Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ant-Man (Reed, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Ant-Man (Reed, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
6.76%
22.97%
47.30%
17.57%
4.05%
0%
1.35%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Who?
0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Ant-Man (Reed, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-15, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Re: Ant-Man (Reed, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The scene in the suitcase was definitely Wright.
That scene had the cheesiest joke in the whole movie.

Spoiler:
That Siri bit with the music was so stupid.
Old 07-18-15, 02:11 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw it yesterday morning. I liked it a lot.

Not so much for the writing but more for the actors, who lifted some of the material's the mediocre nature. This is probably the one Marvel film where it had a weak enough script to where the actors really lifted it up to being a mostly steady quality. I damn near teared up when we had that flashback to the old duo working together. I just have always loved those two in the comics and seeing her w/ him on screen if just by a small fucking moment made me so so happy.

I HATED Yellowjacket. Jesus. Probably the worst villain Marvel has had. He was so goddamn mediocre. Maybe Malekith was worse. I dunno. Jesus... he was just so so weak in terms of who he was. Marvel really really really need to fix their baddies. I don't think they care enough to write them well enough w/ how hard they work on making their heroes awesome. Loki is the best one but if you break him down to dialogue he's not all that great either. I think Hiddleston really lifted the material they have for that character cuz they're mostly all written poorly. Some actors can't lift the weak material and some can. Marvel has GREAT villains but somehow the adaptation process sometimes loses them when put to the page. And some actors rock the hell out it adding so much more to it w/ personality and etc but others may not be like that. Goddamn you, Marvel. This film is so much fun but until your villain is kicking ass he's boring the fuck out of me in any scene.

Peña was awesome cuz he's Peña. I just wish he'd get better roles than more stereotypical roles like this. he rocked the stereotype and his dialogue w/ the delivery rocks it but I just wish he'd get meatier roles. The guy is a damn good actor not getting enough love in the industry.

The film had pacing issues. You can tell more so knowing the whole Wright leaving bit. You can tell what was Wright and what wasn't for the most part. Some of the pacing is possible due to scripting or direction. Reed really can't handle some scenes right. The action was fine. The humor was fine for the most part. It's just some scenes come off really bland, visually, that if it wasn't for the actors or the actions in the frame it'd be pretty bad. Wasn't a fan of color timing in some moments. Most of it came off fine cuz there's a lot variety in some colors but sometimes you'd be in a scene and the color timing is very lifeless and dull. They probably could have gone w/ a more natural palette than what they choose cuz some of that lighting didn't work w/ the timing. I do think that Wright could pulled a better film out of this but this one was good too. It just has a mediocre feel in some spots. Feels like a tug of war almost with how good some moments are and then you're in a not so top notch moment. If the spectacle wasn't there on screen it was iffy if you'd get a good moment or not. Reed did fine in the spectacle it was more how either fractured writing or maybe his direction were not as steady as the rest of the film. Reed, as a director, isn't all that good where he should be. It's the actors working it and not him. He's a weak one in more intimate moments where it's all him.

I'm very weird on this one. It's a good film. Thankfully the actors and the humor pull it off so well. The action too. It's just some of it just teeters into mediocre which is weird cuz it mostly rocks. Not mediocre to where you're wildly bored just...pointless things in it that kill pacing. And the Villain. He stops the damn film every time before he's in the suit cuz he's so boring. I really think this is a rare film where not so great writing is lifted up by how good the cast is, except Yellowjacket cuz that character is so crappy before he's being a supervillain that Stoll can't do shit w/ it. There is a lot of little moments that stop these long strings of scenes rocking it and then you're into a pace killer scene.

I loved the action. That was great. Wright or not, you can tell they put a lot of work into making Ant-Man's power work so well. Loved the Stark building moment. The realization moment for it was great for my audience. I was happy too.

Paul Rudd really really really was the Scott Lang we know, at least for me. And I loved that. I LOVE how Marvel is SOOOOOOO good at their heroes but the villains just aren't as compelling for the most part. They're a mixed bag. They really need to work on that.

Seriously... if damn near all that casting wasn't rocking it crazy... we'd have issues on this one. Cuz this film was dominated by how good the actors were. Except Cross before the suit. Cuz Stoll can't save that character for how crappy he was.

