Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-16-17, 08:14 PM   #101
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018, D: Alvarez - not Fincher) without Craig, Mara

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post

On one hand I applaud any director who takes the time to properly cast a movie with the right actors. On the other hand, it's a sequel numbnuts.
Old 05-15-17, 01:50 PM   #102
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018, D: Alvarez - not Fincher) without Craig, Mara

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...rs-web-1003942

Claire Foy from the Netflix series The Crown is in talks to be the lead replacing Rooney Mara.
Old 05-15-17, 02:09 PM   #103
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post

I don't think he understands what he's saying. If you have a good cast it makes your job as a director 50% easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
You know, back when The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo came out I would have thought a trilogy directed by Fincher would have been awesome but I also wouldn't have wanted Fincher to be bogged down with those movies and not be able to focus on other projects. Now 6 years later I look at Fincher's filmography since then and see nothing worthwhile and I wish he had made the trilogy back then.
I'll take Gone Girl over any Dragon Tattoo movie.

- Machiavelli
Old 05-15-17, 02:35 PM   #104
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I don't think he understands what he's saying. If you have a good cast it makes your job as a director 50% easier.
That's his point tho, instead of just taking the leads from Fincher's movie, he's making his own decisions about who he wants for his version of Lisbeth.
Old 05-15-17, 03:02 PM   #105
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
That's his point tho, instead of just taking the leads from Fincher's movie, he's making his own decisions about who he wants for his version of Lisbeth.
The way he phrased it sounds like half of the director's job is casting the film. The Casting Director and the Producer also play a role in that.

- Machiavelli
Old 05-15-17, 09:00 PM   #106
Inane Thread Master

I really liked the first with Mara and Craig. I don't know about this one. I didn't think Evil Dead reboot was all that hot, but Don't Breathe was pretty cool...
Old 05-16-17, 10:38 PM   #107
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
On one hand I applaud any director who takes the time to properly cast a movie with the right actors. On the other hand, it's a sequel numbnuts.
I hate Hollywood BS-talk, but it's a lot better than saying something like, "Yeah, it sucks that we won't have Mara Rooney's awesome portrayal of Lisbeth Salander again but Mara wanted too much money. "

It's part of his job as well to instill the movie-going public with confidence in this new film.
Old 05-19-17, 01:49 AM   #108
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
I hate Hollywood BS-talk, but it's a lot better than saying something like, "Yeah, it sucks that we won't have Mara Rooney's awesome portrayal of Lisbeth Salander again but Mara wanted too much money. "

It's part of his job as well to instill the movie-going public with confidence in this new film.
Except Mara was all on board for YEARS wanting to do this. Doubt it was a money issue. So pissed that the people who made the movie interesting in the US (the foreign film is damn good as well) isn't doing it and we get the book that isn't even done by the author of the series. Might as well just not do it.
Old 05-19-17, 03:19 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Except Mara was all on board for YEARS wanting to do this. Doubt it was a money issue. So pissed that the people who made the movie interesting in the US (the foreign film is damn good as well) isn't doing it and we get the book that isn't even done by the author of the series. Might as well just not do it.
Hmmm...so what do you think the reason is? I mean, Mara Rooney made that film, it was critically acclaimed, and apparently she wanted to to make the sequel.

Supposedly it wasn't the money maker that the studio thought it would be so maybe they're associating that with the cast somehow? Has Rooney been in any hit movies since then? The studio feels they have the rights to a profitable source material on their hands, but their first outing didn't maximize its potential so start from scratch?
Old 05-19-17, 08:51 AM   #110
DVD Talk Godfather

Why do you keep inverting Rooney Mara's name?

I wonder with no Fincher and that I doubt they would get Craig back, it was easier just to start completely fresh.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-19-17, 09:09 AM   #111
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There can be only one:

There is no way she is expensive. Due a 180 and get her back. You would instantly increase your WW Box Office and create the buzz this needs for US markets.
Old 05-19-17, 01:19 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Why do you keep inverting Rooney Mara's name?
Oops! I guess 'cause it kind of sounds like Mickey Rooney to me and I mess it up.
Rooney Mara...

Quote:
I wonder with no Fincher and that I doubt they would get Craig back, it was easier just to start completely fresh.
Ah, so maybe the things started to unravel and they said screw it.
Old 05-19-17, 11:58 PM   #113
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
Hmmm...so what do you think the reason is? I mean, Mara Rooney made that film, it was critically acclaimed, and apparently she wanted to to make the sequel.

Supposedly it wasn't the money maker that the studio thought it would be so maybe they're associating that with the cast somehow? Has Rooney been in any hit movies since then? The studio feels they have the rights to a profitable source material on their hands, but their first outing didn't maximize its potential so start from scratch?
From what someone said in another thread about foreign box office, they don't get that big of a cut. It did ok in the US, but the money was made overseas if I'm not mistaken. She isn't that expensive when you look at the movies she is doing (she had a part in Her which had a big name cast but budget isn't insane, Carol, and she is doing A Ghost Story). It just seems like the powers that be want to do a reboot. Maybe the others are charging high prices but with this being probably badly casted and not a true book of the series, it seems like a bust.