Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018, D: Alvarez) S: Foy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018, D: Alvarez) S: Foy

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-17, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
re: The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018, D: Alvarez) S: Foy

Originally Posted by dex14

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
On one hand I applaud any director who takes the time to properly cast a movie with the right actors. On the other hand, it's a sequel numbnuts.
Old 05-15-17, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...rs-web-1003942

Claire Foy from the Netflix series The Crown is in talks to be the lead replacing Rooney Mara.
Old 05-15-17, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I don't think he understands what he's saying. If you have a good cast it makes your job as a director 50% easier.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
You know, back when The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo came out I would have thought a trilogy directed by Fincher would have been awesome but I also wouldn't have wanted Fincher to be bogged down with those movies and not be able to focus on other projects. Now 6 years later I look at Fincher's filmography since then and see nothing worthwhile and I wish he had made the trilogy back then.
I'll take Gone Girl over any Dragon Tattoo movie.
Old 05-15-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I don't think he understands what he's saying. If you have a good cast it makes your job as a director 50% easier.
That's his point tho, instead of just taking the leads from Fincher's movie, he's making his own decisions about who he wants for his version of Lisbeth.
Old 05-15-17, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
That's his point tho, instead of just taking the leads from Fincher's movie, he's making his own decisions about who he wants for his version of Lisbeth.
The way he phrased it sounds like half of the director's job is casting the film. The Casting Director and the Producer also play a role in that.
Old 05-15-17, 09:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I really liked the first with Mara and Craig. I don't know about this one. I didn't think Evil Dead reboot was all that hot, but Don't Breathe was pretty cool...
Old 05-16-17, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
On one hand I applaud any director who takes the time to properly cast a movie with the right actors. On the other hand, it's a sequel numbnuts.
I hate Hollywood BS-talk, but it's a lot better than saying something like, "Yeah, it sucks that we won't have Mara Rooney's awesome portrayal of Lisbeth Salander again but Mara wanted too much money. "

It's part of his job as well to instill the movie-going public with confidence in this new film.
Old 05-19-17, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I hate Hollywood BS-talk, but it's a lot better than saying something like, "Yeah, it sucks that we won't have Mara Rooney's awesome portrayal of Lisbeth Salander again but Mara wanted too much money. "

It's part of his job as well to instill the movie-going public with confidence in this new film.
Except Mara was all on board for YEARS wanting to do this. Doubt it was a money issue. So pissed that the people who made the movie interesting in the US (the foreign film is damn good as well) isn't doing it and we get the book that isn't even done by the author of the series. Might as well just not do it.
Old 05-19-17, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Except Mara was all on board for YEARS wanting to do this. Doubt it was a money issue. So pissed that the people who made the movie interesting in the US (the foreign film is damn good as well) isn't doing it and we get the book that isn't even done by the author of the series. Might as well just not do it.
Hmmm...so what do you think the reason is? I mean, Mara Rooney made that film, it was critically acclaimed, and apparently she wanted to to make the sequel.

Supposedly it wasn't the money maker that the studio thought it would be so maybe they're associating that with the cast somehow? Has Rooney been in any hit movies since then? The studio feels they have the rights to a profitable source material on their hands, but their first outing didn't maximize its potential so start from scratch?
Old 05-19-17, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Why do you keep inverting Rooney Mara's name?

I wonder with no Fincher and that I doubt they would get Craig back, it was easier just to start completely fresh.
Old 05-19-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

There can be only one:

There is no way she is expensive. Due a 180 and get her back. You would instantly increase your WW Box Office and create the buzz this needs for US markets.
Old 05-19-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Why do you keep inverting Rooney Mara's name?
Oops! I guess 'cause it kind of sounds like Mickey Rooney to me and I mess it up.
Rooney Mara...

I wonder with no Fincher and that I doubt they would get Craig back, it was easier just to start completely fresh.
Ah, so maybe the things started to unravel and they said screw it.
Old 05-19-17, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Hmmm...so what do you think the reason is? I mean, Mara Rooney made that film, it was critically acclaimed, and apparently she wanted to to make the sequel.

Supposedly it wasn't the money maker that the studio thought it would be so maybe they're associating that with the cast somehow? Has Rooney been in any hit movies since then? The studio feels they have the rights to a profitable source material on their hands, but their first outing didn't maximize its potential so start from scratch?
From what someone said in another thread about foreign box office, they don't get that big of a cut. It did ok in the US, but the money was made overseas if I'm not mistaken. She isn't that expensive when you look at the movies she is doing (she had a part in Her which had a big name cast but budget isn't insane, Carol, and she is doing A Ghost Story). It just seems like the powers that be want to do a reboot. Maybe the others are charging high prices but with this being probably badly casted and not a true book of the series, it seems like a bust.
Old 09-15-17, 12:25 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

It's now official:

‘The Crown’s Claire Foy Set For ‘The Girl In The Spider’s Web’ At Sony
http://deadline.com/2017/09/claire-f...ny-1202170521/

Old 09-15-17, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

I've liked her since Little Dorrit, but I still can't believe they are making this without Rooney Mara.
Old 10-20-17, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018, D: Alvarez) S: Foy

‘Blade Runner’ Breakout Sylvia Hoeks Joins ‘Girl With the Dragon Tattoo’ Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)
By Justin Kroll @krolljvar

After breaking out in “Blade Runner 2049,” Sylvia Hoeks is looking to move on to another franchise revamp.

The Dutch actress is in talks to join Claire Foy in Sony’s “The Girl in the Spider’s Web,” the sequel to “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.”

