Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
re: The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

I know more people than not like Affleck as Bats, but i'm not one of them. I have never cared for him in anything, so to me, it would be a welcome change. We have already had five actors portray Bat-man on the big screen, so recasting the part with another actor wouldn't be the end of the world to me.
What do you mean it wouldn't be a big deal. These movies will be DOOMED! Doomed! If Mike86 says so(and lets be honest he has been the biggest supporter of these movies by far and has never said the same thing ever since they began) then it must be true.
Old 07-22-17, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
What do you mean it wouldn't be a big deal. These movies will be DOOMED! Doomed! If Mike86 says so(and lets be honest he has been the biggest supporter of these movies by far and has never said the same thing ever since they began) then it must be true.
Huh? Why am I getting called out on this exactly? I'm not even the one who originally posted the article. I commented in here about the article. If it's true which it may not be now that Affleck is refuting it I don't see how it wouldn't be a major deal. Again this is the defining DC character to most people being played by an A list star. If he were to drop out it'd be a major thing. For the record I never said he couldn't be replaced either, I just think having to do that after only two films with one actor in what's supposed to be a connected universe would look bad. It's completely different in my opinion recasting the character for stand alone films as opposed to something like the DCEU. When making a connected universe I would think it'd make sense to think long term about who's being cast and that the studio would want to keep whoever is signed for the long haul. Not just Affleck will be our Batman for a couple films then then if he doesn't work we'll recast. Again imagine if RDJ or Chris Evans dropped out after The Avengers. Those franchises could have still worked but that would have been a major shakeup.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-22-17 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-22-17, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nnREl3UKG0Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ben denying he's bailing on Batman from today's panel.
Old 07-22-17, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Huh? Why am I getting called out on this exactly? I'm not even the one who originally posted the article. I commented in here about the article. If it's true which it may not be now that Affleck is refuting it I don't see how it wouldn't be a major deal. Again this is the defining DC character to most people being played by an A list star. If he were to drop out it'd be a major thing. For the record I never said he couldn't be replaced either, I just think having to do that after only two films with one actor in what's supposed to be a connected universe would look bad. It's completely different in my opinion recasting the character for stand alone films as opposed to something like the DCEU. When making a connected universe I would think it'd make sense to think long term about who's being cast and that the studio would want to keep whoever is signed for the long haul. Not just Affleck will be our Batman for a couple films then then if he doesn't work we'll recast. Again imagine if RDJ or Chris Evans dropped out after The Avengers. Those franchises could have still worked but that would have been a major shakeup.
Seriously you don't know why your being called out?

"Can we just reboot? Act like Wonder Woman is the first film and after that forget this DCEU. Seriously, what a mess"

"Nah its a mess"

"This is a shit show and it's clear that the DCEU as is should just end in my opinion."

"Im really not even exaggerating that I think this could be a crushing blow"

"Honestly I don't think it is. They're four films in, five by the end of the year. Thing is three are basically duds and I doubt most people could even care less if the versions of the characters established thus far carry on."

Lets address some of these.

1. It sounds totally asinine to scrap this just because Ben Affleck might leave as Batman. The four movies they released have made close to(our more than) $3 billion dollars. Yep your absolutely right. Better reboot and say screw it because obviously this isn't working.

2. The Marvel movies have already recast characters and had characters not be seen since. Realistically, the only person who is a necessity is Downey because he is the heart and soul. Ben Affleck is not.

3. Batman has been recast before. Affleck hasn't really established the character yet and could be recast. The only recasting that would have hurt Batman would have been losing Bale after TDK.

4. Ultimately we don't know if any of this is true. How about everyone just waits to see. Fan boys were pitching a fit about Wonder Woman for the longest time and it turned out well. So maybe, it's worth it just to wait and see what happens first.
Old 07-22-17, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

:notrolls:
Old 07-22-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099
Lets address some of these.

1. It sounds totally asinine to scrap this just because Ben Affleck might leave as Batman. The four movies they released have made close to(our more than) $3 billion dollars. Yep your absolutely right. Better reboot and say screw it because obviously this isn't working.
Financial success is one thing. Being successful with critics and fans is another. Most people can agree that of four films by DC three aren't very good. Pair that with all the behind the scenes drama that seems to happen with a lot of their films and rebooting doesn't seem like such a bad idea. Making money off these characters isn't really the hard part it's getting people to like your output.

2. The Marvel movies have already recast characters and had characters not be seen since. Realistically, the only person who is a necessity is Downey because he is the heart and soul. Ben Affleck is not.
I disagree about RDJ being the only necessity. By this point a lot of the cast is well liked and would be hard to replace. As far as the replacements they've made (Ruffalo for Norton and Cheadle for Howard) neither was a very big deal because realistically both Banner/Hulk and Rhodes/War Machine are fairly minor characters in the grand scheme of the MCU. Hulk should be a bigger character but really hasn't been used to his full potential.

