Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League Dark (D: ???) -- news, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Exclusive - 'Justice League: Dark' Script In Studio Hands Today

Fans have been wondering about the future of Guillermo del Toro’s cinematic adaptation of the DC Comics series Justice League: Dark, since the project wasn’t included in Warner Bros.’ announcement last month of their upcoming slate of superhero movies. The movie, tentatively titled Dark Universe, has been confirmed as a work in progress since the director confirmed it back in early 2013. Since then, however, we’ve have had to make do with only occasional updates, including word that the movie would exist in its own universe and likely not cross over with the other unified DC cinematic world of Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, and other heroes.. When the series Constantine premiered on NBC this fall, many fans worried it might signal Warner Bros. had changed their minds about pursuing a feature film incarnation of Justice League: Dark (which isn’t a commentary on the show, which is terrific).

Well, thing just took a big leap forward. Today, the completed screenplay for Dark Universe officially went to weekend reads at Warner Bros. The studio’s reactions to the script will be coming back in a few days, and the film could take another step toward production if Warner has a favorable opinion of what they see on the page. The director confirmed the script’s completion and status while I chatted with him about his FX horror series The Strain (watch for that article coming in a few days, dear readers!).
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhugh...o-hands-today/

Not sure if this one will ever materialize, but figured I'd start a movie thread for a discussion on the possibilities. Did a Google search and didn't find a previous one, if someone does, please merge.
Old 11-26-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Dark Universe aka Justice League Dark (20??, D: Del Toro)

Never gonna happen. Just like Cyborg and the GL reboot.
Old 11-26-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd probably give a GL reboot a better chance than this...
Old 11-26-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I love Del Toro and I'd rather see him focus on other stuff because we have plenty of comic book movies coming our way over the next few years. BUT, if it does go forward, I would certainly check it out because I think the Hellboy movies are really good and underrated when it comes to all of the superhero discussion on the interwebz.
Old 11-26-14, 02:10 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I feel like there was a thread for this... can't find it though. If anyone does, let me know and I'll merge.
Old 11-26-14, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. I thought there was one. Granted.... I always think there was one.
Old 11-26-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doing a Google search, there's plenty of mention in other threads (like the regular Justice League, Batman vs. Superman and even Avengers: Age of Ultron), but haven't found a dedicated thread.
Old 01-26-15, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/355...cters-revealed

One of many projects on filmmaker Guillermo del Toro's slate is the film adaptation of the DC Comics "Dark Universe" titles which sport a "Justice League"-style team-up of DC heroes, albeit the more supernatural ones of that comic universe.

Whilst there has been plenty of speculation about the film, we don't know which characters are set to appear in it as yet and casting has yet to begin. Even so, del Toro revealed in November that the script is in so the decision has been made.

Today, El Mayimbe from Latino Review claims that the characters of John Constantine, Zatanna, Brand/Deadman and Jason Blood will make up the group in this first outing.

Naturally, these characters have not been confirmed by the studio as yet. Nor has it been confirmed if the project is part of either the already in progress DC Comics shared cinematic universe, or a rumored separate shared universe featuring only Vertigo Comics titles.

The news comes as NBC's "Constantine," featuring Matt Ryan as John Constantine, has yet to be renewed and its fate is not looking good.
Old 01-26-15, 02:13 PM
Banned

del Toro has mentioned that Swamp Thing would be in it too, no?
Old 06-29-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dark, the adaptation, was to have been directed by Guillermo del Toro, but insiders say the filmmaker, who is working on a sequel to Pacific Rim even as he preps his gothic horror movie Crimson Peak, is no longer attached to the project.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...medium=twitter
Old 06-30-15, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Future DC Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

From Cinemablend:

Despite being announced over over two years ago, progress has been slow on Justice League Dark. Unlike the other officially announced DC films, Warner Bros. hasn’t given the project a release date, and there have been few updates on its progress. Now the film has suffered another major setback with the departure of director Guillermo del Toro.

Included in their report that Vertigo projects (like Sandman) will be released under New Line Cinemas, THR revealed that del Toro is no longer attached to the film. No reason was given for why he left, but the article does mention him being the director of Pacific Rim 2, so it’s possible his busy schedule may have had something to do with it. Unlike del Toro’s other recently vacated film, Silent Hills, Justice League Dark hasn’t been outright cancelled. Instead, Warner Bros. will likely look for another candidate to helm the mystical adventure. Still, this isn’t a good sign for the magical superhero team’s big screen debut.

The last we heard about Justice League Dark’s development, del Toro, who had been attached to the film since January 2013, said that he had turned in a script revision to Warner Bros. However, he seemed less sure about staying onboard, citing time as an issue. This is the second DC film that’s lost its director this year, following Michelle MacLaren leaving Wonder Woman (though she was replaced by Patty Jenkins). It also follows nearly two months after Constantine, another DC project revolving around magic, was cancelled by NBC after only one season.

Little is known on what to expect from the Justice League Dark, which is based on the team introduced in 2011 as part of DC’s New 52 relaunch. Unlike the regular Justice League, this team deals with otherworldly threats that can’t be met by normal superheroes. Several characters we may see as part of the lineup include John Constantine, Zatanna, Deadman, and Etrigan the Demon. Other team members from the comics have included Swamp Thing, Frankenstein, Madama Xanadu, Black Orchid, and Doctor Mist. It was also hinted that Justice League Dark will take place within the DCCU, though this has yet to be confirmed.

