Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It's kind of a miracle that Back To The Future hasn't been remade or given a sequel.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

It's kind of a miracle that Back To The Future hasn't been remade or given a sequel.

Old 08-06-15, 09:57 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: It's kind of a miracle that Back To The Future hasn't been remade or given a sequ

BTTF is my favorite movie of all time. I will be on suicide watch if they try to remake it. I was almost there with the Karate Kid remake
Old 08-06-15, 11:26 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: It's kind of a miracle that Back To The Future hasn't been remade or given a sequ

As far as remakes go, the Jackie Chan one wasn't terrible. Glad I only watched it on cable a few years back. It pales in to the original, but still decent.

There's talk about The Goonies, but I hope that never happens.

I'd rather see remakes of movies that had a good concept but didn't do so well, i.e. Flight of the Navigator.
Old 08-06-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Doesn't it already have 2 sequels?
Old 08-06-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

Gremlins - I guess there has been talk of a reboot, but nothing yet.
Old 08-06-15, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Gremlins - I guess there has been talk of a reboot, but nothing yet.
Chris Columbus and Steven Spielberg are both working on putting together a reboot, but director Joe Dante is not involved this time.
Old 08-06-15, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
And they could replace the Jaws 19 joke with an Avengers Phase 19 joke.
It would probably have to be a Universal franchise. How about Fast and the Furious with flying cars?
Old 08-06-15, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The portrayal of Doc Brown over three movies was always inconsistent to me. He goes from an eccentric kook (the 1950's Doc that Marty meets the very first time in the first movie) to a guy who's slightly less eccentric, but even more kooky (the Doc Marty knows from the 80's)… who then goes on to become a guy that's almost as straight-laced as a 50's sit-com dad (the 50's Doc that helps Marty go back to the wild west [and who is clearly not the really eccentric 50's Doc that Marty met in the first movie]), and who then goes on to become the rather straight up husband and father at the end of the third movie.

I've always thought that there was more to Doc Brown's backstory than what was presented on screen. What if BttF was really about Doc Brown, but only told from those points where his story interacted with Marty's?

What if Doc Brown was himself really from a further-in-time future, and (before he actually time traveled) while researching his ancestors and the old west, he discovered evidence of his demise in the 1800's? What if Doc's first time traveling alters the timeline and leaves him stranded in the 1950's. What if the BttF trilogy was a result of an attempt to prevent his own death by an elaborate plan that required Marty''s involvement? Because (maybe) Marty is Doc's direct ancestor?

At the end of BttF 3, Doc gives Marty a bit of advice and (it seems to me) that what he says indicates he knows something about Marty's future. How would he know anything about Marty's future if he just came from the past?

And just where and when did Doc and his family go?

BttF?

I'd like to know what happened to Doc and his family.
Old 08-06-15, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I don't think the portrayal of Doc varied that much. He changes between 1955 and 1985 a bit but I wouldn't say he changes that much from the first film to the third film.
Old 08-06-15, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

What if... the movies just play out as presented?
Old 08-07-15, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
I've always thought that there was more to Doc Brown's backstory than what was presented on screen.
Bob Gale is co-writing a short-run comic book series coming in October that will "fill in the gaps" of the three movies, starting with how Marty and Doc first met and covering Doc Brown's work on the Manhattan project.

Spoiler:
Old 08-07-15, 10:45 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't think the portrayal of Doc varied that much. He changes between 1955 and 1985 a bit but I wouldn't say he changes that much from the first film to the third film.
This.

The Doc from the 80s wasn't really the same Doc anymore by the end of the first movie. He'd been time traveling a while now.

As for what is going to happen to Marty, I'm pretty sure he became the rock star he always dreamed of being.

What bothered me more was that Marty's hair was a little longer in the sequels. A minor quibble, because everyone else looked the same from the first movie, except for the actors/actresses replaced like Crispin Glover and Marty's girlfriend.
Old 03-02-21, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: It's kind of a miracle that Back To The Future hasn't been remade or given a sequel.

I know it's Blasphemous for a 4th BTTF but i actually like this youtubers story idea.
Old 03-02-21, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: It's kind of a miracle that Back To The Future hasn't been remade or given a sequel.

Eh, it has some cool ideas, but an evil time remnant Doc Brown sounds too close to Savitar from The Flash.
Old 03-03-21, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw that. Honestly I’m so glad the Back to the Future Trilogy has remained untouched. No needless sequels or reboots/remakes. It’s honestly the closest thing to being the perfect film trilogy I can think of. Just three very solid films.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

And there's been no George Lucas-ing of them either: no director's/producer's/extended cuts of any of the three movies. Not even The Godfather movies can't say that. (And frankly, I think the BTTF movies are better than the GF movies, but that's me)
Old 03-03-21, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

Having finally seen BTTF II and III on Netflix in the past year or so I can agree that it is pretty neat that no one has tried to remake/reboot these films. All three are charming films with some incredible casting and are just as watchable now as they were when they were first released.
Old 03-03-21, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

It's a very 80s film, and it would just make me feel old to have them go back to the 80s (or the 90s) as the "past."

