Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Creed (Coogler, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Creed (Coogler, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
8.33%
30.56%
36.11%
8.33%
11.11%
0%
2.78%
2.78%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-15, 04:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Creed" (Starring: Michael B. Jordan, Sly Stallone, Tessa Thompson, Phylicia Rashad)

Release Date:
11/25/15

Rating:
PG-13 (for violence, language and some sensuality throughout.)

Running Time:
132m. (2h. 12m.)

Budget:
$35 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
The former World Heavyweight Champion Rocky Balboa serves as a trainer and mentor to Adonis Johnson, the son of his late friend and former rival Apollo Creed.

IMDb Info and Rating:
0.0 (0 votes as of 11/21/15

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:15 Rotten:02 (88% as of 11/21/15)

Metacritic:
76 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 11/21/15)

Trailer:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//v.traileraddict.com/105307" allowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Poster Art:
Old 11-21-15, 04:27 PM

Re: Creed (Coogler, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

gonna try and see this the Friday after tday...
Old 11-21-15, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Can't wait to see this. Early reviews are quite glowing.
Old 11-21-15, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Turning out even better than I expected, so happy to see the positive early reviews... will be checking this out Friday AM!
Old 11-22-15, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

In my head I am going to call this Rocky VII.
Old 11-22-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Can't wait to see it. Wonder who's that in the hospital bed (I'm guessing no need to spoiler that since it's in the trailer for the movie).
Old 11-23-15, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I'll start this by saying I was already a big fan of the Rocky movies, but a few of them were not good, to put it nicely.

I went into this with mild expectations. I knew it wouldn't be terrible because of the director & lead actor choice.

I was blown away. Sly did a great job in his supporting role, and they just pulled this thing off wonderfully.

Initially, I thought this movie was a gimmick or cash grab when I first heard about it. But they did a hell of a job with it.
Old 11-23-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

"Creed is corny like the old Rocky films, but riveting like the old Rocky films, too." - some review from rotten tomatoes.

That's all I need to hear and expect. I'll check it out.
Old 11-23-15, 01:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks like critics are accepting this one with arms wide open.
Old 11-23-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Will try to see this on Friday. Looks great from all the footage I've seen.
Old 11-23-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Can't wait to see it this weekend. Big fan of MBJ and the franchise.
Old 11-23-15, 02:43 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I had a lot of incidents this weekend where I said "are you going to see Creed?" or "I can't wait to see Creed!" and got a WTF WHY? reaction because they thought I was talking about the band.

<iframe src="//www.funnyordie.com/embed/a21dddf852" width="640" height="400" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-24-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: Creed - Rocky spinoff (2015, D: Coogler) S: Sylvester Stallone, Michael B. Jordan

More grown men getting teared up from this movie:

Old 11-24-15, 09:25 PM

This was exceptional. Everything about it was top notch. The call backs were used effectively but not overbearing. The music cues were used in the right way. All the actors were excellent. Everything said about Stallone is true. It felt like authentic Philly again, the streets, the locations, the music venues. To me, this was a much more impressive jump from an indie to franchise than Trevorrow with Jurassic World. Ryan Coogler is going to have a great career.

Also, the 2 round fight done in 1 shot was really impressive. I'm assuming they used tricks to achieve it, but it was still an awesome thing to see. The fights are really well done in this.

Last edited by dex14; 11-25-15 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-24-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I hope this does well, it's an odd and somewhat perfect way to follow up Fruitvale Station for both Jordan and the director.
Old 11-25-15, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

I saw it last night. I am a huge Rocky fan, so needless to say I loved it. Like dex14 said, the callbacks were done at the exact right level. It was still in the Rocky universe, and felt like it, but was able to stand on its own just fine.

In a weird way, it made Rocky V a little more relevant as well, with him saying at one point that he doesn't "do that any more" in regards to training someone. Rocky V isn't a great film by any means, but I have enjoyed it a little more since Rocky Balboa was released, as it no longer served as the final Rocky, which it failed miserably at being.

There were about 25 people in my theater and it was fun hearing people react at the end like it was a real fight! I wasn't around for the first few films but my understanding is people reacted much the same back then. Would've been a blast.

Spoiler:
The only quibble I really have is that if Tony Burton is healthy, he should have been used in the scene at the LA gym. It would have made that scene much more effective, since he was Apollo's trainer and would've made a stronger case for not training Adonis.
Old 11-25-15, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Spoiler:
The only quibble I really have is that if Tony Burton is healthy, he should have been used in the scene at the LA gym. It would have made that scene much more effective, since he was Apollo's trainer and would've made a stronger case for not training Adonis.
In regards to this... not that any of this is really a spoiler but...
Spoiler:
the character that Wood Harris played was Duke's son. So they still tried to link it to him. I would assume they tried to get Tony Burton, but he's pushing 80 and hasn't really done any acting in a while, so he may have just not been up to it. But I think the point of the movie was that Rocky was left without anyone at this stage in his life.

