Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
36.36%
26.62%
18.18%
9.09%
2.60%
1.30%
1.30%
0.65%
1.30%
0.65%
1.30%
No Mel, no sale!
0.65%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

I just saw this. Full disclosure: I go to the cinema about once a year. I don't do 3D, 4D, Dolby-whatever. I despise sequels/prequels/remakes/re-boots. That said, I thought this was a fantastic, fun ride.
1. Deep meaning: Don't try and read too much into it regarding any kind of 'message', just sit back and enjoy the mayhem.

2. Minor quibble: I am very perceptive regarding accents, and felt it would have been better if everyone tried to mimic the Aussie accent, instead of having UK and US accents sprinkled in.

3. Editing: If this picture doesn't get the Oscar for best editing, I can't imagine why not.

4. Gingers: The red-head was really, really hot.
That is all. Carry on.
Old 05-29-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I just saw this. Full disclosure: I go to the cinema about once a year. I don't do 3D, 4D, Dolby-whatever. I despise sequels/prequels/remakes/re-boots. That said, I thought this was a fantastic, fun ride.
1. Deep meaning: Don't try and read too much into it regarding any kind of 'message', just sit back and enjoy the mayhem.

2. Minor quibble: I am very perceptive regarding accents, and felt it would have been better if everyone tried to mimic the Aussie accent, instead of having UK and US accents sprinkled in.

3. Editing: If this picture doesn't get the Oscar for best editing, I can't imagine why not.

4. Gingers: The red-head was really, really hot.
That is all. Carry on.

That's Elvis' granddaughter.
Old 05-29-15, 04:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eh. Mad Mad 3 had various accents.
Old 05-29-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That's Elvis' granddaughter.
I just read that on IMDb.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Eh. Mad Max 3 had various accents.
Thunderdome does not exist in my world.
Old 05-29-15, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Deep meaning: Don't try and read too much into it regarding any kind of 'message', just sit back and enjoy the mayhem.
While you aren't wrong, I was actually surprised at the narrative heft the movie had in places. Miller's almost poetic visuals are almost too good for an action movie. Some scenes have a rich color palette and dark beauty. That scene where Max walks out of the sunset has an almost spectral qualify. For an ultraviolent action movie, the style, though madcap, is careful and almost classy. A 70 year-old man and a retired cinematographer have kicked the collective asses of most of the action flicks of the last decade.
Old 05-29-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Finally made it to see this today ... Private screening, no less! I'm going to try to not repeat the things that have already been said.

Let me start by saying, this was a two hour visual orgasm. When it was done I wanted a smoke, a shower, and to do it again.

When I saw Avengers, I told myself it would be my last 3D movie. I found it to be distracting and uncomfortable with the too quick camera movements. I also hate my local movie theaters (typically crappy presentations) and usually will drive out of town or go to movies when I am traveling. That said, I only had time to catch a 3D showing locally. I thoroughly enjoyed this in 3D and will regretfully settle for the 2D when I buy the BR. This was (with the exception mentioned earlier) a benchmark example of how to properly use 3D.

The only mis-step I can think of is one that I may be wrong about. Did each of the previous three films open with narration by a character other than Max? If so, the opening narration should have been done by another character. I think I heard this theory in a podcast review of one of the first three films: with different characters providing the narration, it strengthens the mysterious/legendary qualities of the Max character. This also takes away questions of Max's motivation (are the narrators reliable?) and reinforces whose story it really is.
Old 05-29-15, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
The only mis-step I can think of is one that I may be wrong about. Did each of the previous three films open with narration by a character other than Max? If so, the opening narration should have been done by another character. I think I heard this theory in a podcast review of one of the first three films: with different characters providing the narration, it strengthens the mysterious/legendary qualities of the Max character. This also takes away questions of Max's motivation (are the narrators reliable?) and reinforces whose story it really is.
Only Mad Max 2 opened with a narration. It was narrated by
Spoiler:
the Feral Kid once he was an old man.
Mad Max: Fury Road is the second movie in the franchise to feature an opening narration.
Old 05-29-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Let me start by saying, this was a two hour visual orgasm. When it was done I wanted a smoke, a shower, and to do it again.
I like you, dude, but not that way.
Old 05-29-15, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
While you aren't wrong, I was actually surprised at the narrative heft the movie had in places. Miller's almost poetic visuals are almost too good for an action movie. Some scenes have a rich color palette and dark beauty. That scene where Max walks out of the sunset has an almost spectral qualify. For an ultraviolent action movie, the style, though madcap, is careful and almost classy. A 70 year-old man and a retired cinematographer have kicked the collective asses of most of the action flicks of the last decade.
Well said. The scene at the place of the crows looked like something out of a Tim Burton film.

The only quibble I had was with the night scenes in the desert. These were obviously filmed in daylight and color-timed in post. That's the problem with watching years of DVD/BD extras, everyone's been through 'film school'.
Old 05-29-15, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, some comparison shots:

http://imgur.com/a/zsRVc

They get mixed up half way but you get the idea. The most striking thing is how fantastic this movie looks BEFORE the special effects, and how much better it looks after.

I would have killed to have been on set when:

Spoiler:

happened.

----

I commented to a friend "I'm amazed this got made. It's like they gave a guy $150m to make a late 1980s live action anime." and I still think that, especially the head-on shots of Joe.

Some of it reminded me of Redline, but it was so much cooler seeing it all live action

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2t26m_Q6ENo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by RichC2; 05-29-15 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-29-15, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the movie last night at the drive-in (along with Avengers 2).

So Mad Max isn't set in Australia anymore, or did they explain why the steering wheels were all on the left side of the car?

