Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-14, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
re: Spider-Man (Marvel Cinematic Universe reboot) (2017)

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Because it could revitalize a flagging franchise by tying it into a hot one.

The better question is why would Marvel want to spread its resources to a character it doesn't fully own the film rights to, when at the point they could probably release a Sleepwalker movie and have it make $250 million.
Because Spider-man, as a complete brand, makes more money for Marvel than anyone I believe. A good film interpretation of him would most likely continue to raise sales across the board. The last thing they want is people to become disinterested in their most popular character.
Old 12-12-14, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, they've had 5 now, I loved one of them (Spidey 2), hated 1 (Spidey 3) and was sort of whatever on two of em (ASM, Spidey 1). Still haven't sat through ASM2, but its name isn't too appealing right now.
Old 12-12-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An idea of how important Spider-man is for Marvel.

Old 12-12-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No rebooting origin story moving forward? Best news ever.

Never saw ASM because I don't give a shit about a reboot a few short years after the original. Needless to say, never saw the sequel either.
Same here.
Old 12-12-14, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't think Garfield was horrible in ASM (never saw ASM2) but replacing him would be no major loss. Sony is deep in the shit these days!
Old 12-12-14, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I fell asleep during ASM1. Won't even bother with ASM2.
Old 12-12-14, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
He was easily the best part of the movies. I thought he was a good Peter Parker.

I'd like to see Marvel's take on it, though.
Agreed on both counts. I really liked Garfield as Parker.
Old 12-13-14, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Agree with the general opinions here... I like AG, but the scripts and direction for him wasn't great (still better than the previous series though, I was never a fan of the first three). And considering Marvel will want a Spidey for 10+yrs, he's already too old at 31.

Spider-man has been the face of Sony for awhile now, I'm not sure if there is any real financial gains for them outside of the films (which if they cost 250m and only make 700m, is not good). At this point, they've had five films...made a lot of good money, but they are clearly stuck now...

Could Disney just write Sony a check for 500m...1billion? Sprinkling him into a few Marvel films will benefit those, and the solo films will be billion dollar movies...plus the theme park/marketing additions....they'd get that $$ back within a few yrs.
Old 12-13-14, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman

Could Disney just write Sony a check for 500m...1billion? Sprinkling him into a few Marvel films will benefit those, and the solo films will be billion dollar movies...plus the theme park/marketing additions....they'd get that $$ back within a few yrs.
I think the Spider-Man theme park license is at Universal. This deal would have no affect on that. And Disney already has use of Spidey for marketing/merchandising. Sony only has rights to the character in movies.
Old 12-13-14, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
They could, but I doubt they will pay that much. Disney/Marvel have the upper hand here because they know Sony has no idea what to do with the property.
Old 12-13-14, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Never saw ASM because I don't give a shit about a reboot a few short years after the original. Needless to say, never saw the sequel either.
I'm not really sure why they felt the need to reboot the franchise, either. They should have just dropped the new actor in without explanation (works for James Bond) and had Spider-Man go up against the Lizard. Really lame decision to reboot and retell the character's origin in the fourth movie in less than a decade while it was still fresh in everyone's minds. Aside from getting bitten by a radioactive spider, Spidey's origin is basically the same as Batman's: Parental figure gets killed, fight crime.
Old 12-13-14, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Spider-man is Marvel, not to have him in the cinematic universe is a shame. Garfield wasn't so bad, I haven't seen 2. Maguire was better in the role, even with 3.
Old 12-13-14, 04:11 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno. Overall... Neither version has done grand justice to the character for me. This is something Marvel has in massive spades. They get their characters. They also get them to make them wildly accessible to all. Raimi's was too whiny. Webb's was too wishy washy in a few things. Sony's Spidey is just a product. Sony has mostly been totally fine w/ getting solid bank coming in but their quality for mainstream films is very very iffy.
Old 12-13-14, 04:37 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sony have really done all they can possibly do with their limited Spidey and Friends rights

Without any other Marvel character rights, it's an endless cycle of same ole same old

Amazing spiderman 1 and 2 weren't bad, but didn't expand or differentiate themselves enough from the previous spiderman movies which were still pretty fresh in everyone's minds

The limited villians are a problem. Sure a few of them are cool, we have already seen depictions of most of the worthwhile ones that Sony has rights too.

Sony should sell the rights back to Marvel
Old 12-13-14, 04:39 AM
Banned

There really isn't a limit of villains. Spidey has a lot of baddies. Like Batman though... a focus is put on the popular ones.
Old 12-13-14, 06:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
An idea of how important Spider-man is for Marvel.