Last edited by dex14; 11-25-15 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-25-15, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
In regards to this... not that any of this is really a spoiler but...
Spoiler:
the character that Wood Harris played was Duke's son. So they still tried to link it to him. I would assume they tried to get Tony Burton, but he's pushing 80 and hasn't really done any acting in a while, so he may have just not been up to it. But I think the point of the movie was that Rocky was left without anyone at this stage in his life.
Yeah, I just figured I would use an abundance of caution. And yeah, I did catch on to their relationship. You're probably right, but I liked the idea of someone else being in all of the Rocky films, since he had been in the others.
Old 11-25-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I saw this last night and thought it was just "okay."

It's a good movie, but it's not as great as the critics are claiming...it's nowhere near as good as ROCKY BALBOA was.

That said, Stallone IS very good in the film...in fact, he's the best part. Every scene he's not in, you're waiting for him to show up again. The movie makes you wish it had more Rocky and less Creed, but we know it's a Creed movie going in.

Although it didn't impact my feelings about the movie (which I gave 3 stars to in the poll), I hated the way Coogler shot the fight sequences. Almost all the footage is close-up, which seems to indicate that he either didn't have the time or the money to properly choreograph the fights. If it was just a stylistic choice, it's one that doesn't work very well. The boxing here isn't as nearly entertaining as it was in any of the prior ROCKY movies, sadly.

Still, the film is worth seeing...although I have no plans to see it again in the theaters. It's kind of a one and done experience, although I'll pick it up when it gets to Blu-ray.
Old 11-25-15, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. Overall, I really liked it. The review saying it was corny like the old ones but also riveting is pretty accurate. Since Coogler is credited with both the screenplay and story, I am guessing most of Stallone's version didn't make it to the final cut. That was kind of obvious as this had some small corny moments, but nothing along the lines of Stallone'srecent writing output. I guess I am in the minority in thinking that the fight scenes were well shot. They definitely had the intensity of the old movies. I also disagree that one kept waiting for Rocky to show up again to make things interesting. I thought he served his purpose well and that it was wise to keep most of the spotlight on Don, since the movie is called "Creed."

I think if this movie does well it's somewhat safe to assume that the sequel
Spoiler:
will find Don in the championship picture again, except this time against the guy who knocked him out at the gym in L.A. I also think that it might be the best approach to start the sequel with Rocky already dead. Stallone could appear in a flashback sequence, but the character served its purpose in this one.
Old 11-25-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't believe Stallone had a version of this. My understanding is Coogler brought the idea to him and eventually, Stallone gave in, as he was satisfied with Rocky Balboa as the conclusion of the saga.

I liked the fights, too. Kind of a mix between the more realistic Balboa and the less real fights in the others.
Old 11-25-15, 03:51 PM

probably seeing this Friday. looking forward to it!
Old 11-25-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
I don't believe Stallone had a version of this. My understanding is Coogler brought the idea to him and eventually, Stallone gave in, as he was satisfied with Rocky Balboa as the conclusion of the saga.
This is correct. The screenplay is all Coogler. He wrote it for his father, pitched it to Sly, who originally said no. So Coogler went off to make Fruitvale Station - Stallone thought that film was great, and gave Coogler the green-light.

I think the problem with future CREED movies (I hear they have not ONE but TWO sequels planned) is that Rocky HAD to fight in most of his films, whether it was for money or for his family or for revenge. Creed doesn't need to fight - he's already rich - he just has daddy issues and a chip on his shoulder. I like the character, but he's not as endearing as Rocky Balboa is.

As for a sequel WITHOUT Rocky? That makes it less interesting to me. The last line/scene of the movie is PERFECT. No need to do more.

I see CREED as a nice epilogue to the ROCKY movies. I hope they're smart enough to end it here, though.
Old 11-25-15, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Couple of questions:

1) Was the hat Rocky had on in Don's end fight the same kind Mickey wore in the first three movies? If so, that's a neat way of bringing things full circle.

2) Did anyone else interpret Rocky's line
Spoiler:
at the top of the steps as meaning he might die soon? The fact that he said "You can see you whole life" kind of hinted at it to me.
Old 11-25-15, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Up to 92% on RT http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/creed_2015/

Even if this movie doesn't open big this holiday weekend, I see it having some legs with word of mouth. I don't think the franchise (thought this is technically a spin-off) has seen these kind of reviews since the first one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.