Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gods of Egypt (2016, Proyas) S: Butler, Coster-Waldau

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gods of Egypt (2016, Proyas) S: Butler, Coster-Waldau

Old 02-26-16, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Gods of Egypt (2016, Proyas) S: Butler, Coster-Waldau

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I saw a free showing of this Wednesday in 3D and thought the 3D was pretty good- no gimmicks but nice to look at. It was at what I consider one of the worst theaters in town and I haven't paid to go there in years, but aside from the picture being a bit dark the 3D was excellent with NO crosstalk or ghosting, which I can't say the same of about my TV, and they actually had a proper 2.35 screen instead of that top-masked or letterboxed crap newer theaters have. Movie itself was OK, the full theater seemed really into it and applauded at the end but most of them bolted for the exits the instant the credits hit the screen, even though they'd been staring at a blank screen for over an hour before the thing started.

With 3D still getting bad press recently, we need as many satisfying 3D movies as possible to get more people into it! There was some marketing person there getting people's thoughts on the movie outside, I told her that the studio shouldn't even HAVE any 2D showings of this and she said "Oh, I can't stand 3D, it hurts my eyes!"

I have both Rise of an Empire and Jupiter Ascending on 3D Blu but haven't watched them yet; saw the trailer for Jupiter in 3D at a theater and thought it looked good, I'm prepared for any potential cheesiness based on comments about it.
Jupiter Ascending is kind of special, it's a mega budget, spectacularly bad movie. But like, memorably so.
Old 02-26-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I saw a free showing of this Wednesday in 3D and thought the 3D was pretty good- no gimmicks but nice to look at. It was at what I consider one of the worst theaters in town and I haven't paid to go there in years, but aside from the picture being a bit dark the 3D was excellent with NO crosstalk or ghosting, which I can't say the same of about my TV, and they actually had a proper 2.35 screen instead of that top-masked or letterboxed crap newer theaters have. Movie itself was OK, the full theater seemed really into it and applauded at the end but most of them bolted for the exits the instant the credits hit the screen, even though they'd been staring at a blank screen for over an hour before the thing started.
Why on earth were you all sitting there for an hour staring at a blank screen?
Old 02-26-16, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
If it was a free showing, it was probably first come, first serve, with overflow turned away. So people tend to arrive early.
Old 02-26-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Private screenings get let in super early and folks have to wait until it starts.
Old 02-28-16, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Private screenings get let in super early and folks have to wait until it starts.
And then they sure can't wait to leave! I've actually debated to going to some of these just because I think it's a waste of time to wait in line for more than an hour even though I'd want to see ALL of the movie, but then people still show up earlier than me and then can't wait to leave.

Another one of these screenings was the absolute worst movie-watching experience I've EVER had- Not even counting a few projection problems including the film going out of frame in the middle, just about EVERYONE in the audience talked through the movie, some even brought screaming kids even though it wasn't a kids' movie, and of course I was the ONLY person who actually stayed til the very end of the movie- wish they'd have left much earlier so I could've actually enjoyed it more. The studio asked for email comments about the movie that time, so I just shared my thoughts about the experience since it was so memorably bad.
Old 02-28-16, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Most people go to early screenings to catch a free movie or see something before everyone else. I don't see what waiting to catch one has to do with sitting through the credits and making a point about it, but I chalk that up to Smithee being Smithee.

at the 3D comment to the marketing person.

Last edited by fumanstan; 02-28-16 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-28-16, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Alex Proyas posted this on his FB:

NOTHING CONFIRMS THE RAMPANT STUPIDITY OF MAN-KIND…
Like reading reviews of my own movies. I usually try to avoid the experience - but this one takes the cake. Often, to my great amusement, a critic will mention my past films in glowing terms, when at the time those same films were savaged, as if to highlight the critic's flawed belief of my descent into mediocrity.

