Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018, D: Miller/Lord and Ron Howard)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018, D: Miller/Lord and Ron Howard)

Old 01-03-17, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
re: Star Wars Anthology: Untitled Han Solo Film (2018, D: NOT Miller & Lord)

Woody Harrelson Eyed to Play Han Solo’s Mentor in ‘Star Wars’ Spinoff (EXCLUSIVE)
JANUARY 3, 2017 | 02:04PM PT

After playing a mentor to Katniss Everdeen in “The Hunger Games” franchise, Woody Harrelson might help guide another iconic character’s journey.

Sources tell Variety that, while talks are still in the early stages, Harrelson is the top choice to play Han Solo’s mentor in the upcoming “Star Wars” spinoff starring Alden Ehrenreich.

Donald Glover and Emilia Clarke also star, with Phil Lord and Chris Miller directing. Disney had no comment.

The movie will be set prior to “Star Wars: A New Hope,” like the other “Star Wars” standalone project, “Rogue One,” which hit theaters on Dec. 16.

Kathleen Kennedy and Allison Shearmur are producing the spinoff film, which is expected to begin production in January. The movie is slated to hit theaters on May 25, 2018. Harrelson and Shearmur have close ties from their work on “The Hunger Games,” when Shearmur was overseeing the project for Lionsgate.

The ensemble has already begun filling with rising stars, but executives wanted this role to go to an actor with considerable clout, and started meeting with actors over the past several weeks.

The first “Star Wars Story,” “Rogue One,” has set the bar high. Along with overwhelmingly positive reviews, it has grossed more than $800 million worldwide, and is still in theaters.

In the past year, Harrelson has kept busy, appearing in the cop drama “Triple Nine,” “Now You See Me 2,” “LBJ,” and “The Edge of Seventeen.”

The coming year looks just as busy, with “The Glass Castle” opposite Brie Larson, “Wilson,” and the highly anticipated “War of the Planet of the Apes,” in which he plays the new antagonist. He is repped by CAA.
Old 01-03-17, 04:32 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

ugh.

I just hate everything about this project.

Give me new stories... give me episode 8 and 9... give me a Boba Fett or young Obi Wan movie (with Mcgregor) but this....
Old 01-03-17, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

if you want new stories, how is a Boba Fett and Han Solo spinoff any different from one another?
Old 01-04-17, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

So Han is going to have a Best Friend, a lifelong faithful companion AND a mentor? That seems like a lot of companionship for a guy so defined as a loner that they friggin named him "Solo".

I do like the idea of Harrelson as a mentor, but maybe more as like Sully in Uncharted.
Old 01-04-17, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
So Han is going to have a Best Friend, a lifelong faithful companion AND a mentor?
Possibly a wife/girlfriend, too.
Old 01-04-17, 05:46 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
if you want new stories, how is a Boba Fett and Han Solo spinoff any different from one another?
Boba Fett is a mask.

Han Solo is Harrison Ford.

and I had no problem with a young Obi Wan, because he was decades younger.... not a couple of years younger for Han as in this proposed spinoff.
Old 01-04-17, 12:37 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Borys Kit
@Borys_Kit

True that Disney & Lucasfilm wanted someone big for HAN SOLO...before Woody Harrelson, CHRISTIAN BALE was the other big name in the mix.
5:19 PM - 3 Jan 2017
https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
Old 01-04-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Qui Gonn, Obi Wan, Han.
Mentors don't live long once they take on the mentorship role. All three were goners when they started being role models for Anakin, Luke and Rey, repsectively.

RIP Woody's character.
Old 01-05-17, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Boba Fett is a mask.
Old 01-05-17, 11:00 AM

Nico Sotomayor
‏@nicosotomayor00

Two Han Solos grabbing lunch.

https://twitter.com/nicosotomayor00
Old 01-11-17, 10:23 AM

Harrelson is official:

Veteran film and television actor Woody Harrelson is stepping aboard the upcoming Han Solo movie set to arrive in theaters next year.

Harrelson, known for wide-ranging roles in film and TV such as The Hunger Games, No County For Old Men, True Detective, Cheers, and Zombieland, will join actors Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo), Donald Glover (Lando Calrissian), and Emilia Clarke in the adventure. This Star Wars Story is the second in a series of films that live outside the Skywalker family saga, and is set during the early scoundrel days of the iconic characters, prior to A New Hope.

“We couldn’t be more excited to work with an artist with as much depth and range as Woody,” said the film’s directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. “His ability to find both humor and pathos, often in the same role, is truly unique. He is also very good at ping pong.”

The as-yet-untitled movie, which is being produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Allison Shearmur, and Simon Emanuel, is scheduled for release in 2018.
http://www.starwars.com/news/woody-h...-han-solo-film
Old 01-11-17, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
... (Woody) will join actors Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo), Donald Glover (Lando Calrissian), and Emilia Clarke in the adventure
Old 01-11-17, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Better caption: Han not Solo
Old 01-15-17, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Boba Fett is a mask.

Han Solo is Harrison Ford.

and I had no problem with a young Obi Wan, because he was decades younger.... not a couple of years younger for Han as in this proposed spinoff.
A couple of years younger?

How old was Han supposed to be in episode 4? Around 30-35 maybe?

