Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
36.36%
26.62%
18.18%
9.09%
2.60%
1.30%
1.30%
0.65%
1.30%
0.65%
1.30%
No Mel, no sale!
0.65%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-15, 04:41 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm surprised it wasn't Brian Orndorf - some critics just bash a movie (or praise one) to be different from everyone else.
I've never seen Orndorf as "that guy" based on his reviews. His reviews are typically more thoughtful than most. Was it WALL-E where he was the lone reviewer who hated it? He wasn't totally wrong if that's the one I'm thinking of.

Anyway, since all the MRAs are filled with rage about this flick, I'm going to make an effort to see it next week for sure. Fuck those guys.
Old 05-14-15, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Fuck those guys.
Can't be stressed enough. Though figuratively fuck those guys, as they ain't getting any literally.
Old 05-14-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyM
It looks a lot like other "alpha male" sites I've stumbled upon in the past, so if so, they're hiding it really well.
I'm not a feminist or anything (as far as I know), but the five minutes I spent on such site disgusted me so much that I seriously considered giving up on the whole human race. I'm not getting laid, and you don't hear me pontificating vile misogynist comments about women now, do you? It was truly disgusting and disturbing.
Old 05-14-15, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I'm not a feminist or anything (as far as I know), but the five minutes I spent on such site disgusted me so much that I seriously considered giving up on the whole human race. I'm not getting laid, and you don't hear me pontificating vile misogynist comments about women now, do you? It was truly disgusting and disturbing.
Do you believe women should be treated equally to men?
Old 05-14-15, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuck it. I'm seeing it today. I'm sitting in the theater. Previews start in 6 minutes. I'm excited.
Old 05-14-15, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We now have a 2nd rotten on RT by Mick LaSalle of the SF Chronicle. The blurb of his review:

"Two hours of action scenes that are well crafted and entirely lacking in suspense, and with some clever but fake-looking special effects."

That's quite a feat on the effects considering they were primarily practical.

Still 99% positive out of 149 total.
Old 05-14-15, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by atxbomber
Do you believe women should be treated equally to men?
Um, yes. Of course I do.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 05-14-15 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Um, yes. Of course I do.
You gotta separate the feminists from the feminazis. The former ones want equality, the latter ones think everybody with a dick is a serial rapist.

It's best to just use common sense and not read into it too much
Old 05-14-15, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Fuck it. I'm seeing it today. I'm sitting in the theater. Previews start in 6 minutes. I'm excited.
I hope it's better than Dredd!
Old 05-14-15, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife and I won't be able to see it this weekend, but we're going to maybe try and make it sometime during the week. The Road Warrior is one of my favorite films and all the word of mouth and positive reviews has me looking forward to this more than any movie in a long time.

Um, yes. Of course I do.
You're a feminist.
Old 05-14-15, 09:04 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

the latter ones think everybody with a dick is a serial rapist.
*citation needed
Old 05-14-15, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
*citation needed
more life experience, the roller derby teams my buddy refs for runs the gamut. If you're ever doing a paper and need every possible view on feminism in a small amount of time, I highly recommend the derby. Feminism is awesome, but just like everything, some people take things too far.

Annnnd I totally posted the wrong article link a moment ago, but regardless we're a few subjects off topic at this point.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-14-15 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just saw it tonight, and disappointed there wasn't more of a crowd. The other screens were showing Pitch Perfect 2 and I guess the boyfriends/husbands got trapped into seeing that instead.

Mad Max was amazing. Two hours of vehicular mayhem, action and cinematography that not only managed to honor Road Warrior, but surpass it on all levels. The music, don't get me started. It was all just one big wow. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Tom hardy was perfect as Max, and Charleze was incredible, but Nicholas Hoult's Nuz was my absolute favorite character, who had actual development during the movie. The ideas, the sets, the overall world creation was beyond what most of us are used to seeing on the screen these days. Bring on the next one! (After I catch my breath!)
Old 05-14-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Just got back from seeing it. What a rush! Not in my wildest dreams did I imagine Miller making another Mad Max film as equally great as "The Road Warrior" or even surpassing it. But he did. Hardy is perfectly cast as Max. And Theron kind of stole the movie. She is absolutely amazing. Hands down the best action film I've seen in years.
Old 05-14-15, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Just got back from seeing it. What a rush! Not in my wildest dreams did I imagine Miller making another Mad Max film as equally great as "The Road Warrior" or even surpassing it. But he did. Hardy is perfectly cast as Max. And Theron kind of stole the movie. She is absolutely amazing. Hands down the best action film I've seen in years.
I feel like we've been on a roll with quality R rated action movies lately.
Old 05-14-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 280 Likes on 180 Posts

Wow. Can't believe that actually lived up to the hype. Outside of the new Star Wars, I doubt I'll see a better action movie this year.
Old 05-14-15, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw the movie earlier, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it took a while for me to get immersed in the movie, mainly because I was annoyed that the volume seemed to be too low. For this movie, the audio should obviously be pumping. I shouldn't have had to really focus to make out what people were saying. After maybe 15 minutes, I left the theater to either a) ask someone at the concession stand if the volume could be increased or b) ask for a refund or credit. But I ended up going with option C, sitting at the front of the theater where the volume seemed to be louder.

