Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you liked at first but upon another viewing, now dislike? (and vice versa)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies you liked at first but upon another viewing, now dislike? (and vice versa)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-15, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts
Re: Movies you liked at first but upon another viewing, now dislike? (and vice versa)

A Good Day to Die Hard

I think it's because I saw it with my dad for his birthday (saw it in theaters) and it was fun to see father and son McClane on screen.

And then I saw it again by myself when it hit cable and it's pretty bad!
Old 07-01-15, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,069 Posts
Re: Movies you liked at first but upon another viewing, now dislike? (and vice versa)

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
Almost walked out of Big Fish in theatres, thought it was treacly and insufferable, but now I think it's Burton's most moving film. I think one's relationship with their father has a great deal to do with how you respond to the story.
In that same vein I'll suggest Field of Dreams. When I originally saw it I thought it was a cute little film. Then I re-watched it about a year after my dad died and it moved me to tears. Thinking about it, the movie isn't even about baseball.
Old 07-01-15, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,467 Likes on 933 Posts

Hannie Caulder. I thought it was great when I saw it as a teenager. Raquel Welch wearing nothing but a poncho -- what's not to love? The rest of the movie.

I liked Corvette Summer at about the same age. I have no urge to revisit it. Some youthful memories should be left untarnished.

I gave a marginal thumbs up to Eyes Wide Shut when it came out. Since then I've watched the DVD 5-6 times, and I see yet another thing I like about it with each viewing.

I turned off Being There halfway through the movie and returned the tape. But a few years later I watched it when I wasn't packing to move, and it was great.
Old 07-02-15, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Didn't find The Three Amigos funny the first time I saw it. I was doing a lot of business travel and for a while it seemed like whatever movie channel they had at whatever cheap motel I was staying at had it on the night I was there. I ended up seeing it (or parts of it) several times and it got funnier every time I watched it. I like it now.
Old 07-02-15, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Detention (2011) made my brain explode on my first viewing. I thought it was awful. Gave it another try and everything gelled better. Probably the most original "mainstream" movie in recent years.

on the other hand, Silent Hill (2006) got worse with every viewing.
Old 07-02-15, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I thought The Dark Knight was OK in the theaters, rewatched it and realized it is a completely awful, silly movie, but not as bad as the third one.

Really disliked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind the first time I watched it, got convinced by all the love for it that I missing something so watched it again and realized I completely hate it with a fiery passion.

I got bored with Suspect Zero and stopped watching years ago, recently watched it again and thought it was quite, quite good, Would enjoy a sequel.

I liked the recent Godzilla in the theaters but did not like it on repeat viewing.
Old 07-03-15, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
Batman Returns was a movie I almost walked out of the theater in 1992. God, I absolutely despised that movie. I didnt watch it for about 20 yeras, and gave it another shot a few years ago as I actually think it holds up better then Batman '89.
I used to like this movie more, but seeing it more recently...The Penguin kills a good movie. His goofy antics just ruin what could have been an interesting Batman/Catwoman movie.
Old 07-03-15, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I used to like this movie more, but seeing it more recently...The Penguin kills a good movie. His goofy antics just ruin what could have been an interesting Batman/Catwoman movie.
Yeah, Penguin truly is awful in Batman Returns. The film would have been much better if he wasn't in it.