Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animated

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animated

Old 04-22-15, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just breaking now.

Tom Rothman has just announced Phil Lord and Chris Miller are doing a fully animated SPIDER-MAN movie July 20, 2018.

On July 20, 2018, Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, the directors of The Lego Movie, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and 21 and 22 Jump Street, are taking Spider-Man back to his graphic roots with the first-of-its-kind animated Spider-Man feature, it was announced today at CinemaCon by Tom Rothman, chairman of the Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group. The film will exist independently of the projects in the live-action Spider-Man universe, all of which are continuing.

Lord & Miller are masterminding the project, writing the treatment and producing the film.

As previously announced, Spider-Man will next appear in a live-action Marvel film from Marvel’s Cinematic Universe (MCU). Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, a live-action film being produced by Kevin Feige at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. The animated film from Lord & Miller, dated July 20, 2018, has Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach, and Pascal also serving as producers.

Spider-Man, embraced all over the world, is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony Pictures, with the five films having taken in more than $4 billion worldwide.

Last edited by superdeluxe; 04-22-15 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-22-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animated

Jesus, how many projects are Lord and Miller working on? Those guys seem to be working on like 10 different things right now. Maybe they took lessons from Guillermo del Toro.
Old 04-22-15, 10:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animated

This and The Flash? Damn.
Old 04-22-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I really like the idea of a full length animated movie featuring a superhero, but i'm not sure about one featuring Spider-man just a year after the rebooted live action movie.
Old 01-18-17, 02:43 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Sony has announced that its upcoming animated Spider-Man film will focus on Miles Morales and not on Peter Parker. The announcement, made by Sony Pictures Animation president Kristine Belson this morning, confirms months of speculation and rumor about the feature.
http://deadline.com/2017/01/sony-rev...er-1201889037/
Old 04-13-17, 01:26 PM

Spider-Man has found his voice.

Shameik Moore, one of the breakout stars of indie Dope and Netflix's hip-hop drama The Get Down, will voice the Marvel superhero in Sony Pictures Animation's untitled Spider-Man feature project.

The project does not spotlight Peter Parker as the web-swinging wonder but Miles Morales, the popular incarnation introduced in 2011 who is half black, half Latino.

At the same time, Ray Donovan topliner Liev Schreiber is joining the project as the voice of the movie's villain. The character's identity is being kept locked tight.

Phil Lord wrote the project and is executive-producing alongside his Lego Movie and Han Solo movie co-director, Chris Miller.

The Little Prince writer Bob Persichetti is set to co-direct alongside Peter Ramsey (Rise of the Guardians).

Plot details are a secret, but the focus is on Morales as he juggles school life and superheroics in the classic Spider-Man mold.

Morales was created by Brian Michael Bendis and Sara Pichelli and was introduced in 2011 as part of the Ultimate Marvel imprint, which told tales set in an alternate story universe.

Marvel ended the Ultimate imprint in 2015, but Morales by then had made such an impression that he was integrated into the mainstream Marvel line.

The character appeared in Disney XD's animated series Ultimate Spider-Man, where he was voiced by Donald Glover.

Moore, who has wrapped the James Franco-directed drama The Pretenders, is repped by ICM Partners.

Schreiber, a multiple Emmy nominee for his work on Ray Donovan, voices a character in Liongate's My Little Pony: The Movie. He is repped by UTA and Untitled.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...morales-993317
Old 04-13-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Nope.
Myles Morales isn't Spider-man
Old 04-26-17, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Can a mod change the thread title to reflect the new release date?
Old 04-26-17, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

There hasn't been a decent Spiderman movie yet, hopefully this changes that.
Old 04-27-17, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Nope.
you one of those people?
Old 04-28-17, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Nope.
Agreed. This is going to bomb.
Old 04-28-17, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
There hasn't been a decent Spiderman movie yet, hopefully this changes that.
I think most would disagree with you on that. I still think Spider-Man 2 was excellent

