Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Old 02-22-17, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins,) S: Gadot, Pine

I am interested in seeing the movie, however my hopes for it are low. The trailers so far have left me pretty under whelmed (save for the shots of the plane crashing and the subsequent dive off the cliff which looked beautiful). Gal Gadot has so far proven very little in the role. I have had reservations about her since her initial casting, and whilst she certainly looks good in the outfit, i think there were many actresses who could look just as good, if not better, and actually have an acting range. She has not had a chance to actually display an acting range in this role and this is where i am weary. People applauded her in BvS, but for me it fell flat. The character was pushed in where she wasn't needed and she did little to nothing to actually advance the plot. Her scenes required no great acting and as a result i left feeling like Wonder Woman in BvS was a huge waste of time. And that theme music for her is awful. Hated it the moment i heard it and continue to hate it. The trailers so far have made it appear to be an inferior copy of Captain America: The First Avenger, which i found an excellent movie.

As for the character of WW, well other than the fact she is an Amazonian Princess who has the lasso, the bracelets, headband, invisible plane and is incredibly strong.....i know nothing else. For me the character should not be flying anywhere. What was the whole point of the invisible plane if she can fly? Telekinesis with the lasso? Thats ridiculous. Never heard of that before and it sounds like its trying too hard to rip off Thor and his connection with Mjlonir.

Even though i am not a huge fan of the character or actress, i would still love to be pleasantly surprised by a solid solo movie and get me more interested in following the characters in subsequent movies. Gadot has the look, and i would love to be proven wrong that her acting ability is what is limiting the character.

The early word from the screening seem to be praising the movie, but this is certainly not the first time thats happened and a movie has proven to be a mess. Lets see i guess.
Old 02-22-17, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
For me the character should not be flying anywhere. What was the whole point of the invisible plane if she can fly?
In one of the DC animated movies (Crisis on Two Earths), Wonder Woman acquires the Invisible Jet, and the Flash asks her, "Why do you need a plane if you can fly?" Green Lantern replies, "You own a car."

Still, I understand your point. I personally loved it when flying was added to her abilities in the late 1980s. Considering her powers were given to her by the gods, including Hermes, it made perfect sense that she should now be able to fly.

Originally Posted by james2025a
Telekinesis with the lasso? Thats ridiculous. Never heard of that before and it sounds like its trying too hard to rip off Thor and his connection with Mjlonir.
I'm not sure, but I think this ability was only used on the Super Friends cartoon, so it should definitely be taken with a grain of salt (considering that, at times, the animation made it appear that Batman and Aquaman could fly). But given that Super Friends is one of the widest and earliest exposures of Wonder Woman to pop culture, some people may have accepted it as a given ability.
Old 02-22-17, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Still, I understand your point. I personally loved it when flying was added to her abilities in the late 1980s. Considering her powers were given to her by the gods, including Hermes, it made perfect sense that she should now be able to fly.
I believe she always had the ability to fly. I remember reading she could fly using wind currents as far back as the golden age version. She just used the invisible jet for long distances.
Old 02-22-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I believe she always had the ability to fly. I remember reading she could fly using wind currents as far back as the golden age version. She just used the invisible jet for long distances.
But flying and gliding on air currents are two different things. And she couldn't do either one during the Golden Age (gliding on air currents was introduced in the Silver Age), or on the Linda Carter show, or on Super Friends. It's only been post-crisis that she's been consistently able to fly. So yeah... flying under her own power was new as of 1985ish.
Old 02-22-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I think it's established in BvS that she can certainly leap and maybe fly. I mean think about it, how did she get to the Big Battle? I think at this point the GP at least knows she can leap long distances like the Original Superman.
Old 02-22-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I mean think about it, how did she get to the Big Battle?
Turkish Airlines, obviously.
Old 02-22-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I hope she can't fly. I like these superheroes to to be a little more different from one another.

I always thought the "gliding on air currents" sounded like it would make a great visual for comics and film.