What is the context of those graphs? I would think Batman is licensed more and sells more than Spider-Man.

Just looking at comic books alone, Batman sells a heck of a lot more than Spider-Man. Batman has been used as the base 100 index number for comic sales comparisons for many years because it is always in the top two or three. Really the only time Batman isn't the top sales for a month is whenever a special event is going on since events always top the charts. Spider-Man hasn't even been in the top ten several times. Plus, DC puts out over a dozen Batman related comics a month, and they all sell pretty well. Marvel doesn't pimp Spidey nearly as much as that.
Old 12-13-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Comic sales mean dick. Most of the people buying these products have never read a comic.
Old 12-13-14, 08:03 AM
Banned

I'd also like to get the product context for those graphs. Taffer, what is your source link?

I have a hard time believing that Spidey, as an on the shelf type, product beyond film sells more shit than Bats.
Old 12-13-14, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

If Marvel can wrest creative control of the character, I hope they cast a real 16 yr old in the role.

I think Marvel working out a deal here is absolutely in the realm of the possible and I would give it better than 50/50 odds of happening.
At the moment, Marvel has an awful lot of leverage here - partly due to Sony's enormous clusterfuck of troubles and partly because of how limited Sony's rights really are.
Spider-man isn't really a licensing cash cow for Sony, which is why they are furiously trying to spin off so many other franchises from the property. And all that Sony can merchandise or license, is what is related to the movies they make.
Marvel, OTOH, owns the character and could conceivably flood the market with Spider-man product and licenses and in doing so de-value any future movie licensing...if they wanted to play hardball.

It would very much be in Sony's interest to revert the character back to Marvel for a set number of projects/appearances and get a cut from that. That way they derive income from doing absolutely nothing and with no risk. And they generate good will with the fan base. It would be a win-win for them to cut a deal. Especially now that the hacking/data dump is causing their Japanese overlords to seriously lose face.
Old 12-13-14, 08:34 AM
Banned

We don't need another HS Spidey again. Granted...Raimi's was barely in it but still. How about just make him...*gasp* a man w/ a shitty newspaper job who is juggling the duality of being a masked superhuman freak and normal guy? Instead of a college or HS kid... w/ whatever else he's got going on.
Old 12-13-14, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Because a solo kid in a universe of more adult super-heroes would be distinct and unique.

Just because he would be a teen, doesn't mean the films have to be preoccupied with the typical teenage sturm and drang. Nor would I really want to see much screen time devoted to that stuff. I see it having value more as subtext.
Old 12-13-14, 08:50 AM
Banned

I don't think we need a Spidey in HS again... That'd be 3 times we hit a Spidey in HS. This is Marvel. They make their heroes wildly distinct and unique. That is one thing you cannot criticize on them. Maybe on Thor and Hawkeye you could but they're really good at making their heroes cool. What would be wrong w/ labeling him as a an early twenties guy among these much more adult heroes? Spidey doesn't need school to be to still be the Spidey we know.
Old 12-13-14, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Webb movies don't exist to me so that only makes one HS movie (that he graduates from midway through) with a 25+ yr old playing a teen.

I just don't see anything special about another young adult stud who's a superhero in his spare time. That describes nearly every other character.
Old 12-13-14, 09:11 AM
Banned

Doesn't matter that it exists to you or not. It exists either way.

What's special about having another team of white people saving the day? It can be many things. Spidey doesn't need to be a teen anymore. He can still be the lovably awkward, hardheaded, smart, worrisome, yet sarcastically cocky hero we all know and love w/o being a teen/school kid.
Old 12-13-14, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Comic sales mean dick. Most of the people buying these products have never read a comic.

That wasn't the point of my post. I mentioned in the first sentence that Batman most likely is licensed more and sells more than Spider-Man. Which is why I asked for the context of those graphs.

I hardly ever see Spider-Man related merchandise for sale. Batman is freaking everywhere though. The Arkham video games are hot sellers. When's the last time Spidey had a good selling video game? Or animated series? Everyone loves BTAS, but I hardly ever see anything related to Spidey animated.

I just can't imagine Spidey being bigger than Batman. Batman has been on top pretty much ever since the Tim Burton movies. Which is why I want the context of those graphs because they don't seem accurate at all.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'd also like to get the product context for those graphs. Taffer, what is your source link?

I have a hard time believing that Spidey, as an on the shelf type, product beyond film sells more shit than Bats.
Why are you asking me for the source? I didn't post those graphs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.