Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: The Batman (D: Ben Affleck)

Joe Manganiello Will Play Deathstroke in Ben Affleck’s Batman Movie

Batman will face comic book villain Deathstroke, played by “True Blood” star Joe Manganiello, in Ben Affleck’s first solo movie playing the Dark Knight.

Affleck recently shared a video online of Manganiello in his Deathstroke get-up, but didn’t reveal the actor underneath the mask or what role the character would play in upcoming films.

The actor is also known for his role in the “Magic Mike” Movies.

DC Entertainment president and chief creative officer Geoff Johns confirmed the casting in his first interview discussing his new role overseeing Warner Bros.’ movies based on DC Comics characters.

He declined to comment on whether Deathstroke has a cameo in “Justice League,” which is currently shooting in London.
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/...ie/?mod=e2twsy
Old 09-08-16, 12:20 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

So the rumors were true.
Old 09-08-16, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I would hope that they go forward with that live action Teen Titans now which stalled.
Old 09-08-16, 08:12 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really like this casting. One badass looking fucker.
Old 09-08-16, 08:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts

I don't think of him as much of an actor. I guess pretty good to look at, but seems stiff from what little I've seen...
Old 09-08-16, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I don't think of him as much of an actor. I guess pretty good to look at, but seems stiff from what little I've seen...
Not sure if you have to be a thespian to play a mercenary.

Someone brought this up on DC Movie News, but I wonder if Amanda Waller would be the one to hire him to kill Bruce Wayne/Batman.
Old 09-08-16, 08:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Hopefully he'll be as badass as he was in Pee Wee's Big Holiday.
Old 09-08-16, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I still think that Joe M. would have been a good Cable instead of Kyle Chandler or whoever they're getting.
Old 09-08-16, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Not sure if you have to be a thespian to play a mercenary.

Someone brought this up on DC Movie News, but I wonder if Amanda Waller would be the one to hire him to kill Bruce Wayne/Batman.
Yeah, I know, but a villian with some personality like Hiddleston as Loki is cool too...
Old 09-08-16, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I know, but a villian with some personality like Hiddleston as Loki is cool too...
Not the biggest Loki fan myself (outside of his role in Thor 1). Thought he was rather weak in The Avengers, almost Zod-lite (Terence Stamp Zod, that is).
Old 09-08-16, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I would bet Deathstroke is better known to the general public than any of those. Lotsa folks here on dvdtalk may hate Arrow, but that's where Deathstroke was introduced to many people. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if it's revealed that one of the reasons they chose him because of his similarity to Deadpool. (Deathstroke was created first though)
Wrong. I have never heard of Deathstroke until now. Of the others:

Black Mask - Yes
Clayface - Yes
Hugo Strange - Yes
Hush - No
Mad Hatter - Yes
Man-Bat - Yes
Red Hood - Yes

I've never read Batman comics, but I have watched various incarnations on TV. Not sure if that makes me the general public or not.
Old 09-09-16, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I imagine that the exact reason they chose the character is in relation to the success of Deadpool. This is basically DC's version of Batman vs Deadpool now, and i am sure a lot of the audience will feel its DC ripping off Marvel (even though it was the opposite in the comics). I am glad they are putting Batman against a new character. The Joker is all fine and dandy, but with a big rogues gallery its better to introduce ones who have not so far had a chance. This is why i think DC have been wasting a lot of Batmans best villains on their shitty TV shows.
Old 09-09-16, 10:34 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm confused by how many people think DP meant bringing in Slade cuz of DP.

I know that Wade was a cheeky rip of Slade... but I don't think anyone really with a solid logic that think Slade is anything like Wade as a person. Unless I'm WAY behind on how the New 52 changed him and whatever he is now... I don't see enough for me to think that Deathstroke is a DC Deadpool.

They're two very different characters. They have the same job, assortment of weapons, and have names that are alike but they're very two different characters. You'd have to be a dumbfuck to feel that DC is ripping off Fox. Cuz the characters... as characters.. are wildly different even if they share some basic similarities for reasons we know and that a lot of the audience doesn't.