Although del Toro won’t be dipping his toes into the magical side of the DC universe, he’ll be keeping himself busy in the near future. His upcoming projects include Pacific Rim 2 and more episodes of the FX series The Strain. You can catch two of del Toro’s films, Crimson Peak and Rings, in theaters later this year.

Now that del Toro is off Justice League Dark, who would you like to see hired as his replacement? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Old 06-30-15, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
re: Dark Universe aka Justice League Dark (D: Liman)

I don't care so much about Justice League Dark, but I'd be interested if Swamp Thing was in it. I'd like an updated Swamp Thing film to be honest although I'm sure its low on the list of characters to make film adaptations of.
Old 09-12-15, 08:57 AM
Banned

Guess I can update this thread....

del Toro is off this fick

via Inquisitor, July 19th:

Justice League Dark, the Justice League team that steps in when magic and the forces of darkness are too powerful for the regular JL, has just seen their film go into official limbo. The Inquisitr reported in June that Guillermo Del Toro was no longer directing the Justice League Dark film, Dark Universe. This is despite the fact that Del Toro has spent two years developing the Justice League Dark film, and handed in a finished script to Warner Bros.

Comicbook reports that the mainstream speculation turned out to be true, and it was a certain sequel that took him off the Justice League Dark project.

“Warners liked the script, they were very enthusiastic and wanted to green-light it but they wanted it to coincide with the shoot of Pacific Rim 2. I was put in a very difficult place facing a difficult choice, and I chose to do Pacific Rim 2.”

Some speculations suggested that it might have been because Del Toro was working on Hellboy III, as Ron Perlman has been hyping the possibility of a third film for the past few months or so. Other speculations seem to suggest that it was a combination of the above and the completion of his new Gothic horror film Crimson Peaks, set to release later this year.

Justice League Dark is a comic book series that has a varying group of mostly magical, but some non-magical, superheroes. It most often consists of John Constantine, Deadman, Madame Xanadu, and Zatanna.

Many fans of the NBC show Constantine have hopes that Matt Ryan will crossover to play the titular role in the magical comic book film adaptation, Dark Universe, which Warner Bros. has planned in the past to include it in the DC Comics film universe.

According to the Daily Beast, Guillermo Del Toro and Hellboy fans are in the same boat as Justice League Dark fans. However, in a vocal poll last year at Comic Con, 6,500 adoring fans cheered at the mere mention of a Hellboy III film.

Though, at this point, the Justice League Dark film seems to have officially been put in comic book film limbo. However, with the desire for such a film growing since the NBC Constantine show and Warner Bros. desire to see Justice League Dark part of the broader DC Comics film universe, it seems like it will only be a matter of time before their magic brings forth a film.

Constantine fans, especially, need to beat the drum and carry the torch for Justice League Dark. They are probably the biggest advocates for it.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/2266279/jus...ytM58dEH16T.99
Which makes it awkward NOW cuz apparently PacRim 2 is delayed now. And that was getting ready but something happened. No word on the whats for the delay.
Old 09-12-15, 09:12 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm so shocked.
Old 09-12-15, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DC does not know what they're doing!!!

Next they will shoehorn Batman into the movie and rename it Batman v Justice League Dark!!!!
Old 09-12-15, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing new. Read about that a couple months ago, guess I forgot to post it, lol.
Old 09-12-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Did everyone miss dthrdrx's post?
Old 09-12-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Did everyone miss dthrdrx's post?
Given the date that I posted that it looks like he left the project sometime at the end of June. By the end of August word is out that WB may be shelving the Man of Steel sequel.

I have a feeling WB has some internal direction problems.
Old 09-12-15, 01:46 PM
Banned

Nobody missed his post. I just had the quote as to the why.
Old 09-12-15, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait, so he is doing Pacific Rim 2? I thought that was recently dead?
Old 09-12-15, 07:06 PM
Banned

Nope. Just "delayed" for now. The movie is supposed to come out on August 4th 2017. There's a Forbes article that alludes that this may be delayed to avoid another TDK vs. Hellboy 2 moment. Being that Nolan has a flick coming out on July 21st, 2017.

del Toro had HB2 come out a week before TDK. And well... nobody did well when TDK released but HB2 took a grand hit from it. 7-11, Nevar forget.

That could be. I can understand Universal wanting to move away from Nolan's flick that year. Nolan is a WB cash cow.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 09-12-15 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-12-15, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Yeah, they'll need to reshuffle the date. Don't go against Nolan or any other "popular" superhero film.
Old 09-12-15, 07:21 PM
Banned

Jesus. And the week after Nolan's film comes out we get hit by the new Spidey film too. That's a bad summer altogether. Wonder Woman, Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (or is it 6?), War of the Planet of the Apes, Nolan's film, Spidey, and then PR2. In that order. Oooof.
Old 09-12-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Jesus. And the week after Nolan's film comes out we get hit by the new Spidey film too. That's a bad summer altogether. Wonder Woman, Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (or is it 6?), War of the Planet of the Apes, Nolan's film, Spidey, and then PR2. In that order. Oooof.
They need to stop fearing the late winter/spring months. If the film is cool folks will show up.
Old 09-12-15, 07:30 PM
Banned

Did PR get a lot of love on BD/DVD?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.