Foy, who stars in the Netflix series “The Crown,” is on board to play Lisbeth Salander. The new installment of Sony Pictures’ Millennium franchise will commence production in January in Berlin and Stockholm. The film hits theaters on Oct. 19, 2018.

The studio had no comment on the casting.

The movie will be directed by Fede Alvarez, who helmed 2016’s surprise hit “Don’t Breathe” for Sony. Hoeks will play Salander’s evil twin in the pic.

Steven Knight wrote the screenplay for “Girl in the Spider’s Web” with the team of Alvarez and Jay Basu, based on David Lagercrantz’s bestseller. Amy Pascal and Elizabeth Cantillon will join Scott Rudin and Yellow Bird in producing the film.

“The Girl in the Spider’s Web” will be the first in the series to be produced as an English-language movie in its initial adaptation. The previous books in the franchise have been adapted into three Swedish-language films, starring Noomi Rapace. Sony’s “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo,” starring Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig, was a remake of the Swedish movie of the same name.

“The Girl in the Spider’s Web” was published in 2015 and is the first novel in the series not authored by Stieg Larsson, the series’ creator and writer of the first three Millennium books about Salander and journalist Mikael Blomkvist. Larsson died in 2004.

Hoeks is well known in European markets, but her recent turn as the villainous replicant in “Blade Runner 2049” caught the eye of Sony, which partnered with Warner Bros. on the film. The studio also had her on the shortlist for the female lead in “Venom” and, even though the role ended up going to Michelle Williams, Sony was adamant about finding a role for the rising star.

She is repped by ICM Partners, Curtis Brown Group, and Copper en Co.
Old 10-20-17, 07:43 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to watching The Girl in the Spider's Web and hope it is as great as the others!
Old 11-17-17, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

‘Dragon Tattoo’ Sequel Taps ‘The Square’ Star Claes Bang as Villain (EXCLUSIVE)
By Justin Kroll @krolljvar

Claes Bang, who broke out in the critically acclaimed Cannes Palme d’Or winner “The Square,” has landed a role as one of the antagonists in “The Girl in the Spider’s Web,” the sequel to the smash hit “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.”

Claire Foy is set to star as Lisbeth Salander and “Blade Runner 2049’s” Sylvia Hoeks is on board as Salander’s twin sister. The new installment of Sony Pictures’ Millennium franchise will commence production in January in Berlin and Stockholm. The film hits theaters on Oct. 19, 2018.

The movie will be directed by Fede Alvarez, who helmed 2016’s surprise hit “Don’t Breathe” for Sony.

Steven Knight wrote the screenplay for “Girl in the Spider’s Web” with the team of Alvarez and Jay Basu, based on David Lagercrantz’s bestseller. Amy Pascal and Elizabeth Cantillon will join Scott Rudin and Yellow Bird in producing the film.

“The Girl in the Spider’s Web” will be the first in the series to be produced as an English-language movie in its initial adaptation. The previous books in the franchise have been adapted into three Swedish-language films, starring Noomi Rapace. Sony’s “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo,” toplined by Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig, was a remake of the Swedish movie of the same name.

“The Girl in the Spider’s Web” was published in 2015 as the first novel in the franchise not authored by Stieg Larsson, the series’ creator and writer of the first three Millennium books about Salander and journalist Mikael Blomkvist. Larsson died in 2004.

This marks Bang’s first major studio role after receiving strong reviews for the Swedish pic “The Square.” The movie recently earned him a European Film Award best actor nomination. “The Square” is also Sweden’s official foreign-language entry for this year’s Oscars.

He is repped by UTA and Felix, Bloch, Erben, Agentur und Management.
Old 11-17-17, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

And Mara having an acting sister would have worked out great for this movie. Sigh...
Old 11-30-17, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

‘Mindhunter’s’ Cameron Britton Joins ‘Dragon Tattoo’ Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)
By Justin Kroll @krolljvar

After breaking out as the scene-stealing serial killer Edmund Kemper in Netflix’s “Mindhunter,” Cameron Britton is moving the big screen landing a key role in Sony’s “The Girl in the Spider’s Web,” the sequel to “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.”

The pic currently stars Claire Foy as Lisbeth Salander, “Blade Runner 2049’s” Sylvia Hoeks as Salander’s twin sister and “The Square” star Claes Bang as the villain. The new installment of Sony Pictures’ Millennium franchise will commence production in January in Berlin and Stockholm. The film hits theaters on Oct. 19, 2018.

The movie will be directed by Fede Alvarez, who helmed 2016’s surprise hit “Don’t Breathe” for Sony.

Britton will play is a close associate of Lisbeth — a computer expert to whom she reaches out when she needs assistance. Britton can currently be seen on Netflix’s “Mindhunter”. He’s represented by Tom Markley at Metropolitan Talent Agency and Nick Campbell at Velocity Entertainment Partners.
Old 11-30-17, 10:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Good news, that guy stole the show on Mindhunter.
Old 11-30-17, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Hopefully he won't look like Ed Kemper. That could be distracting. But, good for him.
Old 11-30-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Hopefully he won't look like Ed Kemper. That could be distracting. But, good for him.
Considering his appearance in everything else, I don't think that'll be a problem.

Spoiler:

Somebody saw him and thought "He could be scary as hell."

Last edited by RichC2; 11-30-17 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Like Seth Rogen had a child with Fred Savage.
Old 11-30-17, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The book is pretty mediocre. The casting is turning this into an instant pass.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.