Also that de-aging effect on Douglas? FUCKING HELL. It was really fucking good. Didn't look fake at all. Looked like Douglas at that age. Nice scenes w/ younger Pym too.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 07-18-15 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-18-15, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Re: the post-credits tag - I'm surprised they've already jumped to finding Winter Soldier and having him with them, which I guess means that they'll be hitting the ground running for Civil War.
Old 07-18-15, 09:04 AM
Banned

Yeah. I was kind of sad seeing that but I'll survive.
Old 07-18-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Up to 80% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 07-18-15, 09:32 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

The opening scene with a de-aged Douglas was unbelievable. Leaps and bounds from where we were 10 years ago doing it on Stewart and McKellan and 5 years ago in Tron. It was better than Terminator too. Looked amazing.
Old 07-18-15, 09:47 AM
Banned

it was.
Old 07-18-15, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The opening scene with a de-aged Douglas was unbelievable. Leaps and bounds from where we were 10 years ago doing it on Stewart and McKellan and 5 years ago in Tron. It was better than Terminator too. Looked amazing.
Better than Benjamin Button?

You may or may not be surprised by this, but I know some guys in effects departments that have to go in and "de-age" a lot of big stars in their movies. They obviously sign non-disclosure agreements because it's about making the stars look good rather than about he story like here or in B.Button, but it's a pretty big part of post-production in a lot of major movies these days; removing age-lines, wrinkles, etc. The tech has actually come pretty far since even Benjamin Button - what they did with Douglas was just an extension of that.
Old 07-18-15, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Re: the post-credits tag - I'm surprised they've already jumped to finding Winter Soldier and having him with them, which I guess means that they'll be hitting the ground running for Civil War.
Question about that scene:

Spoiler:

I can't remember if it was Falcon or Cap, but did someone say something about going against the "accords"? I haven't read any spoiler stuff for Civil War but I thought that was an interesting little nugget to drop. Unless I completely misheard it.
Old 07-18-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Draven

Spoiler:

I thought Ant-Man and Yellowjacket fighting it out to The Cure's Plainsong was inspired brilliance, but what do I know? And the joke makes sense since its the first song on Disintegration. If the film had more moments like that, it could've trumped Guardians of the Galaxy as being the best MCU film ...

... but you know, Wright had to be a bitch and not tie the film to the MCU despite the fact McKay/Rudd found a way for it to work and still fit the tone of the film.

I also don't get the hate for Darren Cross/Yellowjacket. I get that the villains in the MCU have been one-note and unmemorable (with the exception of Loki), but this film is apart of a franchise where we've had great actors bring some of their worst performances of their career and Christopher Eccleston as an elf. Stoll elevated the role despite the debatable script.
Old 07-18-15, 01:22 PM
Banned

....Cross was a pace killer before he put on the suit. He just was too hammy of a villain. Not the good kind of ham either. I'm obsessed w/ my mentor's stuff. I've taken over the company. I'm selling the invention that I made by utilizing my mentor's stuff. Ok, I'm going to kill this guy's daughter now.

He was pretty generic. Like he was a lot of major tropes of a baddie. And Stoll couldn't save it.

Also Stane was pretty damn awesome until his last 4 or 5 minutes. Winter Soldier was a great villain too, albeit his character was mostly presence over dialogue but he was cool. I'll also argue that Loki is a mediocre villain elevated wildly by Hiddleston's performance. Most of the villains have had issue in being great on the page.
Old 07-18-15, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Ant-Man was a huge pile of EHH. There were some super cool and imaginative action sequences, but everything else kind of felt really flat. Poorly structured, weirdly edited, and featuring a strangely uninteresting Paul Rudd. Plus all of the "Shoehorn all this Avengers BS" world-building as an afterthought.

3 out of 5 for the comic book action, but the rest was just uninteresting.
Old 07-18-15, 05:10 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I liked it. One of the better MCU movies, in my opinion.

And I absolutely loved that they gave a cameo to
Spoiler:
Garrett Morris
Old 07-18-15, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I took my kids, niece, and dad to see it this morning. Only saw it in 2D. All of us really enjoyed it. Rudd was great. Michael Pena was excellent, and stole every scene he was in.
Old 07-18-15, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Only 2 showings per day in non 3D non Imax. I hope that's not where the big budget market is headed since I just want to watch the movie with none of the fluff.

I really liked it and don't really get the hate for Yellow jacket. Of course as a comic book fan I wanted Yellow Jacket to be Hank Pym but I also wanted Ant man to be Hank Pym and that's just too much to do for one movie. I thought he looked cool and he was a worthy advisory for our hero.