You see, my dear fellow FBookers, I have never gotten great reviews… on any movie I’ve made really, apart from those by reviewers who think for themselves and make up their own opinions. Sadly those type of reviewers are nearly all dead. I guess I have the knack of rubbing reviewers the wrong way - always have. This time of course they have bigger axes to grind - they can rip into my movie while trying to make their mainly pale asses look so politically correct by screaming "white-wash!!!” like the deranged idiots they all are. They fail to understand, or chose to pretend to not understand what this movie is, so as to serve some bizarre consensus of opinion which has nothing to do with the movie at all.

That’s ok, this modern age of texting has rendered them less than worthless, so they will probably go the way of the dinosaur or the newspaper shortly - don't movie-goers text their friends with what they thought of a movie? Seems most critics spend their time trying to work out what most people will want to hear. How do you do that? Why these days it is so easy... just surf the net to read other reviews or what bloggers are saying - no matter how misguided an opinion of a movie might be before it actually comes out.

Lock a critic in a room with a movie no one has even seen and they will not know what to make of it. Because contrary to what a critic should probably be they have no personal taste or opinion, because they are basing their views on the status quo. None of them are brave enough to say “well I like it” if it goes against consensus. Therefore they are less than worthless. Now that anyone can post their opinion about anything from a movie to a pair of shoes to a hamburger, what value do they have - nothing.

Roger Ebert wasn’t bad. He was a true film lover at least, a failed film-maker, which gave him a great deal of insight. His passion for film was contagious and he shared this with his fans. He loved films and his contribution to cinema as a result was positive. Now we have a pack of diseased vultures pecking at the bones of a dying carcass. Trying to peck to the rhythm of the consensus. I applaud any film-goer who values their own opinion enough to not base it on what the pack-mentality say is good or bad.
Old 02-28-16, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Salty!
Old 02-28-16, 11:58 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Indeed. Curse the heavens boy.
Old 02-28-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sore loser but he isn't wrong about modern critic hive mentality
Old 02-28-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Why So Blu - I wasn't expecting much but had a lot of fun with this one - the effects weren't too bad and there is a lot of cool designs and creativity thrown in. I thought Chadwick Boseman was awesome and even though the plot really devolves by the end (and it felt about 20 minutes too long at least) I thought it took some crazy chances. It was similar to Jupiter Ascending in that it had some great creative ideas mixed with some very stupid ones, a few surprising performances and a few casting misfires but a sense of fun and adventure that made up for a lot of it (admittedly I liked this way more than Jupiter).

I'll buy the 3D bluray when it comes out.
Old 02-28-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I agree with Why So Blu - I wasn't expecting much but had a lot of fun with this one - the effects weren't too bad and there is a lot of cool designs and creativity thrown in. I thought Chadwick Boseman was awesome and even though the plot really devolves by the end (and it felt about 20 minutes too long at least) I thought it took some crazy chances. It was similar to Jupiter Ascending in that it had some great creative ideas mixed with some very stupid ones, a few surprising performances and a few casting misfires but a sense of fun and adventure that made up for a lot of it (admittedly I liked this way more than Jupiter).

I'll buy the 3D bluray when it comes out.
Glad you dug it.

I read an interview yesterday with Proyas and he talked about several cuts, including the "assembly" that ran over 3-hours before he brought it down to a cool 2hr 45min (or so) film. Still, he had to trim down even more but mentioned that he would have loved to have had that 2hr 45min cut released. The interviewer asked him about having that cut on BD and Proyas replied that it would be great to do so but lots of the visual FX were not completed and it would be doubtful that the producers/studio would give him the money to finish and reinsert that footage into the film.
Old 02-28-16, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Glad you dug it.

