Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Twilight of the Mallrats (Mallrats 2) (D: Kevin Smith)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Twilight of the Mallrats (Mallrats 2) (D: Kevin Smith)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I loved Clerks II, but see no reason to revisit this film even though I did enjoy it.
Old 07-27-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Strafe
Yes, I feel the legend of fingercuffs needs to be explored.

Or how about a movie about the girl who died at the begining of "Mallrats" and whose funeral Dante and Randal end up messing up.

Old 07-27-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
Or how about a movie about the girl who died at the begining of "Mallrats" and whose funeral Dante and Randal end up messing up.

Since Rick Derris schtupped that girl, it could be part of some prequel with the two of them.
Old 07-27-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want a Tricia Jones movie. Renee Humphry is hot.

LaFours can show up if he wants to, but only for the first act.
Old 07-27-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 196 Posts
How bout a road trip with Rick Derris, Julie Dwire, and Tricia Jones?
Old 07-27-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know, that'd make me feel weird. Either it is before Mallrats and Tricia is like 13 making her sex notebook or it is after and Julie's a massively decayed corpse. The latter certainly would be interesting...
Old 07-27-06, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
I would love to see a sequel to Mallrats after the hilariousness that was Clerks 2. The only characters that must return are Jason Lee and Ben Affleck, who give two of their best performances ever in the original.
Maybe it's just me, but I thought Affleck was simply awful in Mallrats. I think he was very good in Chasing Amy. I'm not a big fan of his acting in general, but in Mallrats I found it particularly cringe-worthy.
Old 07-27-06, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, but i think we can all agree he was da bomb in Phantoms.

Ben Affleck was nothing more than a secondary character in the movie and i really placed nothing on his actual performance because he is in the movie like what, 10 minutes (if that)?

"Mallrats" is Brodie's movie anyway.
Old 07-28-06, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A) Dear God, please...no Mallrats sequel.

B) Jason Lee's only good performance was in Mallrats? I'm going to assume that the only other Jason Lee movie you've seen is Stealing Harvard. The dude's not exactly a breathtaking actor, but he's had some decent bit parts in quite a few movies that were just as satisfying as his turn in Mallrats, if not moreso.

C) To Calhoun:

Originally Posted by calhoun07
so was he a sell out for making Clerks 2? When did he say that? Perhaps he had no idea where to take the story when he said that at the time, but now that we actually have Clerks 2, I don't see it as a sell out at all. I am actually happy he made it, because if the last movie we got in the "Jersey Trilogy" movies was Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, that would have been a horrible thing. That movie was perhaps more of a sell out (but not really) than Clerks 2 could ever hope to be.

Clerks 2 came at the right time, and wasn't to make money, but to expand on the stories of Dante and Randal. Far from a sell out.
He'd told everybody that he was done with the NJ Chronicles series of films and characters. He wanted to move his career into a different direction to prove that he wasn't a one trick pony. Hence his comments that if he was so bereft of new ideas that he needed to make "Clerks 2," he'd be a sellout. Eventually, circumstances saw that the film was made. However, while it wasn't to make money, it also wasn't really about "expanding on the stories of Dante and Randall." Above all else, it was merely him coming through on a promise to Mewes (the whole," you quit drugs, I'll make another Jay and Bob movie" deal). So, I agree that he's not a sellout...but I disagree with the notion that the film was made because Kevin Smith thought there was more that needed to be said.

-JP
Old 07-28-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nightwing
Maybe it's just me, but I thought Affleck was simply awful in Mallrats. I think he was very good in Chasing Amy. I'm not a big fan of his acting in general, but in Mallrats I found it particularly cringe-worthy.
The best role Affleck can play is that of an asshole, hence his two best roles being in Mallrats and Dazed and Confused. I think when he plays an "everyman" he fails because it just isn't believable.
Old 07-28-06, 03:06 PM

The best role Affleck can play is that of an asshole, hence his two best roles being in Mallrats and Dazed and Confused. I think when he plays an "everyman" he fails because it just isn't believable.
I agree he was good in Dazed. In Mallrats he seemed very stiff and ill and ease to me.
Old 07-28-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
So, I agree that he's not a sellout...but I disagree with the notion that the film was made because Kevin Smith thought there was more that needed to be said.

