Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pete's Dragon remake (8/12/16, D: Lowery) S: B.D. Howard, R. Redford, K. Urban

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pete's Dragon remake (8/12/16, D: Lowery) S: B.D. Howard, R. Redford, K. Urban

Old 02-26-16, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts
re: Pete's Dragon remake (8/12/16, D: Lowery) S: B.D. Howard, R. Redford, K. Urban

This one is going to be a far cry from the original film, that's for sure.
Old 02-28-16, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
re: Pete's Dragon remake (8/12/16, D: Lowery) S: B.D. Howard, R. Redford, K. Urban

Originally Posted by RoboDad
DR. TERMINUS:
It's...
Poddamaquassy, no, Paquamasoddy, no, no, Passamamassy
Uh, Quoddamapoddy, p...p...Passamadaddy
q...q...q...Quoddamapassy...
Quoddamaddy, Dappadaddy, Dappamossy, Quoddapossy
Quassapossa, Passaquossa, ha ha ha ha!

TOWN'S FOLK:
Passamaquoddy!
Please tell me you did that from memory.
Old 03-02-16, 04:50 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And here comes another PG rated CGI all star dark Disney remake.
Old 06-14-16, 01:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Old 06-14-16, 01:05 PM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts

I remember liking the old version a lot when I was a kid...haven't watched that in years though. What I've seen for this new version isn't really doing much for me.
Old 06-14-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Originally Posted by dex14
I remember liking the old version a lot when I was a kid...haven't watched that in years though. What I've seen for this new version isn't really doing much for me.
I loved the original when I was a kid, but revisiting it when it came out on Blu-ray...it's really tough to get through. The pacing is torturous, and the movie drags on forever.
Old 06-14-16, 02:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

that trailer looked really really good.
Old 06-14-16, 02:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I loved the original when I was a kid, but revisiting it when it came out on Blu-ray...it's really tough to get through. The pacing is torturous, and the movie drags on forever.
My exact reaction as well. Doesn't hold up well as an adult. But my kids actually like it, if only to see the cartoon dragon make cute faces and sounds.
Old 06-14-16, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

I like the new trailer. I bet kids will eat this up.
Old 06-14-16, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

When did Karl Urban become evil Brad Pitt?

Maybe I'm over the initial shock of the teaser, but this looks ok. Doubt I go to the theater for it, but will definitely rent it.

Kind of shocked we get a full reveal of Elliott already.
Old 07-27-16, 11:11 AM

Re: Pete's Dragon remake (8/12/16, D: Lowery) S: B.D. Howard, R. Redford, K. Urban

Reimagined nearly four decades later, Disney’s in-name-only “Pete’s Dragon” reboot trades the earlier version’s goofy cartoony sensibility for a sort of stylized realism, one in which everything looks a bit too good to be true (including the stunning Weta Digital-animated dragon himself), and yet the story is geared in such a way that we desperately want to believe. The result is one of the year’s most delightful moviegoing surprises, a quality family film that rewards young people’s imaginations and reminds us of a time when the term “Disney movie” meant something: namely, wholesome entertainment that inspired confidence in parents and reinforced solid American values. It’s old-fashioned in all the right ways, from the patient pace at which the story unfolds to the appearance of Robert Redford as its grizzled narrator — the only other person to believe Pete (Oakes Fegley), having once witnessed the Millhaven dragon with his own eyes.
http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews...ke-1201824343/
Old 07-27-16, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: Pete's Dragon remake (8/12/16, D: Lowery) S: B.D. Howard, R. Redford, K. Urban

They actually put out a shorter version of it later, but the only version available on home video has been the long version. I saw it at a theater when it was new but don't remember which version it was, every time I went to a movie I just assumed that it would be LONG.
Old 08-10-16, 12:08 PM

Currently 84% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/petes_dragon_2016/
Old 08-11-16, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
No Thursday night showings around here, but I may catch it sometime tomorrow morning...
Old 08-11-16, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hated the original. Annoyed the fuck out of me as a kid.

Apparently this one seems to not have the same issues I had for the original.
Old 08-11-16, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

The original was one of my brother's favorite movies as a kid.

Needless to say - the whole family is looking forward to see how this one turns out.
Old 08-11-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

This is from the director of Ain't Them Bodies Saints? That's an odd jump
Old 08-12-16, 02:14 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

My review from my Facebook page Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies

Pete’s Dragon (PG) - A magical and heartfelt update we didn’t know we needed

Good (as in quality) family films are always welcome. This year, there’s been the very good (The Jungle Book, Zootopia, Finding Dory), the decent (Pets), and the bad (Ice Age 5? Did we really need another one?) Recently, Netflix added The Little Prince, and if you HAVEN’T seen it with your kids, block out a couple of hours, pop some popcorn, and prepare to be amazed.

