Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Age of Adaline (2015, Lee Toland Krieger) S: Blake Lively, Harrison Ford

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-25-15, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

(Didn't see a thread on "The Age of Adaline" via a search on the title, mods, please merge if there is a previous thread for it.)

I really didn't think Blake Lively could have pulled off the main role of Adaline, a woman who somehow after an accident doesn't age a day afterwards. She has the looks of a woman in her mid-to-late 20s, and does so from the first quarter of the 20th century and into current day. She's seen a lot, and has been on the run all of her life. Lively is quite charming and emotionally accessible, while garnering earned empathy in her approach to the character of Adaline. She's cautious, but not bitter, she accepts her condition and acts to protect those she loves, even at the expense of being without them.

The tone of the film is the selling point of the film for me. There's a sense of loneliness from outliving one's loved ones, and not wanting to get close to people for the same reasons, that pervades the film, but not in a morose manner, but still gets across pangs of existing, but not quite living as if each moment could be your last.

Overall, even with the dramatic overtones as Adaline's past catches up with her in unexpected ways, the film is quite enchanting.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.
Old 05-13-15, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: The Age of Adaline (2015, Lee Toland Krieger) S: Blake Lively, Harrison Ford

Saw this last night with my girl and liked it quite a bit. I enjoyed the little pseudo-sci-fi angles it had going. It was like a junior Highlander flick minus the sword fights and decapitations. Blake did a great job, too.
Old 05-13-15, 12:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The Age of Adaline (2015, Lee Toland Krieger) S: Blake Lively, Harrison Ford

Originally Posted by why so blu?
saw this last night with my girl and liked it quite a bit. I enjoyed the little pseudo-sci-fi angles it had going. it was like a junior highlander flick minus the sword fights and decapitations. Blake did a great job, too.
lol
Old 05-13-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

The Age of Adaline: The Quickening

The Age of Adaline: There can be only one
Old 05-17-15, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I enjoyed this more then I thought I would. I could have done without the science explaining the effect on her, and for some reason the narrator's voice bugged me (maybe too many movies with deeper voices have spoiled me). The editing could have been a little bit better as far as various flashbacks too, but overall it was entertaining if not predictable. Honestly, I liked the little bits of history the most - especially as they see them from present day San Francisco.

Some moments were genuinely sweet for me.
Spoiler:
Namely, her dog dying was tough for me to see as a dog owner, especially her with the dog photo book. Funny that it made her loss as others age around her more real to me instead of people I really liked the moment where she sees the park bench too and sees the younger Ford character holding the ring box.
Old 05-17-15, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I could have done without the science explaining the effect on her, and for some reason the narrator's voice bugged me
Yes, both of these things annoyed me. Also Blake Lively isn't a strong enough actress to fully pull this off.
Old 05-17-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

]I saw this opening weekend and I liked it. It wasn't extremely great, but it was a good take on the topic of immortality. I liked that borrowed different tropes from other movies and TV shows. I liked the borrowed trope of the immortal character having a daughter. I also liked the very brief aspect of
Spoiler:
the blind friend who couldn't see that main character wasn't aging
Old 09-02-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I thought it was OK and I wasn't surprised to see one of the writers also adapted the Nicolas Sparks novel, The Best of Me as there were plenty of "Spark"-isms in this especially the coincidence that
Spoiler:
Adaline as Jenny was dating the son of the man she stood up decades earlier.

Still, it was fine and the performances for the most part were will done. I also found the narration, particularly at the end, to not only be annoying but kind of laughable, taking the audience through step by step what was happening.

***/*****, (C+, 6.2/10, 2.5/4)
Old 12-23-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I finally caught this. I think what few people commented on this, summarized the film quite well. I'd give it a solid/high B.

Lively does really well with her role and consistently imparts sorrow and loneliness from start to finish. The supporting cast does well too. Although aside from Michel Huisman they don't have too much material to work with.

The standout of the film though has to be the director and cinematography. Together they really import a haunted air through the film across all the time periods.

I don't know if this was based on a book, but I had two drawbacks to the film that really kept me from giving it a solid A. First, the sequence of parts of the film felt off. I do understand what one person above said about this being Highlander without swords. One thing Highliander did really well was transitioning scenes between past and present. Plus Lamber sold the scenes as if he was stepping back and having a memory. I found myself believing Adaline had been there when she spoke of past times, but the movie reel felt force, and camping with Harrison Ford's character was actually a memory from his perspective. Probably the best flashback, although brief, was the park bench.

The second issue I had was the narrator. Based on his omnipotent viewpoint it's as if he was from some time in the future. Really took me out of the film at the beginning and end.

Despite this two gripes I did enjoy the film. And oddly despite its near two hour runtime I felt it could have been longer and used the time to show Adaline in the past.