Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jurassic World (Trevorrow, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jurassic World (Trevorrow, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Re: Jurassic World (Trevorrow, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Re: D'Onofrio -- Have you seen Daredevil (Netflix)? I really think he was primarily in the movie as a setup for the next chapter. He (the character) really didn't contribute much except for a bit of exposition.
Old 06-26-16, 12:51 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He looked great in Daredevil. Actually.. he was fucking awesome in DD.
Old 06-26-16, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Re: D'Onofrio -- Have you seen Daredevil (Netflix)? I really think he was primarily in the movie as a setup for the next chapter. He (the character) really didn't contribute much except for a bit of exposition.
Exactly my point.

Cracked's review was right on. The original point of the first movie was to show nature cannot be controlled. At the end of JW, Pratt and the blue raptor practically fist bumped before parting ways. Trevorrow completely missed the point.
Old 06-27-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Ha why do people hate on this flick? It was mindless fun - I had a blast with it. Little long but that's a minor gripe.
Old 06-27-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
He looked great in Daredevil. Actually.. he was fucking awesome in DD.
Yes, I should have been a little more specific ... You are correct Snake! At first I was a little put off by his Kingpin, but now I freaking love it.

I know he had some health issues and weight issues in the past, but I meant he was probably still carrying some of his weight from playing Kingpin. Or is my timing completely off? Jurassic World was between Daredevil seasons, right?
Old 06-27-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Yes, I should have been a little more specific ... You are correct Snake! At first I was a little put off by his Kingpin, but now I freaking love it.

I know he had some health issues and weight issues in the past, but I meant he was probably still carrying some of his weight from playing Kingpin. Or is my timing completely off? Jurassic World was between Daredevil seasons, right?
Jurassic World filmed April 10th - August 5th 2014. D'Onofrio was cast as Kingpin on June 10th, 2014.
Old 06-27-16, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep, so my timing was off. I knew somebody here would be on top of that. Thank you Rich!

Popped JW in after getting back from the doctor today and posting that -- actually D'Onofrio doesn't look bad/heavy in this.

As to Traxan's comment, I think you are way off base. Trevorrow nailed it. Their were a few themes and messages that were consistent through the movie: the illusion of control, the idea these are genetically created creatures not "real dinosaurs", and the concept of their behaviors being altered by being around humans rather than living true "natural lives".
Old 06-27-16, 09:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At the same time though.... Treverrow went towards cheap and lazy narrative actions to move the story. There's a lot of fat on JW. It needed to be leaned out and finely tuned cuz it's really stupid film for the most part.

I enjoyed it... but it's got stupid shit in there that could have easily been fixed before he shot it.
Old 06-27-16, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I love how we're all talking about D'Onofrio as if he was some magificent specimen in Full Metal Jacket and he's only recently let himself go.
Old 06-27-16, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I love how we're all talking about D'Onofrio as if he was some magificent specimen in Full Metal Jacket and he's only recently let himself go.
Yeah, I don't get that either. Sure, he may have gained weight for FMJ, but he was never anyone that was a picture of health.
Old 06-27-16, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Yeah, I don't get that either. Sure, he may have gained weight for FMJ, but he was never anyone that was a picture of health.
Old 06-28-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

D'onofrio was pretty heavy set in Law and Order CI as well, for most of its 10 years on the air. Hair tends to make people look a little thinner as well.
Old 06-29-16, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Spoiler:
Old 06-29-16, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
why do people hate on this flick?

Because it's a piece of shit.
Old 06-29-16, 01:47 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Exactly my point.

Cracked's review was right on. The original point of the first movie was to show nature cannot be controlled. At the end of JW, Pratt and the blue raptor practically fist bumped before parting ways. Trevorrow completely missed the point.
No, he didn't miss anything. He appealed to the lowest common denominator, a.k.a. the average moviegoer.
Old 05-21-17, 01:44 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Rented this in blu ray. This movie fails on every level.

First of all there isn't one likeable character. The bloodsucking lawyer from Jurassic Park is more likeable than anyone in this film. The kids are especially unlikable. The kids in the first film had moments where they were unlikable, but that was part of the story in reguards to Dr. Grant's arc of becoming paternal. These kids are given no reason for why they are such pieces of shit. They just are.

The mom is unlikable, the fucking assistant who's supposed to watch them is unlikable, everyone was an asshole. The premis that Chris Who-Can-Keep-Track is the Dino Whisperer is just stupid. That should have never been included.

Instead of using an actual dinosaur that science is aware of the filmmakers have the stupid, unlikable characters invent a stupid, unlikable mean dinosaur that never existed. Why is this necessary? It's not. They should have just used a T-Rex. That's what everybody wants anyway. Not this bullshit, never existed dinosaur. The thing is given way too much screen time.

This movie's call backs to the original are unearned. I will label them "flagrant fan service" on the grounds that the filmmakers pilfer these signifiers and props without managing to pilfer any of the themes or intent or majesty of the original.

Fucking Hollywood garbage. Not worth a rental.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-21-17 at 01:53 PM.