Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It's kind of a miracle that Back To The Future hasn't been remade or given a sequel.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

It's kind of a miracle that Back To The Future hasn't been remade or given a sequel.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

When you consider that in the past 15 years, every viable franchise under the sun has been remade, reimagined, rebooted, sequeled and prequeled, it strikes me as remarkable that not only are there no plans for more Back To The Future, but there really isn't any talk of it either.

I mean, is there anything else from the 70's until present day that hasn't been brought back in some form or another? Godfather I guess, but I wouldn't count that as its not really a big popcorn genre piece.

I mean besides some low budget b picture franchises like Death Wish and small potatoe slasher franchises ( and even a lot of them have been brought back) is there a viable franchise that hasn't been brought back in some form?
Old 08-05-15, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: It's kind of a miracle that Back To The Future hasn't been remade or given a sequ

Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale actually recently came out and said that they won't sign off on a remake during their lives. Also as far as a sequel goes they said that they wouldn't do it without Lloyd and Fox. I'm doubting Fox is able to physically meet the demands for a film shoot these days so it probably won't happen.
Old 08-05-15, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Re: It's kind of a miracle that Back To The Future hasn't been remade or given a sequ

Originally Posted by Chadm
I mean besides some low budget b picture franchises like Death Wish and small potatoe slasher franchises ( and even a lot of them have been brought back) is there a viable franchise that hasn't been brought back in some form?
Lethal Weapon
Old 08-05-15, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 981 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale actually recently came out and said that they won't sign off on a remake during their lives. Also as far as a sequel goes they said that they wouldn't do it without Lloyd and Fox. I'm doubting Fox is able to physically meet the demands for a film shoot these days so it probably won't happen.
I was going to say, Gale and Zemeckis must have some level of control over the franchise and if there isn't a sequel/remake, then it's probably at their behest.
The following users liked this post:
movieguru (03-08-21)
Old 08-05-15, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Jaws has not been revisited.
Old 08-05-15, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Jaws has not been revisited.
Not sure if serious. The 19th chapter is coming out this year.
Old 08-05-15, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Not sure if serious. The 19th chapter is coming out this year.
In holographic 3D!
Old 08-05-15, 09:49 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
In holographic 3D!
and the shark still looks fake.
Old 08-05-15, 09:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

There was a sequel of sorts, that had the cooperation of Bob Gale and the voice talents of Fox and Lloyd, in the form of the Telltale video game.
Old 08-05-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Back to the Future remake? Over my dead body, says Robert Zemeckis

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/back...bert-zemeckis/
Old 08-05-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Assuming a sequel of equal quality, with the same creators and actors, I would welcome another one.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to happen (Indiana Jones), so I'm glad Gale and Zemeckis have refused. The three we have are enough.
Old 08-05-15, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
There was a sequel of sorts, that had the cooperation of Bob Gale and the voice talents of Fox and Lloyd, in the form of the Telltale video game.
It's very good too. Same for the Ghostbusters video game that does basically the same thing for that franchise.
Old 08-05-15, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
Michael J. Fox did not actually voice Marty McFly in that video game. Here is a two minute behind the scenes video that shows the voice actor used for Marty's voice:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ka5Ypwub2BA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-05-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Michael J. Fox did not actually voice Marty McFly in that video game. Here is a two minute behind the scenes video that shows the voice actor used for Marty's voice:
He didn't voice young Marty, but he did voice Marty's great-grandfather William McFly and future Marty in Episode 5.
Old 08-05-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I think Michael J. Fox's condition has had a big hand in no remake or sequel happening since the original trilogy. One could easily spin a franchise reboot around an adult Marty's children having to travel back to fix a mistake Marty made in the original movies or something. With Fox out of the picture, it makes a new batch of Back to the Future movies far less appealing.
Old 08-05-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think Michael J. Fox's condition has had a big hand in no remake or sequel happening since the original trilogy. One could easily spin a franchise reboot around an adult Marty's children having to travel back to fix a mistake Marty made in the original movies or something. With Fox out of the picture, it makes a new batch of Back to the Future movies far less appealing.
Depends on the story. Maybe it focuses of Doc's kids, Jules and Verne? It doesn't necessarily have to have Marty to continue the series. Fox can always make a cameo to help tie everything together.
Old 08-05-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

No love for the animated TV series?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_t...re_(TV_series)

It's interesting that Zemeckis has that much control over the series in his contract. I think that's pretty rare, which is partly why we see so many remakes.
Old 08-05-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Thomas F. Wilson has an answer about a BTTF sequel near the end of this song:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WmjYimspW-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-05-15, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Its nice too see that BTTF has stayed a trilogy, and nothing more. I hope it stays that way.
Old 08-05-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That song was great.
Old 08-05-15, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Smokey and the Bandit hasn't been redone yet, although it may be partly because the plot of moving beer wouldn't work today.
Old 08-05-15, 05:48 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Smokey and the Bandit hasn't been redone yet, although it may be partly because the plot of moving beer wouldn't work today.
I'd like to see a remake where they're smuggling weed out of Colorado.
Old 08-05-15, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
There were the Bandit TV movies from the 1994 "Action Pack" syndication package:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Pack_(television)
Old 08-05-15, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

And we are getting yet another Nightmare on Elm Street remake I heard. So glad the people behind Back to the Future have so much power. This doesn't need to be remade at all, though it would be funny to have a remake and say in 2065 or whatever hoverboards will finally be made and the Cubbies win (write it in that Marty going to the future screwed this one up or something lol).
Old 08-06-15, 06:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jacob_b
And we are getting yet another Nightmare on Elm Street remake I heard. So glad the people behind Back to the Future have so much power. This doesn't need to be remade at all, though it would be funny to have a remake and say in 2065 or whatever hoverboards will finally be made and the Cubbies win (write it in that Marty going to the future screwed this one up or something lol).
And they could replace the Jaws 19 joke with an Avengers Phase 19 joke.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.