-JP
I'd agree, but I also think that since he decided to make the movie to uphold his word to Mewes, he did come up with something worthwhile to add to what he had to say with his previous movies.
Old 07-28-06, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
what.. you didnt like him in daredevil?

btw.. i didnt think he sucked in good will hunting
Old 07-28-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff
btw.. i didnt think he sucked in good will hunting
Which was a Kevin Smith movie, so that just prooves the theory that his best work is with Kevin Smith. (Producer credit, but still...)
Old 12-01-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Mallrats would have been much better if you had better actor Jason London instead of the twin, Jeremy London. Jason London was Pink in Dazed & Confused, while Jeremy was the sap on the TV series, Party of Five.

Maybe Jason refused or was committed elsewhere in 1995, so Jeremy got the part, and whoa is me.

as a side note, I'm very glad Jason Mewles was able to keep his part as Jay. I read that the movie studio wanted Seth Green to step into that role, but Kevin Smith balked (and was forced to conduct auditions anyway).
Old 12-01-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about "Green Hornet"?
Old 12-01-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
What about "Green Hornet"?
The script's hanging about with no director attached. At one point John Woo was interested.
Old 03-13-15, 02:12 PM

Received 4,616 Likes on 3,128 Posts
MallBrats (Mallrats 2) (D: Kevin Smith)

It was mentioned in the Clerks III thread, but now it seems official.

Kevin Smith on upcoming film projects:

Saw some websites are reporting CLERKS III will be my last flick. I did say this at one point, but Tusk changed all that. Now, the next 2 years are booked. We shoot CLERKS III in May. The HIT SOMEBODY hockey miniseries finally follows in the fall, shooting September to Christmas 2015. Then in Feb/March 2016, we tackle MOOSE JAWS and ANTI-CLAUS. And after that? I smell a rat...
UPDATE: Kevin Smith took to Rock 102 Mornings with Shmonty & Carolina earlier today to actually CONFIRM that MALLRATS 2 is on the docket. You can check out the whole interview here, but in his own words, he states, "Yeah, that's what we're working on. It's half a script right now and we're pulling our loot together. By the time we get to May 2016 we're gonna be shooting."
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/195669471&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&vi sual=true"></iframe>
Old 03-13-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Mallrats 2 (D: Kevin Smith)

I look forward to all of you guys being disappointed.
Old 03-13-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 328 Likes on 245 Posts

By the time Smith gets to shooting Mallrats 2, there may not be many malls left to shoot it in.
Old 03-13-15, 03:25 PM
Suspended

There's always the dirt malls.
Old 03-13-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,158 Likes on 904 Posts

I'm down to see this but I have to agree that the era of malls is sort of a thing of the past. Not that they don't exist anymore but they aren't as big as they once were. It might be kind of cool to do a film showing a mall that's mostly dead but the guys are still hanging out there. It might also be somewhat depressing though.
Old 03-13-15, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Before some people get in to bad mouthing Kevin Smith on a personal level (as a director--whatever) on this thread, I met him at one of his Q and A s a few weeks ago. He let me take a brief video of him and the audience wishing my dad well after my dad had brain surgery. It was a great morale booster to him and Smith was a real gentleman for letting me do that.

Here:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NMFqeVIBrHE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by PatD; 03-13-15 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-13-15, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,158 Likes on 904 Posts

I sort of went through a period where I disliked him and he still somewhat irritates me at times, but he seems like a pretty cool guy overall.
Old 03-13-15, 05:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking forward to Chasing Amy 2: Still Running.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.