Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It Follows (2014, D: David Robert Mitchell) S: Maika Monroe

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

It Follows (2014, D: David Robert Mitchell) S: Maika Monroe

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: It Follows (2014, D: David Robert Mitchell) S: Maika Monroe

Originally Posted by asianxcore
How did everyone interpret

Spoiler:
the scene near the end of the film after the group had taken care of 'it' at the pool. Jay is laying down, there is a shot of family of photo focusing on her father (?) and then (what is to presumed) as 'it' looking like her father, rubbing her lower back?
Wow, I don't remember this scene. I remember going from the pool to the two characters having sex.
Old 03-29-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 947 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieK
The lack of a concrete time period also really messed with my head.
The first thing I noticed was that Jay has an analog TV with rabbit ears in her room. That TV would not pick up a signal nowadays. Then you have the girl with the Kindle-ish clamshell device...
Old 03-29-15, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How did everyone interpret

Spoiler:
the scene near the end of the film after the group had taken care of 'it' at the pool. Jay is laying down, there is a shot of family of photo focusing on her father (?) and then (what is to presumed) as 'it' looking like her father, rubbing her lower back?
pretty sure that was paul not 'it' rubbing her back. i do think the pool 'it' was her father though.

saw this today and thought it was great. a wonderful mixture of NOES, HALLOWEEN, INVASION OF THE BODYSNATCHERS and even BRICK and ELEPHANT. i'm sure this film won't connect with a mainstream audience but it sure worked for me. i already can't wait to watch it again.

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 03-29-15 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-29-15, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
The first thing I noticed was that Jay has an analog TV with rabbit ears in her room. That TV would not pick up a signal nowadays. Then you have the girl with the Kindle-ish clamshell device...
Hopefully the DVD/Blu-ray will have a commentary track that will cover some of these observations. I wonder what movie they were watching on tv.
Old 03-29-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tomopus
hopefully the dvd/blu-ray will have a commentary track that will cover some of these observations. I wonder what movie they were watching on tv.
killers from space
Old 03-29-15, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. After they handle the situatoin, they fuck. Nothing weird going on.
Old 03-29-15, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
Spoiler:
pretty sure that was paul not 'it' rubbing her back. i do think the pool 'it' was her father though.
Ah, alright that makes more sense. I remember the figure face being kind of obscured by the darkness of the room.

Looks like pre-orders for this film are up on Amazon.
Old 03-29-15, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Saw today and liked it, but there was one thing had me wondering...

Now, I'm pretty sure in the opening scene the girl was talking on a cellphone (to her dad) just before she was killed. The rest of the movie seems to imply that this was set in the 70's or 80's at the latest.

Other than that, I dug it. The atmosphere, the use of sound, the cinematography. All 1st rate. I would have bet money that the person who directed this also had directed "The House of the Devil" as it felt very similar in style.
Old 03-29-15, 03:59 PM
Banned

I don't think it implies anything aside from favoring looks and styles from a certain era. It's a world that is controlled by the director to show whatever he feels is right. It's a mixture of the decades. Tech here and there, the clothing, the cars, etc. It's everywhere and yet... it feels fine. He's not dating the film in any use of pop culture but uses an environment of the culture to set the world in. Works really well.

I THINK I've seen films that just mix it all in but I can't think of any.

I dunno wtf Detroit was like in the 1970s or 1980s. But that was modern day Detroit to me, from what imagery I've seen of it. 2 million bucks sure goes a long way when you've got Detroit as your set.
Old 03-29-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Saw today and liked it, but there was one thing had me wondering...

Now, I'm pretty sure in the opening scene the girl was talking on a cellphone (to her dad) just before she was killed. The rest of the movie seems to imply that this was set in the 70's or 80's at the latest.

Other than that, I dug it. The atmosphere, the use of sound, the cinematography. All 1st rate. I would have bet money that the person who directed this also had directed "The House of the Devil" as it felt very similar in style.
clam shell kindles in the 70s or 80s?
Old 03-29-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by solid snake
i don't think it implies anything. It's a world that is controlled by the director to show whatever he feels is right. It's a mixture of the decades. Tech here and there, the clothing, the cars, etc. It's everywhere and yet... It feels fine. He's not dating the film in any use of pop culture but uses an environment of the culture to set the world in. Works really well.

