Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

War for the Planet of the Apes (D: Reeves, 7/14/2017) - News, Rumors, Etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

War for the Planet of the Apes (D: Reeves, 7/14/2017) - News, Rumors, Etc.

Old 07-15-14, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2016)

Originally Posted by My Other Self
I can't fathom either of the sequels crossing the billion mark.

Part of it is I don't think anyone was clamoring for a franchise to be constructed after the first film.
I didn't see the first Avatar as a movie appealing enough to make $1b either, much less the $2.78b it wound up with. In fact I'm quite mystified by that. But I guess you can never underestimate a well realized world that people prefer over our own, few movies do that well these days.
Old 07-15-14, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

$2 billion of that was overseas. Add in more screens, especially China, by the time Part 2 opens and it might even be bigger. I won't underestimate it's potential.
Old 07-15-14, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I didn't see the first Avatar as a movie appealing enough to make $1b either, much less the $2.78b it wound up with. In fact I'm quite mystified by that. But I guess you can never underestimate a well realized world that people prefer over our own, few movies do that well these days.
Maybe that's what it is for me as well. The 3D was certainly different than anything I had seen before, but now one of the highest-grossing films of all-time different.
Old 07-15-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I said it in the review thread but just in case anyone hasn't watched Dawn yet
Spoiler:
At the end when they make contact with the Army it turns out to be another set of Apes. Ones that can perfectly Mimick human speak and understanding of the Tech were listening in to get contact with the rest of the humans. A more intelligent form of Apes mixes with Ceasers group and the full on enslavement of humans occurs.
Old 07-15-14, 10:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That sounds like an awful idea. I hope that's just poor conjecture on your part.
Old 07-15-14, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
I can't fathom either of the sequels crossing the billion mark.
There are three movies coming. And we are currently seeing a 4th entry to a sci-fi series which no critic likes, and online reception is as bad as it gets...make an easy 1.1 billion. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Avatar 2-4 makes 4 billion it it's sleep, easy.
Old 01-05-15, 09:58 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Pushed back a year - http://deadline.com/2015/01/gambit-a...es-1201341760/
Old 01-05-15, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Planet Of The Apes 3 (D: Reeves, 2017)

Dawn Of The Rise Of The Planet Of The Planet Of The Apes Planet
Old 01-05-15, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Dangit! Well, I guess Reeves wanted an extra year. Bring on the X-Men movies...
Old 01-05-15, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

It sucks because I'm looking forward to the next installment but 3 years between sequels is about on par with any other series.

Let's hope it was delayed so they could make sure the final product is as good as possible and they aren't just monkeying around.
Old 01-06-15, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm still curious to see how well the sequels to Avatar will do honestly. It's been quite a while since the first one, I just don't think people are clamoring for a sequel as much as James Cameron thinks. Maybe I'm wrong though.
While I want to completely agree with you, Cameron is pretty amazing in tapping into just the right thing at the right time. I though Titanic was a really dumb idea for a movie, and it was number 1 for like a year, and was surprisingly good. Then I thought Avatar was a horrible idea for a movie and it was the most popular movie since Titanic and while the plot is paper thin there was a lot of great things in the movie and it worked. Now I think Avatar 2, 3 and 4 sound really dumb but we will probably be surprised again.
Old 01-06-15, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm still curious to see how well the sequels to Avatar will do honestly. It's been quite a while since the first one, I just don't think people are clamoring for a sequel as much as James Cameron thinks. Maybe I'm wrong though.
I wouldn't have thought so about the first film either, but Cameron possesses an incredible voodoo over the box office. I'm fairly sure audiences will come in droves just like they did before to see Cameron dress up cliches with CG to show them "something they've never seen before."
Old 05-14-15, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
War of the Planet of the Apes (D: Reeves, 7/14/2017) - News, Rumors, Etc.

Exclusive: New PLANET OF THE APES Movie Title Revealed
by Matt Goldberg

The ending of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is tragic, inevitable, and telling. Caesar’s motivation throughout the film is trying to avoid war through a policy of isolation, and then seeing if peace is even possible. Fear on both sides destroys any possibility of peace, and then in the closing lines of the film Caesar says, “War has… already begun. Ape started war. And human… Human will not forgive.”

So the title of the next film may not be shocking, but we’re hearing from sources that the next Planet of the Apes movie will be titled:

War of the Planet of the Apes

And I’m on board with that. It’s a good, strong title that raises the stakes, and certainly breaks from the interchangeable “Rise” and “Dawn” for the recent Planet of the Apes films.

Director Matt Reeves was already pushing to send the apes into war for the ending of Dawn, and told Steve that the original ending “went one step further”, but he didn’t want to be boxed in. Here’s his full quote:

“We actually did have an ending that went one step further, and I realized late in the game, ‘Wait a minute. I don’t want us to be boxed in in this way. I think we should be left with a more open—knowing that we were going to figure out what the next story is—I didn’t want to in a way narrow our options.’ I wanted to open them up.

