Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Older movies with pop culture references

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-14, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are some of your favorites?

Big Business (1988) - Bette Midler making a John Farnham "You're the Voice" reference.
Horror of the Hungry Humongous Hungan (1991) - Even though listed as released in 1991, most of the movie was filmed in the mid 1980s. Which should explain an out of the blue appearance of a guy dressed as Pee-wee Herman.
Camp Fear (1991) - Random Lambada song and dance included during the back then height of the Lambada dance craze.
Doppelganger (1993) - Jumping a bit late on Enigma's Sadeness, Part I hit bandwagon, the movie features Drew Barrymore at a party dancing at her most erotic to a sensual but bad Enigma rip off tune.

Last edited by hbilly; 12-20-14 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-19-14, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: Older movies with pop culture references

Scary Movie 2-Nike commercial parody

Though I'm sure future generations who watch the movie will look at that scene and go "HUH?"
Old 12-19-14, 11:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

In Duck Soup (1933), Groucho's line about "that's why darkies were born" is actually a reference to a popular song of the time.
Old 12-20-14, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gremlins 2 (1990).
Old 12-20-14, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hbilly
Doppelganger (1993) - Jumping a bit late on Enigma's Sadeness, Part I hit bandwagon, the movie features Drew Barrymore at a party dancing at her most erotic to a sensual but bad Enigma rip off tune.
I have a funny story about that song (Sadness). Last year I'm taking a class at a community college, and I'm walking in the parking lot up to the building. Some dude is driving around looking for an open spot, all windows down, and playing that song full blast. I don't really mind the song, but its not a bumping song.
Old 12-20-14, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by hbilly
What are some of your favorites?

Big Business (1988) - Bette Midler making a John Farnham "You're the Voice" reference.
Horror of the Hungry Humongous Hungan (1991) - Even though listed as released in 1991, most of the movie was filmed in the mid 1980s. Which should explain an out of the blue appearance of a guy dressed as Pee-wee Herman.
Camp Fear (1991) - Random Lambada song and dance included during the back then height of the Lambada dance craze.
Bugs Bunny cartoons from the 1940s are full of references to pop culture of the time: famous celebs, popular songs, wartime rationing, radio shows, and even the powerful head of the musicians union at the time, James Petrillo.

The Looney Tunes cartoon, "Bacall to Arms" (1946), specifically parodies the Warner Bros. movie with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT (1945).

Old 12-20-14, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Bugs Bunny cartoons from the 1940s are full of references to pop culture of the time: famous celebs, popular songs, wartime rationing, radio shows, and even the powerful head of the musicians union at the time, James Petrillo.

The Looney Tunes cartoon, "Bacall to Arms" (1946), specifically parodies the Warner Bros. movie with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT (1945).

As a kid, I had no idea who 90% of the characters were in "Hollywood Steps Out". But it's become quite a fulfilling goal to finally find out who they all are and to see many of the movies that they starred in.

BTW, my 6 year-old self used to always think Sidney Greenstreet was supposed to be Hitchcock in "Slick Hare".
Old 12-20-14, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
As a kid, I had no idea who 90% of the characters were in "Hollywood Steps Out". But it's become quite a fulfilling goal to finally find out who they all are and to see many of the movies that they starred in.

BTW, my 6 year-old self used to always think Sidney Greenstreet was supposed to be Hitchcock in "Slick Hare".
I'm happy to hear that your 6-year-old self knew who Hitchcock was!

As a Baby Boomer, I grew up a time when all the old movies were running constantly on TV, so when we saw cartoons with caricatures from the 1930s and '40s, we knew who they were from seeing all of their movies regularly (e.g. the Marx Bros., W. C. Fields, Mae West, etc.) and some of them were indeed stars who were still acting at the time, e.g. Bacall and Katharine Hepburn ("Reahhhhlly she was!").

On IMDB, when Mickey Rooney died he was identified as the last living caricature from "Hollywood Steps Out."
Old 12-20-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

In Dr. No, Bond does a double take when he sees a painting in Dr. No's lair. It's a famous painting that was stolen for real and made world headlines prior to the film's release. Filmmakers threw it in as an in joke.
Old 12-20-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Wayne's World is replete with these references. "Ah, Nuprin: little, yellow, different".
Old 12-20-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm happy to hear that your 6-year-old self knew who Hitchcock was!
For me, it was actually pretty hard to not know who Hitch was at such an early age. Thanks to the '85 revival of Alfred Hitchcock Presents ("Bang! You're Dead" was my personal favorite)
There was also the un-vaulting of the "Five Lost Hitchcocks" on video which created a LOT of buzz. (I remember my mom renting 3 of them in no time)

On IMDB, when Mickey Rooney died he was identified as the last living caricature from "Hollywood Steps Out."
Maybe you can solve the "Huge feet" gag that was linked to Greta Garbo (It appeared in more than 1 WB toon) I still don't know what that's all about.
Old 12-20-14, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Airplane! and Who Framed Roger Rabbit had lots & lots.
Old 12-20-14, 10:05 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

That was the first thing I thought of - Yosemite Sam yelling, "Open the door! (turns to the camera) Did'ja notice I didn't say 'Richard'?"
Old 12-21-14, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looney Toons cartoons are really my only window into the pop culture of the 1940's. Sometimes I'll stumble upon stuff and be "so that was the reference in that Bugs Bunny cartoon".

I remember stumbling upon Leopold Stokowski and figuring out that's who Bugs dressed up as, and why everyone was saying "Leopold!" in "Long-Haired Hare".
Old 12-21-14, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-21-14, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Nothing also dates a movie faster than cultural references that have completely disappeared in a few years.
Old 12-21-14, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

Maybe you can solve the "Huge feet" gag that was linked to Greta Garbo (It appeared in more than 1 WB toon) I still don't know what that's all about.
She was reputed to have big feet. Here's a letter that discusses this myth:

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/06/20/bo...et-295993.html

And from another link:
One Story: Garbo went into shoe store, asked for some moccasins. Clerk came back with sizes 8 and 9. When moccasins rattled around on her feet, clerk looked disappointed, and said, “I thought you were Greta Garbo.” (The canard about big feet started because Garbo was one of the first women to wear low-heeled shoes. When she had to take off her shoes in As You Desire Me , Erich von Stroheim looked at her feet and said, “I don't think they're as ugly as everyone else does.” Garbo considered this a great compliment, and loved the remark.) MacLeans says actually Garbo wore about 6AA.
Old 12-21-14, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Heathers

"(Paul) Westerberg High"
Old 12-21-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

In the Looney Tunes cartoons, who is the recurring reference to a guy who says, Yes: "Eeeyesss?"
Old 12-21-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
In the Looney Tunes cartoons, who is the recurring reference to a guy who says, Yes: "Eeeyesss?"
Frank Nelson
Old 12-21-14, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Frank Nelson
Awesome! Thanks.