Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

La La Land (2016, D: Chazelle) S: Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

La La Land (2016, D: Chazelle) S: Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
re: La La Land (2016, D: Chazelle) S: Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone

Just got out of a screening of this. Damn good movie, certain elements were reminiscent of The Artist, and a bit of An American in Paris. Music was good and the choreography was solid, use of lighting was great. Another winner for Damien Chazelle.
Old 12-11-16, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Sometimes they don't agree but three very big thumbs up.

Old 12-13-16, 04:05 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HATE musicals... but I really really really liked this one. Emma Stone is amazing. Gosling is ok, his singing is just blah compared to actors like Hugh Jackman

The more I think about it, it's probably one of the best movies I've seen this year.
Old 12-13-16, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'll rent this.
Old 12-17-16, 01:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Just saw it.
Fucking awesome.
Deserves to be seen on a big screen with loud sound.
Old 12-17-16, 02:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Just saw it.
Fucking awesome.
Deserves to be seen on a big screen with loud sound.
I'm not sure if it has be 'loud sound' but the Dolby Atmos mix which I heard yesterday was quite remarkable. I liked it more the second time round, I first saw it back in October at the Middleburg Virginia Film Festival.
Old 12-21-16, 10:42 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

This was great. Definitely a lock for cinematography and editing, IMO.

If you are put off by this being a "musical", I wouldn't worry. There are musical numbers, but there is a long portion of the movie that is just straightforward.
Old 12-21-16, 11:15 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

^ Yeah, looking at the soundtrack, I see
Spoiler:
seven

songs that actually have singing in the movie, and one of those is
Spoiler:
a concert performance in the movie, courtesy of John Legend's character.

(I don't know if those are worth of spoiler tags, but whatever)

I've seen it twice now. And I think I've convinced my wife to see it with me next week while the grandparents are babysitting.

I will say, don't get your hopes up for Gosling's singing abilities. He's... not great... but I think that's part of the charm of the film.

edit: and, just a reminder... this is 2.55:1. If you watch this on a TV, it's going to be tiny.
Old 12-23-16, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I was impressed by this movie and thought that Emma was radiant, but I just didn't really enjoy it and found it just largely predictable and cliched. Really fell flat for me and fell asleep a couple times. Loved the trailers.
Old 12-26-16, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

I just came back from this. I was thoroughly charmed by it. Great chemistry with the leads, obviously. Loved the songs, even if neither actor is a born singer. Stunned by the amazing opening number. Loved the cinematography and all those L.A. locations I knew. Right in my wheelhouse and I really enjoyed the entire movie -- especially the ending. Very different movie than Whiplash though, despite the jazz obsession.
Old 12-26-16, 03:10 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I will say, don't get your hopes up for Gosling's singing abilities. He's... not great... but I think that's part of the charm of the film.
He's not really "bad" either, and luckily he doesn't have to do it too much. It's not like Russell Crowe bad, which really made his scenes in Les Misérables almost unbearable to watch.

Must say I loved this movie quite a bit. I'd be happy to see this get a bunch of Oscar noms. The music and songs are catchy, but not in a surperficial sense. They very much compliment the characters, who I found very charming and likable. Wouldn't mind seeing it again in theaters before it ends its run.
Old 12-26-16, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as he can sing and dance as well as he does below, he is pretty much guaranteed every major acting award.
Old 12-26-16, 01:50 PM

He wasn't bad on the Mickey Mouse Club either (1:32 mark):

Old 12-26-16, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Not a fan of musicals and enjoyed La La Land. Emma Stone has a charm you connect with and Gosling is an everyman leading man. No coincidence he was in the two best movies of 2016 - this and The Nice Guys.

50-50 between La La Land and Manchester for best picture.
Old 12-26-16, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Brack
He wasn't bad on the Mickey Mouse Club either (1:32 mark):

It really is the most remarkable achievement in casting of all time : tasked with bringing in seven new tweens to join the cast of The New Mickey Mouse Club in 1993 for the show's fifth season, they pick four of whom in Christina Agulara, Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake and Ryan Gossling who all, independent of each other, would in the next few years become, not just famous, but iconic superstars who between them have won 26 Grammys and one Oscar nomination (with another two Oscar nods coming next month if you count Timberlake's song from Trolls).
The odds against something like that happening are astronomical.
Old 12-27-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I liked this quite a bit. The opening was a bit too out there for me (and I'm a fan of musicals), but enjoyed Stone and Gosling. Gosling was an adequate singer, which seemed fine for the part, and apparently did play his own piano.

