Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
10.53%
27.37%
31.58%
12.63%
7.37%
5.26%
2.11%
1.05%
2.11%
0%
0%
Notsostellar
0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Old 11-07-14, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Just came back from seeing it in IMAX 70mm. I liked it but ultimately felt like Nolan was a bit too ambitious in his vision and the film couldn't quite keep up.

The music mix was also far too loud and Hans Zimmer's score itself was jarring.

Also,
Spoiler:
why wouldn't Mr. Ripley be able to do the docking procedure properly? Wasn't he the leader of the whole Lazarus expedition and ergo, the most experienced?
Old 11-07-14, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
No. It's very far from Prometheus. Did you see it?
You're clearly not familiar with how much of a fan he is of Nolan.
Old 11-07-14, 11:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Just came back from seeing it in IMAX 70mm. I liked it but ultimately felt like Nolan was a bit too ambitious in his vision and the film couldn't quite keep up.

The music mix was also far too loud and Hans Zimmer's score itself was jarring.

Also,
Spoiler:
why wouldn't Mr. Ripley be able to do the docking procedure properly? Wasn't he the leader of the whole Lazarus expedition and ergo, the most experienced?
because unlike say.... Cooper, his skill set isn't in that same region?
Old 11-07-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Messy messy movie. Lame looking robot. Worst Nolan film and I've liked all the movies he has done.
Old 11-07-14, 11:49 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also,
Spoiler:
Tars disabled the auto-docking function. When he asked the system to override the disable twice, the system told him it's unauthorized twice. He then had to manually dock looking through that little window.
Old 11-08-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought the movie was pretty good. The ending .... REALLY reminded me of what was presented, but not explained via dialogue, during the conclusion of 2001.

The real question I had with regards to the end was ...

Spoiler:
the explanation for the 5th dimension Cooper used to contact Murphy. At the time I figured Amelia moved further along in time and the colonies were responsible for it but her last scene pretty much ruled that out. Perhaps it would have been better off not being explained and being viewed as just a function of the black hole itself?
Old 11-08-14, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

I thought it either needed to be shorter or be a mini-series. I'm splitting this one into 4 acts, the 3rd act is a complete wash, the first two were successful and the last one was hit and miss.

The music cues annoyed me because they felt too similar to 2001, and the ending was a little too much a explanation for 2001. Overall, I just wish he didn't try to make it a big budget thriller for that 3rd act, because there was a lot of good material mixed in.

This was one of his most leisurely paced movie and didn't go massively overkill with the over-explaining. He actually managed to get some decent character development out of a few characters this time, but was still trying too hard with the love angle, but for the most part the movie works well. It's also his more or less least complicated movie now, no keeping track of things like in Memento, The Prestige and even Inception. It was tremendously linear for a change.

I give it a 3.5.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-08-14 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-08-14, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Brand is not on Mars. She's on Edmund's planet that Cooper vetoed going to so they could go to Mann's planet.

Yeah, it wasn't Mars but it was Mars-like. As if the planets that they were talking about could have been the ones from our solar system, etc. That planet that Brand was on at the end reminded me of Mars.
Old 11-08-14, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why didn't humanity just live in space stations in our own solar system if Earth was inhospitable? The technology was shown to create very nice looking stations. It seemed rather complicated and dangerous to move us to another galaxy with wormholes, black holes, and whatnot.
Old 11-08-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Also,

Spoiler:
was it ever explained exactly what it was Murphy did to save humanity? I'm sure it was inferred, but I feel I never got an answer.
Old 11-08-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Also,

Spoiler:
was it ever explained exactly what it was Murphy did to save humanity? I'm sure it was inferred, but I feel I never got an answer.
Through the morse code messages she received from Cooper - they solved a shitload of equations about travel - Earth was now able to planet hop.
Old 11-08-14, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I've read about people who've seen the movie, it has become just as polarizing as 2001: A Space Odyssey during its initial release.

Maybe eventual careful multiple viewings of the movie on Blu-ray video release about a year from now and the passage of time may make people appreciate what Nolan achieved a bit more, just like the passage of time has improved the critical appreciation of 2001.
Old 11-08-14, 10:24 AM
Banned

The problem w/ 2001 is that it led you into and you had to be open to whatever you were experiencing. Somehow Interstellar got confusing to people. It isn't hiding anything. It's all right there. Are people not cool w/ scifi talk?
Old 11-08-14, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The problem w/ 2001 is that it led you into and you had to be open to whatever you were experiencing. Somehow Interstellar got confusing to people. It isn't hiding anything. It's all right there. Are people not cool w/ scifi talk?
I don't think Interstellar confused so many people as it just went off on a road they weren't expecting. It really is a straight forward movie, just demonstrates some time/space theories.
Old 11-08-14, 12:21 PM
Banned

Yeah. It's not a confusing movie really.

And based on what some have said about the mix. It does seem like the film got too high w/ its music at times. No way that many theaters fucked up the sound.

There were times where I couldn't almost hear what they were saying. And I missed out one bit of dialogue from Tars.

When they got to the black hole, it was kind of terrifying in a way. The way they showed it, the science they had on it, etc. Was nerveracking especially w/ the sound design.