The character has gotten more and more exposure in multiple formats for a while now... before DP even came into production.
Old 09-09-16, 10:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Is J.K. Simmons still playing Commissioner Gordon? If so, that's two former Spider-Man actors in this flick.
Old 09-09-16, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
Is J.K. Simmons still playing Commissioner Gordon? If so, that's two former Spider-Man actors in this flick.
....Yeah, he is...? *raised eyebrow*

Did you hear that was out or what at some point?
Old 09-09-16, 10:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

No, but I haven't been following news too closely for this and actors come and go frequently on these kinds of projects.
Old 09-09-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'm confused by how many people think DP meant bringing in Slade cuz of DP.

I know that Wade was a cheeky rip of Slade... but I don't think anyone really with a solid logic that think Slade is anything like Wade as a person. Unless I'm WAY behind on how the New 52 changed him and whatever he is now... I don't see enough for me to think that Deathstroke is a DC Deadpool.

They're two very different characters. They have the same job, assortment of weapons, and have names that are alike but they're very two different characters. You'd have to be a dumbfuck to feel that DC is ripping off Fox. Cuz the characters... as characters.. are wildly different even if they share some basic similarities for reasons we know and that a lot of the audience doesn't.

The character has gotten more and more exposure in multiple formats for a while now... before DP even came into production.
I think a lot of people realize that the characters are nothing alike, but the general public will just see each of their images and come to the conclusion they are very similar on their own.
Old 09-09-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah I kind of think that Warner/DC may think they can trick people into believing that Deathstroke is a Deadpool like character even though they are different. They're both mercenaries and have sort of a similar look and style when it comes to how they fight. Main difference is that Slade is a more serious character whereas with Wade there's a more comedic element.
Old 09-09-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Wrong. I have never heard of Deathstroke until now. Of the others:

Black Mask - Yes
Clayface - Yes
Hugo Strange - Yes
Hush - No
Mad Hatter - Yes
Man-Bat - Yes
Red Hood - Yes

I've never read Batman comics, but I have watched various incarnations on TV. Not sure if that makes me the general public or not.

I guess I stand corrected. (/sarcasm)
Old 09-09-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I think a lot of people realize that the characters are nothing alike, but the general public will just see each of their images and come to the conclusion they are very similar on their own.
Exactly.
Old 09-09-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah I kind of think that Warner/DC may think they can trick people into believing that Deathstroke is a Deadpool like character even though they are different. They're both mercenaries and have sort of a similar look and style when it comes to how they fight. Main difference is that Slade is a more serious character whereas with Wade there's a more comedic element.
Eh. Who the hell knows?

Deathstroke is more of a Punisher-type character, whereas Deadpool is like a living cartoon who breaks the fourth wall and speaks directly to the audience.

Originally, I think Deadpool was sort of a Deathstroke knock-off when Rob Liefeld created him, and then became the Deadpool he is today when other creators started working on him.

Deathstroke could be a pretty cool movie character if he's presented the way he was in Identity Crisis where he's this calculating badass who can take down the Justice League.
Old 09-09-16, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Not the biggest Loki fan myself (outside of his role in Thor 1). Thought he was rather weak in The Avengers, almost Zod-lite (Terence Stamp Zod, that is).
I don't think Stamp did such a bad job. Hell of a fucking better than Shannon.
Old 09-09-16, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think Stamp did such a bad job. Hell of a fucking better than Shannon.
I agree about Stamp, just saying I didn't find Loki all that threatening in Avengers (as the main villain) and seemed to take a few cues from Stamp's Zod (in one scene IIRC he commands people to kneel before him).
Old 09-13-16, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Ryan Potter (Big Hero 6) makes an unofficial audition tape to Ben for Robin. Make it happen!

Old 09-13-16, 11:05 AM
Banned

Yeah. I'm not seeing much of interest there. Seems like the camera was used for more effect than he was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.