It was such a valentine to old Hollywood, especially
Spoiler:
the fantasy ballet near the end
Old 12-28-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this yesterday. Loved it.

To be honest, the opening scene/song as well as the one that followed it didn't quite grab me. It was after those scenes, the film found its footing with me and had me locked in the rest of the way.
Old 12-29-16, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I liked the film. But I thought what the plot demanded for an ending and what the characters truth was, were 2 different things.

Spoiler:
I thought the ending worked very well for the plot and the whole "what if" sequence was great, but I didn't believe for a second that these 2 people would have given up on each other so easily. She was only gone for 7 months. He couldn't wait that period of time? There aren't jazz clubs in Paris? He couldn't have gone with her and started his club when he got back? I bought that they were madly in love, but I didn't buy for one second that they would give up on eachother on a whim like that. I thought that was more because it worked for the plot. But it didn't work for the characters. At least thats my take.
Old 12-29-16, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I liked the film. But I thought what the plot demanded for an ending and what the characters truth was, were 2 different things.

Spoiler:
I thought the ending worked very well for the plot and the whole "what if" sequence was great, but I didn't believe for a second that these 2 people would have given up on each other so easily. She was only gone for 7 months. He couldn't wait that period of time? There aren't jazz clubs in Paris? He couldn't have gone with her and started his club when he got back? I bought that they were madly in love, but I didn't buy for one second that they would give up on eachother on a whim like that. I thought that was more because it worked for the plot. But it didn't work for the characters. At least thats my take.
Those were my initial thoughts as well, but I thought it was more about how their dreams trumped their relationship. They both wanted what was best for the other, and their relationship was beside the point. They both knew that about one another, which made it more heartbreaking. It was more letting go than giving up, IMO. The specifics are vague and definitely left up to the audience to fill in the blanks.
Old 12-29-16, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Saw this yesterday. Loved it.

To be honest, the opening scene/song as well as the one that followed it didn't quite grab me. It was after those scenes, the film found its footing with me and had me locked in the rest of the way.
I was interested in the film but hadn't planned on seeing it in the theater. Mandy Moore, The film's choreographer, staged a "Dance Medley" on the season finale of "Dancing With The Stars" (where she regularly stages the opening number) with the "City of Stars" waltz leading into the "Someone In The Crowd" party sequence. Her choreography for the party featured a lot of Bob Fosse-esque touches and it was that which got me to decide I should see it in the theater. As it turns out, in the actual cut of the film, the party is mostly obscured or seen through a filter, -the opening scene is the closest to the type of number that was suggested.
Nevertheless, I enjoyed the film.
Old 12-29-16, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes

Spoiler:
I think that you're forgetting that
Spoiler:
by the time she gets that audition, they have already broken up. Yes he reaches out to her and tells her about the audition, but they're not a couple any more. It feels more honest that they would be friendly but not romantic after that. If they had really reunited, it would have felt false -- like because he helped her get her first break in show biz, she felt like she had to take him back. That's not really honest to either of the characters.
Old 12-29-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I think that you're forgetting that
Spoiler:
by the time she gets that audition, they have already broken up. Yes he reaches out to her and tells her about the audition, but they're not a couple any more. It feels more honest that they would be friendly but not romantic after that. If they had really reunited, it would have felt false -- like because he helped her get her first break in show biz, she felt like she had to take him back. That's not really honest to either of the characters.
I also figured that
Spoiler:
he was still under contract to John Legend, and the five-year gap was how long it took for him to fulfill that obligation and start his club. As Decker said, they had already gone their separate ways, and it didn't really matter whether she was in Paris or Colorado. The relationship was strained, and her failed play pushed her over the edge.

I don't know if anyone saw The Last Five Years, but there were some shared thematic elements.
Old 12-29-16, 12:25 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

The movie definitely shares themes with films like Once... The Umbrellas of Cherbourg...Annie Hall... especially the ending.
Old 12-29-16, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Spoiler:
As Decker said, they had already gone their separate ways, and it didn't really matter whether she was in Paris or Colorado.

Spoiler:
NEVADA! Specifically, Boulder City, NV. Just Southeast of Henderson. Don't dis my state like that!
Old 12-29-16, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
The movie definitely shares themes with films like Once... The Umbrellas of Cherbourg...Annie Hall... especially the ending.
I got a strong Annie Hall vibe. Plus some Everyone Says I Love You between the Paris stuff and the floating dance in the planetarium. I think it's safe to say Chazelle was heavily influenced by the Wood-man.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S9UhvpxP1I8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.