Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Baby Driver (2017, D: Edgar Wright) S: Elgort, James, Spacey, Bernthal, Foxx, Hamm

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Baby Driver (2017, D: Edgar Wright) S: Elgort, James, Spacey, Bernthal, Foxx, Hamm

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 09:37 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Working Title Films has closed a deal with Tom Rothman’s TriStar and MRC to co-finance Edgar Wright’s next pic, “Baby Driver,” with “The Fault in Our Stars” actor Ansel Elgort in early talks to star.

Sources confirm that Sony will distribute the movie through its deal with TriStar.

Wright, who recently dropped out of Marvel’s “Ant-Man,” will write and direct “Baby Driver,” with Working Title principals Eric Fellner and Tim Bevan producing along with Nira Park through her Big Talk Productions.

Plot follows a talented, young getaway driver who relies on the beat of his personal soundtrack to be the best in the game. But after being coerced into working for a crime boss, he must face the music when a doomed heist threatens his life, love and freedom.

“We’re delighted to be riding shotgun as Edgar Wright takes the wheel of his next film,” Rothman said. “TriStar is in the business of backing original voices, and he is all that. Working Title are great producers and MRC great partners. They and Edgar are making the ultimate rock-and-roll car chase film, and together we’re buckled up and ready to go.”

“Baby Driver” will see a 50/50 financing split between MRC and TriStar, with TriStar handling worldwide distribution.

Working Title has worked with Wright on several films, including his last pic “The World’s End,” and Hollywood has been buzzing about what his next project will be since he exited “Ant-Man” last summer. Rothman has had a long-standing relationship with Wright and fought hard to land the pic.

Sources say talks are in early stages with Elgort, but it looks like a deal will come together after actors including Logan Lerman and John Boyega chased the part.

Elgort, who is repped by CAA, can be seen next in “Insurgent.” Wright is also repped by CAA.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/mr...ve-1201404318/
Old 01-14-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Baby Driver (D: Edgar Wright)

I thought this was the KISS song.
Old 01-14-15, 12:43 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I think Simon and Garfunkel had a song with the title as well.
Old 01-14-15, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The movie is a failure if he doesn't use it. Hell, give Criss a cameo.

Also, hopefully this doesn't blow as much donkey dick as World's End.
Old 01-14-15, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by islandclaws

Also, hopefully this doesn't blow as much donkey dick as World's End.
Shiiiiiiit. World's End was on my Top-10 list of 2013.
Old 01-14-15, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah.... The World's End was fucking good.
Old 05-07-15, 08:42 PM

“Cinderella” star Lily James has found her next big role, landing the female lead in Edgar Wright’s “Baby Driver.”

Negotiations are ongoing, but if a deal closes, she would join Ansel Elgort in the TriStar film.

The story concerns a young, talented getaway driver who relies on the beat of his personal soundtrack to be the best. After being coerced into working for a crime boss, he must face the music when a doomed heist threatens his life, love and freedom.

Wright will write and direct “Baby Driver,” with Working Title principals Eric Fellner and Tim Bevan producing along with Nira Park through her Big Talk Productions.

“Baby Driver” will see a 50/50 financing split between MRC and TriStar, with TriStar handling worldwide distribution.

James was in the spotlight thanks to her part in “Downton Abbey,” but her “Cinderella” role made her leading lady material, with the Disney live-action film having recently crossed the $500 million mark at the worldwide box office.

She is repped by UTA and Tavistock Wood Management.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/li...ht-1201485691/
Old 05-08-15, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The story concerns a young, talented getaway driver who relies on the beat of his personal soundtrack to be the best. After being coerced into working for a crime boss, he must face the music when a doomed heist threatens his life, love and freedom.
This sounds a lot like Drive.
Old 09-09-15, 02:23 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Jamie Foxx is in talks to board Edgar Wright’s Baby Driver opposite Lily James and Ansel Elgort. The film follows a crime boss who coerces a young, talented getaway driver to work for him. Elgort pays the driver, who relies on the beat of his personal soundtrack to be the best. He must face the music when a doomed heist threatens his life, love and freedom.

Wright will write and direct, with his longtime collaborators, Working Title co-chiefs Eric Fellner and Tim Bevan, producing along with Nira Park through her Big Talk Productions. The film is being co-financed by MRC and TriStar, with TriStar handling worldwide distribution.

Foxx is repped by CAA and LBI Entertainment. He is currently filming Baran Bo Odar’s Sleepless Nights, where he stars as a cop with a connection to the criminal underworld scours a nightclub in search of his kidnapped son. The film is based on the 2011 French film Nuit Blanche.
http://deadline.com/2015/09/jamie-fo...le-1201517676/
Old 10-20-15, 07:34 PM

Re: Baby Driver (D: Edgar Wright) S: Ansel Elgort, Lily James

Mad Men” star Jon Hamm is set to join Ansel Elgort and Lily James in MRC and TriStar Pictures’ “Baby Driver,” sources tell Variety. Jamie Foxx has also joined the film.

Edgar Wright is writing and directing, with Working Title principals Eric Fellner and Tim Bevan producing along with Nira Park through her Big Talk Productions.

Details on Hamm’s role are being kept under wraps.

