Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween (2018, D: David Gordon Green) - from Blumhouse & Carpenter - S: Curtis

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Halloween (2018, D: David Gordon Green) - from Blumhouse & Carpenter - S: Curtis

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-15, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Halloween (TBD) - "Recalibrating" the series

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
He was partially complicit in it it though, didn't he even direct bits of the second film uncredited?
He was co-writer and co-producer on the second film. When the director Rick Rosenthal submitted his cut, Carpenter found the movie not scary. He gave Rosenthal another chance to fix it and he couldn't, so Carpenter did some more editing and filming to "fix" it. He wanted H2 to be the final film with Michael Myers because "slasher" films were a dime a dozen. If any sequels were made they would take place on Halloween and would be different stories.
Old 02-12-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
They did try to do that at first with the third film, but it had a decidedly less than warm reception and was apparently terrible, so they returned to the Michael Myers stuff.
Old 02-12-15, 01:07 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Halloween III is not bad, and a masterpiece compared to the shit that came after it.
Old 02-12-15, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Halloween III is not bad, and a masterpiece compared to the shit that came after it.
I wouldn't go that far - it's fine if you didn't like any others after it but....a masterpiece compared to everything that came after?
Old 02-12-15, 01:57 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by Rival11
I wouldn't go that far - it's fine if you didn't like any others after it but....a masterpiece compared to everything that came after?
Yes, I think it's a pretty good film. And the films that followed it were terrible. I guess H2O is okay, though.
Old 02-12-15, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Halloween III is tremendously underrated in my opinion and I agree that it is the best of the films after the first two. H20 is the only other one that comes close in my opinion even though I like them all to varying degrees. Halloween III suffers from being an entry in the Halloween franchise. If it was just a stand-alone film I think it would have been viewed as a horror cult classic, but the fact that its labeled as being another entry in the franchise it throws a lot of people off and is written off as bad for being different.
Old 02-12-15, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
They did try to do that at first with the third film, but it had a decidedly less than warm reception and was apparently terrible, so they returned to the Michael Myers stuff.
Without Carpenter of course because he refused to go back to Myers and Moustapha Akkad owned the rights.

Old 02-12-15, 02:30 PM
RIP

If I had to rank the films, I'd go like this:

1. Halloween
2. Halloween III
3. Halloween II
4. H2O

Everything else can blow me. But it's not a film that ever needed any sequels. "Halloween" needed a sequel like "Psycho" needed one. Or ANOES. Or TCM. Or Hellraiser.

Oh, fuck you Hollywood.
Old 02-12-15, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Looks like I'm going to have to re-watch III
Old 02-12-15, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I had to rank the films, I'd go like this:

1. Halloween
2. Halloween III
3. Halloween II
4. H2O
You're a man after my own heart, Ed.

To finish your list:

5. H4
6. H6
7. H5
8. H8
9. Zombie's H1
10. Sauteing a dead hobo's dick and eating it
11. Zombie's H2
Old 02-12-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd put H4 above 2 and 3. H2 was a straight, and fairly boring, copy of H1. H3 was pretty good. Then again, I always loved the atmosphere H4 set up right from the beginning.
Old 02-12-15, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about III. If it had no ties to the franchise and was just a John Carpenter film like Prince of Darkness it would've gotten a bit more respect over the years. It's a solid film.
Old 06-15-15, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Halloween Returns will pit a new group of Haddonfield youngsters against Myers. The now 18-year-old child of one of Myers’ victims plays a central role along with the child of a cop whose long been obsessed with Myers’ case, even putting it before his own daughter.

Myers is now on death row and the two kids with their own personal vendettas against the killer sneak in to watch his execution. But when things go awry and Myers escapes, the pair, along with their friends, find themselves in the firing line.
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33...oween-returns/

Casting is apparently underway.