And I still think that Road Warrior was the best Mad Max movie though this was a very good western, set in the future. Just imagine that the chasers were indians on horses and the semi was a stagecoach, you'll see what I mean.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gdv5EtZQ6jg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-30-15, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Only Mad Max 2 opened with a narration. It was narrated by
Spoiler:
the Feral Kid once he was an old man.
Mad Max: Fury Road is the second movie in the franchise to feature an opening narration.
See, I was wrong. Thanks Rocshemp!

However I love the concept of a series of movies built not around a character, but the myth of the character as seen through different eyes each time. The legendary character would have inconsistencies from movie to movie because the narrators are unreliable.
Old 05-30-15, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just walk away...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lKxUfdv_U00" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-30-15, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
So Mad Max isn't set in Australia anymore, or did they explain why the steering wheels were all on the left side of the car?
Every one of those vehicles is a custom hack job. Maybe there is some in-universe reason why having the wheel on that side made more sense when they were building them.
Old 05-30-15, 02:17 PM
Banned

I love how Miller is. So nice and calm. Seems like a really cool guy. In a little under 2 years, 3 directors directed some movies that DO NOT (for the most part) show how old these men are. Scorsese w/ Wolf on Wall Street and Miller w/ Fury Road. The 3rd director is Eastwood who did some action unlike anything he did w/ American Sniper. Unfortunately the film is a mess but the action didn't show Eastwood's age w/ his direction. Everything else was standard Eastwood direction, it just wasn't

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u9_VxcSHyWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v-xV8A7ZL5w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've seen this film 6 times now. I just fucking love it. It had been bothering me as to who Slip was. I didn't care to check it out till now. It was the guy who played William Stryker in Days of Future Past. He was a lot of fun too.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 05-30-15 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-30-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

This movie was amazing. I felt like a little kid I was having so much fun grinning at the stunts and over-the-top nature of the film. Even as a fan of the original movies, I was impressed at the sheer energy maintained throughout the film, and the creativity displayed in the characters and vehicle monstrosities. The guy whose sole purpose was to be mounted to the front of a rig and play guitar solos was fantastic. Charlize Theron totally stole the show, she was a total badass but also vulnerable enough to be believable, I was really surprised to leave the theater thinking she might just have been the best thing about the movie. George Miller is truly a visionary director, and I would gladly welcome more Mad Max sequels if he's involved.
Old 06-01-15, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

A graphic tale: the visual effects of Mad Max: Fury Road - http://www.fxguide.com/featured/a-gr...max-fury-road/

The pictures on the imgur link are from this, which is a more detailed article and reveal about the effects.
Old 06-01-15, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I finally saw this today... really really enjoyed it but I wouldn't go as far as some of the praise others have said like calling it ground breaking or a game changer or anything. I watched Road Warrior on Saturday for the first time, and Thunderdome this afternoon so those were fresh in my mind. The original Mad Max I saw a few weeks ago as well. I thought the original was pretty boring, Road Warrior was great, and Thunderdome too cheesy and didn't feel like the Max I saw in the first two movies, with the second half of the movie pretty poor.

This definitely felt like the Max from the first two movies, both in character and the movie's style. Just an all around enjoyable and insanely paced movie. I'm in the boat that feels like Max himself wasn't really the lead, but then again I almost felt that way in the first 2 movies too, right down to his sparse dialogue. I also agree with those that felt the world and some of the characters could have been developed a bit better, but i'm not sure if slowing down to try and explain those would have necessarily made this a better movie. Can't think of how another movie could cram a live guitarist and drummers in the middle of a wild car chase, but it sure as hell worked here too

Anyway, loved the amped up style and design of the world and characters over Road Warrior, and just a ridiculously fun 2 hours. I can see why folks are watching it repeatedly, there were some parts of the action that were so hectic and busy that it would be fun to revisit.
Old 06-01-15, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Do I have to watch the previous Mad Maxes in order to understand this film?
Old 06-01-15, 03:31 AM
Banned

All the Mad Max films are stand alone. You don't need any previous one to understand the world. The films give you what you need to understand where you are but all that matters is the now of the narrative.

EDIT: Why do people keep asking if you need to see the previous films to understand this one? The last film was 30 years ago, Mad Max at best has been a cult favorite kind of thing which was not big, and it's a big studio film...I don't think WB could afford the risk of having something w/ a narrative that is a direct connection to a film franchise from 30 years ago expecting moviegoers to watch that. That's ridiculous.

Also appears that some fans have gone to Amazon w/ that product that could make you shiny and chrome.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 06-01-15 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love how Miller is. So nice and calm. Seems like a really cool guy. In a little under 2 years, 3 directors directed some movies that DO NOT (for the most part) show how old these men are. Scorsese w/ Wolf on Wall Street and Miller w/ Fury Road. The 3rd director is Eastwood who did some action unlike anything he did w/ American Sniper.
Or Killer Joe. Another director who's almost 80 making a film about rape, matricide, teenage sex slaves, hit men, strip clubs, and promiscuous women who walk around with no pants on.
Old 06-01-15, 06:42 AM
Banned

Forgot about Friedkin. The feel of it isn't of an old man either. The material the film is based on is one thing but to direct that material is another. Really dug that movie.
Old 06-01-15, 12:10 PM
Banned

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/129314425?color=ff9933&portrait=0" width="700" height="481" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mad Max: Center Framed from Vashi Nedomansky on Vimeo.

Old 06-01-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

As much as "experimenting" with film technique is cool, I'm really starting to appreciate basic concepts in action films. Especially after the chaotic messiness of almost every big budget movie these days.

Spielberg does the same with all his movies, though a few of them he seems to have them noticeably walking toward the center of the frame.
Old 06-01-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/129314425?color=ff9933&portrait=0" width="700" height="481" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mad Max: Center Framed from Vashi Nedomansky on Vimeo.

That's badass!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.