Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Secret in Their Eyes (2015, D: B. Ray) S: N. Kidman, J. Roberts, C. Ejiofor

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Looks interesting. Nice to see Ejiofor getting a starring role in a Hollywood blockbuster. Really enjoyed his work in Dirty Pretty Things.

A tight-knit team of FBI investigators, along with their District Attorney supervisor, is suddenly torn apart when they discover that one of their own teenage daughters has been brutally murdered in this remake of the Academy Award winning Argentine film.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N3b0PFCrayE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 06-30-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Secret in Their Eyes (10/15, D: B. Ray) S: N. Kidman, J. Roberts, C. Ejiofor

Liked the original a lot and I'm not a fan of remakes. Hope they don't fuck it up.
Old 06-30-15, 10:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Secret in Their Eyes (10/15, D: B. Ray) S: N. Kidman, J. Roberts, C. Ejiofor

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Looks interesting. Nice to see Ejiofor getting a starring role in a Hollywood blockbuster. Really enjoyed his work in Dirty Pretty Things.
Ejiofor is awesome in just about everything, especially Redbelt. This looks pretty interesting as well.
Old 07-07-15, 10:21 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Fuck Hollywood and these remakes. And fuck Julia "Mr. Ed." Roberts
Old 07-07-15, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The original is fantastic and not in need of remake. It's worth seeing for the stadium scene alone.
Old 07-07-15, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

From what I remember of the original it looks like they have changed the story for this remake. In the original there are 3 main characters (2 men and a woman) who work for the prosecutors office who are investigating the murder of a man's wife. In this one it looks like if they combined 2 of the male characters (the prosecutors assistant and the husband of the dead woman) into Julia Roberts who plays the DA and has her daughter murdered.
Old 07-07-15, 11:53 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I think Nichole Kidman is the female prosecutor/boss role. Not sure if

Spoiler:
the love story will involve her or Roberts though
Old 07-07-15, 12:01 PM
RIP

Jesus, Julia Roberts is sure doing some serious Oscar-whoring in that trailer.
Old 07-07-15, 06:44 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Jesus, Julia Roberts is sure doing some serious Oscar-whoring in that trailer.
Oh yes, and they've got her dressed down with no makeup too. Just hand her the damn trophy already.
Old 07-07-15, 07:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

Looked pretty good to me...
Old 11-17-15, 11:32 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

This comes out this week. I think it looks OK... I'm intrigued with Billy Ray directing... but I just don't know if I'd go to the theatre for this.
Old 11-18-15, 03:55 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This comes out this week. I think it looks OK... I'm intrigued with Billy Ray directing... but I just don't know if I'd go to the theatre for this.
Uh oh. When was the last time a movie with this kind of star power wasn't given to critics for early reviews?

Comes out in a day and don't see any reviews available. The director must have fucked this film up big time.

Would there be any other reason for a studio to not let the film be reviewed in advance besides they know they've got a bad movie on their hands?
Old 11-18-15, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Uh oh. When was the last time a movie with this kind of star power wasn't given to critics for early reviews?

Comes out in a day and don't see any reviews available. The director must have fucked this film up big time.

Would there be any other reason for a studio to not let the film be reviewed in advance besides they know they've got a bad movie on their hands?
This has star power and is a remake of highly praised award winning film. Where is the film festival and Oscar buzz? Where are the reviews? I have a bad feeling..............
Old 11-18-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
This has star power and is a remake of highly praised award winning film. Where is the film festival and Oscar buzz? Where are the reviews? I have a bad feeling..............
The reviews appear to be not-terrible but still negative, as they're comparing with the original.

That said, STX, the distributor, hasn't really done a good job getting the word of their movies out there. They've only had one other release (The Gift earlier this year) which I didn't even know about until a day before release.

Still, the only real star power left in this one is Julia Roberts who isn't a big draw anymore (Her last releases being August: Osage County, Mirror Mirror and Fireflies in the Garden). Fireflies in the Garden had a more impressive cast imo and did no business at all. Chiwetel is a great actor but not a draw, Nicole Kidman had Paddington, but her other recent films (Strangerland, Before I Go to Sleep, Grace of Monaco and The Railway Man (which had a limited release in the US)) basically all went straight to video in the US -- with Grace of Monaco going straight to Lifetime.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-18-15 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-20-15, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Secret in Their Eyes (2015, D: B. Ray) S: N. Kidman, J. Roberts, C. Ejiofor

I just got back from watching this and it's pretty decent. I did not know it was a remake. Iit was written and directed by Billy Ray who also wrote/directed the EXCELLENT film Breach a few years ago.

There are some excellent performances by the cast but be prepared for multiple red herrings. That's all I will say. I can already see that the underwhelming marketing will hurt the overall success of the picture. That, and releasing this weekend out of all weekends.
Old 11-21-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Do yourself a favor and watch the original Argentinian film.
Old 11-21-15, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The original is badass. It also has a much more interesting time period and setting.
Old 02-16-16, 10:31 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there ever was a film that got royally fucked by editing, this is it. Why the fuck did they decide to chop this story up into 13 years ago, 13 years later and then maybe a week before 13 years ago. Half the time, I'm trying to figure out this scene is in which category. It's absolutely fucking annoying. It took away the power of the film. Let alone, the three times they found the perp were all highly questionable coincidences. It's a shame a film with this kind of star power got messed up this bad. And Hollywood, enough with the start from the end and then jump back to 13 years earlier technique. Just tell the god damn story in a linear fashion.
Old 02-17-16, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

It's a shame that the story in this movie is such a mess since I thought Ejiofor was really good in it.

It feels like a LIFETIME TV movie though, with all the silly (and often laughably bad) plot twists.
Old 03-08-16, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Rented the Blu-Ray today.

Not bad. The non-linear storytelling didn't really bother me as ^^^ the last 2 guys complained about.

Thought Roberts and Ejiofor gave pretty solid performances. Never saw the original film, but I enjoyed the twists in this one. I would say this is a good one-time only watch. I don't think this has any replay value to own it. Nicole Kidman did look pretty good in it. They kind of teased a flirtation between her and Ejiofor's character in the film, but never went anywhere with it.

The movie seemed to just come and go in theaters without much hoopla. I guess this was hurt by really lackluster promotion and marketing.

BTW, the extras on the BD suck. Aside from the commentary, the making of featurette is only 2 minutes and there's another EPK fluff piece on Julia Roberts.
Old 05-17-16, 11:44 AM
RIP

I think this was really hurt by the fact that it's a weak remake of a really great film. Was it awful? No. Was it unnecessary? Yep.
Old 05-17-16, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I think this was really hurt by the fact that it's a weak remake of a really great film. Was it awful? No. Was it unnecessary? Yep.
It wasn't awful. But it sure was boring as shit. Skip this and watch the brilliant original. If you haven't seem it already. And I agree with the guy above about the jumping back 13 years, then back to present time, then back 13 years. It was too much.
Old 05-18-16, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Skip this and watch the brilliant original. If you haven't seem it already.
Old 05-18-16, 08:45 AM
RIP

The more I think about it, the more I think this one just flat out sucks, especially compared to the original film. Fuck Hollywood.
Old 05-18-16, 12:20 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The original Argentinian film is a masterpiece. Whoever hasn't seen it is making themselves a disfavor

Edit: look at this is on Youtube!

Last edited by nando820; 05-18-16 at 12:27 PM.