Have any of you ever asked the theater staff to turn up the volume?
Old 05-14-15, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have, and shitty audio can absolutely ruin a good action movie.
Old 05-14-15, 10:09 PM
Banned

Just came back home from eating dinner w/ my roomie. We saw the film before.

Fuckin' A, mates. That was a badass movie.

Not one goddamn gripe on the film itself. Action was insane. Characters to give a damn about. Not afraid to use the rating it has but doesn't over glorify the rating either. It's an adult movie. No Rated R BS shit to push or shock for the sake of it. It's there and that's it. This is how that world plays.

The designs are fucking crazy awesome. It's just so perverse in a way. Pushes the ugly nature of MM2 to an extreme. Some nature of the world, whether person or action just disgusts you cuz this is a world gone bad.

LOVED Furiosa. I think the reviews overplay how front and center she is. She's the motivating force for the whole plot but Max is still a big deal here. He's there to help once he's in the thick of it. This isn't his mission but he's not one run to away to what now becomes a responsibility, as a person, for him. Max is much better when he's a man of action than words. Telling his personality more for his language and actions. When he talks, it matters. Which is even better when he talks very little cuz you really pay attention to what he says.

The cast is solid. Not a damn fault to any of them. They're all good.

The action. The fucking great action bits. They're so big and so amazing cuz they're real. Very little CGI enhancement. What enhancement there is very good and has purpose to extend or push a visual for the better. This isn't Michael Bay shit here. This is an adult man telling a very much forward moving story. The action tells the plot. And that's great. That's a great mastering of imagery for visual. You can watch this and know the story without sound. That's great storytelling for films of this nature. I'd love for the BD to have a lot of material on the stunts. They were amazing.

Really dug the music. My favorite bit being during the chase when those bike guys start throwing shit. It just felt so good.

The 3D? I'm unsure. It's a PC, so there aren't a lot of good ones for those. Some bits had me reel back cuz since the film is so goddamn fierce that shit just looks like it's going to hit you. There was one bit though where one part was TOO showy of the 3D that it just looked too goofy. I'd pass on the 3D.

The film though has no fat to it. It's massive, strong, and lean. Everything has a purpose. If it needs to take something to move forward, it takes it and makes use of it without bullshitting. I'm amazed it could that story in 2 hours. It's not a kids film. It's a film made for adults. Takes its world seriously. Doesn't care if it's not for you. It just throws you into it w/ enough set up to know where you are in the world and there you are w/ Max.

Pretty much a perfect movie, guys and gals.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 05-14-15 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster
I saw the movie earlier, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it took a while for me to get immersed in the movie, mainly because I was annoyed that the volume seemed to be too low. For this movie, the audio should obviously be pumping. I shouldn't have had to really focus to make out what people were saying. After maybe 15 minutes, I left the theater to either a) ask someone at the concession stand if the volume could be increased or b) ask for a refund or credit. But I ended up going with option C, sitting at the front of the theater where the volume seemed to be louder.

Have any of you ever asked the theater staff to turn up the volume?
Hrmmm. I didn't have that issue. Everything sounded fine to me in my theater.
Old 05-14-15, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 280 Likes on 180 Posts

I think Mission Impossible 5, Spectre, and of course Star Wars: Force Awakens are the only movies this year that could possibly be as entertaining as this was.
Old 05-14-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I gave it 4.5 but don't really know how it could have been any better. It was stunning to watch.

I had a secret desire to see Mel show up though. Movie doesn't need it, just my sentimentality.
Old 05-14-15, 10:37 PM
Banned

I'd love it if Gibson became the baddie in a MM film.
Old 05-14-15, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Just got home after seeing it.

First - I think it's really silly to debate where this movie fits in the franchise's chronology as it's obviously a reboot that pays homage to several different moments from the previous three films.

Second - I think Miller created a really amazing film, but at the same time I kind of agree with the negative review complaining there was not enough Max. This was Charlize Theron's story told through the eyes of Max, and I do feel she was the true star. I wouldn't begrudge anyone for example complaining that Iron Man 3 didn't have enough Iron Man, and in similar fashion I would say the
Spoiler:
V-8 Interceptor
doesn't last more than three minutes.

But I don't want to sound too negative. I think part of the problem is I saw this movie after 30 years of pent-up expectations. Honestly - the three most influential movies from my childhood were Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and The Road Warrior, and I watched all of them continuously. So it's difficult for a new Mad Max movie to live up to that level of hype.

The original Max was sort of a sci-fi take on Eastwood's Man with No Name, who would wander into a town full of people he didn't really care about and offer services where he would benefit. This Max didn't seem clever enough to do that, and, in fact, his services weren't really all that needed as Imperator Furiosa seemed very capable of handling herself.

I did like the take on how "Mad" this version of Max was though. Gibson's Max was subtly hinted to have PTSD, but with Tom Hardy's character it was pretty obvious.
Old 05-14-15, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw it last night.
Wonderful score, cinematography, stunts, costumes and overall realisation of the world.
I wish it had more storyline and character development though.
I didn't go in expecting that as I knew beforehand that it was pretty much a 2 hour action scene, but still.
I kept comparing it to Book of Eli and it also had elements of 300 in there.
4/5 stars for being effective at what it was supposed to be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.