Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Room (2016) D: Jeremy Saulnier, S: Patrick Stewart, Anton Yelchin, Macon Blair

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Green Room (2016) D: Jeremy Saulnier, S: Patrick Stewart, Anton Yelchin, Macon Blair

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-16, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Green Room (2016) D: Jeremy Saulnier, S: Patrick Stewart, Anton Yelchin, Macon Bl

Originally Posted by TomOpus
You might want to spoiler that since it's a totally different movie.
Oh, I'd never spoilered anything before. Cool.
Old 05-15-16, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Green Room (2016) D: Jeremy Saulnier, S: Patrick Stewart, Anton Yelchin, Macon Bl

A local 2nd run/bargain theater is showing this film. I might have to see it again!
Old 06-29-16, 08:33 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Watched last night. Loved Blue Ruin. And loved this. Just brilliantly made. Brutal as hell, and exruciatingly intense. RIP Anton Yelchin.
Old 06-30-16, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

A movie vlogger I've been following for a few years recently said this might be one of the best movies he's ever seen. To my recollection he's never said that in the hundreds of videos I've seen of his. Couple that with the fact that I didn't know the same filmmaker who made "Blue Ruin" (a movie I loved) also made this, and I'm pretty stoked.
Old 06-30-16, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Really dug this movie. I never saw Blue Ruin but I'm a vocal fan of Saulnier's earlier movie Murder Party.

It bugged me while watching it that I recognized but couldn't place Gabe, imdb linked him back to Murder Party (He's also the lead in Blue Ruin, which I'll watch this weekend) which in retrospect makes sense.
Old 06-30-16, 12:10 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Really dug this movie. I never saw Blue Ruin but I'm a vocal fan of Saulnier's earlier movie Murder Party.

I couldn't place Gabe for the longest time before realizing I knew him from Murder Party
You should definitely check out Blue Ruin. Macon Blair (Gabe) is the lead in that.
Old 07-13-16, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

This film was much more intense during my 2nd viewing. Still one of my favorite films released this year.

I've said it before but Macon Blair needs to be in everything.

Last edited by asianxcore; 07-13-16 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-13-16, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Not quite the intense-fest I expected due to the reviews, but that's my fault for seeing too many of this kind Definitely a good little movie

I'll have to give "Blue Ruin" a look.
Old 07-13-16, 06:17 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It was good and suspenseful and had it's violent elements but some of the decision making of both sides seemed a bit hard to believe and there just to make things last

I could think of 50 ways things could have been ended much much earlier
Old 07-18-16, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Now THAT was a movie.

Never heard of Blue Ruin (But saw Muder Party) Anxious to see it now!
Old 07-18-16, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
(He's also the lead in Blue Ruin, which I'll watch this weekend)
Originally Posted by Gunde
I'll have to give "Blue Ruin" a look.
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Never heard of Blue Ruin (But saw Muder Party) Anxious to see it now!
Great to see Green Room leading people back to Blue Ruin. And as good as Macon Blair is in the earlier film, I think the most surprising thing about it was Eve Plumb's turn as the mother of the family Blair finds himself up against. Nasty piece of work, and who knew she was so good with weapons?! I didn't even realize it was her until I saw her name in the closing credits (must've missed them at the beginning?), at which point I had to skip back and watch her scenes again. Weird she didn't seem to capitalize on that role, though.
Old 07-18-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Weird she didn't seem to capitalize on that role, though.
She mainly does painting it seems. She did work in a short film in 2014, filmed the Sisters Poltz in 2015 (2016 release?), did Grease LIVE this year and filmed Monsoon (2017 release?).
Old 01-13-17, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Bump since this is making a number of top ten lists ... And it is currently available on Amazon Prime along with Saulnier's Blue Ruin.

Like The Witch, I thought this was a damned good and harrowing tale. Also like The Witch, I am not sold on it being a top ten movie for 2016. But then 2016 was pretty crappy and it is great to see smaller films getting the love.

Well acted, great cast, and directed masterfully. I like Saulnier's dirty honesty with the violence and gore. He doesn't aim to glorify it yet he doesn't pull any punches.

Will check out Blue Ruin!
Old 01-13-17, 06:59 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Thanks for the head's up on Blue Ruin being Primed, added to my queue.
Old 05-04-17, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Entertaining, but not as good as Blue Ruin. Look forward to whatever Jeremy Saulnier does next.

3.5/5
Old 05-04-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Saw this maybe 6 months ago. It was pretty good, but a letdown nonetheless.
Old 05-04-17, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
What helps that feeling is how sudden some of the gore is and calmly it's filmed.

For instance
Spoiler:
the scene where Justin gets cut open with the box cutter after he gets choked out, as well as the scene where the drummer (Reece) gets stabbed after climbing out the open window, were very quiet, 'blink & you'll miss it' moments of gore.
One of the things I liked best about the film was that everything was filmed subtley, not just the gore. It was great seeing little things like the band member who was obviously trained in MMA yet it didn't need to be explained any further than simply showing the audience he had skills. Or seeing Patrick Stewart turn around and flee at the end. No drawn out expositional dialogue explaining things, we just see him turn an walk away.

Also seeing those calm, subtle moments helped give the chaotic moments that much more impact.