Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
10.53%
27.37%
31.58%
12.63%
7.37%
5.26%
2.11%
1.05%
2.11%
0%
0%
Notsostellar
0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Now that we're posting spoilers...
Spoiler:
Can I mention how we no longer need a remake to The Black Hole?

Once they introduced that plot point of the black hole, I knew Coop was going into it.
Can I mention that there are SPOILER tags available, and they're fairly easy to use?
Old 11-07-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Didn't you know? On DVDTalk wanting to know what people thought of a movie means you're asking for spoilers. It's completely silly logic, but I think it ultimately won out in the end.
Old 11-07-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Over on Home Theater Forum, the positives soon got overwhelmed by the negatives:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topi...n-nolan/page-6
Old 11-07-14, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Their issues sound similar to the problem a lot of people had with Inception.

I liked Inception a lot, but it was a much more interesting movie before the heist plot really took off.
Old 11-07-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought that Inception's super-convoluted narrative basically smoke-screened the lack of actual character development. I was puzzled by the "sci-fi is about ideas" again raves for it when underneath the narrative gymnastics, it was basically about a their who did something illegal to go back home, essentially a really jazzy heist film with ooh-ah effects.

In the case Interstellar, I'm not sure what to think yet. There was clearly an attempt at the emotional heart with the character relationships, but I'm not sure yet if the mind-bending stuff was smart or just complicated. Initially, I though the theme being set up was old vs. new (Stay and farm vs. technology and move forward), but as the film progressed, I became a little less sure quite what its thesis was. Is it about mankind's destructive nature have a bad effect on the climate? The need to have faith in science and progress and never give up? The good of the individual vs. the good of the whole species? As the film moved forward, I wasn't entirely sure.

Nolan and Nolan still haven't mastered the fine art of dialogue which isn't way too on the nose either. "Love is one thing which can transcend space and time" can't help but sound a little bit like a greeting card either.

That said, whereas Inception was basically any action movie, this was different. It had spectacle and some set pieces-waves, docking-but I wasn't quite sure that on the whole, spectacle was its main goal and I think there'll be some complaints about it being "slow." I think it's a little to ambitious for its own good, but given that a studio was willing to give Nolan $160 million to make it and give it a small celluloid release, I was impressed by that alone, to be honest, and that something to celebrate.

Spoiler:
So there weren't any aliens, what was it then? Was it some sort of time-loop, the humans trying to lead themselves there? Why was Damon suddenly murder-happy? When he was in the black hole, he was able to perceive time in a way which allowed him to communicate with Murph in the past, but not actually cross over into it? Was he telling himself to stay in an attempt to change things? Why was Caine so duplicitous about Plan A? How did he gain the knowledge necessary to help her complete plan A? How can he encode something so complicated on the skipping second hand? How did Coop get out again? With Plan A as a success, was everything Hathaway did for nothing? Isn't she now a hundred years away? What is here accomplishment?
Old 11-07-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Seeing this in IMAX at 11:30. Love seeing it in the format when it's made for it. Film *loving sigh*
Enjoy it. IMAX are rolling out the new laser system shortly, this movie will be film's last stand
Old 11-07-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

One Star, 2 Films and Conflict

Jessica Chastain in a Publicity Tug of War

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/06/bu...=tw-share&_r=1
Old 11-07-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep, that stuff happens pretty regularly I hear, all things considered it seems fair. Whoever wrote that article has to have an ulterior motive, A Most Violent Year opens in late December, Chastain's contract apparently ends in early December, but then it mentions that she won't be able to campaign (in Europe) until mid-January. Kind of silly to write the details like that.
Old 11-07-14, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll write more about the but for now... If anyone didn't like 2001: A Space Odyssey... They'd do best to skip this one cuz it gets to be a heavy love letter to it at certain chunk of the film.

