Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you liked at first but upon another viewing, now dislike? (and vice versa)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies you liked at first but upon another viewing, now dislike? (and vice versa)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I got a copy of The Cell and after watching it, and not caring for it that much (giving it a 5/10 mainly for the visuals), I was surprised that I initially gave it a 8/10 on IMDb. Outside of some of the effects, it's just a downright stupid movie.

So, are there movies you liked upon first viewing but watching years later decidedly changed your mind?

How about the opposite, movies you didn't like but second viewing now like?

Same situation for me, here, as I watched Virtuosity, a movie I gave a 4/10 now rate a 6/10. Still not that good per se, but a lot of fun watching Russell Crowe camping it up and on the whole, fairly entertaining.
Old 06-30-15, 10:43 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Movies you liked at first but upon another viewing, now dislike? (and vice versa)

Virtuosity was a fun movie. Denzel hadn't really hit mega-star levels at the box office, and Russell Crowe was relatively unknown and made a great villain. Really enjoyed it at the time and still think it's pretty decent.

Back to the topic at hand, I didn't care for Blade Runner when I first saw it, but have liked it more with each viewing. I remember liking ID4 when it came out, but mostly find it pretty laughable when I see on cable or whatever. It's not a terrible movie, but pretty average overall. I'm sure there's plenty more, but those two come to mind off the bat.
Old 06-30-15, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
Re: Movies you liked at first but upon another viewing, now dislike? (and vice versa)

First time I watched The Big Lebowski back in 1998 I thought it was an absolute piece of shit and an endurance test to get through.

Years later, I noticed it is actually a very funny movie full of great characters and visuals and energy. I've enjoyed it many times since.

I don't know, maybe I still had Fargo hangover and resented the Coen brothers doing a movie that was more silly. Maybe I was in a bad mood that day. Glad I gave it a second chance a realized I was wrong.
Old 07-01-15, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Amazing Spiderman.
Old 07-01-15, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
First time I saw it (Under the influence) I thought it was the greatest thing ever (Drugs are bad, kids)
I still absolutely love the opening 20 minutes, but it all just goes downhill once the old man and his sons show up. I just wish Russ would've come up with a different "Adventure" for that trio of girls to embark on.

I remember re-watching Come and See with my dad (Who had never seen it) about a year ago and that one almost had me re-thinking my highly-praised opinion of it. But that was mostly because of the first hour (Where nothing really happens) unlike the conclusion which remains as some of the most perfect filmmaking I've ever seen.

And even though I haven't seen it since it's theatrical release (And post-Oscar win) I get a STRONG feeling that The Artist might qualify.

I'll also join in with the Virtuosity love. I've always had a soft spot for that one since it's HBO premier.
Old 07-01-15, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Hated A Clockwork Orange now love it.
Hated Mulholland Drive now love it.
Hated Old Joy now love it.
Loved Episode III, now hate it.
Loved Batman Forever, now hate it
Disliked Clerks 2, but its watchability won me over.
Old 07-01-15, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

There was a time in my testosterone-loaded high school days where I called Braveheart my favorite movie. Now I can't look past the historical inaccuracies. Not to mention the frikkin' score has Irish uillean pipes rather than Highland bagpipes.
Old 07-01-15, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

That's funny you mention The Cell, I liked it a decade ago and just rewatched it the other day, it aged better than I anticipated.

I didn't like Lebowski the first time I saw it but now think it's tremendously well made.

I didn't like Pulp Fiction when I was a kid but like it now.
Old 07-01-15, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Hated the original Austin Powers when I saw it in theaters but after watching it on video I realized it's hilarious. I have no idea what was wrong with me originally.

There's a few common ones that haven't aged well. I liked Independence Day a lot in the theater and at home, but it's tough to get through now. The characters are just such stereotypes. I think I was too impressed by the effects at the time.
Old 07-01-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I hated Road To Perdition when I saw it at the theater. Found it predictable and boring. For some reason, it really grew on me when I rented it and now it's a BD that I love watching.
Old 07-01-15, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
How about the opposite, movies you didn't like but second viewing now like?
A friend lent me Super Troopers when it first came out on DVD and I didn't think it was funny at all. Several pay cable viewings later and now I love it. (I don't know why I gave it more chances. Maybe as background noise?)
Old 07-01-15, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Pulp Fiction is a movie that just didn't work for me when I saw it, but the 2nd time I watched it I absolutely loved it. I think its all about expectations as I didn't watch it til DVD, so I kept hearing how great the movie was and built it up too much in my head.

