Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Films which feel longer than they are.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Films which feel longer than they are.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-14, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Films which feel longer than they are.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Given that a substantial number of your fellow DVD Talkers dislike the movie, do you really think it's fair to refer to us that way? I think you know us better than that.

In my personal experience the majority of the people that hated Death Proof were guys who said that it was a film about a bunch of "bitches talking shit." They also didn't like the way Kurt Russell went out - he went out like a "little bitch." I get a bit of that on here. The whole women self-empowerment angle is frowned upon by men, because it's not a shit film.

I'm just pointing out the general consensus of what the underlined dislike are about, because no way in hell is Death Proof a "bad" film. QT is in cable of making a bad film.
Old 11-22-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
In my personal experience the majority of the people that hated Death Proof were guys who said that it was a film about a bunch of "bitches talking shit." They also didn't like the way Kurt Russell went out - he went out like a "little bitch." I get a bit of that on here. The whole women self-empowerment angle is frowned upon by men, because it's not a shit film.
The majority doesn't constitute as everybody, though. I couldn't care less if the entire cast was female, male, or some unknown alien species. It doesn't change the fact that it was boring as hell.
Old 11-22-14, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I hate Death Proof because of the women going on and on and on. It isn't the fact that they are women blabbering on for eternity because I would have hated it just same if it had been Sam Jackson, Tim Roth, John Travolta and David Carradine. The first group of blabbering women was intolerable but then when the second group starting yapping I wanted to drown puppies and kittens. Maybe if the dialogue had been interesting it would have been different.
Old 11-22-14, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by My Other Self
The majority doesn't constitute as everybody, though. I couldn't care less if the entire cast was female, male, or some unknown alien species. It doesn't change the fact that it was boring as hell.
I've been listening to the same dribble since 2007, when it first came out. Hell, that's why Mickey Rourke passed on playing Stuntman Mike, because he didn't like that the women punked, emasculated, and eventually killed SM.
Old 11-22-14, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I hate Death Proof because of the women going on and on and on. It isn't the fact that they are women blabbering on for eternity because I would have hated it just same if it had been Sam Jackson, Tim Roth, John Travolta and David Carradine. The first group of blabbering women was intolerable but then when the second group starting yapping I wanted to drown puppies and kittens. Maybe if the dialogue had been interesting it would have been different.
I was pretty disappointed that Tarrantino made a movie full of people blabbering on and on. It was such a change from his earlier works.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 11-23-14 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-22-14, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I was pretty disappointed that Tarrantino made a movie full of people blabbering on and on. In was such a change from his earlier works.
Old 11-22-14, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i saw The Watchmen in theaters its opening weekend and that movie felt like it was six hours long.
Old 11-23-14, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

I'm just pointing out the general consensus of what the underlined dislike are about, because no way in hell is Death Proof a "bad" film. QT is in cable of making a bad film.
C'mon, do you really think that we on this board aren't clamoring for female empowerment action films? People's specific gripes about DEATH PROOF have been well expressed here, enough to indicate that they're not the gripes of "misogynistic mouth-breathers who hate women." You're entitled to like the film and defend it but condemning those of us who don't share your opinion is frowned on around here. I've done that on internet forums in the past and been called out on it--and rightly so--but I've learned not to do it and why it's unfair.
Old 11-23-14, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Why does Death Proof bother so many people? Is it cuz its essentially female BS whereas we previously had had mostly Male BS?

I loved that film. In whatever form, but do agree the shorter one is best.
The thing I dislike about Deathproof is that it feels like two different movies grafted together. The first act and the second act are completely different. The tone changes, the cinematography changes, even the character of Stuntman Mike changes. The first act is a slow-building suspense piece with stylized direction and features a ruthless and calculating Stuntman Mike. The second act is a voyeuristic, cinema verite piece that has a softer, almost playful, Take on Stuntman Mike. It's a weird way to make a movie and it almost feels like a double feature in its own right.
Old 11-23-14, 07:55 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the change. The cast changes. The first group are their own personality of a group. And the next one is there own beast as well. The first girls play up to Mike's being. The 2nd group, we find out, are not going to tolerate that shit. Which is an amazing transformation for Mike cuz this time he's not in power. The intended victims are.

Aside from that and other stuff...the fucking car chases. So beautiful.
Old 11-23-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Count me as a Death Proof fan. But I do agree that Tarantino's trademark conversation scenes in it go on too long.

However, I think the movie gets better in its longer cut. The additional scenes add a lot to the movie and improve it over the shorter Grindhouse version. If anything, I think they made the wrong choices about what to cut for that version. Leave in the extra scenes from the longer cut and instead trim down the long conversation scenes and the movie would be much better. (If I had the inkling to take the time to do a fan edit, this is what I would do and title it Death Proof: The Thunderbolt Cut ).
Old 11-23-14, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I love movies that feel longer than they really are. Quick and zippy movies have their place too. But I love going in for a good, long experience.
Old 11-23-14, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Bad Boys II
Agreed but I always feel if they dropped the whole bugging the house/rats scene it will feel better.
Old 11-23-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I saw 5 Year Engagement in the theater and it felt like I was watching all 5 years of their engagement.
Old 11-23-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timber
I saw 5 Year Engagement in the theater and it felt like I was watching all 5 years of their engagement.
The Five Year Engagement actually ends its theatrical run on April 27th, 2017.
Old 11-24-14, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Death Proof is one of the very worst movies i have ever seen. It had so many things wrong with it. The women in the movie were all obnoxious and to call the dialogue boring is a compliment. I practically slipped into a coma during this movie. When anyone tries to compliment Zoe Bell on her acting i just laugh. She has a face best suited for Radio and she could not act her way out of a brown paper bag.

The thing is, this movie should have been incredibly cool. You have Kurt Russell playing a speedster driving bad guy and Tarantino directing. Now i have not been a big fan of Taratinos for a long time and still feel that since Pulp Fiction it has been a downhill trajectory, but the guy does make his films look nice and they do tend to have some nice scenes that simply do not add up to the sum of their total.

This is one of the few movies that in refuse to ever re-watch. Just horrible start to finish.
Old 11-24-14, 07:21 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what? Jackie Brown is fucking awesome. Probably his best flick.
Old 11-24-14, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Now i have not been a big fan of Taratinos for a long time and still feel that since Jackie Brown it has been a downhill trajectory...
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
what? Jackie Brown is fucking awesome. Probably his best flick.
Double fix.
Old 11-24-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

C'mon, do you really think that we on this board aren't clamoring for female empowerment action films? People's specific gripes about DEATH PROOF have been well expressed here, enough to indicate that they're not the gripes of "misogynistic mouth-breathers who hate women." You're entitled to like the film and defend it but condemning those of us who don't share your opinion is frowned on around here. I've done that on internet forums in the past and been called out on it--and rightly so--but I've learned not to do it and why it's unfair.
Have you visited some of the dating threads on this board?
Old 11-27-14, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As an examination of fascism, for instance, The Bourne Legacy is kind of interesting in the way in which it zooms out and shows how involved so many people and organizations are. Some without knowing it, and how intricate and complex its web is. Unfortunately, as an action film, it's rather dull and weak, and as a side effect of this theme, it has an unnecessarily complex narrative structure which makes the storytelling less interesting. You can look at things both ways.