I read an interview yesterday with Proyas and he talked about several cuts, including the "assembly" that ran over 3-hours before he brought it down to a cool 2hr 45min (or so) film. Still, he had to trim down even more but mentioned that he would have loved to have had that 2hr 45min cut released. The interviewer asked him about having that cut on BD and Proyas replied that it would be great to do so but lots of the visual FX were not completed and it would be doubtful that the producers/studio would give him the money to finish and reinsert that footage into the film.
I actually like all of his films. So I'll definitely blind buy this if I can't get to the theater.
Old 02-28-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somehow I don't see this movie becoming some cult hit that everyone will love in 10 years. A 3rd-tier director who has directed a $140M movie that has imploded at the box office is in a bad spot right now.
Old 02-28-16, 05:07 PM

Most people go to early screenings to catch a free movie or see something before everyone else. I don't see what waiting to catch one has to do with sitting through the credits and making a point about it, but I chalk that up to Smithee being Smithee.
It just seems a bigger waste of time to me to sit in a theater for more than an hour waiting for a movie to start, than it does staying 5 minutes in that theater to see the tail end of the movie which might or might not have something interesting in it. Seems like everyone could've just stayed til the end of the movie and THEN had a discussion about it for a half-hour or more afterwards, but most people seem eager to get out of the theater like it was the most horrible place they've ever been and were sent there as punishment. I heard one woman who did stay to the very end say she REALLY liked it though. I've seen a number of advance screenings that the audience seemed to like but ended up being badly-reviewed and/or bombing sales-wise.

I thought the whole white-people-in-Egypt thing was a bit off, but thought there might've been something at the beginning explaining that which I didn't catch. That's why I usually like to see something at least twice before having a definite opinion about it. Whatever the case, it was no Dark City.
Old 02-28-16, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It just seems a bigger waste of time to me to sit in a theater for more than an hour waiting for a movie to start, than it does staying 5 minutes in that theater to see the tail end of the movie which might or might not have something interesting in it. Seems like everyone could've just stayed til the end of the movie and THEN had a discussion about it for a half-hour or more afterwards, but most people seem eager to get out of the theater like it was the most horrible place they've ever been and were sent there as punishment. I heard one woman who did stay to the very end say she REALLY liked it though. I've seen a number of advance screenings that the audience seemed to like but ended up being badly-reviewed and/or bombing sales-wise.

I thought the whole white-people-in-Egypt thing was a bit off, but thought there might've been something at the beginning explaining that which I didn't catch. That's why I usually like to see something at least twice before having a definite opinion about it. Whatever the case, it was no Dark City.

I have an APP called "After Credits." It tells me whether there's during creidts scenes or after credit scenes.
Old 02-28-16, 05:36 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

I try not to give too much credence to professional reviewers, they never seem to care much for the movies that I think are extraordinary, grinding them into the dirt with their smugness. Don't know why they don't seem to like this type of movie, don't really care. Real people seem to be split on this one, currently 49% (3 out of 5 rating) at RT, I suspect I'll like Gods of Egypt just fine. The visuals look mind-blowing, I'm fairly certain I'll be adding this one to my collection even if I haven't seen it first. It just looks like it will be my kind of movie, I'm a sucker for mythical gods.

Last edited by kd5; 02-28-16 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-28-16, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

I plan on seeing this, only because of Alex Proyas. I'll give any movie of his a shot. The trailers didn't make me otherwise want to see it.
Old 02-28-16, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It just seems a bigger waste of time to me to sit in a theater for more than an hour waiting for a movie to start, than it does staying 5 minutes in that theater to see the tail end of the movie which might or might not have something interesting in it. Seems like everyone could've just stayed til the end of the movie and THEN had a discussion about it for a half-hour or more afterwards, but most people seem eager to get out of the theater like it was the most horrible place they've ever been and were sent there as punishment.
Waiting for an hour is a necessary "waste of time" to see the screening (or opening weekend of a blockbuster movie), opposed to waiting through credits for nothing or something fairly inconsequential. And like Why So Blu mentioned, there are ways to know if there's an end credits scene or not. The two don't really go hand in hand.
Old 02-28-16, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. I'm out once the credits are going unless there's something of value to the film.