Old 03-03-21, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
It's a very 80s film, and it would just make me feel old to have them go back to the 80s (or the 90s) as the "past."
I suppose some very creative person could find a way to tell the story well with Marty starting out in modern times, but I think one of the things that makes the first movie so perfect is that it has him going back when his parents were young IN THE 1950s.

The cliched innocence of the Fifties as a simpler time contributes so much to what makes the story work.
Old 03-03-21, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To me the film doesn’t really feel that dated. It’s an 80s movie for sure, but it’s got a timeless quality to it. It’s not a movie that’s so set in it’s era that it’s painful to watch.
Old 03-03-21, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

The original Back to the Future, maybe. But the "future parts" in the sequels are definitely a dated idealized future society.

I dunno, maybe my kids are just way too young for it but they certainly weren't as interested in the films as I thought they might be. That's not to say that we need a remake or anything, though.
Old 03-03-21, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can see the 2015 parts as being dated I guess. In fairness though it’s science fiction and a crazy guess at a possible future. I think everything else holds up fairly well since all the other eras visited are established time periods.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

To me the film doesn’t really feel that dated. It’s an 80s movie for sure, but it’s got a timeless quality to it. It’s not a movie that’s so set in it’s era that it’s painful to watch.
I agree. When the DVDs came out in 2000 or whatever, it had probably been ten or so years since I saw the first one, and was struck by how it seemed to have escaped the stamp of the era it was made in, feeling more like a movie that took place in 1985 rather than one made in 1985. It elevated my appreciation for Zemeckis and his crew like the cinematographer Dean Cundy, because I could think of any other movie from 1985 that look like Back To The Future, even though they must have been shot with similar lens/film stock ect.
Old 03-03-21, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

That's because precious little is set in the 80s. The setup of the first film is the biggest chunk and the closing minutes. In BTTF2 it's the closing 5 minutes from the first movie redone and closing minutes with Flea in the truck and Jennifer on a porch swing. BTTF3 starts in 1955 and just the closing bit with the train takes place in '85.

So between all three films, 45 minutes? And of those minutes, most of the locales are generic enough to not be all that dated(Doc's place, a high school, a mall parking lot, the town square, a truck, a porch swing and a train crossing. Marty's house is probably the only set piece that dates the film. Branching out from the sets, cars are usually a dead giveaway which are few and far between here. Outside of the obvious Delorean, you have a pretty standard looking pickup, a retro VW bus, a Jeep at the beginning and the McFly's wrecked car and then BMW. Clothes and lingo are the last telltale signs. Surprisingly (and thankfully) Zemeckis stayed away from most of the common 80s phrases, which is totally rad. Clothes are unavoidable but even there Zemeckis mostly stayed away from current trends.

So yeah, despite very little of the films taking place in 85, Zemeckis and Gale did a helluva job creating a nearly timeless 1985.
Old 03-04-21, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

I was worried when this thread got bumped. Thankfully, it turned out to be nothing.
Old 03-04-21, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's because precious little is set in the 80s. The setup of the first film is the biggest chunk and the closing minutes. In BTTF2 it's the closing 5 minutes from the first movie redone and closing minutes with Flea in the truck and Jennifer on a porch swing. BTTF3 starts in 1955 and just the closing bit with the train takes place in '85.

So between all three films, 45 minutes? And of those minutes, most of the locales are generic enough to not be all that dated(Doc's place, a high school, a mall parking lot, the town square, a truck, a porch swing and a train crossing. Marty's house is probably the only set piece that dates the film. Branching out from the sets, cars are usually a dead giveaway which are few and far between here. Outside of the obvious Delorean, you have a pretty standard looking pickup, a retro VW bus, a Jeep at the beginning and the McFly's wrecked car and then BMW. Clothes and lingo are the last telltale signs. Surprisingly (and thankfully) Zemeckis stayed away from most of the common 80s phrases, which is totally rad. Clothes are unavoidable but even there Zemeckis mostly stayed away from current trends.

So yeah, despite very little of the films taking place in 85, Zemeckis and Gale did a helluva job creating a nearly timeless 1985.
Overall, I agree, but there are still things that scream 1985.
Spoiler:

Like this guy and that jacket

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.