Star Wars Episode III:Revenge of the Sith is a movie I really liked in the theater, and then I got it on DVD and started to hate it after multiple viewings. I guess it was just that maybe I wanted it to be a great movie so I sort of blocked all of the bad things I saw in the movie theater.

Batman Returns was a movie I almost walked out of the theater in 1992. God, I absolutely despised that movie. I didnt watch it for about 20 yeras, and gave it another shot a few years ago as I actually think it holds up better then Batman '89.
Old 07-01-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I saw David Lynch's BLUE VELVET in a theater when it came out and wrote in my journal, "Vile!"

But the imagery in it kept haunting me and I realized I had to give it another chance. So I went to see it again the next time it came to a theater in NYC and I'm very glad I did. It's a work of art. A difficult one, to be sure, but sometimes art is supposed to be difficult.

I've revisited plenty of movies I initially liked and was disappointed the second time, but I've forgotten which films those are.
Old 07-01-15, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I LOVED The Departed the first time is saw it. On subsequent viewings it hasn't held up to being quite the masterpiece I thought it was.

When I saw Burn After Reading in the theater I thought it was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. I couldn't stop laughing. When I re-watched it on DVD I don't think I even cracked a smile. It's no where near as funny as I originally thought. It must have just been the mood I was in when I first saw it.
Old 07-01-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Hated Spring Breakers the first time I saw it. Upon second viewing I think it's a really good film and IMO Harmony Korine's best.
Old 07-01-15, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traffic. The first viewing impressed me with its scope. The second viewing revealed how unfocused it was.
Old 07-01-15, 11:49 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It must have just been the mood I was in when I first saw it.
Drunk
Old 07-01-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
First time I saw it (Under the influence) I thought it was the greatest thing ever (Drugs are bad, kids)
I still absolutely love the opening 20 minutes, but it all just goes downhill once the old man and his sons show up. I just wish Russ would've come up with a different "Adventure" for that trio of girls to embark on.
I think it's gotten better over time. I just it watched again a few weeks ago and the dialogue was even funnier.
Old 07-01-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I wanted so badly to believe that M Night's early successes weren't a fluke that I convinced myself that The Village and The Happening were good movies. I was half right with the first one but dead wrong on the second.

Got so caught up in the hype of Phantom Menace that I thought it was wonderful and convinced a friend to come see it with me (first time for him, second time for me). I apologized to him afterwards.

First time I saw Shawshank, I thought it was thoroughly mediocre. Forgive me, internet.
Old 07-01-15, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Liked Man of Steel the first time I saw it at the theater. Saw it a second time and still liked it but didn't love it like the first time. The more I've seen it since buying the Blu-ray and catching it on HBO the more evident the problems become. I wouldn't say I hate it but it's a very flawed film.

I also enjoyed Revenge of the Sith a lot upon first viewing. It probably is the most watchable of the Prequel Trilogy if I was ever forced to pick one to watch, but it's a pretty shitty film none the less. I think a lot of the reason I liked it so much initially was due to the experience I had with my friends and the crowd at the theater.
Old 07-01-15, 02:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost walked out of Big Fish in theatres, thought it was treacly and insufferable, but now I think it's Burton's most moving film. I think one's relationship with their father has a great deal to do with how you respond to the story.

Last edited by EctoCooler; 07-01-15 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-01-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I didn't like Unforgiven when I first saw it in the theater. I saw it a second time (in theaters) and loved it. It just was such an atypical Western, I didn't "get it" the first time through.

I absolutely HATED David Lynch's Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me for years. Now, after about a dozen viewings, I think it's one of his masterpieces.
Old 07-01-15, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Ghostbusters....Didn't like it when I first saw it but after seeing it over the years...I still don't like it, but I can appreciate why some thinks it's all that.
Old 07-01-15, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

X-Men and X-Men 2.
Old 07-01-15, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I absolutely HATED David Lynch's Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me for years. Now, after about a dozen viewings, I think it's one of his masterpieces.
Loved it the first time and I agree about the whole masterpiece thing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.