Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017, D: Stahelski) S: Keanu Reeves

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017, D: Stahelski) S: Keanu Reeves

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: John Wick 2 (D: Stahelski) S: Keanu Reeves

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
To me, a prequel is better than an actual sequel. Cuz the guy is retired in the film, he only comes back cuz they fucked his world over. At the end, he get his peace. And walks away w/ the dog. I'd honestly prefer no continuation but since we don't have that... i'll take the lesser of two evils.
I agree.
Old 09-24-15, 02:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I want to see "John Wick v Jack Reacher".
Old 09-25-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, since we aren't getting Dredd II, this is an awfully nice consolation prize.
Old 09-25-15, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
To me, a prequel is better than an actual sequel. Cuz the guy is retired in the film, he only comes back cuz they fucked his world over. At the end, he get his peace. And walks away w/ the dog. I'd honestly prefer no continuation but since we don't have that... i'll take the lesser of two evils.
I mostly agree with this.

However, no matter which way they go I have a feeling they'll try and get too fancy /complex with the plot. The beauty of the first is in its simplicity.
Old 09-26-15, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Well, since we aren't getting Dredd II, this is an awfully nice consolation prize.
I think John Wick made more money. It's all about $$$ not merit.
Old 09-26-15, 04:10 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dredd II, alas....

Anyone know how popular it was on BD/DVD and streaming services?
Old 09-26-15, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My guess would be cult favorite numbers at best. It's not the kind of thing you can manage on a small budget, even in the digital age, I would guess. The first one was $35 million. Not a lot, but probably a lot more than they'd want to justify a sequel to a film with an audience that small. Plus, Urban, not even showing his face, doesn't have much star power. I think it's just a lost cause.
Old 10-06-15, 02:27 PM
Banned

Via Collider, an interview w/ Reeves about JW2:

Collider: I need to ask you about the movie that I’m incredibly excited about, which is the sequel to John Wick, I’ve said again and again how much I loved that fucking movie.

KEANU REEVES: Oh, great. Yeah.

I am anxious and when the CEO of Lionsgate announced that it could be a franchise or a sequel I was very happy, because sometimes Hollywood makes shitty sequels.

REEVES: No, there’s a great pressure. Chad Stahelski, the director, spoke about how there’s one challenge of the first film, but then the second one it’s like the second record, it’s like the “What do you do now?” So yeah, there’s a big concern and we don’t want it to fucking suck. I think we have a really good premise, and it’s an organic premise. It’s basically — to me there’s John Wick and then there’s John. John is the married guy whose wife just died, and that five years of his life. Then there’s John Wick, who’s the mythical assassin. In this, John Wick’s past comes and infiltrates John’s life and John Wick, in a way, has to fight for John.

That’s interesting, because I was gonna say that one of the things that resonates with everyone who has seen the movie is: you don’t fuck with the dog. There’s that emotional connection where everyone is like, “Just kill them all”, based on that. So I guess what I’m saying is, that has a strong emotional resonance, so is there a pressure to top that emotional hit, if you will?

REEVES: I don’t know if it’s to top that emotional hit, but it’s certainly to have an emotional hit. It’s like, “Why tell the story? Why do we need to do this again? How do we do that without doing another dog?” So we speak about it as John Wick the next chapter, and what is that emotional hook? What is that? So I think we have a good idea of that. What’s the next dog? Why does this go on?

One of the things I loved, and everyone loved, was all the stuff at the Hotel Continental. It was like a world within the world and it was just really cool. Is the hotel and that inner world part of the sequel?

REEVES: Yeah. I mean, Chad and the writer, Derek Kolstad, they’ve really listened to what people have enjoyed about the work and how they speak about it. So there’s definitely that influence of the other world, the Continental world — the look, the feel, what is it about the movie, what made people like it — is definitely being payed attention to and the world opens up in this chapter.

Do you know when you’re filming it?

REEVES: We’re scheduled to start at the end of October, maybe. Right now that’s kind of the target date but we’ll see.

But it’s pretty soon.

REEVES: Yeah. Hopefully pretty soon. Yeah.

Are you guys doing New York again?

REEVES: Yeah.

That’s very cool. There’s a lot of cool locations in the city that can be used.

REEVES: Yeah, yeah. We’ve just touched the surface.

One of the things that I really respected about the first one is the different and varied action set pieces. There was a lot of physicality and it didn’t feel like any action set piece was repeating itself, they all seemed different. Is there a challenge in your mind in topping that, and how have you maybe been working with 87Eleven, have you already started on that?

REEVES: Yeah. I started training a couple of months ago. We’re gonna do the same kind of thing in the sense of — what are the guiding principles? So it’s longer takes, know where you are on the space, who’s doing what, action with consequence. And then going to other levels of what the gun-Fu was, which was Jujitsu and Judo mixed with weapons and different styles of weapon training. So we’ve been opening up, I’ve been learning some other tools and different styles of that, and trying to develop some more techniques in terms of Judo and Jujitsu and bring those elements into the work. And then we have some other things that might be a little different.