Marvel does it again and makes a completely different kind of movie. This one a comedy heist movie. And I like that it tied into the MCU as a whole with Falcon and the Avengers references.
Old 07-18-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really enjoyed this .. loved the Avenges references (including the reference to one who "climbs walls")

Of all the parts that my son talked about - it was the
Spoiler:
pet ant
that he's mentioned the most.

Michael Douglas was perfect for this .. Marvel has done well with their casting. And Lilly is hot, so I look forward to more of her in the future films.

While the toy train sequence was spoiled in the trailers, I was glad that the
Spoiler:
Falcon and model building diorama
sequences were not.

Definitely among my favorite Marvel films so far.
Old 07-18-15, 07:14 PM
Banned

The diorama was in the trailers/spots. Falcon was in TV spots only, I think... I can't remember.
Old 07-18-15, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoyed this one a lot, as well. Not a masterpiece, but Marvel is really doing a great job with keeping a consistent level of quality. And as mentioned, the movies don't feel cookie-cutter---each character is treated a little differently on-screen. Some superb sci-fi/action scenes make up for a fairly pedestrian villain and storyline.
Old 07-18-15, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
It was confirmed that the final post credits scene was lifted from Civil War. I suspected that it was due the fact that that scene was in a different aspect ratio than the movie.
Old 07-18-15, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

So why was there a cameo appearance by SNL alum Garrett Morris? What was the significance?

Because he was the very first person to portray Ant-Man onscreen!

The Secret Third Ant-Man

Yes, we know about Hank Pym and Scott Lang both serving as Ant-Man in the film. But there's another Ant-Man who makes an appearance. Garrett Morris, who was technically the first screen Ant-Man, having played the laughingstock superhero in the classic "Superhero Party" sketch from Saturday Night Live, makes a quick cameo as a cab driver. Director Peyton Reed says he sought out Morris as a nod to his SNL bit.
<iframe width='640' height='360' scrolling='no' frameborder='0' src='https://screen.yahoo.com/superhero-party-000000500.html?format=embed' allowfullscreen='true' mozallowfullscreen='true' webkitallowfullscreen='true' allowtransparency='true'></iframe>

Very cool
Old 07-18-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Let's talk about Ant-Man. An itty-bitty movie by Marvel standards that wears a big old heart on its sleeve. A story of redemption, and family reconciliation, this is by far the funniest Marvel movie to come along. At one point, the audience was in almost constant roars of laughter. There are so many laugh out loud moments, that I lost count. Avenger talk? You bet, and even more. The promise of things to come? Oh buddy, yes, and exciting possibilities that I did not even suspect are in the pipeline. And who knew that Marvel would make a superhero movie where the good guys are ex-cons? It was a lot of fun to watch and experience. And I can honestly say that I am glad I paid for the 3-D and IMAX experience. It really enhanced the shrinking scenes in the movie. I wholeheartedly recommend Ant-Man for good, solid, worthwhile entertainment. Three out of four stars from me.
Old 07-18-15, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Absolutely loved this film. Such a testament to how great the MCU is that the films come out consistently great and while they have similarities don't all feel the same. The universe just feels so real and organic that its easy to buy into any of the characters that are presented no matter how out there or random. Just fucking great.

As has been said by others the cast is especially strong and elevate the film even more. Rudd was entertaining as Lang/Ant-Man and Douglas made a great Hank Pym. I didn't really mind Cross/Yellowjacket either. Sure he was kind of generic but I felt the character got the job done well enough. Overall a very fun film to watch and I can see this one getting even better on repeat viewings.
Old 07-19-15, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by N2DVD
And I can honestly say that I am glad I paid for the 3-D and IMAX experience. It really enhanced the shrinking scenes in the movie. I wholeheartedly recommend Ant-Man for good, solid, worthwhile entertainment. Three out of four stars from me.
Absolutely was blown away by the effect the first time Rudd shrank down. The 3D there added some extremely nice depth to showcase the size, imo.
Old 07-19-15, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
It was confirmed that the final post credits scene was lifted from Civil War. I suspected that it was due the fact that that scene was in a different aspect ratio than the movie.
With the exception of Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, The Avengers, and Guardians of the Galaxy; the rest of the MCU stingers were shot during the production of the next film by their respective directors.

Also, the "stinger" (or technically teaser) for The Avengers in the first Captain America was window-boxed due to the differences in aspect ratio.
Old 07-19-15, 12:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven

Spoiler:

No it wasn't. It was one of the best throwaway bits in the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.