I'm surprised that people aren't down with this, I think the getting animated versions of Marvel or DC characters on the big screen sounds awesome.
Old 04-28-17, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Marvel needs to do more animation, no doubt. But they need to do really grand scale stuff that would be difficult to do in an actual movie.
Old 04-29-17, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think most would disagree with you on that. I still think Spider-Man 2 was excellent

I'm surprised that people aren't down with this, I think the getting animated versions of Marvel or DC characters on the big screen sounds awesome.
Agree Spider-Man 2 fricking rules!! Love that movie
Old 04-30-17, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Marvel needs to do more animation, no doubt. But they need to do really grand scale stuff that would be difficult to do in an actual movie.
Well, black Spider-Man in live action.
Old 06-21-17, 02:48 PM

Phil Lord and Chris Miller may no longer be working on the untitled Han Solo movie, but their untitled animated Spider-Man movie is moving right along, as newly-crowned Oscar winner Mahershala Ali and Atlanta star Brian Tyree Henry have joined the voice cast, the Tracking Board has exclusively learned.

Shameik Moore (The Get Down) was tapped to voice Miles Morales, aka Spider-Man, back in April, while Liev Schreiber agreed to bring his recognizable baritone to the villain of the film, whose identity has been kept under wraps.

Insiders tell the Tracking Board that Henry will voice Miles’ detective father, Jefferson Davis, while Ali will voice the larger role of Miles’ uncle, Aaron Davis, who loves his nephew but operates on the wrong side of the law. I wonder what Spider-Man will have to say about that…

Bob Persichetti (The Little Prince) and Peter Ramsey (Rise of the Guardians) will co-direct the animated Spider-Man movie, which Lord wrote, uh, solo, and will produce with Miller. As much as it sucks that those guys aren’t working on Han Solo anymore, it’s good that they have another high-profile project to focus their creative energy on.

Originally created by Brian Michael Bendis and Sara Pichelli, Miles Morales is a half-black, half-Latino teenager who adopts the mantle of Spider-Man after Peter Parker dies. He’s a popular character within the Marvel community, and fans of the Spidey comics have long called for his inclusion in feature films.

Ali won an Oscar for his soulful supporting performance in Moonlight, which also won Best Picture. Coming off a banner year that also included turns in Hidden Figures, Kicks and Free State of Jones, Ali recently wrapped Robert Rodriguez’s Alita: Battle Angel and he’ll soon be seen in the acclaimed Sundance film Roxanne Roxanne. As previously reported, he’s also circling J.C. Chandor’s Triple Frontier, which is coming back together at Netflix.

Since playing Paper Boi on FX’s Golden Globe-winning comedy series Atlanta, Henry’s feature career has blown up. Not only does he co-star alongside Atlanta‘s Lakeith Stanfield in the Sundance-winning drama Crown Heights, but he recently wrapped the Matthew McConaughey film White Boy Rick, and he was just cast in Steve McQueen’s Widows as well as Drew Pearce’s directorial debut Hotel Artemis. Henry’s additional TV credits include Vice Principals, Boardwalk Empire and This Is Us.

Ali is represented by WME, Anonymous Content and attorney Shelby Weiser, while Henry is repped by CAA, JWS Entertainment and attorney Darren M. Trattner.
Old 12-09-17, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Old 12-09-17, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

The characters look a little more cartoony than I’d like but everything else looks good. It should look amazing in 3D!
Old 12-09-17, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

I’m interested and love that they are moving deeper into the Spider-mythology! Don’t know that I needed a trailer more than a year out though.
Old 12-10-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It looks really... choppy?
Old 12-10-17, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It looks really... choppy?
Yup. I don't really like it, tbh.
Old 12-10-17, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Kind of a different animation style. It looks okay and I don’t mind that we’re getting a movie focused on the Miles Morales Spidey. Though it looks like Peter is in this too apparently.
Old 12-10-17, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I like the style.
Old 12-10-17, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

A year away and they’re releasing a trailer now? Wake me up next December.
Old 12-11-17, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Almost looks like a combo of CGI and stop motion? I mean I know it is all animated but why choose the stop motion look to it? Looks very strange and off-putting.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.