Essentially this is a love letter to Kubrick's 2001. I wonder how he would jive w/ it? It honors that film well w/ feel, tech, visual, etc.
Old 11-08-14, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just came back from seeing it in IMAX 70mm. I liked it but ultimately felt like Nolan was a bit too ambitious in his vision and the film couldn't quite keep up. The music mix was also far too loud and Hans Zimmer's score itself was jarring. Also, * SPOILER *
That's actually one of the things I like about Nolan. I don't always think he makes great films and think many critics overrate what they find unexpected, but the fact that Nolan is a divisive as he is and is still given such huge budgets to be ambitious is in my opinion to be admired. If two people leave a film having an argument about what something in it meant, I think that's a good thing, especially in an age where it seems like the only remaining job of cinema is thought to be injecting as much dopamine into the audiences' dying brain as possible. How well will time treat Nolan when the dust settles? How will he be thought of in 50 years? Who knows? But for now, he provokes debate and discussion about his films, and IMO, that's admirable. But maybe I'm just a sucker for his flag-waving for celluloid .
Old 11-08-14, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not really. Why do you think Cameron "dumbed down" Avatar? You think if he had made it uber technical the average moron would get it? No way. At least Nolan gets to do what he wants now jargon be damned.
Old 11-08-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And since we're talking about Nolan - Criterion has listed Nolan's Top-10 Criterions:

http://www.criterion.com/explore/191...nolan-s-top-10
Old 11-08-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Spoiler:
So there weren't any aliens, what was it then? Was it some sort of time-loop, the humans trying to lead themselves there? Why was Damon suddenly murder-happy? When he was in the black hole, he was able to perceive time in a way which allowed him to communicate with Murph in the past, but not actually cross over into it? Was he telling himself to stay in an attempt to change things? Why was Caine so duplicitous about Plan A? How did he gain the knowledge necessary to help her complete plan A? How can he encode something so complicated on the skipping second hand? How did Coop get out again? With Plan A as a success, was everything Hathaway did for nothing? Isn't she now a hundred years away? What is here accomplishment?
Spoiler:
1. It was humans. Time is relative. Or something like that. In the same way he was able to leave a message for his daughter, humans in the future were able to communicate with Coop.

2. Damon was worried about surviving. He left false information, hoping that NASA would come to save him.

3. Yes, he could communicate, but could not cross over.

4. Caine was so duplicitous about Plan A because he knew wasn't able to reconcile his plan and was certain there would be no way to save the people on Earth. It'd be near-impossible to find qualified people and convince them to leave their families forever.

5. Morse code. He could have been there for hours or days.

6. Future humans collapsed the time-dimensional rift-thing and sent him back to Saturn through a wormhole. The highly Saturn space station (or Cooper Station) was apparently developed to stay near the opened wormhole.

7. Hathaway's character found the research station on the habitable planet. Time is moving much slower on her planet. 75-or-whatever years went by on Earth/Coop Station. It appeared that only hours or days went by where she was at. They will now have the details and colonize the planet. Coop went at the end to meet with her.
Old 11-08-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Enjoyed this a lot, thought it got better as it went along, didn't even mind the long run time, in fact I thought it helped it quite a bit with its ambitious plot.

Definitely a multi rewatch candidate

Loved the voice of tars as well...
Old 11-08-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
Yup. Humans that had evolved into the fifth dimensional beings - we can't perceive them so it wouldn't make any sense to show them. Arguable plothole in how they evolved to that point but since time is seen as an object, arguably modifiable objects in the past can change things and the plague destroying their crops likely came from it.

Damon thought he was ready to give up his life, but decided not really. He wanted to survive and knew he would be lynched if it got back that he was sending "Thumbs Up" and faking data to get people to scoop him up.

afaik, the data Coop sent to his daughter is what the data TARS processed/interpreted by entering the black hole. Which explained how gravity could be used to their benefit and get the massive ship launched to the wormhole.

Hathaway found the inhabitable planet. Coop and her aged at the same rate, and they're both about 90 years older than they were on Earth at this point. She located where humans will ultimately live (if she is the one that setup camp, could have already been there. But her walking around with her helmet off means it had a livable atmosphere.) I may have missed the detail as to how life was sustained on the space station.

You can definitely call out bullshit that Coop entered a black hole and came out at roughly the same time he went in.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-08-14 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-08-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

An awesome spoiler filled interview with Jonathan Nolan. Good stuff here that answers your questions.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/...ource=facebook
Old 11-08-14, 02:44 PM
Banned

Nothing against you, but maybe I don't hang out at IGN as much as I did in the early days of it but holy fuck lately I've been hit by those bigass ads that cover the screen. Is that normal for IGN now or what?
Old 11-08-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nothing against you, but maybe I don't hang out at IGN as much as I did in the early days of it but holy fuck lately I've been hit by those bigass ads that cover the screen. Is that normal for IGN now or what?
Don't know. I just go off the shit that finds its way to my FB feed. I don't regularly read their stuff.
Old 11-08-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Just saw this movie another quality time at the movies courtesy of Nolan. I was really into until the las 20 min or so when it turn a bit too fantastical and convenient but oh well here is an article wih some of the plot holes, pretty interesting

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/11/08/in...ar-plot-holes/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.