Batman is a lot different as he's not only DC's most popular character but also very central to the DCEU thus far. Why would WB invest the time and money to cast someone like Affleck if they didn't expect him for the long haul? On top of that most agree that he was one of the better parts of a film that many people didn't enjoy. It's dumb to think that recasting for a role like that wouldn't be a major deal. That's something that should only be done out of absolute necessity not studio incompetence that makes an actor question why they took on a role.

3. Batman has been recast before. Affleck hasn't really established the character yet and could be recast. The only recasting that would have hurt Batman would have been losing Bale after TDK.
Seems like you kind of addressed this point already. Again I never said Batman hasn't been recast but doing so in the DCEU which ideally should be something that lasts for a while and grows into something larger than individual films like when the character was recast earlier is a lot different. Also again Affleck was liked by mostly everyone including the film's detractors.

4. Ultimately we don't know if any of this is true. How about everyone just waits to see. Fan boys were pitching a fit about Wonder Woman for the longest time and it turned out well. So maybe, it's worth it just to wait and see what happens first.
This one I'll give you to a degree. Realistically though I don't feel like the same level of excitement for the DCEU as a whole really exists at this point.
Old 08-23-17, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So why is there a DCEU exactly again? Seriously this is fucking dumb.
‘The Batman’ Won’t Be Part of the DC Extended Universe

Matt Singer
August 23, 2017 3:15 PM

Just yesterday, Deadline published a report that Warner Bros. was developing an origin story movie for the Joker. Included in that piece was the noteworthy comment that this was the first movie “under a new banner that has yet to be named in which WB can expand the canon of DC properties and create unique storylines with different actors playing the iconic characters.” In recent years, everything Warners has done (at least in live-action) with its DC superheroes has been made within the confines of the shared DC Extended Universe. The Joker news suggests a move away from the everything-is-connected approach that has been so popular with comic and toy movies lately.

And now there’s this interview with The Batman director Matt Reeves from KCRW’s The Business [via Batman on Film] in which he echoes that possibility. Reeves recently joined The Batman, which is to be the first solo movie featuring the version of the Dark Knight played by Ben Affleck, after years of development by Affleck himself (who was originally slated to direct the movie). Supposedly, Affleck’s script was tossed out, and the movie was sent back to square one; Reeves’ comments on The Business make it clear he is making his version of Batman and no one else’s — and that his Batman may not be connected to anything else that has come before:
I have a vision for a way to do something with that character that at least feels like it resonates with me personally, and a perspective that can grow outward into other things. When they approached me, what they said was ‘Look, it’s a standalone. This isn’t part of the Extended Universe.’

Reeves also told Kim Masters that he’s “also totally fine not doing Batman” and is only really interested in making a movie (or potentially three movies) about the character if it’s his version and his vision.

The director also noted that he’s “only just beginning” work on The Batman, so a lot could change; the movie could wind up in the DCEU after all, or Reeves could drop out, or someone else could conceivably play Batman. (There’s already been a lot of rumors about that.) What’s important in the here and now, I think, is these two tidbits combined, which suggest that after years of trying to copy Marvel’s formula, Warners and DC might be shifting gears in an interesting way.

Yes, comic books tend to exist in shared universes, where all the characters can meet and interact. But after decades of reboots and revisions, there are, particularly in the DC Comics, a myriad of alternate universes, and alternate versions of every character. Some of my favorite DC books as a kid were Elseworlds stories, typically annuals and mini-series, that were freed from continuity and had a ton more freedom of content to have fun with the characters. After so many Batman movies already, it’s an important question: How do you make this film different from all the others? Applying this anything-goes approach could be one way, and potentially a really exciting way.
http://screencrush.com/the-batman-not-part-of-dceu/
Old 08-23-17, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't you just want a reboot?

Anyway, i'm fine with "standalone" if it just means they're not trying to tie the movie in to the DCEU or lead up to anything bigger. It doesn't necessarily mean it will be completely contradictory to what's happening in the DCEU, and just Batman on his other adventures and not part of some Justice League big picture. Hard to really extrapolate what those comments will actually mean, in my opinion. And as the article and Reeves says, he's just beginning work on it anyway.
Old 08-23-17, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want a reboot yes, but they're going going forward with the DCEU anyways but at the same time doing stuff like this. It's stupid. People wonder why DC gets so much shit it's exactly crap like this. Why would you want to have two concurrently running versions of one of your main characters? That's going to confuse the hell out of your casual fanbase and on top of that instead of putting your focus to one big project it's now divided up. Just boneheaded, ass backward devious all around.
Old 08-23-17, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

"Standalone" hardly means "not part of the same universe". Good Lord
Old 08-23-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's quoted as saying it's not part of the extended universe..
Old 08-23-17, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I want a reboot yes, but they're going going forward with the DCEU anyways but at the same time doing stuff like this. It's stupid. People wonder why DC gets so much shit it's exactly crap like this. Why would you want to have two concurrently running versions of one of your main characters? That's going to confuse the hell out of your casual fanbase and on top of that instead of putting your focus to one big project it's now divided up. Just boneheaded, ass backward devious all around.
We won't know if there will be two concurrently running versions of Batman. Like I just said, we literally don't know what "standalone" will entail here. Your fears could be true, but they also could not. Maybe Reeves does his own thing and future Justice League movies will be the one to reflect those changes, instead of vice versa.