From what I'm understanding, this version of Han is probably in his early 20's.
Old 01-15-17, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Han in ANH was supposed to be 30. (Luke and Leia were 19, Ben was 57 and Anakin 41).
Old 01-15-17, 09:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I really can't see Harrelson in a Star Wars movie, let alone as a mentor to the original Rogue One. He's great and I love him, don't get me wrong, but this casting seems off with every Star Wars movie ever.
Old 01-15-17, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I really can't see Harrelson in a Star Wars movie, let alone as a mentor to the original Rogue One. He's great and I love him, don't get me wrong, but this casting seems off with every Star Wars movie ever.
As opposed to Samuel L. Jackson?
Old 01-15-17, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
As opposed to Samuel L. Jackson?
He fit right in with Lucas' prequel trilogy...
Old 01-23-17, 01:18 PM

Chatting with Variety about his new movie “Wilson”, Harrelson was asked straight up if he was playing Garris Shrike in the “Star Wars” flick, to which he hemmed and hawed and finally answered, “Yeah, I am.”

Now, a couple of things: first, there’s already some debates on the internet about whether or not Woody Harrelson was confirming he’s in the movie or playing Garris Shrike (see the video below and come to your own conclusion). Secondly, the new saga and spinoff films thus far haven’t directly used non-canon, expanded universe fare so it’s probably a safe bet that Phil Lord and Chris Miller will tweak Garris Shrike to suit their needs. But in case you’re wondering who exactly this character is, here’s a quick summary from Wookieepedia:

Garris Shrike was the man who raised Han Solo. As a young man, he was a bounty hunter, but his quick temper kept him from collecting many live bounties. Instead, he turned to crime, collecting a group of orphans whom he used in confidence tricks and thefts, based aboard the decommissioned troopship Trader’s Luck in orbit over Corellia. One of those orphans was Han Solo. Shrike rescued Solo from the streets, raised him, trained him, and beat him profusely when aggravated.
http://theplaylist.net/woody-harrels...noff-20170123/
Old 01-23-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Kind of cool that they haven't abandoned the EU/Legends entirely, and still using the characters and concepts introduced there.

Even though Rebels is kind of dreadful, I am enjoying Thrawn in it. I just hope they don't kill him off so he can appear in a future movie.

Also hope Xizor shows up in a future movie, too.
Old 01-23-17, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So basically, the Han Solo movie is "Oliver Twist"?

Old 02-08-17, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Star Wars: ‘Fleabag’ Star Eyed for Key Role in ‘Han Solo’ Spinoff (EXCLUSIVE)
Justin Kroll Film Reporter @krolljvar
FEBRUARY 8, 2017 | 04:20PM PT

Following her critically acclaimed turn in the Amazon series “Fleabag,” actress Pheobe Waller-Bridge is in talks for a key role in the upcoming “Star Wars” Han Solo spinoff starring Alden Ehrenreich.

The role would be a CGI-driven performance from Waller-Bridge but would still be a significant part of the ensemble, similarly to key Star Wars characters in the past like Chewbacca, C-3P0 and most recently, Alan Tudyk’s K-2SO in “Rogue One.”

Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson and Emilia Clarke co-star star in the Disney-Lucasfilm film, with Phil Lord and Chris Miller directing.

The untitled Han Solo pic is set prior to “Star Wars: A New Hope,” like the other “Star Wars” standalone project, “Rogue One.”

Kathleen Kennedy and Allison Shearmur will produce with production slated to begin in January. The movie hits theaters on May 25, 2018.

The first “Star Wars Story,” “Rogue One,” has set the bar high. Along with overwhelmingly positive reviews, the film has already grossed more than a billion dollars worldwide since opening Dec. 16.

Cutting her teeth in British TV realm in shows like “Broadchurch” and “Drifters”, Waller-Bridge broke out on the scene with her series “Crashing.” She would follow that series up with her Amazon series “Fleabag”, which she created and stars in.

The show has already received critical acclaim earning Critics Choice nominations for series and Waller Bridge.

She is repped by UTA, Independent Talent Group aileen mcewan and pj shapiro .
Old 02-10-17, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thandie Newton In Talks for Han Solo Movie (EXCLUSIVE)
Justin Kroll Film Reporter @krolljvar
FEBRUARY 10, 2017 | 03:26PM PT

“Westworld” star Thandie Newton may be heading to a galaxy far, far away.

Sources tell Variety the actress is in negotiations to join the upcoming Han Solo spinoff starring Alden Ehrenreich.

Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson and Emilia Clarke co-star in the Disney-Lucasfilm film, with Phil Lord and Chris Miller directing.

As Variety exclusively reported this week, “Fleabag” actress Phoebe Waller-Bridge is also in talks for a key role. Newton’s character is unknown.

The untitled Han Solo movie hits theaters May 25, 2018.

Produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Allison Shearmur, “Solo” takes place before the original “Star Wars: A New Hope,” similarly to the recent spinoff, “Rogue One,” which has amassed over a billion dollars worldwide.

Newton is coming off her critically acclaimed turn in HBO’s “Westworld” as Maeve, the renegade robot whose gutty performance earned her 2 SAG (Best performance and ensemble in a drama) nominations and a Golden Globe nomination. She stars filming Xavier Dolan’s “The Death and Life of John F. Donovan” in March and is expected to return to “Westworld” for its second season, which begins shooting later this year.

She is repped by WME, Untitled Entertainment and Independent Talent Group.
Old 02-13-17, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I watched "The Impossible" with Ewan Gordon McGregor over the weekend and I kept thinking man how I wish they were making an Obi Wan movie over a Han Solo.
Old 02-13-17, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

A obi wan movie is money in the bank... Im sure the idea is floating out there. If done correct, it will break records.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.