Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Toy Story 4 (2019, D: Cooley, A: Hanks, Allen) - News, Rumors

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Toy Story 4 (2019, D: Cooley, A: Hanks, Allen) - News, Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-14, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Toy Story 4 (2017, D: Lasseter, A: Hanks, Allen) - News, Rumors...

I didn't mind Cars. Kids fucking LOVE that movie though. They go apeshit over it.
Old 11-07-14, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I thought the story behind TS 2 was that Pixar was making it direct to video, but when Disney saw how good it was turning out, they boosted it's budget to make it go theatrical.
Old 11-07-14, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I thought the story behind TS 2 was that Pixar was making it direct to video, but when Disney saw how good it was turning out, they boosted it's budget to make it go theatrical.
Isn't there also a story where Lasseter and Co. saw the footage for TS2, thought it was terrible, scrapped the whole thing and started from scratch well into production? I think I heard that on The Pixar Story.
Old 11-07-14, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Isn't there also a story where Lasseter and Co. saw the footage for TS2, thought it was terrible, scrapped the whole thing and started from scratch well into production? I think I heard that on The Pixar Story.
According to Wikipedia:

Disney initially envisioned the film as a direct-to-video sequel. Toy Story 2 began production in a building separated from Pixar, on a small scale, as most of the main Pixar staff were busy working on A Bug's Life (1998). When story reels proved promising, Disney upgraded the film to theatrical release, but Pixar was unhappy with the film's quality. Lasseter and the story team redeveloped the entire plot in one weekend. Although most Pixar features take years to develop, the established release date could not be moved and the production schedule for Toy Story 2 was compressed into nine months.[3][4]
Old 11-07-14, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
And Pixar had so much pride in their work that even as Disney forced their hand to make Toy Story 2 Pixar did it knowing full well that it would not count toward their 4 original picture contractual agreement to Disney.
That last bit isn't correct. Pixar assumed it would count and didn't find out until well into production that it didn't. That led to some strife with Disney.
Old 11-08-14, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I hope Combat Carl somehow returns for Toy Story 4 as he was good in the Halloween short.
Old 11-08-14, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewCrew
I hope Combat Carl somehow returns for Toy Story 4 as he was good in the Halloween short.
Yes, and the Transformer/Voltron-ish guy too. GI Joes and robots were huuuuuge toy genres underrepresented in TS.

Last edited by GuessWho; 11-08-14 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-05-15, 06:11 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Toy Story 3 felt like such a perfect capper to Woody and Buzz’s journey that we couldn’t help but wonder why Pixar felt the need to retread old territory with the upcoming Toy Story 4. But it turns out that’s not what Pixar has in mind at all.

In a new interview, studio president Jim Morris reveals that the next film will take things in a very different direction, which may or may not be continued in future installments. More on the new Toy Story 4 details after the jump.

In an interview for Disney Latino, Morris said although Toy Story 4 picks up after Toy Story 3 left off, it isn’t a continuation of the earlier trilogy. (Note: All quotes below have been translated by Google from Spanish to English, and then edited for clarity by me.) He explained:

The third movie ended in a beautiful way and completed a trilogy. I think this movie is not part of this trilogy. It is a separate story, which in turn I do not know if will be continued. Never begin a project with that in mind.

So what will this separate story be, exactly? Morris offered some vague hints:

It is not a continuation of the end of the story of Toy Story 3. Temporarily it is, but it will be a love story. It will be a romantic comedy. It will not put much focus on the interaction between the characters and children. I think it will be a very good movie.

The romcom angle is a new one for the franchise, but it’s the other reveal that really sets Toy Story 4 apart from previous installments. Woody and Andy’s evolving relationship was a crucial element of the first three Toy Story films. The next film sounds more in the vein of the shorts and specials, in which the toys are mostly left to their own devices.

Morris stated the film is currently around the position of being in its third table read, and says the script is “evolving very well.” He also reiterated that they aren’t making Toy Story 4 for the money, but because they came up with an “irresistible” idea. “The decision to make a second or third [installment] entirely depends on how passionate the director of the project is,” he said.

As previously reported, John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter, and Lee Unkrich dreamed up the story, and Rashida Jones and Will McCormack are writing the script. Jones and McCormack are new to Pixar, but know their way around love stories — they previously scripted the breakup dramedy Celeste and Jesse Forever.

Lasseter is directing Toy Story 4, which is due to be released June 16, 2017.
http://www.slashfilm.com/toy-story-4-details/
Old 03-06-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'm fine with the new film just focusing on the toy characters and not having the human characters. They've always just been secondary characters in the films anyways and Andy's story is wrapped up. Not sure about the love story but it could be okay if its done right. I do tend to agree that three films formed a nice trilogy and I'm not sure we need another sequel but hopefully it turns out good.
Old 08-14-15, 11:45 AM

Bo Peep returns to Toy Story 4

Disney Chief Creative Officer John Lasseter confirmed on Friday what fans have speculated about for the better part of a year: "Toy Story 4" will revolve around a romance between the blockbuster's main character, a toy cowboy voiced by Tom Hanks, and a nursery rhyme doll.

"It's a love story with Woody and—and this is news—Bo Peep," he told CNBC's "Squawk on the Street." Lasseter revealed the plot point last winter but kept the details under wraps.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/14/disne...y-story-4.html
Old 08-14-15, 11:58 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

so Buzz and Jessie for part 5?
Old 10-26-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Announced release date: June 21, 2019
Old 10-26-16, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Huge from me. After three movies and 3-5 shorts/specials all centered around one or more toys being lost or left behind, I am ready for something fresh.
Old 10-28-16, 12:47 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Possibly the greatest film trilogy ever.
Old 10-29-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Possibly the greatest film trilogy ever.
Never though about it like that but I think I agree.
Old 10-29-16, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
re: Toy Story 4 (2019, D: Cooley, A: Hanks, Allen) - News, Rumors

Is it just me, or does it seem like they're pushing this franchise one movie too far?