I'm really hoping this film is good. The trailer looks exceptional and I was one of the original naysayers regarding Gal Gadot's casting. She really surprised me.
Old 02-22-17, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

I agree Gal has impress me so far. I disagree about her being a waste in BvS, I loved when she smiled after Doomsday knocked her on her ass and jump right back into the fight.

I thought she would be too skinny, but she has look pretty damn healthy.
Old 02-22-17, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
But flying and gliding on air currents are two different things. And she couldn't do either one during the Golden Age (gliding on air currents was introduced in the Silver Age), or on the Linda Carter show, or on Super Friends. It's only been post-crisis that she's been consistently able to fly. So yeah... flying under her own power was new as of 1985ish.
Yeah, it was the SA. I chalk it up to old age thinking it was in the GA. The issue which she did start gliding is considered her first SA issue.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Wonder_Woman_Vol_1_98
Old 02-22-17, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Well they're bankrolling the Marvel universe, so having a Doctor Strange and Ant-Man is something they can easily do without them making extreme bank. DC still needs to put out one decent film. Maybe Wonder Woman will be it. I wouldn't mind that. Doubtful, but I'll still see it no matter what.
Last I checked both Doctor Strange and Ant Man made over $500 million worldwide. They're no Avengers, but nothing at which to scoff.
Old 02-22-17, 07:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Of course not, but those two movies are on average seen as Marvel's weakest movies. DC is miles away from being able to take risks at this point. If WW and JL don't hit it with critics and fans, their sinking ship will go down. Actually, it'll probably mean Snyder will just be moved to producer.
Old 02-22-17, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing is Wonder Woman is considered one of the BIG 3 at DC. She's been around pop culture for decades and the average person could recognize her if shown a picture. Doctor Strange and Ant Man were only known mostly by comic fans previously.
Old 02-23-17, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Another thing is Wonder Woman is considered one of the BIG 3 at DC. She's been around pop culture for decades and the average person could recognize her if shown a picture. Doctor Strange and Ant Man were only known mostly by comic fans previously.
Same was true for Iron Man when it was released. In all honesty, the only Marvel movie character that was recognized on site by the average joe when they started the MCU was Spider-Man , with Hulk , Captain America, and maybe Woverine if they were pop culture savvy.

One thing the DCCU has going for it is a roster of heroes and villains that are pretty popular to average Americans. Just about anyone on the street could tell you the name of Superman's home planet and his father, as well as Batman's real name. While maybe not so much in the secret identity field, many recognize Wonder Woman and Green Lantern on site, and if he has his classic look I would wager Aquaman.
Old 03-10-17, 01:58 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Old 03-10-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Awesome poster. And the bright colors on her armor/skirt should appease all the people who obsess over that.
Old 03-10-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Blah, too much gold!
Old 03-10-17, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Not enough teal! I'm out.
Old 03-10-17, 04:34 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

dat ass
Old 03-10-17, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

New Teaser. They say a new trailer is coming tomorrow.

Old 03-10-17, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Caption of the poster:

"Who shitted on my lawn!"
Old 03-10-17, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Sonic
Caption of the poster:

"Who shitted on my lawn!"
Better caption:

"Who shit on my lawn?"
Old 03-10-17, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

"I wonder who shat on my lawn?"
Old 03-10-17, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Another awesome poster.

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

One thing the DCCU has going for it is a roster of heroes and villains that are pretty popular to average Americans. Just about anyone on the street could tell you the name of Superman's home planet and his father, as well as Batman's real name. While maybe not so much in the secret identity field, many recognize Wonder Woman and Green Lantern on site, and if he has his classic look I would wager Aquaman.
Which is why despite their quality thus far, they will still rake in the dough. Unlike early Marvel films, these heroes have a built in fanbase eager for these flicks.
Old 03-11-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

That's weird ... why would you release a new trailer on Sunday? I would think Friday on the new release movies. Is there a TV show/network with ties (like Disney does with ABC shows) and they are trying to drive traffic?
Old 03-11-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Where did you get Sunday from? I thought the trailer was dropping today.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.