What was really most important was to leave you in that emotional space with Caesar, which is the ending of the movie that you’ve seen, and know that the future is coming, but not already be at that future. Because the moment is really about the moment that’s past. It could have been the planet of the humans and the apes, and that parting between Caesar and Malcolm is a very emotional moment to me, and I didn’t want something that distracted and became something else.

So yeah, there actually was another version of the movie, and that version never even got fully realized. We cut it late, but the effects for it weren’t realized for it either.”
Presumably, that conclusion would have actually been the start of the war with an armed force coming to San Francisco since Dreyfus (Gary Oldman) told Malcolm (Jason Clarke) that the military was on their way. There’s also a shot of a warship that was used in an international trailer, but didn’t appear in the finished movie.

“War” will likely be the biggest Apes film yet, and although the title implies that Caesar will have to become a general of sorts, Reeves told us that the next movie “is about him becoming the seminal figure for ape history. [It’s] like myth ascension, him becoming the ape Moses, for lack of a better sort of character to model him after.” Moses isn’t traditionally associated with being a warrior, so I’m not exactly sure what Reeves means by that analogy. Perhaps he means that Caesar will lead the Apes to “the promised land” (i.e. their dominance on Earth) but won’t be able to enter (will he die at the end?). However Reeves chooses to proceed, I can’t wait to see the next chapter in the Apes saga.

War of the Planet of the Apes opens July 14, 2017.
Old 05-14-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: War for the Planet of the Apes (D: Reeves, 7/14/2017) - News, Rumors, Etc.

Seems logical. I liked DAWN but the human characters were such stereotypical archetypes, while the apes were the only ones who showed any range. That really should be fixed for the next installment.
Old 05-14-15, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Does nobody else think that all of these titles with two "of the's" in them are clunky as hell?
Old 05-14-15, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We're seven films in. Precedence has been set. It's too late now.

And no, I don't think it's a problem. I like that they all have the same basic title structure.
Old 05-14-15, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a huge fan of the first two so I'm eagerly awaiting part three. A war is the direction the were headed in the last flick so it only makes sense that the title of the new movie reflects that.
Old 05-14-15, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws
We're seven films in. Precedence has been set. It's too late now.

And no, I don't think it's a problem. I like that they all have the same basic title structure.
We're only 2 films into the new series. Only one film of the original series had the same structure.

Something like "War on the Planet of the Apes" fits with the structure of the original series, conveys the same message, and doesn't read as clunky.
Old 05-14-15, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Personally I'd like "War FOR the Planet of the Apes"
Old 05-14-15, 08:46 PM

That's another one that popped into my head after I posted.
Old 05-14-15, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
We're only 2 films into the new series. Only one film of the original series had the same structure.

Something like "War on the Planet of the Apes" fits with the structure of the original series, conveys the same message, and doesn't read as clunky.
Good point, I'd forgotten. WAR FOR might've been a better choice, but Fox seems determined to keep them formatted this way. It really doesn't matter much to me though.
Old 05-14-15, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if they thought "War for the Planet of the Apes was too reminiscent of "Battle for the Planet of the Apes".
Old 05-14-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

War(huh good God What is it good for? Absolutely nothing) of the Planet of the Apes
Old 05-14-15, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

I really like how they're following the original series to a point, while doing it with completely different details.

For my money Dawn was the 2nd best of ALL the Apes movies, only behind the original. Rise is just below Dawn. I'm willing to bet that War is better than Battle was. A lot better (even though Battle was a lot of fun, it wasn't a great movie, just a fairly good one).
Old 08-25-15, 05:20 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Gabriel Chavarria, the young star of Universal’s upcoming Low Riders, is making his deal now to be one of two human leads in 20th Century Fox’s War Of The Planet Of The Apes, the latest installment of the franchise. Matt Reeves returns to direct, and the pic is shooting for an October start date in Vancouver.

The role is one of two main humans in the cast, much like James Franco’s part in 2011’s Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes. That 2011 film’s sequel, Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, grossed $708M worldwide last year with Reeves at the helm, nearly double the business of the franchise reboot — a major score for Fox and producer Chernin Entertainment.

Chavarria, repped by Paradigm and Momentum, is also the male lead in Hulu’s drama series East Los High. In Low Riders, from Imagine and Blumhouse, he plays an East LA teen immersed in the world of lowrider cars and street tagging while caught between his traditional father (Demian Bichir) and his estranged gangbanger brother, who both are competing in the annual lowrider “Supershow.” His other recent credits include Aquarius, Prime Suspect, Southland and the feature Teacher Of The Year.
http://deadline.com/2015/08/war-of-t...ng-1201504969/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.