Luthor is well cast, and the other cameos are a lot of fun. There's piles of superhero movies this is better than, and this is a perfectly fine way to tee off the Justice League.

Ultimately, for better or for worse, this film has Snyder's handprints all over it.
Nice review, thanks Bus. How was the score? I kinda liked Man of Steel's. About the only redeeming quality for me...
Old 03-22-16, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not much of a score guy, but I thought Zimmer/JXL did a good job.
Old 03-22-16, 07:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus

Thanks. You took one for the team. No way am I interested in seeing this in a theater now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.