Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

‘Terminator’ Sequels On Hold Indefinitely Despite Worldwide Box Office Success

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

‘Terminator’ Sequels On Hold Indefinitely Despite Worldwide Box Office Success

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-15, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: ‘Terminator’ Sequels On Hold Indefinitely Despite Worldwide Box Office Success

Yeah. I love Arnold and think he's doing solid work in some stuff now but this property was pretty drained of imagination pretty much when T3 was starting up. This property never had a heart to push the imagination w/o Jim Cameron. I mean, being the the one to raise bar twice (in many things) in the same franchise is a testament to what this franchise had w/ the JC.
Old 10-04-15, 07:02 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: ‘Terminator’ Sequels On Hold Indefinitely Despite Worldwide Box Office Success

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I watched it twice and I maintain it is easily the biggest piece of shit in the series. The only actor having fun was Arnold; everyone else was either horribly miscast or dry as toast.

This series should have ended with T2.
Nah, Salvation is the only turd in the series.
Old 10-05-15, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Yeah. I love Arnold and think he's doing solid work in some stuff now but this property was pretty drained of imagination pretty much when T3 was starting up. This property never had a heart to push the imagination w/o Jim Cameron. I mean, being the the one to raise bar twice (in many things) in the same franchise is a testament to what this franchise had w/ the JC.
One can say that the Terminator franchise belongs to James Cameron.
Old 10-05-15, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by antspawn
One can say that the Terminator franchise belongs to James Cameron.
David & Megan Ellison own it for another 4 years.
Old 10-05-15, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deepmilk
Nah, Salvation is the only turd in the series.
Anything after T2 is a failure to what the property is. T3 is just a retread of T2 w/ a woman as the villain. It's also got shit humor in it and plot holes galore. Also looks cheap for some reason. T4 has solid action but it's not a good Terminator film, crap script and all that.. So it's an alright action flick, I guess. It also tries to do something different by putting us in a world that was only teased, so that's good in a way. T5 while doing something different again... it just falls flat immediately cuz it's hitting studio genericisms. Not an ounce of pushing the envelope in the any form. Much like the 2 before it. The film is of the most interest when it's in past and then the future war. Unfortunately you've got crap scripting. Also... Jay Courtney taking over for Michael Biehn's T1 role? Wha? That's generic casting as hell.

The problem w/ Terminator w/o James Cameron is that it doesn't have James Cameron. James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is... James Cameron.

That's why Terminator was an amazing franchise. Because of James Cameron.

Cameron pushed the format to do what he did. T3, T4, and T5 are soulless films. They don't push any form of storytelling or push the medium that is film. Without those 3 films NOTHING changes aside from being relieved of crap Terminator films. Even w/ the effects on in some of them they look bad compared to what Cameron did. They're studio films w/o any critical value to them. They don't have imagination for value. They just want their money fast and easy. That's what the brand has done till now.

So much changed w/ T1 and T2. It's impact on the imagination and film is so big that it is ridiculous how strong those 2 films are today.
Old 10-05-15, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I watched it twice and I maintain it is easily the biggest piece of shit in the series. The only actor having fun was Arnold; everyone else was either horribly miscast or dry as toast.
Yeah, I will say the one bright spot in Terminator Genisys is Arnold Schwarzenegger. I think it's his 2nd best performance as a Terminator, behind the original (yep, I think he walked the fine line between acting like a robot and acting like a human better in this than in even T2).

And Arnold was great in the one scene in the movie I liked: Pops Terminator taking on 1984's Terminator (and I think his line "I've been waiting for you" in the scene is a great new Arnold quote). It's a shame that his good performance is wasted in this lame-assed movie.
Old 10-05-15, 01:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
About the best that can be said for the non-Cameron movies is that they're better than Alien 3, Resurrection, etc. The only halfway decent thing to come out of the franchise after T2 was The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
T3 may be better than Resurrection, but Alien 3 shits all over all of the post-T2 Terminator films, and all the subsequent Alien films, and Prometheus, and Avatar, and Titanic.

I will give Genisys (just typing that title makes me gag) a viewing when it's available on home video, but I have zero hopes for it. Salvation was so bad though that I can't imagine Genisys is worse.
Old 10-05-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Alien 3 shits all over all of the post-T2 Terminator films, and all the subsequent Alien films, and Prometheus, and Avatar, and Titanic.
Old 10-05-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Anything after T2 is a failure to what the property is. T3 is just a retread of T2 w/ a woman as the villain. It's also got shit humor in it and plot holes galore. Also looks cheap for some reason. T4 has solid action but it's not a good Terminator film, crap script and all that.. So it's an alright action flick, I guess. It also tries to do something different by putting us in a world that was only teased, so that's good in a way. T5 while doing something different again... it just falls flat immediately cuz it's hitting studio genericisms. Not an ounce of pushing the envelope in the any form. Much like the 2 before it. The film is of the most interest when it's in past and then the future war. Unfortunately you've got crap scripting. Also... Jay Courtney taking over for Michael Biehn's T1 role? Wha? That's generic casting as hell.

The problem w/ Terminator w/o James Cameron is that it doesn't have James Cameron. James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is... James Cameron.

That's why Terminator was an amazing franchise. Because of James Cameron.