Last edited by invisiblegt; 06-15-15 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Added link to article.
Old 06-15-15, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by islandclaws
10. Sauteing a dead hobo's dick and eating it
This would make a better film than another Halloween.
Old 06-15-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Halloween Returns (TBD) - "Recalibrating" the series

Sounds awful.
Old 06-15-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So is this supposed to be following the continuity of the Zombie films or going back to the original films? The article says its meant to stand alone but I don't see how that makes sense to make it a revenge type film following what happened with Michael Myers and his victims and not follow any of the previous films. If they did it following the original films it would be set before H20 which would be sort of cool. I'm interested depending on how its done.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-15-15 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-15-15, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about we let the Halloween franchise be done with... we can't do that can we?
Old 06-15-15, 11:33 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
How about we let the Halloween franchise be done with... we can't do that can we?
Michael Myers can't die. He's actually a real person who possesses the studio to keep making more movies or he'll kill them all.
Old 06-15-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I want to know why Myers hasn't gone to space yet only to be marooned long enough to kill and end up on Earth 2 to meet Jason for a fight, knock each other out and then allow Freddy to enter their world so we can finally get FJM: The Ultimate Battle
Old 06-15-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I wish it were so, but this guy disagrees.

Old 06-15-15, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
I want to know why Myers hasn't gone to space yet only to be marooned long enough to kill and end up on Earth 2 to meet Jason for a fight, knock each other out and then allow Freddy to enter their world so we can finally get FJM: The Ultimate Battle
Yeah, but they still have to meet Ash.
Old 06-15-15, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
So is this supposed to be following the continuity of the Zombie films or going back to the original films? The article says its meant to stand alone but I don't see how that makes sense to make it a revenge type film following what happened with Michael Myers and his victims and not follow any of the previous films. If they did it following the original films it would be set before H20 which would be sort of cool. I'm interested depending on how its done.
From what I gather, it will essentially operate in the confines of the original franchises continuity. However, it will remain standalone in that it will not lean heavily on any particular elements from said continuity. No Mark of Thorn. No Druidic cult. Just a passing reference to the damage he's done over the years, and then on to the stalking.

The only information to come out of the announcement was that the next Halloween is not a remake, not a reboot, nor is it a re-imagining. In fact, it’s being called a “recalibration.”

While we don’t have any information on what that means, we did get some inside info answering a few questions that have been weighing on the minds of Halloween fans.

Bloody Disgusting can exclusively report that the next Halloween is NOT a remake, and it WON’T follow Rob Zombie’s 2007 remake and its 2009 sequel.
From an earlier article on Bloody-Disgusting. http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33...oween-details/

(Bloody-Disgusting is now also confirming that filming will begin in July, and that Marcus Dunstan, director of The Collector, and writer of multiple Saws and Feasts, will be stepping in as director.)

Last edited by invisiblegt; 06-15-15 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-15-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
From what I gather, it will essentially operate in the confines of the original franchises continuity. However, it will remain standalone in that it will not lean heavily on any particular elements from said continuity. No Mark of Thorn. No Druidic cult. Just a passing reference to the damage he's done over the years, and then on to the stalking.
Honestly if its done right then it could be great. Just keep the first two films and maybe H20 in continuity and fill in the gaps between Halloween II and H20. That's essentially what I suggested earlier in the thread and think if they handle it correct it could be good.
Old 06-15-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The new premise sounds terrible (Myers on death row?), but I really enjoyed THE COLLECTION so I'm hoping Dunstan & Melton can bring it.
Old 06-15-15, 02:05 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

This is the official press release:

HALLOWEEN RETURNS TO THE BIG SCREEN FROM DIMENSION FILMS AND TRANCAS INTERNATIONAL FILMS

New York, NY (June 15, 2015) – Dimension Films and Trancas International Films announced today that production will start in July on the highly anticipated thriller HALLOWEEN RETURNS, which follows notorious killer Michael Myers . Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton the writers behind a number of the SAW films have written the script, which is a terrifying new installment of the classic franchise originated by John Carpenter. Marcus Dunstan will also direct the film. The last big screen performances for Michael Myers were in HALLOWEEN (2007) and HALLOWEEN II (2009). Malek Akkad is set to produce with Matthew Stein as executive producer. The log line is currently being kept under wraps.

“Michael Myers has taken a long break from the big screen and we know fans are eager to see him return. We are excited to be back in business with Trancas and look forward to bringing one of the scariest installments of this classic franchise to audiences worldwide,” said Bob Weinstein, co-chairman The Weinstein Company & Dimension Films.

“The legacy of Halloween is something that Trancas is very proud of, and I look forward to working together again with Bob and Dimension to continue that tradition,” said Akkad.

Dunstan and Melton are repped by Paradigm, Underground’s Trevor Engelson and attorney Dave Feldman.

Overseeing production for Dimension Films are EVP of Production and Creative Affairs, Matthew Signer, SVP of Production and Development and Keith Levine.
http://halloweenmovies.com/2015/06/1...oween-returns/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.