Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Terminator Genisys?
Loved it, Bring on the next movie!
9.26%
Liked it
33.33%
It was alright
23.15%
It was watchable, but disappointing
21.30%
Hated it with every fiber of my being
3.70%
Not going to waste my hard earned money on it
1.85%
Not interested in seeing it in theaters, but will catch it on BD/DVD
5.56%
Will wait even longer until it hits HBO or On demand
0.93%
I refuse to support this movie in any form. It never should have been made.
0.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Old 07-03-15, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Saw it, liked it. However the whole time travel logic is just screwed up beyond saving. Its like in Austin Powers. "We suggest you don't think about it".

I did comment to my friend that if the timeline was like other movies, it would have been hilarious if when John was coming at them, Reese just puts the gun in his crotch and shoots. John fades away since he can never be born.

As it stands now, he could never be the leader of the resistance. Even Sarah and Reese had him (which is probably impossible since he wasn't conceived at the certain point) he would now be only 12 when the resistance defeated Skynet in the future.
Old 07-03-15, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,623 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Saw it, liked it. However the whole time travel logic is just screwed up beyond saving. Its like in Austin Powers. "We suggest you don't think about it".

I did comment to my friend that if the timeline was like other movies, it would have been hilarious if when John was coming at them, Reese just puts the gun in his crotch and shoots. John fades away since he can never be born.

As it stands now, he could never be the leader of the resistance. Even Sarah and Reese had him (which is probably impossible since he wasn't conceived at the certain point) he would now be only 12 when the resistance defeated Skynet in the future.

Spoiler:
Everything from the 2029 Los Angeles sequence is officially wiped out. Sucks that Jason Clarke is one and done with this series. I thought he was pretty awesome as John. Now a 20 year old Sarah Connor is in 2017 with Kyle. She said she was 9 years old when Pops around in 1973, so she should actually be 53 or 54 in 2017.

However, there are now 2 Kyle Reese's floating around. I don't know if that would be addressed in a future film if the series continues.
Old 07-03-15, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I think it's obvious. Young Kyle Reese will hack ATM machines and rides around on his dirtbike with the red headed kid from the revived Salute Your Shorts. One day another terminator comes back and he has to team up with Pops and break Sarah and Kyle out of the loony bin.

And yes, I know that's very cynical.
Old 07-03-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I just remembered that the running joke of the T-800's smile actually originated from a deleted scene in the theatrical cut of T2. Who knew that it would return in a sequel some 20+years later?
Old 07-04-15, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I think it's obvious. Young Kyle Reese will hack ATM machines and rides around on his dirtbike with the red headed kid from the revived Salute Your Shorts. One day another terminator comes back and he has to team up with Pops and break Sarah and Kyle out of the loony bin.

And yes, I know that's very cynical.
I like it and it makes sense. This kid Reese will be the new leader of the resistance in that particular time line.
Old 07-04-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
So.... better or worse than T3 and T4? I have to decide between seeing this or that Pixar Inside Out whatever thing tomorrow night. Help me out.
This movie is WAY better than either T3 or T4. I liked it almost as much as the new JURASSIC WORLD. In other words, parts of it are stupid...but stupid in a fun way. This is a really entertaining popcorn flick that I think a lot of people are going to wish they'd caught in the theater once it hits home video.

I'd give it a B+

I was NOT a fan of INSIDE OUT. It's okay - but it's not as "great" as all the reviews would lead you to believe.
Old 07-04-15, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I like it and it makes sense. This kid Reese will be the new leader of the resistance in that particular time line.
When I wrote it, I was being silly and cynical. But Genisys did bring up the theory that certain events can be shifted around, but not avoided.
Old 07-04-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Just got back from it. I'll go with the group that says it's better than 3 and 4. It certainly can't touch 1 and 2. Few films can. It kept my attention all the way through, but in some ways this is just a re-hash of T2 again. Substitute the shape-changing Terminator-John Connor with the shape-changing T-1000 or the shape-changing T-X and it fits the same pattern of the same chase and showdown.

What I loved about T1 and T2 were how epic, earnest, and elegant they were. It relied more on the visceral experience with a simple story than weaving a tangled mess of a plot. The casting was amazing and it really hits home how you can't get too invested with the new Kyle, Sarah, and John Connor. In T1 and T2, the actors really breath life into their respective characters. They exude their emotions. You can't help but feel for them. Now it's just dialogue, and dialogue, and dialogue. (In short, Emilia Clarke is *no* Linda Hamilton).

We live in the age of the disposable blockbuster. Terminators 3, 4, and 5 are prime examples of this. Terminators 1 and 2 will stand the test of time as long as cinema exists.

Spoiler:
And what was up with that COPS scene? That was just dumb. It's like they put something from their blooper reel in the actual movie.

Last edited by PatD; 07-04-15 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-04-15, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just came back from our ATMOS screening and it was fucking badass! ATMOS is insane.

As far as who sent Pops back to 1973, well, Pops himself says that the information has been erased.