Credits are credits. I don't need to see who the fuck did what. I saw what they did. That's fine enough for me. Not like I'm asking them to not be there. I understand why credits exits. But.. it doesn't matter for the most part unless something is going on in them, Deadpool for example had some fun w/ it.

I don't need to know that the making of the film was a collaboration between this studio and an australian work force that blah blah blah.
Old 02-28-16, 06:39 PM

I have an APP called "After Credits." It tells me whether there's during creidts scenes or after credit scenes.
That's the same as a spoiler to me.

I don't need to know that the making of the film was a collaboration between this studio and an australian work force that blah blah blah.
That's actually one of the main things I look for in end credits- I like to know where something was actually shot- Gods of Egypt was shot mainly at Fox Studios in Sydney, where The Matrix and Dark City were also shot. Parts were also shot in Canada, but none in Egypt. Yes, you can look that up online but isn't THAT also a waste of time? I also like to listen to the music score or whatever song they decide to put there- I had the score to this playing in my head on the way home, though I've forgotten it now.

Point is, when watching a movie, leaving it should be the LAST thing on the audience's mind- unless the movie really sucks or they never really wanted to see it in the first place.

Waiting for an hour is a necessary "waste of time" to see the screening (or opening weekend of a blockbuster movie)
But you could easily wait a week or so and not have to wait that long- in the end, you save much more idle time than you do skipping what IS part of the movie. In fact I've noticed at regular screenings people hardly ever show up early anymore- many of them even purposely go in after the starting time so they don't have to see the stupid pre-show ads (which are NOT part of the movie and don't belong on a theater screen.) But once you're in, stop worrying about time and just enjoy the movie, unless the presentation sucks or there's idiots in the audience ruining it.
Old 02-28-16, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But you could easily wait a week or so and not have to wait that long- in the end, you save much more idle time than you do skipping what IS part of the movie. In fact I've noticed at regular screenings people hardly ever show up early anymore- many of them even purposely go in after the starting time so they don't have to see the stupid pre-show ads (which are NOT part of the movie and don't belong on a theater screen.) But once you're in, stop worrying about time and just enjoy the movie, unless the presentation sucks or there's idiots in the audience ruining it.
This isn't really that hard to comprehend. Generally people leave the theater when the credits hit because to them the movie is essentially over and reading the credits typically offers little to no entertainment value. It's not really about attempting to save or value time, it's just leaving because there's nothing left of interest to see and it has no relation to the time spent waiting in line prior to the movie. That's a necessity for people who are excited to see a movie as soon as possible because of anticipation, hype, and discussion.
Old 02-28-16, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's the same as a spoiler to me.

That's actually one of the main things I look for in end credits- I like to know where something was actually shot- Gods of Egypt was shot mainly at Fox Studios in Sydney, where The Matrix and Dark City were also shot. Parts were also shot in Canada, but none in Egypt. Yes, you can look that up online but isn't THAT also a waste of time? I also like to listen to the music score or whatever song they decide to put there- I had the score to this playing in my head on the way home, though I've forgotten it now.

Point is, when watching a movie, leaving it should be the LAST thing on the audience's mind- unless the movie really sucks or they never really wanted to see it in the first place.

How is it a spoiler?
Old 02-28-16, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

because it's supposed to be a surprise!

Though truth be told, unless I'm watching something like Wild Things, I'm leaving the theater shortly after the credits start rolling.
Old 02-29-16, 02:55 AM

Big Hero 6 photo 10670219_348808801958003_8490411544541857050_n.png

I'm just gonna use that picture from now on.

I'd heard Wild Things had an after-credits scene (it was one of the few movies my theater never played) but it's actually a bunch of flashbacks showing details that were left out of the main movie interspersed throughout them- anyone who walked out during that has a REALLY short attention span. I'll bet some people watched the end of that from the aisles thinking "uh, are we supposed to leave yet?"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.