I liked it a good amount. I'm going out to drink and eat pizza now. Soooo first that and then my thoughts.
Old 11-07-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I still want to see it but shit like this worries me :

"...a third act of staggering wrongheadedness, along with female characters whose intellect takes a backseat to their exploding emotionalism and rage. Nolan is, presumably, among a handful of filmmakers who gets to do whatever he wants with minimal studio intrusion, but the resolution of “Interstellar” feels so inorganic that you'd swear it was concocted by a Glendale focus group." - The Wrap

"...spends hundreds of millions to take the audience on a journey to the farthest parts of the cosmos ... so they can be told sentiments as close, and as cheap, as any of the offerings at your local Hallmark card retailer." - The Playlist

"It’s a movie designed for people who watched the bedroom sequence in 2001 and wished there was more exposition about who built the room, how, why and what thread count was on that bed; Christopher Nolan, who aspires to Kubrick’s precision, cannot match his messy metaphysics. There’s an equation for every emotion in Interstellar, including love." - Badass Digest
Old 11-07-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

When the film was first announced I posted that Nolan would reach for 2001 A Space Odyssey greatness but we will get Prometheus lameness instead. Looks like I was correct.
Old 11-07-14, 04:39 PM
Banned

No. It's very far from Prometheus. Did you see it?
Old 11-07-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Is it the best M. Night Shamalan movie M. Night never made?
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoveler
Can I mention that there are SPOILER tags available, and they're fairly easy to use?
Not in the reviews thread. If you want spoiler free info then you have to comment in the general Interstellar thread.

FYI
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974
When the film was first announced I posted that Nolan would reach for 2001 A Space Odyssey greatness but we will get Prometheus lameness instead. Looks like I was correct.
Bullshit you were.
Old 11-07-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
With Plan A as a success, was everything Hathaway did for nothing? Isn't she now a hundred years away? What is here accomplishment?

No, she's still around although on a different colonized world, I believe. That's when Cooper, at the end, steals a ship and presumably flies over to be with her.

It will be in the sequel.

Cooper and Brand.
Old 11-07-14, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going into this movie all I really knew about it was that it currently has an IMDB rating of 9.2 and that it was directed by Christopher Nolan. I've seen all of Nolan's movies since Memento and liked all of them quiet a lot.

Thus I am saddened and somewhat surprised by how much i disliked it.

If Star Wars is a Space Opera than this is a Space Fairy Tale. I googled that term, I think I just coined it. :-)
Old 11-07-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm inferring from the drone that popped out of nowhere for Coop as well as the farming equipment that suddenly had magnetic/gravity issues that he engineered, that the original "THEY" that put the black hole there were the TARS units. Could very well be ones sent off with the original 12. (yeah, we get into time travel paradox if you think about it long enough)

But it makes sense that it's all been pre-programed. Shit, even Cooper's crashed test flight had a technical issue. Could have been the push to get him to be a farmer.

Then once he did the cycle, it was him making first contact in that black hole to Brand.
Old 11-07-14, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Notice the different planets and stuff. They originally land on that planet that's all water then to the planet that's all ice and then at the end Brand is on a red dirt planet. Mars? By the end and through Murph and Coop's morse code with the watches they were able to advance humanity forward with the equations that they had cracked.
Old 11-07-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Notice the different planets and stuff. They originally land on that planet that's all water then to the planet that's all ice and then at the end Brand is on a red dirt planet. Mars? By the end and through Murph and Coop's morse code with the watches they were able to advance humanity forward with the equations that they had cracked.
Brand is not on Mars. She's on Edmund's planet that Cooper vetoed going to so they could go to Mann's planet.
Old 11-07-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Saw this earlier today in IMAX. Great movie-going experience and I recommend seeing it in the best format available.

It did get mumbo-jumbo-ey with the fifth dimension stuff, but this was almost three hours long and was never boring

big
Old 11-07-14, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Saw it. Liked it overall, but it really felt like Nolan was trying to do a re-imagining of "2001" as opposed to his own work. IMAX is more or less the only way to see this , as Nolan seems to know how to use the format to the best effect. The movie was good up until

Spoiler:
Mr. Ripley showed up. I felt the whole fight between him and McConnaghey was superfluous. Also, what was it Cooper was saying during the fight with Mann? I really had trouble understanding the dialogue during the loud visual scenes. Nolan's movies need subtitles.

It's a shame that Fox is making The Martian. I think that if WB were making that as well they would have quite a trilogy with Interstellar and Gravity in the mix (not to mention oddly connected).
Old 11-07-14, 07:47 PM
Banned

I did have one scene I couldn't hear the dialogue for. The music was too loud sometimes for me. ALMOST overriding dialogue. I missed something thing that Tars said. Case and Tars were pretty cool. I actually cared about them.
Old 11-07-14, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Hmm, no, not quite.
Old 11-07-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Seemed more like Sunshine with a bit of 2001?

What would you say was the best part?
Spoiler:
the giant tidal waves?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.