Maybe we get another Batman origin story and get to see the Wayne's murdered again.
Old 08-23-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan

Maybe we get another Batman origin story and get to see the Wayne's murdered again.
I recently watched all the Batman movies with my 8 year old daughter, and I forget what movie we were on, but as we were starting it up, she says to me "Do we have to see Batman's parents die again in this one?"
Old 08-23-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Fucking rudderless mess.
Old 08-23-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
We won't know if there will be two concurrently running versions of Batman. Like I just said, we literally don't know what "standalone" will entail here. Your fears could be true, but they also could not. Maybe Reeves does his own thing and future Justice League movies will be the one to reflect those changes, instead of vice versa.

Even if that is the case it comes across as a clusterfuck though. They're going forward with the DCEU but maybe something else will spinoff from this film. Get it together cripes. It's like they don't know what they want to do but are deadset on making it happen somehow.
Old 08-23-17, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

IDK, I just took it to be like Wonder Woman. Take out those book-ends and that's a stand alone movie as well. Just means you're not going to see or even reference Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, etc. Allows Reeves to do what he wants without shoe-horning some universe building BS. Isn't that what people around here wanted? FFS
Old 08-23-17, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Fucking rudderless mess.
Agreed 100%. No clue how people can still defend this crap. Complain about Marvel all you want but they have a cohesive, well planned vision.
Old 08-23-17, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
IDK, I just took it to be like Wonder Woman. Take out those book-ends and that's a stand alone movie as well. Just means you're not going to see or even reference Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, etc. Allows Reeves to do what he wants without shoe-horning some universe building BS. Isn't that what people around here wanted? FFS
Again though, if that's the case why is there even a DCEU at all? If everything is going to be separate but yet some of it ties in what's the point? It's like randomly picking and choosing this is in, this isn't. It's a mess. I don't see how that can't be viewed as a problem. That's complete sloppy, convoluted story telling/world building. It really shouldn't be this complicated.
Old 08-23-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Agreed 100%. No clue how people can still defend this crap. Complain about Marvel all you want but they have a cohesive, well planned vision.
I think this is two different things though. I definitely think WB/DC's vision sucks and was poorly thought out, and even more apparent as things started to crumble as their movies have been panned critically and with all the directorial changes and lack of cohesiveness.

While Matt Reeves doing his own thing seems like it continues down that train, I also like the idea of separating these movies from the DCEU that isn't quite working and crafting a good story FIRST, and think about greater universe tie ins later.

I want a good movie at the end of the day, not trying to make things fit for the sake of a bigger universe just because Marvel did it.
Old 08-23-17, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Obviously an unpopular opinion, but this having no perceptible connection to Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad actually has me more excited about it.
Old 08-23-17, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Just make good movies. I understand why people want the extended universe, but I'd rather have 1 good standalone than 5 mediocre connected movies. Marvel's 15 movies in at this point, so they might as well play this thing out, but there are limitations to that format. DC just need to make the best movies possible.
Old 08-23-17, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Just make good movies. I understand why people want the extended universe, but I'd rather have 1 good standalone than 5 mediocre connected movies. Marvel's 15 movies in at this point, so they might as well play this thing out, but there are limitations to that format. DC just need to make the best movies possible.
That's fine but then they need to just decide one way or another what they're doing. Don't do this hodge podge of this is DCEU and this isn't. That's just sloppy. Either do everything separately or keep everything together.
Old 08-23-17, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't really mind this, because back in the silver age DC's continuity was a hodge podge. The Atlantis that Aquaman lived in was a different Atlantis than the one Superman's Lori Lemaris was from.

Then when they came together, none of the solo stories really mattered.
Old 08-23-17, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

That's fine but then they need to just decide one way or another what they're doing. Don't do this hodge podge of this is DCEU and this isn't. That's just sloppy. Either do everything separately or keep everything together.
Why? Don't get me wrong, WB comes off like a chicken with it's head cut off, but is it really the end of the world if they do a Batman stand alone movie and follow it up with, I don't know, a Flash movie that's connected to JL? As long as they're good, who cares?

Some people seem to get real uptight at the idea that these things might not all be conceived and released within the next 5 years. Like if the studios don't have it all figured out now, they will have missed their shot and we'll never see another Batman movie again.
Old 08-23-17, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It just irritates me as a fan to see characters I love treated with such incompetence.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.