Had a good crowd at this location, too.
Old 07-04-15, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Saw it yesterday. Overall, I liked it. Better than the abortion that was Salvation. They really took the most Hollywood route they could take with plot and characters. Emilia Clarke was good, but she needs to do romantic comedies, not action. Arnold was Arnold, Clarke was good, and Courtney was close to unbearable. Smith did alright with what little he had. Entertaining, but I am NOT clamoring for another entry. Let it go.

Spoiler:
I really did dislike the ending they had. While post credits indicates Skynet/Alex/Genysis is still alive, the ending most people probably saw was the "what's next for our merry band of misfits?" one. Kind goes against the Terminator grain.
Old 07-04-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

What's weird was that Reese kept trying to reason with John Connor when it really wasn't him anymore (even after he got over the initial realization at the hospital). Best to move on/destroy it and try to fix the situation another way.

Also when the two Reese's were trying to convince Sarah Connor that they were real, it would have been a good strategy for the real Reese to do anything other than exactly what the other dude was doing. Run away, act stupid, start stripping, whatever.
Old 07-04-15, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kyle believed that a part of John was still in there. The "robot" merged with John and convinced him that what they offered was right. A mix of force and will. That was part of the robots plan - to assimilate with humans instead of kill all of them.
Old 07-04-15, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True, but there was no way (that they or we knew of) to 'fix' John or convince him otherwise. Sucks, but he had to go in that case.
Old 07-04-15, 09:50 PM

Am I the only one who thought that the Loken's T-X from Terminator 3 was a far more formidable foe than robo-John Connor? I wasn't exactly on the edge of my seat when he was causing trouble. Damn PG-13.
Old 07-04-15, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One another note, it would have been nice if they had the same dude from T2 to play Miles Dyson, considering that he's alive in 2017 and would age along with the character.

Last edited by bluetoast; 07-04-15 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-04-15, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
One another note, it would have been nice if they had the same dude from T2 to play Miles Dyson, considering that he's alive in 2017 and would age along with the character.
Agreed. Joe Morton didn't get enough praise for his work in T2. Very intense acting on his part.
Old 07-04-15, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw it. Maybe it's because my expectations were in the sewer going in, but I enjoyed it. Overplotted to be sure, and the attempts at humor were a bit much (wtf was up with that COPS scene??) but in the end it nicely sets up yet another new timeline. Arnie was awesome
Spoiler:
and it was nice to have him still standing at the end for once
. The future war scenes were brief but cool, bringing back a little bit more of the look and sound of T1 and 2. I wish
Spoiler:
Byung Lee's T-1000 lasted a while longer in the film.
. The 3D was pretty decent. Was good to get the full Terminator theme back after Salvation. Might pick up the inevitable Unrated Blu-Ray if I find it for cheap.

Edit: Jason Clarke is too ugly for these leading roles in potential blockbusters.

Last edited by EctoCooler; 07-05-15 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-05-15, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the 3D good?
Old 07-05-15, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah, Byung Lee was really good as the T-1000. He was very well cast.

I thought Jai Courtney was fine for the version of Kyle Reese he was playing, but since he was ostensibly supposed to be the same Kyle Reese we saw in the first Terminator, well, not so much. But one thing is for certain--this film blew A Good Day to Die Hard out of the water.
Old 07-05-15, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Is the 3D good?
Not really worth the extra money. Wasn't bad, but didn't add anything.
Old 07-05-15, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, the T-1000 is the same one that tried killing Sarah in 1973. FYI
Old 07-05-15, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was a pile of shit. Completely lifeless, uninspired, forgettable garbage. Recreating the '84 scenes reminds you how awesome the original is and that the movie you're watching is total crap. John Connor Terminator poses no threat at all. Never once do you feel any tension in the movie or that the characters are in any danger. The acting is awful, the action is bland, and the endless smiling bit with Arnold hits with a giant thud. The 27% RT score is too high.

This joins Entourage and Poltergeist as the worst movies of the Summer.
Old 07-05-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,623 Likes on 2,600 Posts

I found this blurb about how the financing worked for this sequel:

Turns out Megan Ellison is financing 33% of the new Terminator, and her brother David, of Skydance Productions, is providing another 33%. Paramount is picking up the remaining third, which is part of what got Schwarzenegger back on board for good. (Skydance and Paramount have partnered on films such as Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol and Jack Reacher.)
Since Paramount is only paying 1/3 of the cost, looks like the key to another sequel will lay in the hands of the Ellisons since they paid 66% of it's costs. I saw Megan Ellison actually bought the rights for $20M.

The rights to the series go back to James Cameron in 2019, so they may only have time to make 1 more movie if they decide to do it.

Cameron stupidly sold the rights off for $1 so that he could direct the 1st movie.

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainm.../12192301.html

he said in 2009 that he's done with the series.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-05-15 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-05-15, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that Megan and David Ellison have a good grip on what's good and what's not. If they're going to make another movie, three years is enough time. If the rights shift, there's no reason for the franchise to end in Cameron's hands.

They just have to figure out something innovative. That's what the Terminator movies stand for. They opened up the whole multi-timeline time-travel-as-warefare bit. They could create a really frenetic experience from that. They kept that relatively disciplined in Genisys.
Old 07-05-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Well the sequels are set for 2017 and 2018 so that takes care of that

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.