Production is expected to start later this year for a March 17, 2017, release date.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ba...ht-1201579926/
Old 10-20-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: Baby Driver (2017, D: Edgar Wright) S: Ansel Elgort, Lily James

Hamm must be really popular with the brits. Or just super inexpensive.
Old 10-20-15, 10:29 PM
Banned

Maybe he just favors the UK Pussy?
Old 02-24-16, 07:10 AM

EXCLUSIVE: This one ought to play large with the Comic-Con crowd. Edgar Wright has finished casting his film Baby Driver for TriStar and Media Rights Capital, and he has set Jon Bernthal for the key role of Griff. Bernthal, most fondly remembered for The Walking Dead but who also shone recently in a small role in Sicario, joins a great cast. Here’s the cast and what they do: the pic follows a crime boss named Doc (Kevin Spacey), who coerces a young, talented getaway driver known as Baby (Ansel Elgort) to work for him. Baby relies on the beat of his personal soundtrack to shield him from the chaos that surrounds him, but he must face the music when a doomed heist threatens his life, love and freedom. Among Doc’s go-to professionals are Jon Hamm as Buddy the handsome party animal, Eiza Gonzalez as Darling, Buddy’s lawless and scandalous girlfriend and partner in crime, and Jamie Foxx as Bats, the impulsive gun-slinging cohort. Lily James will play Deborah, Baby’s innocent love interest. The film just started shooting in Atlanta.

Wright is directing and wrote the script, and Working Title principals Eric Fellner and Tim Bevan are producing with Nira Park through her Big Talk Productions. Adam Merims is exec producer with Liza Chasin, Michelle Wright, and James Biddle. Leo Thompson will associate produce. Wright has assembled his regular team that includes DP Bill Pope, production designer Marcus Rowland, and editor Paul Machliss. New to his posse is costume designer Courtney Hoffman, and visual effects supervisor Stuart Lashley. Bernthal is repped by WME and Burstein Company.
http://deadline.com/2016/02/jon-bern...ad-1201707849/
Old 02-24-16, 10:09 AM
Banned

re: Baby Driver (2017, D: Edgar Wright) S: Elgort, James, Spacey, Bernthal, Foxx, Hamm

Weird to not have him with Universal. His other films got love from them.
Old 12-23-16, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
re: Baby Driver (2017, D: Edgar Wright) S: Elgort, James, Spacey, Bernthal, Foxx, Hamm

Baby Driver, the new film from Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz director Edgar Wright, stars Ansel Elgort as a getaway driver who attempts to leave the criminal life behind after meeting the girl of his dreams (Lily James). The twist? Elgort’s titular character suffers from tinnitus and the movie’s action is choreographed to the music he plays to drown out the ringing in his ears.

“I always wanted to do an action movie that was powered by music,” says Wright, who also wrote Baby Driver. “It’s something that’s very much a part of my previous films and I thought of this idea of how to take that a stage further by having a character who listens to music the entire time. So, you have this young getaway driver who has to soundtrack his entire existence, particularly the bank robberies and fast getaways that come afterwards.”

Wright explains that Elgort’s character listens to an eclectic array of music as he burns rubber — but the filmmaker declines to go into specifics. “I’ll wait until nearer the time [of release],” says Wright. “You don’t want somebody to go, ‘Oh, that’s a good idea for this advert that comes out three months before!’ It’s quite a wide range of music, though. There’s about 35 songs in the movie and they range from very famous to more obscure. It’s supposed to reflect the character’s extremely eclectic taste in music.”

Baby Driver also stars Jon Bernthal, Eiza González, Jon Hamm, Jamie Foxx, and Kevin Spacey, who plays a crime boss. “He’s amazing,” says Wright of the American Beauty and House of Cards actor. “I had a slight out of body experience, the first day on set with [him]. His first scene was a big monologue scene, and he started doing it, and even though we’d done a table read and we’d rehearsed it, when we were doing a take, I was just completely lost in the moment of him talking. Then I thought, Oh, yeah, I wrote this! [Laughs] I was briefly hypnotized by Spacey — and him spitting out my words was an absolute joy.”

The director of the zombie-filled Shaun of the Dead, the buddy cop-homaging Hot Fuzz, and the alien invasion film The World’s End is no stranger to genre movies. But while those projects had a thick comedic streak, Wright reveals that Baby Driver is designed to shred nerves more than tickle funny-bones. “It’s an action crime film,” says Wright. “It’s funny in places but it’s not a comedy. It gets genuinely tense and threatening. That was actually a fun thing for me — to do dramatic or thriller scenes which just up the ante.”

Baby Driver will be released Aug. 11.
Old 12-24-16, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Originally Posted by islandclaws
Yeah, every time I see this thread title I think of this...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y6uaJ5uQM4c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-24-16, 10:59 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

So this is not a comedy, right?

I'm not too sure about this. His abilities in action filmmaking are entirely from the Michael Bay School. He used to do it as parody, but in World's End he just did it because he could.
Old 12-24-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

The twist? Elgort’s titular character suffers from tinnitus and the movie’s action is choreographed to the music he plays to drown out the ringing in his ears.
Damn. As soon as I read that I started paying attention to my own tinnitus and noticed the rining in my ears that I usually ignore because I'm so used to it! Makes me wonder if I want to see this movie. My ears ring at different pitches from each other, too. Quite annoying when I pay attention to it.
Old 12-24-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,209 Likes on 1,510 Posts

I'm sure that Wright named the film after the KISS song, so it just has to be a part of the soundtrack.
Old 03-11-17, 11:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

This looks great, and some sick driving to go with it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MBoQJlX-cmc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-12-17, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks good. I'll see it at the show.
Old 03-12-17, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm stoked for this. Looks like Flea might get that drag race after all.
Old 03-12-17, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

I thought this was a sequel to Baby Day's Out...very disappointing
Old 03-12-17, 02:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

International Trailer is better:

Old 03-12-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The one thing that is irking the shit out of me is that they're saying this is the "LaLa Land" of char chase movies. How the fuck? Do they break into song and dance while driving? It looks like Baby just listens to music while driving.

Am I missing something? Oh, and I haven't seen LaLa Land yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.