Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Little known but very interesting movie facts.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Little known but very interesting movie facts.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-15, 09:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Little known but very interesting movie facts.

About ten minutes of fully animated footage was cut from The Land Before Time, in order to get a G rating.

Hard to imagine, that producer Albert R. Broccoli offered Burt Reynolds the role of James Bond, which Reynolds turned down .
Old 05-09-15, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the German Theatrical release of The Happening (2008) director M. Night Shyamalan personally toned down (censored) the onscreen violence for German audience. He was afraid Germans couldn't handle the violence in his first ever R-Rated movie. The German Movie Rating Board certified the edited version of The Happening with a "16" rating.
When The Happening was released to DVD/Blu-ray in Germany, it contained the uncensored (R-Rated) version, which also received a "16" rating.
Old 05-09-15, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gene Hackman with some others bought the rights to The Silence of the Lambs with the intention of his directing and playing Hannibal Lecter. After reading the first draft of the script, he decided it was too violent for him and sold his share of the rights.

There was a remake of Kurosawa's Rashomon called The Outrage in 1964, directed by Martin Ritt and starring Paul Newman, Laurence Harvey, Claire Bloom, Edward G. Robinson and William Shatner.
Old 05-09-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
- The score for 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY was Kubrick's temp track for the movie. He actually had an original score written by composer Alex North, but when it came time to premiere the movie, North was surprised that Kubrick left the temp track in (Kubrick hadn't told him he was keeping it). The two men barely spoke to each other again.
Kubrick made the right choice. And seeing this trivia again made me wonder if anyone has created a video syncing Alex North's music with the opening credits to 2001: A Space Odyssey, so a quick search and... Yep!

I found this comparison of the main themes (the well-known theme is 1st, so jump to 1:34 in this video to hear the Alex North version synced to the main titles)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WPE4B_AolT4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(I think Alex North's theme sounds like an outtake from Spartacus or some other sword-and-sandal type movie)
Old 06-02-15, 11:06 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I recently read that in the original script for Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure one of the first historical people that they kidnap was going to be Emperor Charlemagne and Bill and Ted would continually call him Charlie Man Gay. At least once a day I think of it and chuckle.
Old 06-02-15, 09:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
The scene in Candyman where the bees are in Tony Todd's mouth is real.
Ha ha. This reminded me...Nicholas Cage had to eat two cockroaches for that scene in Vampire's Kiss. The little monster wasn't moving around enough in the first take and totally came off as fake.
Old 07-01-15, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Besides extra work, Evangeline Lilly has 8 acting credits. 7 if you include The Hobbit as one credit. Maybe this isn't very interesting but I found this kind of strange for an actress that made a big name for herself over 10 years ago.
Old 07-01-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 984 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
Besides extra work, Evangeline Lilly has 8 acting credits. 7 if you include The Hobbit as one credit. Maybe this isn't very interesting but I found this kind of strange for an actress that made a big name for herself over 10 years ago.
Well for 6 of those 10 years she was on a network television show that filmed in Hawaii. She also had a kid in 2011, so it's not really that strange.
Old 07-01-15, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

^ I wouldn't call Evangeline Lilly a big name either.
Old 07-01-15, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 984 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
^ I wouldn't call Evangeline Lilly a big name either.
It's all relative I guess. She was the female lead on probably the most popular/influential/noteworthy network drama of the previous decade. She may not be a big name in a movie star sense, but she should still be able to find work easily enough.