Cameron pushed the format to do what he did. T3, T4, and T5 are soulless films. They don't push any form of storytelling or push the medium that is film. Without those 3 films NOTHING changes aside from being relieved of crap Terminator films. Even w/ the effects on in some of them they look bad compared to what Cameron did. They're studio films w/o any critical value to them. They don't have imagination for value. They just want their money fast and easy. That's what the brand has done till now.

So much changed w/ T1 and T2. It's impact on the imagination and film is so big that it is ridiculous how strong those 2 films are today.
Generic casting is the bane of T5, IMO. Bale was completely mis-used in the middling plot of T4 and maybe could have saved T5... but probably not.
Old 10-05-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I wish the Sarah Connor Chronicles series had received at least another season, but other than that, the Terminator series needs the final nails hammered into its coffin.
Old 10-05-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Wow the way you put things into perspective..genius.
Old 10-05-15, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
T3 may be better than Resurrection, but Alien 3 shits all over all of the post-T2 Terminator films, and all the subsequent Alien films, and Prometheus, and Avatar, and Titanic.

I will give Genisys (just typing that title makes me gag) a viewing when it's available on home video, but I have zero hopes for it. Salvation was so bad though that I can't imagine Genisys is worse.
Alien: Resurrection is, IMO a better movie than T3. It's massively flawed, but it does have a couple of brilliant scenes in it. For a fourth installment a it Hollywood franchise, it has a few interesting my idiosyncratic things in it.
Old 10-05-15, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Alien: Resurrection is, IMO a better movie than T3.
That's like saying solid shit is better than liquid shit.
Old 10-05-15, 05:50 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Alien: Resurrection is, IMO a better movie than T3. It's massively flawed, but it does have a couple of brilliant scenes in it. For a fourth installment a it Hollywood franchise, it has a few interesting my idiosyncratic things in it.
T3 plays it safe, whereas Resurrection goes all over the place. Resurrection is IMO the more interesting movie, but T3 is the more consistent movie. Neither are very good though, especially compared to the previous films in their franchises. But both look better than all the subsequent films in both of their franchises.
Old 10-05-15, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

IMO, the only thing good in Alien: Resurrection is the "What's Inside Me?" guy.

Decker Shado put clips of him to good use:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1JStNTiB-_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(But as for the rest of the movie, not much there to call "good")
Old 10-05-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
T3 plays it safe, whereas Resurrection goes all over the place. Resurrection is IMO the more interesting movie, but T3 is the more consistent movie. Neither are very good though, especially compared to the previous films in their franchises. But both look better than all the subsequent films in both of their franchises.
That's kind of what I like about Resurrection. It's fairly nuts for a fourth installment Hollywood sequel, directed by a guy who's resume was primarily quirky French art house fantasies now making an action-horror movie. Not much in it works, but it does at least go a little outside the box and have some stuff in it that's kind of unexpected.
Old 10-06-15, 12:17 AM
Banned by request

I just watched Genisys. Shockingly, it was easily the best of the post-T2 Terminator films. I was able to buy into premise of it and the chances of any further sequels being as good or better than this is slim. Let it go out on a high note, even if the note isn't quite as high as T1/T2.
Old 10-07-15, 05:48 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Terminator Genisys / 7 Oct 2015

Terminator Franchise Is 'Re-Adjusting,' Not on Hold, Says Producer

Terminator will be back.

By Matt Porter

Skydance Media Chief Creative Officer Dana Goldberg has discussed the future of the Terminator franchise.

At TheWrap's 6th Annual Media Leadership Conference, Goldberg said that she "wouldn't say on hold, so much as re-adjusting," while talking about the Terminator franchise.

Terminator: Genisys did not do well at the box office, and received average reviews, causing future sequels to be put "on hold."

“We’re ultimately happy with overall worldwide numbers. Do I wish we would have done better domestically? Absolutely,” said Goldberg. Research will be done to find out what audiences liked and disliked.

She added that Terminator would be back, however they “are not going to begin production at the beginning of next year, because again, it would be silly to not have to worry about what audiences have to say.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/...-says-producer
Old 10-07-15, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

As much as I love the franchise I don't think another reboot is the way to go. It might just be time to end it at this point because I don't think rebooting again will make audiences any more interested, especially given that Genisys was essentially rebooting the franchise while incorporating elements of the first two films.
Old 01-20-16, 05:16 PM

‘Terminator 2’ Pulled Off Paramount Schedule
Old 01-20-16, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Terminator pulled for Baywatch. That tells you everything you need to know.
Old 01-20-16, 06:24 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

That link isn't working. Were they really going to make something called Terminator 2? That title is already taken.
Old 01-20-16, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
That link isn't working. Were they really going to make something called Terminator 2? That title is already taken.
Here's a link to another article about it:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...release-857746
Old 01-20-16, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

The only surprise is that it was still on the schedule to begin with. There was some laughs and enjoyable moments in TGen, but it was very apparent that it was going to be the final Arnold Terminator film. I can't imagine them doing anything else with it, until the rights revert back to Cameron in a few yrs.
Old 01-21-16, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
The only surprise is that it was still on the schedule to begin with. There was some laughs and enjoyable moments in TGen, but it was very apparent that it was going to be the final Arnold Terminator film. I can't imagine them doing anything else with it, until the rights revert back to Cameron in a few yrs.
The best thing would be for them to let it rest for a few years and have Cameron make a real T3.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.