Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fate of the Furious (Fast 8) (4/14/17, D: F. Gary Gray) - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Fate of the Furious (Fast 8) (4/14/17, D: F. Gary Gray) - News, rumors, etc.

Old 09-25-15, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: Fast and Furious 8 (4/14/17) - News, rumors, casting, etc.

You would think Universal would be OK with Vin being cautious since he prints money for them. But Hollywood.
Old 09-25-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

After finally seeing Furious 7, I'm wondering what the story can be for 8 to top that one. They threw everything and the kitchen sink into that film.
Old 09-25-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I just hope they scale back the zany shit.
Old 09-25-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I just hope they scale back the zany shit.
Doubtful. The ever-increasing insanity has become the franchise's stock-in-trade. If it doesn't defy physics, it's not like anyone is coming back for the character development.
Old 09-25-15, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Needs more Rock and shit ton less of Dom's sister. I can "tolerate" the other characters that are still there. Sadly... w/ Walker's passing... we may get less of her, so yay?

Saying that... it wouldn't surprise me that somehow they get her to be there again in the shit w/ them. Hopefully not a "I took the kid" type of motivation... but I wouldn't put it past them.
Old 10-01-15, 07:28 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

So a few days after Vin posted that comment on Facebook and said "I will announce the director with my next post" he posted a picture of him, Paul, and FF1 director Rob Cohen. I started to think that he was going after him to direct the next film. It seems my suspicions are true. On the plus side, it does seem that Lin will eventually be back.

From Vin's Facebook, posted 9/30/15

It is no secret that my good friend Justin and I have been very intensely discussing the trilogy, as we have dreamed it for almost a decade. We know that when we re-team we will shock the world. It is also no secret that he is finishing Trek for JJ and won’t be done in time for us to make the date the studio wanted me to announce of April 14th 2017.

This would leave 8 without an obvious go to director…

I will share something crazy that my mother said six months ago after the studio had me announce the date for 8 to the world… “ Either you direct 8 yourself... or don’t do it.” Some of you vinbook pioneers are all too familiar with my mother’s wisdom, as I have posted her sayings in the past on Our page… but I wrote it off as just a mother’s love and belief in me, though she has seen first hand what I've done to make these movies defy expectations and become increasingly successful, even when the studio thought I was crazy... haha.

Back to the matter of 8… First and most importantly is the SCRIPT, which has to be great. Hopefully the writer will deliver something within the next two weeks… before my Witch Hunter press tour begins. There has always been the desire by Paul to have Rob direct one more, this is what fueled my campaign… I believe that he can and would reset the franchise nicely, returning to what was the core of the film in the beginning... racing. He would also handle the Brian O’connor issue with integrity, given that he and David Ayer were the ones who initially created that beloved character in the first place.

Ultimately we all want the best film to honor what we have created and what you the audience has adopted as your favorite franchise. I will leave this matter in the studios hands for a moment while I release The Last Witch Hunter and start production of the long awaited “Xander Returns”.

Again, we make these films with Our hearts.
Old 10-01-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Rob is a competent enough choice. I guess it means Ronda Rousey can return since Cohen is doing the Road House reboot. And it gives Vin another chance at xXx<sup>3</sup>.
Old 10-01-15, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't mind Rob Cohen coming back at all, given the options available with no Justin Lin.
Old 10-01-15, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Rob is a competent enough choice. I guess it means Ronda Rousey can return since Cohen is doing the Road House reboot. And it gives Vin another chance at xXx<sup>3</sup>.
Actually, the third xXx, according to Diesel anyway, is supposed to start filming in December.
Old 10-01-15, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I could see Cohen directing 8, Vin directing 9 and to end the series they bring back Justin Lin for the 10th film.
Old 10-01-15, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Saying that... it wouldn't surprise me that somehow they get her to be there again in the shit w/ them. Hopefully not a "I took the kid" type of motivation... but I wouldn't put it past them.
I could see her being brought back possibly but I doubt they'd do something that had her leaving Walker's character and taking the kid. That wouldn't seem respectful to the character or Walker which I can't see the cast and crew (Diesel in particular) being cool with.
Old 10-01-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

According to Deadline, Cohen isn't happening

Sources say that Diesel has thought about having his old pal Rob Cohen back in the director’s chair, but Deadline was told by sources inside the studio earlier this week that it’s not gonna happen. One of the last posts Diesel put on Facebook was a picture of he and his friend, the late Paul Walker, with Cohen, who directed the first film in the franchise and introduced Diesel to Walker. Cohen, of course, is considered one of the most decent guys in town.

The word around town is that the studio was looking at both Justin Lin (who has directed previous films in the franchise) and James Wan, but because of scheduling conflicts both of those directors wouldn’t work out. Now Deadline is hearing possibly Ericson Core — one of the Furious family (he was a cinematographer on the first Fast And The Furious) — or Louis Leterrier (Now You See Me, Clash Of The Titans, The Incredible Hulk) is being looked at for the gig.
Old 10-01-15, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So anyone but Cohen and Singleton, hmm?
Old 10-05-15, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

October 05, 2015 2:38pm PT by Borys Kit
'Furious 8' Director Search Down to Three Filmmakers (Exclusive)
None of the contenders are named Diesel.

Universal’s Fast and Furious 8’s search for a director has narrowed to three finalists, and none of them have the last name Diesel.

Last week, Furious star Vin Diesel took to his Facebook page and intimated he should direct the latest installment of the billion dollar franchise after efforts to convince Furious 7 director James Wan proved unsuccessful. (Read The Hollywood Reporter’s story about it here.)