I like the tease. But I’m also impressed with the fact…

REEVES But it’s all organic. It’s not like all of a sudden John Wick has superpowers, it’s got to be connected to the character. For me it’s character, character, character and for Chad as well, and Derek.

Do you envision this for you as a new franchise? Because the first one was so – I mean critically, people loved it and it did very well, and if the second one performs, is this something that you’re really down with the character, did you think this could be a franchise?

REEVES: No, I still don’t know. I mean, I think for me I’m interested in what happens to the guy and in this world. So when we were speaking about it, obviously it did well enough for the investors to want to do another one, which is cool, and it’s great to have the opportunity to further the story. But we had to come up with a reason why, and we came up with a reason that was good enough, that didn’t suck, and we’re just trying to make it better and better. In terms of a franchise, I don’t know, until you do it and it’s done, you don’t know, because it’s not source material, this is original goodness.

It’s not an IP. It’s nice.

REEVES: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Which is cool because there’s almost nothing you can’t do except just don’t be shitty, and so we’re trying not to be. And if it succeeds hopefully, knock on wood, we get to make a great movie.
Old 10-06-15, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

It's a sequel instead of a prequel. There you have it.
Old 10-07-15, 06:48 AM
Banned

Yep. Really iffy on that idea but I'm on bored either way cuz I want to see wtf they do now.
Old 10-07-15, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why is everyone so worried about the plot and whether it will be a prequel or a sequel? John Wick is still going to shoot people in the face. That's all that matters.
Old 10-07-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Good to hear Though I'd still rather it be about the Continental than Wick himself.
Old 10-07-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Keanu
to me there’s John Wick and then there’s John. John is the married guy whose wife just died, and that five years of his life. Then there’s John Wick, who’s the mythical assassin. In this, John Wick’s past comes and infiltrates John’s life and John Wick, in a way, has to fight for John.
I love the sound of this.
Old 10-08-15, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love how blunt Keanu is. He gets it.
Old 10-08-15, 04:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Why is everyone so worried about the plot and whether it will be a prequel or a sequel? John Wick is still going to shoot people in the face. That's all that matters.
Old 10-08-15, 04:29 PM
Banned

JW had a simple plot but it did it very well. Adding in details and enhancing the history of that world to us. So to me... I do care wtf the plot is. Good action movies w/ a plot to follow are rare. Again... JW's was super simple but it added some fun layers to it.
Old 10-26-15, 09:04 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Common will star opposite Keanu Reeves in John Wick 2, Lionsgate’s sequel to its surprise 2014 action hit.

The first Wick saw Reeves as an ex-hitman who is forced to dole out some retribution when gangsters break into his home, beat him up and kill his dog. He re-enters the tangled underworld of assassins he left behind and shows everyone that’s he’s still not to be trifled with.

Plot details for the new one are being kept muzzled but Common will be the movies’ chief villain, a head of security for a female crime lord.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...r_breakingnews

The Continental, the hotel for assassins, will be open for business in Lionsgate’s John Wick 2.

Ian McShane is set to reprise his role as Winston, the owner of the boutique hotel that caters to hit-person community with its discretion, on-call doctors and no-killing rule. The hotel and its steely-eyed owner, who lethally enforces the rules, proved popular with geek audiences.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-wick-2-834725
Old 10-27-15, 03:16 AM
Banned

Nice.
Old 10-27-15, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's a sequel instead of a prequel. There you have it.
Sounds like it will have elements of both --- "In this, John Wick’s past comes and infiltrates John’s life and John Wick, in a way, has to fight for John."
Old 10-27-15, 12:13 PM
Banned

Not really. We might get some flashbacks but not enough to edge prequel terminology.
Old 10-27-15, 12:57 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

John Wick 2: Woo Who?
Old 10-28-15, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I seriously don't blame people at all for worrying about the plot. You have to understand that this flick was a huge surprise to most and one of the best of its kind in quite some time - so, yeah...naturally people don't want it to get fucked up.
Old 11-09-15, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Joining star Keanu Reeves will be Ruby Rose, who just wrapped up filming Resident Evil: The Final Chapter along with Riccardo Scamarcio and Peter Stormare. They join familiar faces Ian McShane, Common, John Lequizamo, Bridget Monahan, Tom Sadowski, and Lance Reddick, according to Deadline.

The first film followed Wick, a retired hitman who goes after the crew that killed his puppy. The plot for the sequel is being kept secret.

Chad Stahelski, who directed the original, is back to direct and co-produce the sequel.
Peter Stormare just bumped this to Excellent!
Old 11-09-15, 03:33 PM
Banned

Very fucking nice. Nice little Constantine reunion there.
Old 11-23-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Some set photos have been posted - http://entertainment-factor.blogspot...os-videos.html

Most importantly, a dog

A mime? Kill it!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.