I think i've seen films that just mix it all in but i can't think of any.
brick
Old 03-29-15, 04:03 PM
Banned

It's been way too long since I've seen that one.
Old 03-29-15, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I missed it (as there is a lot of stuff like this in the film) but what was the meaning behind

Spoiler:
Jay's pool in the backyard being completely destroyed late in the film?
Old 03-29-15, 06:45 PM
Banned

Spoiler:
I think Jay just doesn't want to be in or have a pool anymore after what happened
Old 03-29-15, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I missed it (as there is a lot of stuff like this in the film) but what was the meaning behind

Spoiler:
Jay's pool in the backyard being completely destroyed late in the film?
Spoiler:
Loss of her sanctuary. I've thought perhaps the climax is a play on the evil can't cross running water idea, only "it" maybe had an aversion to water in general. I wouldn't be surprised if the characters got the pool idea after Jay witnesses the odd electrical phenomena as Greg is killed. Falling into the pool at the end could have made "it" more vulnerable, thus the blood swirl.
Old 03-29-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Spoiler:
I think Jay just doesn't want to be in or have a pool anymore after what happened
Originally Posted by J. Farley
Spoiler:
Loss of her sanctuary. I've thought perhaps the climax is a play on the evil can't cross running water idea, only "it" maybe had an aversion to water in general. I wouldn't be surprised if the characters got the pool idea after Jay witnesses the odd electrical phenomena as Greg is killed. Falling into the pool at the end could have made "it" more vulnerable, thus the blood swirl.
Thanks!

Spoiler:
Both of those make sense. When I first saw the shot, I thought it was supposed to symbolize a further loss of innocence. Farley you make a great point of the loss of her place of safety & sanctuary.
Old 03-30-15, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Just got back from seeing a matinee.

I don't know. I didn't really like it. I thought the scares were really cheap and obviously this was a low budget independent movie and it showed. The only thing that I really liked was the score. The score made it feel like a retro 80's horror movie. But even then this wasn't really a horror movie, it was more of a supernatural thriller. The story about this "Entity" that somehow attaches itself to people and follows them just didn't really jive with me. There was a lot of build up to things that ultimately led to nothing. For me it felt like I jumped into something without much set up. Maybe I was expecting something a little different.

I like Maika Monroe (I liked her a lot in The Guest) and thought she along with the score were the best parts of the movie. She has a long career ahead of her and I'm sure I'll be seeing a lot more of her in the future.

I liked how the "friend" Paul wanted to

Spoiler:
Help out Jay and have sex with her to free her of the attached ghost.

Yeah sure buddy. That whole thing led to nothing as well.

Worst part was that I somehow paid for a running audio commentary for this movie. 2 film geek knuckleheads sat behind and talked throughout the whole movie and sometimes they were analyzing scenes and shit. WTF??

I'd give this between a C and C-

Last edited by DJariya; 03-30-15 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-30-15, 08:08 PM
Banned

I don't get why the need a set up. You need an origin? I thought we fell into situation pretty well and it rolled along fine.
Old 03-30-15, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Worst part was that I somehow paid for a running audio commentary for this movie. 2 film geek knuckleheads sat behind and talked throughout the whole movie and sometimes they were analyzing scenes and shit. WTF??
I would have turned around and told them to shut the fuck up.
Old 03-30-15, 09:16 PM
Banned

Ditto.

Call them out on that shit. Tell them motherfuckers to stfu. We ain't got time for this shit. To let that shit breed.
Old 03-30-15, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ntfProwNYkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-31-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I liked this a lot. You can tell the budget is low and I found that somewhat distracting but I thought that the storytelling and visuals made up for it. It actually reminded me a lot of House of the Devil. One thing I liked is how the cast actually looked like they were between 18-21 as opposed to them all having receding hairlines.

Not having an origin for it didn't bother me as I was able to fill in the back story in my mind and I think it's an effective approach. I prefer that approach to someone finding out everything they would need to know on Bing.

So does everyone think that
Spoiler:
She had sex with all those guys on the boat?
or not?

Overall I would probably give this a solid 4/5 and I think it's the most original horror film to come out since Cabin in the Woods. I feel like I have to watch it again because it feels like the rare horror movie that encourages multiple watches.
Old 03-31-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
So does everyone think that
Spoiler:
She had sex with all those guys on the boat?
or not?
Yes, and that to me was devastating. To do that just to put off IT for a just a little while longer knowing it wouldn't last. The smash cut to her crying in her car was awful.

I read an article with the director where he alluded to a possible sequel, so I'm sure we'll get some backstory at some point if they go forward. Seems like the BO for the expanded weekend was weak relative to its limited weekend.

Last edited by CharlieK; 03-31-15 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-31-15, 02:43 PM
Banned

I don't want a sequel. This was perfect as it was.
Old 03-31-15, 03:02 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

No sequel. This is what makes it good in my opinion:

It Follows has sparked numerous interpretations from film critics in regard to the source of "it" and the film's symbolism. Director Mitchell stated: "I'm not personally that interested in where 'it' comes from. To me, it's dream logic in the sense that they're in a nightmare, and when you're in a nightmare there's no solving the nightmare. Even if you try to solve it." Some critics have interpreted the film as a parable on AIDS and sexually-transmitted diseases, and tapping into "primal anxieties" about intimacy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.