Instead, the studio has its eyes on the following, according to multiple sources:

F. Gary Gray, the man behind its surprise commercial and critical hit Straight Outta Compton, who also has Diesel experience, having directed the actor in 2003’s action thriller A Man Apart.

Louis Leterrier, the experienced action man who counts The Incredible Hulk, The Transporter and Now You See Me as his credits.

Adam Wingard, the filmmaker behind cult genre hits such as The Guest and who, like Wan, has a background in horror with movies such as You’re Next and segments of anthology movies The ABC’s of Death and V/H/S 2.

Several sources say that the trio are due to meet with Diesel, who as one of the franchise’s stewards has a say in who directs the movies, and the studio this week.

It should be noted that the meetings could stall with these contenders, leading to a further search. (William Eubank, who co-wrote and directed The Signal, was also a name being floated earlier in the search.) That would not be in Universal’s best interest, since the movie already has an April 14, 2017 release date.
Old 10-05-15, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

‘Fast 8’ Director Search Narrowed Down to Four Finalists
October 5, 2015 | 03:01PM PT
Justin Kroll
Film Reporter @krolljvar

With Justin Lin and James Wan officially moving on from the franchise they helped resurrect and keep afloat, Universal is now ramping up the search for the director of “Fast and Furious 8.”

Sources tell Variety that “Straight Outta Compton” helmer F. Gary Gray, “The Guest’s” Adam Wingard, “Now You See Me” director Louis Leterrier and Will Eubank are among the directors who have met or are meeting for the job. Insiders add that though no frontrunner has emerged, the studio is getting closer to making a choice.

“Furious 7” grossed more than $1.5 billion dollars worldwide, even after having to postpone production following the death of star Paul Walker in a tragic car crash. The franchise is still one of the top priorities at the studio, so Universal will take its time in finding the right person for the job.

The Hollywood Reporter reported two weeks ago that after coming to terms with the fact that Justin Lin (who helmed four installments before leaving the seventh) would not be able to direct as he’s busy on “Star Trek Beyond,” Universal then approached Wan again about directing not just the next installment but the ninth film as well. Sources have confirmed to Variety that the studio did come back to Wan with a very lucrative offer after he had previously passed in order to focus on other projects.

Wan did consider the proposition, but eventually passed, forcing the studio to begin searching for the franchise’s next director. While one source close to the project said that “no stone would go unturned,” the source said it was completely inaccurate that the studio was considering star Vin Diesel to direct, and that the idea had not even been brought up during weekly meetings.

Diesel has sinced commented on his Facebook page and explained the process is ongoing, most recently taking to Instagram to tip Rob Cohen, who helmed the first pic, as a possible candidate.

While production isn’t set to begin until spring 2016, prep is expected to get underway in late October, so settling on a director by then would be ideal.

Gray’s “Compton” was a massive hit that has kept the director in demand since its release. Gray is said to also be a contender to direct “Black Panther” for Marvel.

Wingard also has fans at the studio and while he isn’t currently in production on a film, he is expected to shoot “Death Note” for Warner Bros. next spring, which would conflict with the “Fast and Furious 8” shoot. WB just announced that “Paper Towns” star Nat Wolff was in final negotiations to star, which put more pressure for Wingard to pull his name from the running.

As for Leterrier and Eubank, both options provide something different for the studio if they decide to go that route. Leterrier has more name recognition, having helmed box-office hits like “Now You See Me” and “Clash of the Titans” and would be prepared to handle the baggage that comes with a big-budget production. Eubank’s biggest credit to date is “The Signal,” which was received well by critics and got the attention of studio execs who have since wanted to work with the young helmer, although his relative inexperience with blockbusters may be a roadblock.
Old 10-05-15, 06:13 PM

Gray or Leterrier
Old 10-05-15, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

F. Gary Gray would be great on this. He's done quite a few action movies in the past and has a relationship with Universal.
Old 10-05-15, 06:42 PM

He's the best choice I think. For the reason stated and the fact that he worked with Vin before.
Old 10-05-15, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He directed the remake of The Italian Job, which was a lot of fun and heavily featured cars doing crazy shit.
Old 10-05-15, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk God

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get the job. He seems like a no-brainer among those candidates.
Old 10-05-15, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Gray would be a good fit. That said, Wingard directing would be one of the few ways I would actually go see this in theaters (I loved the hell out of The Guest.)

Louis Leterrier is a terrible director.
Old 10-05-15, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give it to Adam Wingard.

No questions asked. Just do it Universal.
Old 10-06-15, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk God

F. Gary Gray has reportedly agreed to direct Furious 8. He met with Vin tonight and Vin posted the below photo on his Facebook. Vin said he would announce who the next director is on his page.

Spoiler:

http://deadline.com/2015/10/furious-...ng-1201567883/

Gray is expected to negotiate a deal with the studio today according to Deadline.
Old 10-06-15, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Give it to Adam Wingard.

No questions asked. Just do it Universal.
Wingard might actually be distinctive in some way. Gray is riding high on a box office hit, knows car set pieces, is more likely to do exactly what the studio says, and has worked with Diesel before.
Old 10-06-15, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Wingard might actually be distinctive in some way. Gray is riding high on a box office hit, knows car set pieces, is more likely to do exactly what the studio says, and has worked with Diesel before.
Yes, but You're Next and The Guest show that Wingard would be a natural for the set pieces this franchise has to offer.

F. Gary Gray, who is now being reported by THR as directing the film, has pretty much been a director for hire over the past decade with the exception being Straight Outta Compton.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.