The last movie addressed the reality of kids outgrowing toys and what happens to those toys as the kids get older. It was poignant and fun all at the same time. It seemed like the perfect ending to the story.

To me, this almost seems like Stallone going back to the well after his last Rambo movie. He thought about it, started preparing a script, and then realized that the last movie was the perfect way to end the series and a new movie just wouldn't live up to that and wouldn't be as fitting an end as that one was. In this case they are going full steam ahead, even though the 3rd movie had that perfect ending to the story.
Old 10-29-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Is it just me, or does it seem like they're pushing this franchise one movie too far?

The last movie addressed the reality of kids outgrowing toys and what happens to those toys as the kids get older. It was poignant and fun all at the same time. It seemed like the perfect ending to the story.

To me, this almost seems like Stallone going back to the well after his last Rambo movie. He thought about it, started preparing a script, and then realized that the last movie was the perfect way to end the series and a new movie just wouldn't live up to that and wouldn't be as fitting an end as that one was. In this case they are going full steam ahead, even though the 3rd movie had that perfect ending to the story.
I'm not a big fan of the series (I like Toy Story 2 the best, find 3 passable if boring and never cared for #1) but I feel like the characters still have some life in them. And frankly that seems to be the thing lacking from most movies these days: Characters you actually give a shit about.
Old 07-14-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

We need a thread title edit :

Toy Story 4 Gets New Director Josh Cooley, John Lasseter Stepping Down

The sequel will hit theaters on June 21, 2019.

Toy Story 4 will be directed by Josh Cooley, with John Lasseter stepping stepping down from the role. Disney and Pixar announced this on stage at the D23 Expo during its animation panel.

Cooley started worked at Pixar as an intern on the original Cars movie, while most recently working as the head of story and writer of Inside Out. John Lasseter, Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios' Chief Creative Officer, is still remaining on the film as an executive producer, explaining, “...I'm going to be working really closely with Josh and his team, mentoring him and teaching him everything I know”

They also showcased a bit of behind the scenes footage, including footage of Jeff Pidgeon, who voices the Aliens, recording the film's very first line of dialogue.

Toy Story 4 was announced back in 2014, along with Lasseter's involvement as director. It was original set for June 2017 release date, before being pushed to June 21, 2019.
Old 01-18-18, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

'Toy Story 4' Finds Its Writer
4:54 PM PST 1/18/2018 by Patrick Shanley

Toy Story 4 has found its writer.

Stephany Folsom, who recently had a feud with Marvel after being denied a "Story by" credit on Thor: Ragnarok, has been tapped to write the script for the upcoming fourth installment of the long-running Pixar franchise, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Rashida Jones was initially attached as writer for the film, along with her writing partner Will McCormack, but she left the project last year. It was initially reported that Jones decided to step away from the project because of unwanted advances from Pixar head John Lasseter, who took a leave of absence following claims of sexual harassment and misconduct, but Jones refuted the reports in The New York Times, saying, "We did not leave Pixar because of unwanted advances. ... We parted ways because of creative and, more importantly, philosophical differences." Jones and McCormack went on to say that Pixar has a "a culture where women and people of color do not have an equal creative voice."

For Folsom, the role as writer on Toy Story 4 is her first major credit. She appeared on The Black List in 2013 for her original screenplay 1969: A Space Odyssey, or How Kubrick Learned to Stop Worrying and Land on the Moon.
Old 01-20-18, 03:44 PM
Cool New Member

I hope It will be a good film
Old 01-20-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
For Folsom, the role as writer on Toy Story 4 is her first major credit. She appeared on The Black List in 2013 for her original screenplay 1969: A Space Odyssey, or How Kubrick Learned to Stop Worrying and Land on the Moon.
What does that mean?
Old 01-20-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
What does that mean?
The Black List is a writing recognition for the best, unproduced screenplays of that year.
Old 01-20-18, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

For some reason I thought this film was deep in production. The previous article from July said this is scheduled for a June 2019 release. But it's just now getting a writer!? No way will this be completed in that short period of time. Hasn't each Disney/Pixar film taken 3-4 years to make?
Old 01-20-18, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
The Black List is a writing recognition for the best, unproduced screenplays of that year.
Yup'. And it looks like the screenplay is about how Stanley Kubrick shot a fake moon landing. I want to see that movie.
Old 11-12-18, 07:53 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Toy Story 4 (2019, D: Lasseter, A: Hanks, Allen) - News, Rumors...

<iframe width="898" height="376" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LDXYRzerjzU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Woody has always been confident about his place in the world and that his priority is taking care of his kid, whether that’s Andy or Bonnie. But when Bonnie adds a reluctant new toy called “Forky” to her room, a road trip adventure alongside old and new friends will show Woody how big the world can be for a toy. Directed by Josh Cooley (“Riley’s First Date?”) and produced by Jonas Rivera (“Inside Out,” “Up”) and Mark Nielsen (associate producer “Inside Out”), Disney•Pixar’s “Toy Story 4” ventures to U.S. theaters on June 21, 2019.
Seems like they got rid of the romcom angle?

Last edited by dex14; 11-12-18 at 10:10 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.