Disney has been doing a bang-up job this year with entertainment the entire family can enjoy. Their latest, Pete’s Dragon, comes out of left field and hits you right in the heart. Very loosely based on the modest 1977 live action/animated hybrid musical, about all it shares with its predecessor is a lovable dragon and a kid. Beyond that, this new update is absolutely its own movie.

Set in the the Pacific Northwest of the 1970s, Pete’s Dragon opens with a sad, but non-graphic automobile accident that orphans 5-year-old Pete, a smart and inquisitive young boy with the wisdom to understand his predicament. During an encounter with wolves (the movie’s scariest scene), Pete (Oakes Fegley) is rescued by a huge, green, fur-covered dragon. The boy immediately bonds with his protector, a kind, gentle creature with wings who communicates with grunts and sighs. Pete calls his new friend Elliot after the puppy in a book in his possession, and it is apt - Elliot is basically a giant, loyal dog who happens to fly, although his landings leave something to be desired.

Fast-forward six years, and logging activities around Pete and Elliot’s home threaten to uncover the gentle giant and his friend. Soon, Pete is discovered and taken in by a kind forest ranger (Bryce Dallas Howard), her fiance (Wes Bentley), and his 11-year-old daughter (Oona Laurence). An ambitious logger (Karl Urban) has a close encounter with Elliot, and sets out to capture the big, furry fellow.

I should mention that Robert Redford is also in this film, as the forest ranger’s father, whose tale of his own encounter with Elliot many decades before has become the stuff of legend for the small logging town of Millhaven. Of course, no one ever believed him, but his story is absorbed into the local color.

Pete’s Dragon did a smart thing in not trying to recreate the original film (unlike Jungle Book, which did to great effect). Instead, this retelling makes the tale a relatable story of families lost and found, and of friendship, loyalty and trust. There are exciting parts, yes, but this excellent film moves at its own pace, the intensity of the darker scenes is surprisingly mild, and there are a few hanky moments. And kids will definitely want their own furry dragon companions after seeing this.

Pete’s Dragon, again, is another home-run for Disney - an excellent family film, well-told, with an interesting cast and very good visual effects. I can’t find much fault with it - it made me smile, it made me tear up a little, it made me laugh - so I am giving it a high 4.5 out of 5. Keep up the good work, Disney!

For parents - as noted, the darkest/scariest scenes are in the first five minutes, when Pete is orphaned in a car accident, then threatened (very, very briefly) by wolves. Pete and a girl fall through tree branches and get some scrapes and bumps. When the loggers first encounter Elliot, the action is more humorous than scary. Later, Elliot is shot with tranquilizers when he is captured. Elliot loses his temper in one scene at a bridge and causes some damage, but rescues those threatened by the results of the damage. Elliot NEVER directly threatens anyone. There is NO bad language at all, not even PG words, and not a hint of anything inappropriate.
Old 08-13-16, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Saw it. Very well made movie. Even though it was a studio flick, it kind of had an indie style about it. Liked the folksy soundtrack. Hope Disney stays on track with these efforts.
Old 08-13-16, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good movie. The whole family enjoyed it. My eyes may have got watery a couple times. Don't judge me!
Old 08-14-16, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took he family today, kids 10 and 6 and we all enjoyed it. Very good family flick. We all got a bit teary as well
Old 08-14-16, 09:12 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Wife and I took this in this afternoon and we both enjoyed it. She's a big fan of the original (I liked it as well, but it has not aged very well at all for me). I'm glad it was a re-imagining rather than a straight up remake. Thought they captured the spirit of cartoon Elliot without making him goofy looking.

So, Disney is 2 for 2 with their live action remakes.
Old 08-14-16, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Wife and I took this in this afternoon and we both enjoyed it. She's a big fan of the original (I liked it as well, but it has not aged very well at all for me). I'm glad it was a re-imagining rather than a straight up remake. Thought they captured the spirit of cartoon Elliot without making him goofy looking.

So, Disney is 2 for 2 with their live action remakes.
Cinderella counts as well I believe (Maleficent is a toss up)
Old 08-15-16, 07:52 AM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Cinderella counts as well I believe (Maleficent is a toss up)
That's right, we enjoyed Cinderella and Maleficent as well. I agree, though, Maleficent is something else since it's not really Sleeping Beauty per se.
Old 08-15-16, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Hated the original. Annoyed the fuck out of me as a kid.

Apparently this one seems to not have the same issues I had for the original.
What kind of movies were you weened on as a kid? Robocop and Rambo?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.